Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Insane that the crew never mutinies at her repeated attempts to get them all killed or sabotage their journey home.

And yeah BSG is clearly Ronald D Moore going "now this is how you show a loose alliance of misfits on a Star Trek"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Janeway is my favourite captain, she veers from being perfectly reasonable and calm to just being completely done with everyone's poo poo and doing the most ballistically ballsy poo poo possible.

:commissar: Tuvix

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

He was too gross to live

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

DS9 was the best classic Trek because it was a bit darker than the rest and blended episodic content into a compelling multi-season arc. Paradoxically, all the new Trek blows because it’s OTT dark or “quirky” and focuses exclusively on seasonal arcs at the expense of individual episodes or character building.

Dabir posted:

Discovery is the worst because between spinning cameras, the visual overload of Star Wars lasers and infinite turbolift dimensions, and the hideous alien makeup, it's genuinely physically sickening to even look at, and that's before you try to engage with the crew of supposed professionals with the personalities of excitable teenagers flying around crying at everything because the only thing the writers can agree on is that having trauma is deep.
I gave Discovery an honest try but I knew it was never going to recover when they did a big emotional send-off episode for the death of a character whose name I didn’t even know (because they spend 90% of the show focusing on one person).

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I never could understand how Janeway could have come to the decision she did with Tuvix.

Then last week in our D&D game we had a new player join us and he and the DM have cooked up this quirky idea to have him be a guy from the past who got resurrected into the wrong body in a magical mishap and he's now possessing the body of our group's former leader. And my first thought, instantly, was "I need to Tuvix this guy and get my best friend back".

TACD posted:

DS9 was the best classic Trek because it was a bit darker than the rest and blended episodic content into a compelling multi-season arc. Paradoxically, all the new Trek blows because it’s OTT dark or “quirky” and focuses exclusively on seasonal arcs at the expense of individual episodes or character building.

This is honestly why the only one I really like is Lower Decks. Episodic content, the comedy genre and animated nature lets it get away with being quirkier and referential, the absence of professionalism among the crew is justified by them all being bottom-tier fuckups, and yet it still feels trekky. to me anyway.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 2, 2024

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Dabir posted:

Voyager was the worst because it just wasn't very good and we had high standards. Its badness came partly from context and it's kind of quaint that people got up in arms about them. Oh no, a bunch of episodes where the writer gets to minute 43, realised they haven't finished the plot yet and just writes "Captain's log: We solved the problem" instead of doing a second draft. The horror.

Enterprise was the worst because it took a compelling premise and wasted it on a really lovely overarching story, then took a hard right into being 24 In Space when 9/11 happened. And the episodes that aren't about that are even less good than Voyager, and some of them have the worst kind of lore pedant fan wank like the two parter wasted on explaining the change in Klingon makeup between TOS and TNG. That kinda stink is forever.

Discovery is the worst because between spinning cameras, the visual overload of Star Wars lasers and infinite turbolift dimensions, and the hideous alien makeup, it's genuinely physically sickening to even look at, and that's before you try to engage with the crew of supposed professionals with the personalities of excitable teenagers flying around crying at everything because the only thing the writers can agree on is that having trauma is deep.

Picard is the worst because it's just miserable television for nobody, except season 3, which is about how young people have a mind virus and it's up to the boomers to save the day.

Both Voyager and Enterprise had really interesting premises with tons of potential but were totally wasted because of Rick Berman. Instead of Voyager actually really struggling with the challenges of being stuck so far from home, they had seemingly endless power for stuff like holodecks, and an endless supply of shuttle craft and consumables like torpedoes. Any damage or modifications to the ship are miraculously undone so the ship looks exactly the same from week to week and somehow despite all the poo poo they've been through over seven years looks exactly the same in the last episode as it does in the very first one. Year of Hell was supposed to originally span an entire season but instead got boiled down a two parter and magically reset by the end of it. Basically, TNG in the Delta Quadrant.

