Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The only good Pokemon game is a Pokemon game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
got mario rpg for Christmas, gonna boot that poo poo up shortly. question - is there still that frog coin with insane one-time only chance to grab by jumping off of a moving toad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
no, they casualified it by adding a perma toad there

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

got mario rpg for Christmas, gonna boot that poo poo up shortly. question - is there still that frog coin with insane one-time only chance to grab by jumping off of a moving toad

In the first half of the game, its the only way. Half-way through, they add a Toad near the door you can jump on to get up there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Palmtree Panic posted:

In the first half of the game, its the only way. Half-way through, they add a Toad near the door you can jump on to get up there.

Nah they add that toad as soon as you meet Mallow (though he isn't in there when the castle is taken over)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Looper posted:

no, they casualified it by adding a perma toad there

Those Toads have always been there. What they did was just remove the invisible wall that shows up for no reason to block that off.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Psycho Society posted:

the only good pokemon games are red, gold, stadium, and snap

The only good pokemon games are yellow (because the mew glitch lets you completely bypass the concept of version exclusives), Pokemon TCG, Stadium, Snap and New Snap.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Look even to little kid me who was over the moon hyped about 3D Pokémon battles, the Stadium games were awful. Where is this appreciation for them coming from lol

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The minigames were fun.

But you pretty much need your own team if you want to actually make progress in the battle modes since the rentals are poo poo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Disco Elysium is good, really good. Much better than the hype, even. It's all about narrative though so if you just like clicking through dialogue, you won't get anything out of it.

My player character rage quit halfway through the first day.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

My biggest issue with Mario RPG is that I got to Midas River and now I am trapped by my brain into getting the max coin reward. I hate you, brain.

Also I checked out and while they did remove some missables from the original like that chest, they kept some in still but nothing mayor, most are just extra Frog Coins, a few Flower Tabs/Jars, the shop that sells bomb items, and the Feather accessory (you can buy one later but yechnically the first copy is missable)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm going to try to finish SMRPG tonight on the SNES classic. I'm at the 6 Doors thing in Bowser's Keep which I figure is close to the end. It's ok... I'll say more when I've finished it.

Chronojam posted:

Disco Elysium is good, really good. Much better than the hype, even. It's all about narrative though so if you just like clicking through dialogue, you won't get anything out of it.

One of the best games I've ever experienced. I can't quite say played because there's not a lot of interaction really but that's not the point. The writing is the equivalent of any of the best science-fiction fantasy epics; the voice-acting trumps all but the best animated movies, and I'd even place it among the top 5; the music sits alongside some of the best scores of any media. It's crazy how good the game is. I'd love to read Kurvitz's novel, I know there's two fan translations out there, but I have no idea how good they could be. The game single-handedly got me to listen to Sea Power, which has become one of my favorite bands now (oddly I heard their debut when it came out and it passed me by, no accounting for taste as a high-schooler I guess). It could legitimately be taught and should be if it were easier to experience chunks of it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

My biggest issue with Mario RPG is that I got to Midas River and now I am trapped by my brain into getting the max coin reward. I hate you, brain.

Also I checked out and while they did remove some missables from the original like that chest, they kept some in still but nothing mayor, most are just extra Frog Coins, a few Flower Tabs/Jars, the shop that sells bomb items, and the Feather accessory (you can buy one later but yechnically the first copy is missable)

Most of the missables don't really matter.

In fact the real annoyance with the hidden frog coin chest isn't really missing a frog coin, plenty of ways to get those. It's that there are hidden chest trackers that tell you there's a chest left that you can no longer get, which can probably get mildly irritating for players trying to figure out where it is since the game essentially sends them on a wild goose chase.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Chronojam posted:

For reals.

I wouldn't call it exactly hilarious but just a nodding kind of "oh, of course" acceptance. As the "player" you would be pissed off in any other game but not here.

loving brilliant!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ok. SMRPG SNES version rolled credits. This was my first time playing it so I had 0 nostalgia for this game. The timed attack/defense mechanics are very fun at first, but do get a bit tedious as it plays out, but I'm glad it introduced the world to that. It's a charming game, the highlight for me was the Nimbus kingdom, Dodo has a great character design. It took me a long time to beat though because honestly, I got bored. People have called the remake easy, the SNES version is no different. This game is dead-easy. It's clearly designed to be a beginner JRPG, which is fine, but honestly if you don't have nostalgia for it or if you aren't a Mario fan, this game is going to bore you.

I would highly recommend it for a first JRPG to a kid or adult who has yet to try the genre. A lot newer games, take Xenoblades, but other stuff like Octopath let alone the modern FF games have a lot going under the hood. You can get them eventually, but this is a good way to ease into the genre, much how DQ is too. It's cool it was remade, I can see who it's targeted to but I'm glad I had the SNES Classic to try it out, because I would've been annoyed to have paid money for this game in particular.

I'd like to try out the Paper Mario games eventually, but I fear it'll be a bit of a similar experience, dead-easy gameplay coasting on a lot of charm, that I may very well not care too much about. Seeing as they're mostly free thanks to NSO it's not a huge problem but still.

Now I can fully focus on Pikmin 4 (and FE: Engage... and RE4...).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Paper Mario can be kind of difficult and does require some strategy in build out. It's not very difficult if you use good strategy, but unlike Super Mario RPG, you actually have to use good strategy a lot of the time.

Mario and Luigi I think you might like better as a next one to try. It's on switch online first of all, rather than more strategic thinking it requires more dexterity as you can dodge every attack or even counter. It also has a more reasonable length than any of the Paper Mario games.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Mario and Luigi I think you might like better as a next one to try. It's on switch online first of all, rather than more strategic thinking it requires more dexterity as you can dodge every attack or even counter. It also has a more reasonable length than any of the Paper Mario games.

