Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

B33rChiller posted:

How does collection / non payment / lien work out in plumbing?
I understand a mechanic can just hold your car until you pay up, but how u repo a shitter?

Repossess the pipes/fittings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Speaking from experience they will threaten to walk up and tear out anything they can, but won't actually do anything.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

B33rChiller posted:

I understand a mechanic can just hold your car until you pay up, but how u repo a shitter?

Pour quick-dry cement down the terlet.

SHITTER'S FULL

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Maneck posted:

The Sun papers are just doing their owner's bidding without adequate editorial independence in Canada. Which means its a source of Russian propaganda into Canada. The Sun doesn't touch that in the apology, and its normally outspoken editorialists are silent, because they understand that they are paid to poison Canada's politics and won't bite the hand feeding them.
They were originally defending it saying "Many Americans feel this way so it's a fair to do a cartoon about it." but they deleted those tweets after people kept pointing out we're not American and the obvious anti-semitic overtones.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

They can put up a builder's lien against the property

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_2r_kzZ6M

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ZShakespeare posted:

Yeah the Russian propaganda line was always weird to me. We’ve always been bad on our own. We don’t need to imagine that we’re being mind controlled by a country whose primary export is drunken brawl dashcam videos.

Pour quoi pas les deux?

Exploitation of someone else's existing social fractures for your side's benefit has been a thing forever. From Russia's "But You Hang the Negro" to US funding of Contras and other right wing assholes to colonial establishment of local power structures that pit groups against each other etc etc.

There is definitively dark money, some of which is foreign in origin, that supports international right wing bullshit because it's useful to capital and illiberal regimes. Also it's a shitload cheaper to destabilize an opponent than build up functional societies.

Nobody serious is claiming bad Slavic boogieman corrupting our pure thoughts, but they're more than willing to use our useful idiots. Like...they've been caught giving money to various groups around the world with a clear preference (both in funding provided and open support of political messaging) of right wing poo poo disturbers.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The libs approved the RBC takeover of HSBC Canada in exchange for a pinky promise of a few hundred jobs in Winnipeg over the next decade, so lol

HSBC was one of the few Canadian banks with any real business banking strategy, though it was still small. Canadian monopoly capture of our main industries will never end.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Guest2553 posted:

Pour quoi pas les deux?

Exploitation of someone else's existing social fractures for your side's benefit has been a thing forever. From Russia's "But You Hang the Negro" to US funding of Contras and other right wing assholes to colonial establishment of local power structures that pit groups against each other etc etc.

There is definitively dark money, some of which is foreign in origin, that supports international right wing bullshit because it's useful to capital and illiberal regimes. Also it's a shitload cheaper to destabilize an opponent than build up functional societies.

Nobody serious is claiming bad Slavic boogieman corrupting our pure thoughts, but they're more than willing to use our useful idiots. Like...they've been caught giving money to various groups around the world with a clear preference (both in funding provided and open support of political messaging) of right wing poo poo disturbers.

of course Russia (and many other countries, most notably the United States) spends a lot of money to manipulate public opinion within Canada. I just find it weird that some of us like to blame outside influences for the Toronto Star being lovely conservatives when we have our own homegrown lovely conservatives that would still be pumping this crap out regardless of the existence of russian troll farms.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

B33rChiller posted:

You can make a lien, and post it on the property that was worked on. This basically paves the way for suing or mediation, I think. I've never had to do it myself.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I think Trump cozies up to authoritarians because he himself is one, not because they have mind controlled him through fake news. NATO aggression not-withstanding, Putin takes what he wants because he is “strong” and Trump likes that style. Trump likes American imperialism but doesn’t like having to make excuses for it, like a democrat would. Giving cover for other leaders who act the same gives rise to a general world order where strong countries do what they want, rather than having to adhere to any kind of international law or decorum style sensibilities.

This is why he is Moscow’s clear favourite, you can easily imagine how different the Trump’s reaction to Ukraine would have been and at the very least there would surely be less military aid given to Ukraine.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

sleep with the vicious posted:

The libs approved the RBC takeover of HSBC Canada in exchange for a pinky promise of a few hundred jobs in Winnipeg over the next decade, so lol

HSBC was one of the few Canadian banks with any real business banking strategy, though it was still small. Canadian monopoly capture of our main industries will never end.