Enterprise fared exactly the same. Supposedly this is a far less advanced and more rough and ready point in time. But instead of phasers we have "phase pistols" which funnily enough work exactly the same as phasers. Instead of deflector shields we have "polarised hull plating"...which funnily enough works eactly like shields do. Transporters start off not being able to safely transport people which lasted what, half a dozen episodes before they're happily beaming around like the later series?

Of course it would have required some actual decent writing to take on the challenges of lesser technology. Imagine if they couldn't use transporters at all - escaping from dangerous situations would actually require an actual escape. Imagine if phasers existed but at that point were huge and could only be ship/vehicle mounted and personnel still had to use actual firearms? Can't just stun anyone when its convenient, and you have to consider the implications of rounds bouncing around inside pressurised compartments. Imagine if there was no shields or magic hull plating and space combat is extremely dangerous and damaging to the ships involved. All of these things would really sell the point that this is a totally different and much more dangerous time, but no we get TNG but in the past.

Just sheer laziness and wanting to play it safe. Can't have any kind of serialised storylines because that would supposedly be far too confusing. Although with that being said when the Dominion destroyed the Odyssey in DS9 the writers got a ton of hate mail from fans who thought they'd blown up the Enterprise despite clearly being called the USS Odyssey and having a totally different crew.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Miftan posted:

Not that many Israelis have dual citizenships

I'll admit that my research on that point involved typing the question into Google and going with the first result.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Star Trek is TOS -> TNG -> DS9 -> Lower Decks -> Strange New Worlds.
Everything else is crap, and some of the above is too.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'll admit that my research on that point involved typing the question into Google and going with the first result.

I think it's hard to get exact numbers, I've seen 10% of the israeli population as the high estimate, but it's important to remember that a lot of those people will already be living abroad (people born to Israeli parents, or Israelis who have already left). People who are still in Israel and have dual citizenship are there because they don't want to leave and the war is probably not going to change that.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Enterprise was quite interesting but then; gently caress Riker. :ughh:

I'll stick with B5, Farscape (rewatching it atm), NuBSG and The Expanse for the time being.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
As an outsider, my understanding is that all good Star Trek shows are about a gruff but goodhearted dad and his gang of sexy bozos, and every bad Star Trek show fails essentially because they didn't make the captain dad enough

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Star Trek is the worst nerd poo poo. Stick to a show for cool people like Doctor Who.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Today has involved far more scrolling past posts about star trek than I was hoping for.

What about these storms eh? Our bedroom is in the loft, and right now it sounds like a giant is just periodically punching the side of our house. And then there's nothing like waking at 3am to the giant punching your house AND also putting your house through a giant car wash at the same time.

gently caress climate change :mad:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The best trek is Stargate SG-1

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Perfect Element posted:

Today has involved far more scrolling past posts about star trek than I was hoping for.

What about these storms eh? Our bedroom is in the loft, and right now it sounds like a giant is just periodically punching the side of our house. And then there's nothing like waking at 3am to the giant punching your house AND also putting your house through a giant car wash at the same time.

I've been watching the river level with some trepidation since this time yesterday. I didn't get to bed til gone 6am, constantly refreshing the river level page, checking out the high tide/low tide times (16 miles downstream), the river into which this one flows, and the two monitoring stations further upstream (11 miles upstresm) to see what was coming & going. It's going up again about 12cm an hour at the moment, about 2m below coming over the back wall, but it hardly goes down before either high tide or another bulge of water comes downstream.
Last year I invested in a large waterproof "cover" for garden furniture which if I put it upside down I could pile a lot of belongings into. It would fit my bed if I could move the wretched thing, but it's one of those ikea lift up beds with storage underneath and really heavy. (A friend put it together for me, being Mrs Hopeless at DIY etc) but that was 4 years ago and he's moved away now.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Star Trek is the worst nerd poo poo. Stick to a show for cool people like Doctor Who.

I’m going to assume this is a joke. It’s a joke right?

