Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i say swears online posted:

lol why did this just show up in my fb feed

This but opposite

Hex is basically "babby's first real drive type" until you discover torx yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartcx
Dec 29, 2002

never stop posting

spiritual bypass posted:

depends. does your house have stairs?

Two separate stairwells tyvm

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://techcrunch.com/2023/12/30/cybersecurity-not-immune-brutal-layoffs-2023/

quote:

2023 will likely be remembered as the “year of the layoff.” While many expected the tide to shift after a rough 2022 that saw more than 130,000 tech workers lose their jobs, these unsettling workforce reductions only worsened this year as the industry continued to battle economic uncertainty. TechCrunch has comprehensively tracked these layoffs, which have so far seen more than 240,000 jobs lost across the past 12 months alone, a hefty increase over 2022.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the 90s didn't start until January 20th, 1993 September 24th, 1991

That’s the birth of alternative rock

The 90s began on 01/01/1990 baby

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Jel Shaker posted:

s type look amazing

Pretty sure those are used on things like bathroom stall doors so they can't be removed easily

Hex is so common in my line of work I carry a set of allens everywhere

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Spanner screw heads are the worst thing ever and I broke so many of the bits used to open them my boss just eventually bought 50 and told me if they run out I'm on my own.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

tbf, the covid 2020-2021 hiring spree bonanza fueled by zirp was fuckin' crazy. even with all the 2023 layoffs, headcounts are pretty much still above pre-pandemic hiring spree levels.

e.g. facebook went from 40k heads in 2020, to 90k heads in 2022. that's fuckin' insane bonanza by any metric. and that wasn't uncommon, tons of tech seemed to double or at least a 50% increase during 20-22

e: to be clear, i have no doubt that the market for overpaid computer touchers is quite bad right now and worse than pre-pandemic because million of americans tried to jump into the cushy pajama computer touching field during the pandemic -- so workforce is much larger than 2019. at the same time, mass renegging on the pandemic hiring spree put a bunch more back into the arena also competing while the death of ZIRP functionally froze most new hiring.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:12 on Jan 2, 2024

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

khazar sansculotte posted:

It gets scummy debt collectors off of poor people's backs, eliminates the chance of them having wages garnished (depending on jurisdiction) or similar abuses inflicted on them in the future, etc. It's very much a "4th grader mows lawns to pay off fellow students lunch debt" kind of thing, but it is very nice to be a random beneficiary of it. Kind of like winning a lottery without ever paying to play it. But that's it.

Hopefully they don't get a tax bill from the cancelled debt

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
torx heads still strip, square is best

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

maxwellhill posted:

torx heads still strip, square is best

wouldn't triangle be better, the angles are narrower

on that principle, I don't see how spline heads don't *constantly* strip

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hey speaking of which, non-resident aliens can't use the standard deduction. Oh, and no filing with a spouse, either. If you're a resident alien for tax purposes for most of the year but leave the US permanently on, let's say Dec 15th, you're considered a non-resident for the entire year and lose a cool $27.7k of deductions lol owned love US tax law.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/RanjasDen/status/1739065066954096800?t=F7qCXDu7L1nffEAKrBKxRg&s=19

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

sullat posted:

Hopefully they don't get a tax bill from the cancelled debt

In typical lib fashion, as long as one first utters the proper bureaucratic incantations, this isn't an issue. E.g. https://www.natlawreview.com/article/tax-consequences-john-oliver-s-15-million-medical-debt-forgiveness

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

people have been saying "it looks like it'll get better in the next [insert timeframe]" for over a year now

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

khazar sansculotte posted:

It gets scummy debt collectors off of poor people's backs, eliminates the chance of them having wages garnished (depending on jurisdiction) or similar abuses inflicted on them in the future, etc. It's very much a "4th grader mows lawns to pay off fellow students lunch debt" kind of thing, but it is very nice to be a random beneficiary of it. Kind of like winning a lottery without ever paying to play it. But that's it.

I hear that in New York
At the corner of 26th Street and Broadway
A man stands every evening during the winter months
And gets beds for the homeless there
By appealing to passers-by.

