Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Volte posted:

I think Win8 was the peak of their tabletization of the UI and subsequent iterations have been walking it back a bit. IIRC all that was the bright idea of the previous regime under Steve Ballmer and things started turning around after Satya Nadella took over as CEO.

under the new leadership you can look forward to every corner of win12 being stuffed with useless AI bullshit that nobody wants, however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Listen, if I can get an embedded AI girlfriend that way, I'm all for it.

e: update: my AI ex-girlfriend took out a restraining order against me

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol @ all of you non-DOS scrubs

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Volte posted:

I think Win8 was the peak of their tabletization of the UI and subsequent iterations have been walking it back a bit. IIRC all that was the bright idea of the previous regime under Steve Ballmer and things started turning around after Satya Nadella took over as CEO.

Ya this is a good summary of windows from then to now. W8 was unusable, also that's when touch screen laptops were the craze. THE WORST IDEA EVER, your whole screen looks dirty because you wanted to scroll up and decided to use your nacho fingers.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Listen, if I can get an embedded AI girlfriend that way, I'm all for it.

e: update: my AI ex-girlfriend took out a restraining order against me

I hate to break it to you, but Cortana was discontinued.

There's a Bungie joke in there somewhere. RIP

e: My win8 surface pro was actually pretty cool, I liked being able to highlight and make annotations with the stylus. It had a little button for right click too. I've been considering resurrecting it as a spotify machine for the sound system.

I'm sure the desktop experience was balls though

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 1, 2024

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am absolutely hooked on this game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/790060/The_Void_Rains_Upon_Her_Heart/

Bullet hell action Roguelike

The amount of content is absurd and can get very challenging. Binding of Isaac is probably one of my favorite games of all time and this game brings me that “let me try another run” feeling

I’m 7 hours in and I’ve only cleared 9% of the game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ihmemies posted:

I began to see a pattern... do so many game studios really put out so much bad games these days? Or maybe there's something common with them.. a same publisher maybe, forcing to release unfinished games and then drown them in DLC's?

Personally I am done with any game coming from Paradox in future.

Vicky 3 is great don’t particularly care what to online nerds say

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't really care about upgrading to Win 11 in general but currently it's telling me my computer where the oldest thing in it is a 3080 can't be upgraded and while I'm sure it's a BIOS setting I haven't exactly felt pressed to figure it out. Plus, at least a little while ago VR things didn't work very well on 11 so I found that a pretty good reason to wait. I'll upgrade before EOL of 10 but I might also set up a Linux dual boot when I do because Windows has been getting worse for multiple versions in regards to poo poo it installs and activates by default. I don't enjoy having to registry edit to turn off features from the biggest OS and their push towards AI doesn't fill me with confidence.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mr E posted:

I don't really care about upgrading to Win 11 in general but currently it's telling me my computer where the oldest thing in it is a 3080 can't be upgraded and while I'm sure it's a BIOS setting I haven't exactly felt pressed to figure it out.

It's probably your CPU.
Microsoft wants a particular modern CPU feature to be available that they can use to try to enforce DRM (unsuccessfully) so they're attempting to restrict systems without it from upgrading.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone play and willing to give a post their thoughts on Colony Ship? I know it's not inscrutable as Age of Decadence (a game I desperately wanted to like but was just too hard and specific) but looking at the reviews it seems like both the combat an social routes through the game have their drawbacks. The "most helpful" reviews on Steam mention that combat can become a real slog with its pacing very slow and difficulty just being "enemies got more health, accuracy and numbers" instead of it being a clever combat puzzle. Meanwhile social lets you bypass combat in a lot of cases but you do miss out on a ton of exp and items. Any truth to these or are they exaggerations?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mr E posted:

I don't really care about upgrading to Win 11 in general but currently it's telling me my computer where the oldest thing in it is a 3080 can't be upgraded and while I'm sure it's a BIOS setting I haven't exactly felt pressed to figure it out. Plus, at least a little while ago VR things didn't work very well on 11 so I found that a pretty good reason to wait. I'll upgrade before EOL of 10 but I might also set up a Linux dual boot when I do because Windows has been getting worse for multiple versions in regards to poo poo it installs and activates by default. I don't enjoy having to registry edit to turn off features from the biggest OS and their push towards AI doesn't fill me with confidence.

for most motherboards there's a BIOS update which changes the defaults to what win11 wants

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Only an hour into Erannorth Chronicles but I feel like these cards have way too many stats and like I've already hosed up my character :ohdear:
Playing on the recommended difficulty, which I'm guessing is Easy, so it's probably fine but idk. Just feel like I have no idea what I'm doing and just clicking on enemies with little thought.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on DotAGE ?

