Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Mr Phillby posted:

Its hosed up on the embed but displays correctly if you click through. The answer as usual is 'elon musk fired everyone competent at twitter and replaced them with terrified sycophants'

I've clicked through and it's still a tiny rectangle floating in a sea of black. Though I'll happily blame elon musk for the world's ills anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

There is a one word response to this: Corbyn.

While it was closer than initially expected, people ultimately didn’t vote for him because of they did not think better things were possible. If he was not corrupt, it could only be because he was stupid, racist or a foreign agent.
Then again people noticed that Boris Johnson was corrupt, stupid, racist, and compromised, and didn't care.

And he used that to legalize no fault divorce, liberalize abortion law for the first time since the 60s, and place cannabis legalization on a serious public platform for the first time, making him the greatest UK social reformer since Roy Jenkins.

In between all the obvious laziness and corruption of course.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Angepain posted:

I've clicked through and it's still a tiny rectangle floating in a sea of black. Though I'll happily blame elon musk for the world's ills anyway
I guess im lucky to have a twitter app where its not broken then lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Then again people noticed that Boris Johnson was corrupt, stupid, racist, and compromised, and didn't care.

And he used that to legalize no fault divorce, liberalize abortion law for the first time since the 60s, and place cannabis legalization on a serious public platform for the first time, making him the greatest UK social reformer since Roy Jenkins.

In between all the obvious laziness and corruption of course.

It's very funny that the most popular PM in the Tory brainworm community is the man who is objectively as anti-conservative as they come. The only reason he's in the tories and not something else is it's the party of establishment power and he knows where his bread is buttered.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They'll forget that in about a series time though. Like how the borg went from 'one drone touches you once and now your ship and crew are infested with nanites you can never get rid of' to Voyager's 'ehh it's fine, we'll just reverse the polarity on the gel packs and do some hyposprays after half the ship was taken over by a cubeful.'

The Borg were never that. The nanoprobes aren't a magic techno virus, they're a tool directed by the will of the collective. The closest the Borg came to acting as that kind of infestation was First Contact, and as soon as the queen and all her drones were dead the leftover tech was inert. If nanoprobes did half the things Lore Guys have deluded themselves into thinking they do, the Borg wouldn't even need to move drones around, they'd just beam a blob of nanoprobes into a ship and the walls would start giving people the neck stab. At that point you're just describing Homeworld Cataclysm.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

radmonger posted:

There is a one word response to this: Corbyn.

While it was closer than initially expected, people ultimately didn’t vote for him because of they did not think better things were possible. If he was not corrupt, it could only be because he was stupid, racist or a foreign agent.

Starmer has complete factional power in the Labour Party, and had a close up view of that process. All his staff numbers guys are telling him what he already knows; trying the same thing would fail in the same way. Any offering of hope would be rejected; his only chance is to slip into office without anyone noticing, or much caring

It very likely is impossible for Moffat, or anyone else, to write.a TV series that changes the culture that causes that to be the case. To pave the way for a Corbyn 2.0 in a way that Star Trek and the West Wing paved the way for Obama and his VP.

But he didn’t say it was possible; he said it was necessary. And on that he is very likely right.

What a treat, an unhinged dollop of neoliberal ideology from radmonger to kick off the year as it will continue, absolutely devoid of hope of anything better!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm pretty certain hope died off at the end of the last decade

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hope caught covid and died.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

can't wait to see what social catastrophe or global crisis will define this year #blessed

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

link

Yet more proof that we are on the hell timeline

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
“Star Trek paved the way for Obama” is one of the smoothest-brain takes of the year already

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The biggest problem with The West Wing is that it made liberal hang-wringing incompetence something heroic that shitbrained British inbred politicians want to copy, like the trained monkeys they can only aspire to

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

kecske posted:

can't wait to see what social catastrophe or global crisis will define this year #blessed

Taiwan next

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

“Star Trek paved the way for Obama” is one of the smoothest-brain takes of the year already

I mean, the mouse trap of events is real, people just overestimate how likely a republican could win in Illinois.

For those that don't know, filming Star Trek Voyager led to the collapse of lead actor Annika Hansen's marriage, and the public divorce hearings revealed her husband to be a shitbag and sex pervert, which meant he dropped out of the race to be a senator in Illinois, meaning Barack Obama won in a landslide, which some then claim is why he was able to run for president while still a freshman senator.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We have the Irish unification to look forward to this year

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tesseraction posted:

lead actor Annika Hansen's

Lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

I mean, the mouse trap of events is real, people just overestimate how likely a republican could win in Illinois.

For those that don't know, filming Star Trek Voyager led to the collapse of lead actor Annika Hansen's marriage, and the public divorce hearings revealed her husband to be a shitbag and sex pervert, which meant he dropped out of the race to be a senator in Illinois, meaning Barack Obama won in a landslide, which some then claim is why he was able to run for president while still a freshman senator.

Have I missed something (like is this a kind of 'tease' post?)

I googled that because I was confused.
Annika Hansen was the name of 7 of 9 played by Jeri Ryan.
Annica Hansen (born Annika Hansen) is a German presenter & model.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have I missed something (like is this a kind of 'tease' post?)