It won’t change the world
It won’t improve relations among men
It will not shorten the age of exploitation
But a few men have a bed for the night
For a night the wind is kept from them
The snow meant for them falls on the roadway.

Don’t put down the book on reading this, man.

A few people have a bed for the night
For a night the wind is kept from them
The snow meant for them falls on the roadway
But it won’t change the world
It won’t improve relations among men
It will not shorten the age of exploitation.

goddamn english is an ugly and clunky language

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Restaurants and other businesses in my neighborhood just keep closing. It's actually impressive, the rate it's happening.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

people on r/MUD absolutely hate LLMs being used for room descriptions and NPCs and will downvote your rear end right off the platform lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

wouldn't triangle be better, the angles are narrower

on that principle, I don't see how spline heads don't *constantly* strip

It has to do with what direction the force vector/normal force is applied relative to the center axis of the bolt. Torx was developed specifically with this in mind, which is why it is more reliable against stripping (iirc the patent goes into it more, but the applied load is more evenly distributed among the lobes and in a direction more conducive to tightening)

Without looking into it, it's also probably why offset cruciform drives look the way they do too (they're usually used for 100 degree flat countersunk screws since they require removing less material and thus weakening the head). I've have both bad and good experiences with them, you really need the correct size bit to not gently caress them up but if you do it works fine.

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Jan 2, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/fixverified/status/1742175718870561171

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
if this means a huge surge in indie studios and games again that might be good

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

People don't want to game.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Oblivion horse armor was the harbinger of the gaming apocalypse

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Make good games

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

palindrome posted:

Brick and mortar banks should be open more often if they want drop in traffic, like car dealerships. Let the branch managers and mortgage officers stay until 8pm or so, you'll never get anyone if you're only open during banking hours. That's when people work!

people who work during banking hours don’t have enough money for banks to care about. being able to visit the bank when they’re open is a signal of wealth.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

re: bush era protest music except it’s timeless https://youtu.be/vzQ3yjpYZis?si=F2dT8tkwQHSJ3ynY

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

No no, instead of innovating gameplay and storytelling and what not, people want absolute garbage which only speaks to their basest lizard instincts and transparently swindles them

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Abloobloobloo people won't spend thousands of dollars on my remake of a remake of a ripoff of a sequel of a popular 80s franchise my family is starving on our yacht abloobloo

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Just buy an Anberc emulator and play every video game from the 20th century all the way though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mycomancy posted:

Abloobloobloo people won't spend thousands of dollars on my remake of a remake of a ripoff of a sequel of a popular 80s franchise my family is starving on our yacht abloobloo

it's not like movies or TV shows are any better about this poo poo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
we can worry about entertainment once everyone is fed, housed and clothed

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Restaurants and other businesses in my neighborhood just keep closing. It's actually impressive, the rate it's happening.

If your neighborhood is anything like the neighborhoods here or in DC or SF or any number of cities in the US it's because of what Xaris mentioned earlier, commercial real estate paper valuations causing rents to spiral causing normal people businesses to disappear and get replaced by PNC Bank Wealth Management offices. Over the past decade the student ghetto here has gone from mom-and-pop local stuff to all national branches because of that.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Egg Moron posted:

No no, instead of innovating gameplay and storytelling and what not, people want absolute garbage which only speaks to their basest lizard instincts and transparently swindles them

If people want gruel, by God we'll sell it to them.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Ruh roh, they're running out of whales

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

RealityWarCriminal posted:

we can worry about entertainment once everyone is fed, housed and clothed

gamifying civil service, selling a social good battle pass, hoping to soon win my first charity royale

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I refuse to download the epic store, I hope this led to the crash.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The games industry collapses a few months after student loans restart :thunk:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Tough to be a gamer in 2024 :(

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm overbuying at the Steam Winter Sale and even got my wife in on it this time, don't look at me

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
im holding out for the huge panic discounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mycomancy posted:

I mean this is one industry that definitely lays people off at the drop of a hat, so I suspect real people who aren't responsible for those terrible decisions will suffer too