It feels more like a city builder / manager than Against the Storm and I quite liked that. You have milestones you have to meet or it death spirals, but it doesn't feel like you're solving a puzzle the way AtS does.

It's also really good about having all the necessary information upfront on the main UI. You barely have to go into submenus for stuff.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I bought and played the 2005 Neversoft developed game GUN (https://store.steampowered.com/app/2610/GUN/)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR-_jnT1cGE

and it is amusing to me how much more this game feels like the first in the Red Dead series than Red Dead Revolver. A (small) open world, narrative game, third person shooter with bullet time, and basic sidequests like wanted posters, cattle herding, big game hunting, poker. You will be randomly attacked by bandits. It also has a button for holstering your weapon.

And I think it holds up! Gameplay wise yes, story mostly (with a big asterisk, stuff like a scalping mechanic that does nothing and can be ignored but yikes even for 2005).

It has a great voice cast too: Thomas Jane as the main character, with Kris Kristofferson, Lance Henriksen, Brad Dourif, Ron Perlman, Tom Skerritt.

This was the third time I can remember playing it, first on the Gamecube and then also on the PSP (which had a multiplayer mode I think I got to play once, with maybe two other people, back when every game had to have a multiplayer mode). There's a widescreen fix out there that worked okay, but it made the cursor off-center from where you were really clicking but it didnt matter except for menus. A fun ~8 hour game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PlushCow posted:

I bought and played the 2005 Neversoft developed game GUN (https://store.steampowered.com/app/2610/GUN/)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR-_jnT1cGE

and it is amusing to me how much more this game feels like the first in the Red Dead series than Red Dead Revolver. A (small) open world, narrative game, third person shooter with bullet time, and basic sidequests like wanted posters, cattle herding, big game hunting, poker. You will be randomly attacked by bandits. It also has a button for holstering your weapon.

And I think it holds up! Gameplay wise yes, story mostly (with a big asterisk, stuff like a scalping mechanic that does nothing and can be ignored but yikes even for 2005).

It has a great voice cast too: Thomas Jane as the main character, with Kris Kristofferson, Lance Henriksen, Brad Dourif, Ron Perlman, Tom Skerritt.

This was the third time I can remember playing it, first on the Gamecube and then also on the PSP (which had a multiplayer mode I think I got to play once, with maybe two other people, back when every game had to have a multiplayer mode). There's a widescreen fix out there that worked okay, but it made the cursor off-center from where you were really clicking but it didnt matter except for menus. A fun ~8 hour game.

This was a good game for the time. And yes it’s still fun today as well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What I mostly remember about that game was having a hell of a time searching for a pirated version of it on my college’s directconnect hub

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's technically an open world game, it's just that said world is small and rather empty. It can't rely on NPCs, vehicles and buildings as much as GTA 3 did.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
If you for some reason don't have Oblivion, it's two bucks on GOG: https://www.gog.com/en/game/elder_scrolls_iv_oblivion_game_of_the_year_edition_deluxe_the

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's still overpriced as hell.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

better than Starfield

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

better than Starfield

That's an insanely low bar.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Oblivion is a great game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shivering Isles was good

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Dackel posted:

I can roll my eyes at all the paradox releases but I'm legit mad they got involved with Across the Obelisk. Using the paradox launcher, pricing DLCs higher than the base game. Recent reviews are mostly negative now.

yeah this one really gets to me too :smith:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Shivering Isles was good

Remember when that one character was randomly talking about cheese? What a knee-slapper.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Grabbed the Space Engineers DLC since it's on sale and it's been a couple of years. What's good in mods and workshop content these days? I like putting together machines in relaxed survival mode and generally just having a nice little time. There's no real thread for this stuff these days hey?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Black Griffon posted:

Grabbed the Space Engineers DLC since it's on sale and it's been a couple of years. What's good in mods and workshop content these days? I like putting together machines in relaxed survival mode and generally just having a nice little time. There's no real thread for this stuff these days hey?

[metal gear solid alert sound]

I put Space Engineers in my GOTY:

quote:

7. Space Engineers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnRKOp-Cq8c

Here's a weird one! This should not be my game. I struggle with sandbox games, I struggle with games that have no plots, and I struggle with games that feature flying due to how easily I get motion sickness.

Space Engineers is a game defined by being, effectively, a physics engine with a bit of gameplay wrapped around it. You come to this game to build vehicles, fly them, get them wrecked, and build new vehicles.