I googled that because I was confused.
Annika Hansen was the name of 7 of 9 played by Jeri Ryan.
Annica Hansen (born Annika Hansen) is a German presenter & model.

I think Tesseraction just mixed up Jeri Ryan with her character's birth name. It was Jeri Ryan's husband who was the republican.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Reveilled posted:

I think Tesseraction just mixed up Jeri Ryan with her character's birth name. It was Jeri Ryan's husband who was the republican.

Aha! That makes more sense!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1741782514270671194

:toot:

(Imagine bragging about this as the first thing you do in 2024. What a oval office, eh?)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Remarkable really just how far we’ve come that Government Comms department has brainstormed that as the first thing to kick off a new (election) year

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Keith and Sunak should forget debates and just compete in a special edition of the BBCs new Gladiators where they each have to beat up foreigners in a variety of wacky ways to see who can get a high score.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Rishi Sunk

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

smellmycheese posted:

Keith and Sunak should forget debates and just compete in a special edition of the BBCs new Gladiators where they each have to beat up foreigners in a variety of wacky ways to see who can get a high score.

Starmer briefly allows himself to shed a single tear (elaborate fake tear deployment mechanism fitted ahead of time) in the middle of the carnage due to the tragedy of his duty before immediately getting back to the pummelling. The newspapers quickly declare him a weak woke hippy who won't stay strong for britain and he loses in a landslide to an ai-generated bully xl dog who only communicates in slurs

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Aha! That makes more sense!

Also famous for cavorting about in a helicopter following studio instructions.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1741782514270671194

:toot:

(Imagine bragging about this as the first thing you do in 2024. What a oval office, eh?)

I'm betting that this has been a massive problem and the streets of British university towns are flushed with families of international students. One thousand years from now men will still say: "This was Rishi's finest hour, too bad that he didn't stop the small boats, inshallah."

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Student housing has been making the news as everything has been snapped up by landlords demanding more than mere students can give, if it's even for residence and not just for speculative value. This move is a cheap soundbite to answer that question.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I'm betting that this has been a massive problem and the streets of British university towns are flushed with families of international students. One thousand years from now men will still say: "This was Rishi's finest hour, too bad that he didn't stop the small boats, inshallah."

Last year, the number of student visas issued to dependants stood at 136,000 - an eight-fold increase from 2019, when 16,000 were provided.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Edit: No one cares. It doesn’t matter

IllusionistTrixie fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 1, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Azza Bamboo posted:

Student housing has been making the news as everything has been snapped up by landlords demanding more than mere students can give, if it's even for residence and not just for speculative value. This move is a cheap soundbite to answer that question.

Lmfao. No it’s not. It’s flagrant racism laser targeted at the bitter gammons the Torys think they need to prop up their vote

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

smellmycheese posted:

Lmfao. No it’s not. It’s flagrant racism laser targeted at the bitter gammons the Torys think they need to prop up their vote

What's the difference?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how many international students even bring their families? this is a drop in the bucket

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

how many international students even bring their families? this is a drop in the bucket

Just had a quick look for some numbers, but all I found in a fairly cursory search was percentages of international students bringing dependents which is a pretty useless number out of context. Numbers are probably there somewhere but my eyes are closing & need for a nana nap is overwhelming my brain.

A bit more:

https://thepienews.com/news/enroly-data-shows-international-students-bring-1-6-dependants/

quote:

The data found that there has been a significant increase in the number of incoming international students to the UK who are bringing dependants. In the September 2021 intake, 6.41% of international students brought a dependant compared to September 2022 when 10.97% had done so.

https://thepienews.com/news/enroly-data-shows-international-students-bring-1-6-dependants/

Does it mean only 1 dependant (so what about those bringing more) or does it mean 'any dependants'?'?

Also context - postgrads aged 26+

The data found that there has been a significant increase in the number of incoming international students to the UK who are bringing dependants. In the September 2021 intake, 6.41% of international students brought a dependant compared to September 2022 when 10.97% had done so.

ok sleepy time.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 1, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Anyone bringing a dependent has to show cash in hand or meet the income requirements. Also dependents don't qualify for public funds.

The only benefit is dependents are allowed to work without restriction not subject to any resident labour market test. They are not allowed to use their job to "count" as their support £££ though.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Z the IVth posted:

Also dependents don't qualify for public funds.

BUT THEY GET GIVEN A 12 BEDROOM HOUSE FOR FREE :bahgawd:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

sinky posted:

BUT THEY GET GIVEN A 12 BEDROOM HOUSE FOR FREE :bahgawd:

Yeah the gammon fundamentally fails to understand this entire dynamic. Refugees/Asylum seekers have a completely different set of entitlements but the study visa system requires everyone coming to be essentially pre-funded at point of arrival. The gammon thinks it's a wave of poor brown people coming to study when in reality most students are (very) rich internationals closer to Boris Johnson and his ilk.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

SNW is nostalgia for the forgotten optimism of TOS hidden in a darkened corner of a streaming service within a streaming service that nobody watches.

SNW is on the exact same streaming service as Discovery and is if anything more popular.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 2, 2024

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
January 1st and Sainsbury's have started to roll out the Easter chocolates...

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If only someone had posted the actual number like a couple of posts ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"What Britain needs less of is people with stable family relationships and the wherewithal and ambition to pursue higher education" - rishi