I mean based on what I heard from friends who work in anti money laundering, HSBC's main business strategy was "Comical levels of crime that somehow managed to make other major banks look like saints" so not sure it was exactly sustainable.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ZShakespeare posted:

of course Russia (and many other countries, most notably the United States) spends a lot of money to manipulate public opinion within Canada. I just find it weird that some of us like to blame outside influences for the Toronto Star being lovely conservatives when we have our own homegrown lovely conservatives that would still be pumping this crap out regardless of the existence of russian troll farms.

I likely misread your original post because I'm in agreement with you here. I've met others who deny foreign disinfo exists then ipso-facto-bingo-bongo it into other odious takes and probably carried that baggage forward with me. Sorry dawg.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

It’s cool. Often times I take shortcuts because every time I try to make an effort post that explains the nuance of my position people only read the first sentence and pop off anyways.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean based on what I heard from friends who work in anti money laundering, HSBC's main business strategy was "Comical levels of crime that somehow managed to make other major banks look like saints" so not sure it was exactly sustainable.

Yeah I think that is part of HSBC's global strategy, they bank for the mexican cartels and stuff. But really most international banks do some form of that. I do wonder if HSBC got any pressure for being the bank involved in the Huawei stuff but that feels pretty conspiratorial when Canada had to bend there entirely eventually, even though we got our precious Michaels/spies back. More likely HSBC globally just wanted some cash and to get out of an expensive and low growth market. Still shouldn't have been allowed

For Vancouver, that's losing HQ's for Teck and HSBC in one year. But don't worry, they have that lovely used car start up and real estate, everything will be fine

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

It’s cool. Often times I take shortcuts because every time I try to make an effort post that explains the nuance of my position people only read the first sentence and pop off anyways.

Oh, so you think it's cool now, huh?
Somebody's getting a lump of coal in their stocking.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Merry Christmas CanPol!

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Merry Christmas to the one internet place where I feel like I am not a crazy person for the political views I have (let’s be nice to one another and eat the rich)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I still feel like a crazy person here but at least Im surrounded by other, different kinds of crazy so yeah. Hope you all have a good politics free family holiday.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

But that can be fixed:

:emptyquote:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I got Ducks for Christmas. Happy holidays CanPol goons

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Aces High posted:

Happy holidays CanPol goons

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://x.com/yesterdaysprint/status/1740535971836465419?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Still more useful than the poo poo post media publishes today

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
Did these ever make it into the wild? https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2022/04/10/the-national-posts-invisible-hand-society-nft-collection-the-facepalm-manifesto/

Part of me wants to ironically buy one for a fraction of a penny so I can just bring it up every time that rag gets mentioned. Lotta lawyers have brain damage and still treat Nat Po as a serious journalistic organization

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

An approximation of the the answer “does sir dress left or right?” on a wide-scale basis? I’m not sure why that would help either, but science is about curiosity.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Always to the left.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Edmonton Journal: Edmonton homeless encampment dismantled Friday as removal sweep begins

quote:

The city of Edmonton began dismantling a homeless encampment and evicting occupants Friday as part of a sweep of “high-risk” camps set to extend into the New Year....

Frank, who has lived rough on the streets for about 15 years, said being pushed from encampments was sometimes a weekly hardship for him, but he managed to settle into this spot for about four months.

“It gets tiring. It just seems useless,” he told Postmedia, adding he expects to move to a spot nearby in the Boyle Street area for at least a few days.

“You just work your rear end off trying to get your stuff moved, and then you get to a spot, and they get come and tell you you got to move again, and then you’ve got to lug all your stuff out of there again, and then each time you move you lose more and more stuff,” he said, surveying the mattress, bedding, and items stacked in his tent.

Bradley LaFortune, head of advocacy group Public Interest Alberta, said there may be bed space in shelters, but many avoid them, citing a lack of privacy and safety....

But the city, police, and fire department worried allowing “high-risk” camps to stay creates serious safety concerns for people who live there, and the surrounding community. A lawyer representing the police said during the hearings there have been deaths from fires in some of the camps, and some sexual assaults, while other camps have links to organized crime.

I've spent most of today dealing with the fallout from this. There are no readily available supportive housing or market housing spots, and all the detoxes are full. Yeah, there are shelter spaces available, but they're all violent and noisy and are a great place to catch Shigella and/or Jesus. Every visit I've had today was someone in some degree of despair over housing* and I can't do gently caress all about it. Like I've been a doctor in the inner city for 15 loving years and I can't tell you how to get housed, because that's the kind of province Alberta is now. Also people keep lighting fires against the outside of my clinic to stay warm and it's only a matter of time before the fucker burns down.