Oh yeah I've done the M&L games through Bowser's Inside Story. They were a lot of fun at the time. Novel too just having 2 characters in them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does the Mario RPG remake have any modernized/QoL gameplay changes?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spacebump posted:

You can fast travel to any zone from almost anywhere in the game. Many zones have multiple points you can choose from for the fast travel.

You can swap characters out mid battle without using your turn to do so(previously you could not swap characters out mid battle).

You get the hidden treasure finding item very early in the game instead of very late. The very late version has been changed to an upgraded version.

Elite enemies with better stats and hp appear occasionally, they always drop a frog coin, which means less grinding for frog coins.

Every attack and defense now has a visual '!' appear to indicate the proper timing. This stops appearing if you start consistently succeeding on that timed attack, though it reappears if you start missing them a lot.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
There are some timings for defense in the remake that are interesting with the ! cue because I've played through the original nearly a dozen times and could never guard some attacks, to the point I could have sworn they were just unblockable.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Psycho Society posted:

my childhood enjoyment of Fire Red and Sapphire pwn j00

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Psycho Society posted:

B/W2, X/Y, HG/SS, and the Arceus spinoff are good

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

GBA and DS is an almost unbroken streak of peak Pokemon. The only bad ones in that run are Diamond and Pearl, and even then Platinum exists as a good version of those games.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Spacebump posted:

You can also hold more/less items. Instead of everything taking up the same 29 slots, items have a max limit. So you can hold a max of 10 mushrooms, but that doesn't mean you have 10 less slots for anything else.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Spacebump posted:

It's clear what items are based on the name and descriptions.

You are able to actually see enemy weaknesses and strengths

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

hatty posted:

Will never understand the Arceus love. Never have I played such a boring checklist game

Completely agree. Pokemon fans first ever ubisoft game. Snore

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think people like Arceus mostly because it’s a Pokémon game that actually tries something different, even if that different thing is just an open world with a giant to-do list to fill out. The past 3 mainline Pokémon games have been dreadful bores and carbon copies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Manoueverable posted:

There are some timings for defense in the remake that are interesting with the ! cue because I've played through the original nearly a dozen times and could never guard some attacks, to the point I could have sworn they were just unblockable.

The game also specifies when enemy attacks are unblockable.

In general it's still the old JRPG style, just with more modern sensibilities like 'actually make it clear to the player how the mechanics work'. I get the feeling elemental weaknesses and such were meant to be secrets for video game guides and such in the old days? But I might be giving them too much credit, especially since those guides were often flat out wrong and major gameplay mechanics were often bugged and didn't work at all.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Manoueverable posted:

This one's a pretty big one since the timings for defensive guards in SMRPG is not when the attack makes impact with you, like in all future Mario RPGs. The timings here are very arbitrary.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

American McGay posted:

I think people like Arceus mostly because it’s a Pokémon game that actually tries something different, even if that different thing is just an open world with a giant to-do list to fill out. The past 3 mainline Pokémon games have been dreadful bores and carbon copies.

My kids both spent their Christmas money on the DLC for Scarlet and Violet respectively. They are racing to see who can fill out their pokedexes. I wrestled Arceus away from them and put (exactly) 3 hours into it and feel like I’ve made barely any progress and MAN was the tutorial hour painful. They need an option for Pokemon games called “Not my first rodeo” that skips all of it and lets you just play.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
cant have that, what if a kid selects it by accident

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I kind of like the tutorial section in Arceus specifically, because I think it's important to the setting to establish that being able to catch six whole pokémon without breaking a sweat makes you some kind of mind-blowing prodigy to these dorks who have only barely figured out the concept.

The other games could definitely do with a lighter touch option, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda funny given the whole premise is you're sent back to ye olden times as a zoomer literally with a smart phone, possibly implied to have been playing Pokemon Go, and that you're like 'Wow, cool!' at Pokemon instead of terrified at the strange superpowered magical animals basically makes you the Connecticut Yankee.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I kind of like the tutorial section in Arceus specifically, because I think it's important to the setting to establish that being able to catch six whole pokémon without breaking a sweat makes you some kind of mind-blowing prodigy to these dorks who have only barely figured out the concept.

The other games could definitely do with a lighter touch option, though.

Yeah but if you’ve already played through it and want to get to the game… click.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

cant have that, what if a kid selects it by accident

hell what if an adult clicks it? next thing you know they'll be in the "pyf things dragging a game down" thread complaining about a game being bad because they skipped the tutorial and are missing mechanics

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd like to try out the Paper Mario games eventually, but I fear it'll be a bit of a similar experience, dead-easy gameplay coasting on a lot of charm, that I may very well not care too much about. Seeing as they're mostly free thanks to NSO it's not a huge problem but still.
Coming into SMRPG directly from Paper Mario: Origami King, the latter is superior in every way.

Like you, I had no nostalgia for SMRPG. I liked it a lot, but besides the boss that takes away your buttons, the end battle with Smythe was the only time I had to change my battle "strategy".

PMOK worked for me because of the battle timer and not being able to remember all of the patterns. And LOL on me for remembering how to unwind the boss "here's the path you need, now we're going go mix it up!" paths.

Given when the games were originally made, it should be no surprise that PMOK has better fights, stories, and puzzles. And I was legitimately distraught at the ending.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You don't play SMRPG for the difficulty, you play it for its charm.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

You don't play SMRPG for the difficulty, you play it for its charm.

It's essentially a Kirby game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

some of the later bosses in TTYD can be pretty tough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Mario RPGs in general are meant to be kids clubhouse RPGs so they’re not really any difficult overall.