If you enjoy this loop - there's a lot to do. There's mining, building weird fun structures, and combat. Okay I feel a little bit like I'm lying, the game is still - weirdly - barebones? After ten years, there's a lot to do, but the game still feels empty. There's no reason to explore because the terrain is proc-gen and not in the somewhat interesting way in No Man's Sky. There's no story to pursue, no weird stuff to find. Even when the devs added space stations and an economy, it's still lightweight, weird.

So wait, you might ask. Where did the ten years of development go? Into the toolbox, I say! Do you want to build fully functioning vehicles - trucks, starships, more - all with working physics? Do you want to taunt KLANG HIMSELF as you install pistons to your ship? Do you want to build a fully working space elevator?

Yeah. It's a game for engineers who want a bigger, better lego set and they think Minecraft isn't complex enough.

I, unfortunately, am not an engineer. I never had many legos as a kid, and I don't think in 3D space. "visualize an apple, now rotate it" can't do it.

I found my fun anyways, because with the aid of a fan of the game and mods, this game turned into one of the neatest "chill and do busywork" games I've ever played, with a side of Satisfactory for good measure.

So here's how it works: first, we turn off voxel deformation. This effectively disables mining, but it makes driving and flying a lot safer: crashing into the ground doesn't do damage to vehicles. This helps solve my "I suck at flying" problems. We replace mining with static mining drills that with some tweaking turn electricity into raw resources.

Next, we use a big industry overhaul mod that adds a lot of intermediate components and asks you to build huge bases that can accommodate your now ludicrous factory. This gives me a bigger sense of progression as I can work towards expanding the base, and it takes a lot more work than slapping some structures down. And god help me if I want to make the base pretty. (I DO.)

Add in a mod that spawns in vehicles and structures at random times, and tweak it so it doesn't spawn in the "killbot 9000" type stuff that would just vaporize us. We definitely can't afford base defenses at all yet, let alone for stuff trying to kill us from orbit. (For protection, have at least one person with admin powers so they can delete anything that spawns in that slipped past our filters. Or if the RNG gives us 5 of the same wreck in a row and we're bored.)

Finally, add stargates! Make the admin put a working stargate on every planet (with its own power and admin safezone so they won't be destroyed) and you're all set to go.

Gameplay becomes - work on the base, realize that you want to build X but it needs Y, so to get Y you either need to mine it or scavenge it, and since you're not ready to go build another new mining outpost, time to scavenge.

Some wrecks are safe to approach and just start dismantling. Some are, uh, not. Some are armed and want to kill you. Either way, this becomes the heart of the game: building vehicles that can answer these challenges.

In Space Engineers, even modded, you have a small inventory and you are not durable. The game is all but begging you to build stuff, please, it has all of these cool mechanics engage with them! And so - you do! You build a lovely starter truck so you can drive to these wrecks instead of walking for 5-15 minutes to reach them. You build a new truck with armor and horrific grinding stuff on it so you can drive up to a wreck and just start grinding it down into materials with your truck, instead of your hand-grinder. You realize that driving, while fun, is really difficult on this planet full of trees. You put thrusters on it instead and make a hover-bike. You make an airplane built for cargo. You build a flying base. You build a flying base that can enter orbit.

You dream about doing these things as you hosed up and got your truck obliterated by a hostile Halo tank that the mod imported, and you sigh as you put the blueprint of your truck (that you saved before leaving the base, right) into the base so it will remake your truck for you. You realize, halfway through, that it's out of rotors. Again. The gently caress. Who's been using the rotors? Your beloved friend used them all to make their own giant-rear end grinder motorcycle that can fly? And there won't be more rotors until you fix the base's power supply because SOMEONE crashed into the giant windmill that was powering the whole thing? And while the solar panels could cover this, it's currently night and won't be day for another few hours because this planet sucks? You angrily sigh and build scaffolding and repair the windmill, but on your way back down, you accidentally fall off of said scaffolding, hit the ground and take 99999 damage. You were maybe 3 feet away from the ground, but, well

SPACE ENGINEERS

When it works, it's sublime. We've watched AI-controlled capital starships have fights in orbit that we could see from the ground, and then flown out to find their broken wrecks and harvest them. We've built ludicrous structures and made vehicles that Just Work. I'm extremely fond of my fold-out staircase ramp into my starship.

When it doesn't work, it's a janky piece of poo poo that has everyone running for the admin, begging them to fix it. And sometimes that means "aw poo poo, we have to reboot the server". And sometimes that means you break open the wrong cargo container and a giant mass of ALIEN LAKE ICE explodes into reality and sends your corpse into space.

SPACE ENGINEERS: someone should have admin powers. No, seriously. Even if they never use them and play the game like a regular player, they should have them in their back pocket for when something will break.