*except for one guy but I had to tell him he was dying of cancer so it's not much of a loving relief.

I have to think that doing this on the Friday before a long weekend, when everyone from the provincial government is on holidays and unable to provide services, is an intentional 'gently caress you' to the homeless (although initially the cops wanted to do it just before Christmas). The cruelty is the point, I guess. Any argument they have that they're doing this out of safety concerns ignores the complete lack of alternatives for the homeless; it's not like I want anyone to live in a goddamn tent in the subArctic, but when there's no place to house them, it's better than the bare street or a shelter that is literally called the Snake Pit. Anyhow, unlike my patients I have access to resources, including heat, and a comfortable bed, and 14-year-old Balvenie. May your own new years feature more of the latter, Canpol.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Edmonton Journal: Edmonton homeless encampment dismantled Friday as removal sweep begins

I've spent most of today dealing with the fallout from this. There are no readily available supportive housing or market housing spots, and all the detoxes are full. Yeah, there are shelter spaces available, but they're all violent and noisy and are a great place to catch Shigella and/or Jesus. Every visit I've had today was someone in some degree of despair over housing* and I can't do gently caress all about it. Like I've been a doctor in the inner city for 15 loving years and I can't tell you how to get housed, because that's the kind of province Alberta is now. Also people keep lighting fires against the outside of my clinic to stay warm and it's only a matter of time before the fucker burns down.

*except for one guy but I had to tell him he was dying of cancer so it's not much of a loving relief.

I have to think that doing this on the Friday before a long weekend, when everyone from the provincial government is on holidays and unable to provide services, is an intentional 'gently caress you' to the homeless (although initially the cops wanted to do it just before Christmas). The cruelty is the point, I guess. Any argument they have that they're doing this out of safety concerns ignores the complete lack of alternatives for the homeless; it's not like I want anyone to live in a goddamn tent in the subArctic, but when there's no place to house them, it's better than the bare street or a shelter that is literally called the Snake Pit. Anyhow, unlike my patients I have access to resources, including heat, and a comfortable bed, and 14-year-old Balvenie. May your own new years feature more of the latter, Canpol.

Same here. The government is getting twitchy about our city and there is discussion they're going to take over a hotel and house people there, but that's not going to last very long when you have a bunch of people with mental health and addictions issues. I suspect in 2 months were going to have a bunch of government departments of health shrugging when they are asked why so many people died of exposure this year.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Newfie posted:

Same here. The government is getting twitchy about our city and there is discussion they're going to take over a hotel and house people there, but that's not going to last very long when you have a bunch of people with mental health and addictions issues. I suspect in 2 months were going to have a bunch of government departments of health shrugging when they are asked why so many people died of exposure this year.

Hamilton, ON took over / rented out a couple hotels since the start of the pandemic. It was mostly functional; slightly nicer than shelter beds cause you at least get a private room. A lot of the typical behaviour issues (fights, drug use, damage to the property/walls, etc) you'd expect. On more than one occasion there were couples in there in a domestic violence situation, and the shelter staffs solution was to service restrict both parties and kick them out, so plenty of misses, too.

About a year and a half into the pandemic (November 2021) I was talking with some of the city staff behind the project, and as a result of those conversations did some personal back-of-the-napkin math(my math was, in my opinion, extremely generous to the city and it probably cost a lot more than I think) to calculate how much I thought they'd spent up to that point. I know some of the stats stuff, like how many homeless people there are that interact with the system at some level (either through outreach, shelter access, etc). Not a full number, you can never truly account for hidden homelessness.

Anyway, when I compared my back of the napkin 'what do I think its costing the city to rent out two hotels temporarily) math vs how many people are accessing the system - what I realized is the city could have just cut each homeless person a cheque for about forty thousand dollars.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Capital Letdown posted:

Hamilton, ON took over / rented out a couple hotels since the start of the pandemic. It was mostly functional; slightly nicer than shelter beds cause you at least get a private room. A lot of the typical behaviour issues (fights, drug use, damage to the property/walls, etc) you'd expect. On more than one occasion there were couples in there in a domestic violence situation, and the shelter staffs solution was to service restrict both parties and kick them out, so plenty of misses, too.