+1 for The Expanse, the best sci-fi show ever bar none.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
The best Trek is The Orville

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
My wife and I have attempted to get into the Expanse twice so far and we can only conclude that it is a slow starter as we've rapidly lost interest both times. What makes it good?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
TOS is dogshit

Alan G posted:

The best Trek is The Orville

:hai:

Jakabite posted:

+1 for The Expanse, the best sci-fi show ever bar none.

:hai: :hai:

Foundation is also incredible, for anyone who isn't watching. I put it off for a long time because it's different from the original books, but who cares it owns

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Maugrim posted:

My wife and I have attempted to get into the Expanse twice so far and we can only conclude that it is a slow starter as we've rapidly lost interest both times. What makes it good?

I had the same experience. Made it like 3 episodes in at one point but it's a very slow and boring start. I've been told it gets good at season 2 but frankly I'm not willing to sit through an entire crappy first season - I've got other poo poo to do.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
TOS was fab when it started - never been anything like it before on tv, and so advanced for the time. I was about 8 or 9 when it appeared on British tv.

Can't get over how Captain Kirk even foreshadowed heavy eyebrows & selfie phones and if he'd just done a duck pout & stuck his behind out it could have been 2023.

Ahead of his time: 1968, my dudes:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really like season 1 of The Expanse. If you're not sold by the end of that you probably never will be.

For my money it's the most well plotted sci fi show maybe ever (not counting episodic shows like Trek and Who), and the only time a TV show has been able to convince me that it takes place in space rather than on a small cardboard set.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Maugrim posted:

I’ve heard this from a few people.

For me it’s a few things. Firstly, the scale. I’ll not expand further but where the show’s at even by the start of season 3 is… well, it’s not where you expect, put it that way. Second, it’s an actually realistic portrayal of space travel and combat - I literally don’t think I’ve ever seen that in anything else. Other than the engine that allows them to travel at the speeds they can, it’s all pretty grounded. High G manoeuvres are extremely harsh on the body. Space is portrayed as a cold, dark, hostile place. The sense that every ship is just a fragile pocket of air, water and people is very palpable. The weapons aren’t lasers - they’re rockets and chain guns, which are primarily defensive (and when they deploy it’s insanely cool. I enjoy doing an impression of them that’s been likened to Milhouse demonstrating the different types of sprinkler). Rail guns are also a thing, but they’re rare, expensive, and affect the ships trajectory. Tiny details like engines firing for a second as a rail gun fires to compensate are all there.

Finally, the political aspect is really cool. It’s not totally lefty or anything but it’s interesting and again grounded in the real world. It’s only set 300 years in the future and you look at the universe and go ‘yeah, I could see that being the case’.

Some of the main characters aren’t super interesting, but most are, and there are some amazing character moments. My man Amos Burton and his favourite stripper (the Secretary General of the United Nations of Earth) are particular stand outs.

Persevere with it, you’ll not regret it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Perfect Element posted:

My back fence has blown down.

The local cats are going to be pissed, it was a major transport route.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I like the original series.

Shatner is such a subtle actor, full of nuance.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The roof was ripped off my local train station's passenger footbridge, there was severe flooding on the A30 and lots of trees are down in the area. It was quite spicy for a while

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Well that's him hosed on both counts then

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Miftan posted:

I had the same experience. Made it like 3 episodes in at one point but it's a very slow and boring start. I've been told it gets good at season 2 but frankly I'm not willing to sit through an entire crappy first season - I've got other poo poo to do.

I will not tolerate that poo poo anymore, you can be interesting right out the gate or you can gently caress off. I'm willing to overlook a show's problems because sometimes a concept needs room to breathe and grow, but with a lot of slow shows that's not the case and the writers are just dragging their feet. Since people brought up BSG, consider how strongly that began - the opening episode immediately starts in the middle of a crisis with a really unique premise, and even once it settles down it throws out an interesting new problem each week.