But - god. It's so goddamn satisfying to watch that windmill spin as I fly away on my stupid looking brick, heading for the stargate, because I built a working mining outpost on another planet and I want to see how much naquadah it's harvested for me. It's so cool to fly up on a starship you built yourself and leave the planet and fly out at warp speed to go see the space station your friends are building, or the base they're building into an asteroid. It's so cool to listen to your railgun turrets hum to life and obliterate something you didn't know was a threat.

I don't know of any other game that can do that, let alone on this scale.

And no, it doesn't really have a thread but the Niche Sim thread will talk about it.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

ymgve posted:

If you for some reason don't have Oblivion, it's two bucks on GOG: https://www.gog.com/en/game/elder_scrolls_iv_oblivion_game_of_the_year_edition_deluxe_the
You can do much better for under $2 on GOG:

Arx Fatalis
Deus Ex
Deus Ex 2: Invisible War
Divinity 2: Developer's Cut
Dungeon Keeper Gold
Dungeon Keeper 2
Or any other Bullfrog game.
Jade Empire
Majesty Gold HD
Metro 2033 Redux
Metro: Last Light Redux
Mirror's Edge
Thief Gold
Thief 2: The Metal Age
Thief 3: Deadly Shadows
The Witcher

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Hey, that game you like? It loving sucks, don't even think about playing it

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rebel Blob posted:

You can do much better for under $2 on GOG:

Deus Ex 2: Invisible War
Ouch.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Azran posted:

After an amazing initial impression, Jagged Alliance 3 drops the ball so hard with one of the most massive difficulty spikes I've ever seen in an XCom-like. It went from an easy 10 and GOTY to something I don't think I'll ever replay. You go from fighting numerous but poorly-equipped mooks to excelently-equipped enemies with skills and equipment like yours, but who are still just as numerous as before. Most of the new enemies get to shoot as soon as the battle starts, their snipers can crit-kill your less resilients mercenaries from behind cover, at night, from off-screen, and even if you take full cover half their squads are equipped with AoE stun grenade launchers who reduce your action points and force you to wait a bit on the campaign layer before continuing on your way.

It all starts with an ambush battle where your team is betrayed and left in a wide open position surrounded by these enemies unless you reload after the betrayal and open fire first before talking to the NPC that triggers the ambush. Cheesing the fight is the only way to have your team in any sort of advantageous position. The story fight before the ambush is a siege against 30 or so of the previously mentioned badly-equipped troops so it's very likely you're low on supplies. And the main port away from that area of the map is where the ambush happens so unless you manually maneuver around it, the autopathing will dump you straight into the ambush.

When does this happen? I’m pretty deep into the story I thought and haven’t experienced anything like this.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Half of these games are jank as poo poo and not nearly as easy to just pick up and play as Oblivion is

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Volte posted:

Bethesda is the new Blizzard. Although I think some people are still mad about Oblivion not launching with some features that were in the promos.

Y’all should also get the games on this list though!
Well, maybe not Witcher 1 or Invisible War unless you have a tolerance for jank on par with Oblivion. And titty trading cards.

Majesty also kinda stops working towards the end of the main campaign but it’s a great ride until you get there. The expansion included in the gog version is sadly equally flawed

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 1, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:hmmno:

Cross-Section posted:

Half of these games are jank as poo poo and not nearly as easy to just pick up and play as Oblivion is

:hmmyes:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

StrixNebulosa posted:

[metal gear solid alert sound]

I put Space Engineers in my GOTY:

And no, it doesn't really have a thread but the Niche Sim thread will talk about it.

Ah hell yeah, cheers. Absolutely will not come with you on the no voxel deformation, to such a degree that I'm gonna somehow hack your server into toggling voxel deformation and then build a captial ship and crash it into you, but the rest of the stuff sounds sick. No idea what exact mods you're using, but I'll throw up a post in the niche sim thread too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Maybe a little red ball is more your speed

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sab669 posted:

Only an hour into Erannorth Chronicles but I feel like these cards have way too many stats and like I've already hosed up my character :ohdear:
Playing on the recommended difficulty, which I'm guessing is Easy, so it's probably fine but idk. Just feel like I have no idea what I'm doing and just clicking on enemies with little thought.

Do not worry about it. That said - I would try to concentrate on one or two skills to start with, trim your active deck down a bit so you're not keeping track of too many things.

That said I'm sure it's possible to play the game efficiently. It's just that my entire playstyle has been 'lmao whee' so I can't help.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Volte posted:

drat, forgot about this. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Bing Bong theory shelder voice: I’d sooner clean install Windows 11 on my terabyte Seagate drive than play this so called “game”, if it even deserves to be named as such!