About a year and a half into the pandemic (November 2021) I was talking with some of the city staff behind the project, and as a result of those conversations did some personal back-of-the-napkin math(my math was, in my opinion, extremely generous to the city and it probably cost a lot more than I think) to calculate how much I thought they'd spent up to that point. I know some of the stats stuff, like how many homeless people there are that interact with the system at some level (either through outreach, shelter access, etc). Not a full number, you can never truly account for hidden homelessness.

Anyway, when I compared my back of the napkin 'what do I think its costing the city to rent out two hotels temporarily) math vs how many people are accessing the system - what I realized is the city could have just cut each homeless person a cheque for about forty thousand dollars.

Your math is extremely generous to the city.

Homelessness is loving expensive. The conservative position should be to eradicate it purely in order to save money, but the cruelty is the point.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
How it always is isn't it.

Better to pay hundreds of thousands of to hotels than to just build housing or give the people money directly because that would be unfair you know.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yes, but putting up some of those little shed house thingies in one of Hamilton's plentiful vacant lots so the poor bastards can have a place to sleep off the ground and out of the rain could possibly lower someone's property values, and we can't be having with that, now can we?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Am I reading the Exo website correctly that there's actually no train from Vendome to Vaudrauil tomorrow during Jan 2 in the morning!?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Raenir Salazar posted:

Am I reading the Exo website correctly that there's actually no train from Vendome to Vaudrauil tomorrow during Jan 2 in the morning!?

Yes, the day after New Year's Day runs as a Sunday, so the earliest train that way is in the afternoon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To begin 2024, I'd like to express how important it is that we punish people, like Jaskirat Singh, who drive dangerously. Kick them out! To operate a commercial vehicle and kill someone recklessly? Unforgiveable.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/not-guilty-verdict-in-fatal-cherryville-crash/it12273

Oh wait, that guy was white. It's probably okay; gently caress deportation, even jail would be too much. Civil liability was established, but, really, could you send a white man to prison?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 3, 2024

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

Oh wait, that guy was white. It's probably okay; gently caress deportation, even jail would be too much.

You're mad that people weren't sent to prison and made stateless when they were found not guilty a decade ago?

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

COPE 27 posted:

You're mad that people weren't sent to prison and made stateless when they were found not guilty a decade ago?

He’s being hyperbolic to prove a point; what he’s mad about is how much harsher a brown guy is being treated (arrested and deported).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Capital Letdown posted:

He’s being hyperbolic to prove a point; what he’s mad about is how much harsher a brown guy is being treated (arrested and deported).
The white guy was found not guilty. If Jaskirat Singh had been found not guilty then he wouldn't be eligible for deportation. Also, as far as I can tell, the white guy wasn't an immigrant, if Jaskirat Singh was born in Canada then he couldn't be deported.

I can understand if the white guy was an immigrant, had been found guilty, and wasn't deported but that's not what happened.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

And of course if the guy had just eliminated some hapless gently caress with his family in an F-150, and not ARE PRECIOUS STRATEGIC RESERVE OF HOCKEY PLAYERS, I don’t see it leading to a 10-year sentence and deportation either. It would be “one killed in rural Saskatchewan crash” on a regional news site and everyone not directly involved would soon forget it even happened.

Or you could compare the sentence to the guy in BC who has 21 impaired driving convictions and has only now been actually sent to prison. Running one stop sign is bad, especially if it happens at the worst possible time, but it’s not worse (no matter what happens) than driving drunk so habitually you get caught and convicted 21 times.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks PT6A now I’m imagining Hockey Canada entering a government warehouse in Trois-Rivières all hush hush and decanting a better primary scorer for next year’s WJC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Capital Letdown posted:

Are you saying we should deport innocent people?

PT6A posted:

Or you could compare the sentence to the guy in BC who has 21 impaired driving convictions and has only now been actually sent to prison. Running one stop sign is bad, especially if it happens at the worst possible time, but it’s not worse (no matter what happens) than driving drunk so habitually you get caught and convicted 21 times.

As far as I can see the average sentence for drunk driving causing death in Canada is about 3 years, so it looks like the judge appropriately used his criminal history as an aggravating factor. I think this is more along the lines of certain types of crimes in Canada not being taken seriously enough, rather than the white man discount. Obviously there are huge racial disparities in the criminal justice system, but I think it's more helpful to think of them systematically than through anecdote.