I've long since concluded that you need a decent episodic structure for anything to be worth watching, even when a longer serialised story is the main draw. Any show where the episode descriptions are some variant of "A talks to B. C makes a decision. D confronts E" are absolute trash that are not, never were and never will be worth wasting your time on. This is the hill I will die on beyond the point of reason.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Insane that the crew never mutinies at her repeated attempts to get them all killed or sabotage their journey home.

And yeah BSG is clearly Ronald D Moore going "now this is how you show a loose alliance of misfits on a Star Trek"

I've internalized Sfdebris portrayal of Janeway as canon.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My fave voyager was the one about the malcontents sick of management's crap while they eat poo poo in lower decks. At least to the point where they're whipped into shape and learn to love big Jane way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I will not tolerate that poo poo anymore, you can be interesting right out the gate or you can gently caress off. I'm willing to overlook a show's problems because sometimes a concept needs room to breathe and grow, but with a lot of slow shows that's not the case and the writers are just dragging their feet. Since people brought up BSG, consider how strongly that began - the opening episode immediately starts in the middle of a crisis with a really unique premise, and even once it settles down it throws out an interesting new problem each week.

I've long since concluded that you need a decent episodic structure for anything to be worth watching, even when a longer serialised story is the main draw. Any show where the episode descriptions are some variant of "A talks to B. C makes a decision. D confronts E" are absolute trash that are not, never were and never will be worth wasting your time on. This is the hill I will die on beyond the point of reason.

The Expanse is actually pretty episodic whilst still having a serialized narrative.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Thomas Jane's dumb-rear end hat was almost enough to make me turn off the Expanse in its own right. If I wanted to see a fedora-wearing dork, I'd obviously just turn off my monitor.

TBH I think event-of-the-week shows or ones with an arc interspersed with other side stuff benefit from being watched with one of those guides that tells you which episodes you can safely skip over. I love Deep Space 9 and while there are some really good early eps, there are also some incredibly terrible episodes in the early seasons. If I wasn't wallowing in nostalgia about it when I started rewatching recently, I'd have stopped watching before it gets great because there are some that are just so bad.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jakabite posted:

I’ve heard this from a few people.

For me it’s a few things. Firstly, the scale. I’ll not expand further but where the show’s at even by the start of season 3 is… well, it’s not where you expect, put it that way. Second, it’s an actually realistic portrayal of space travel and combat - I literally don’t think I’ve ever seen that in anything else. Other than the engine that allows them to travel at the speeds they can, it’s all pretty grounded. High G manoeuvres are extremely harsh on the body. Space is portrayed as a cold, dark, hostile place. The sense that every ship is just a fragile pocket of air, water and people is very palpable. The weapons aren’t lasers - they’re rockets and chain guns, which are primarily defensive (and when they deploy it’s insanely cool. I enjoy doing an impression of them that’s been likened to Milhouse demonstrating the different types of sprinkler). Rail guns are also a thing, but they’re rare, expensive, and affect the ships trajectory. Tiny details like engines firing for a second as a rail gun fires to compensate are all there.

Finally, the political aspect is really cool. It’s not totally lefty or anything but it’s interesting and again grounded in the real world. It’s only set 300 years in the future and you look at the universe and go ‘yeah, I could see that being the case’.

Some of the main characters aren’t super interesting, but most are, and there are some amazing character moments. My man Amos Burton and his favourite stripper (the Secretary General of the United Nations of Earth) are particular stand outs.

Persevere with it, you’ll not regret it.

I am enough of a nerd to be sympathetic to an earnest attempt at realistic space sci-fi. Maybe it's one I need to watch by myself.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Chubby Henparty posted:

My fave voyager was the one about the malcontents sick of management's crap while they eat poo poo in lower decks. At least to the point where they're whipped into shape and learn to love big Jane way.
My fav voyager is the one where Neelix gets his lungs stolen.

As we're still talking Trek i just wanna say Star Trek V is a loving great movie i'd watch it over the motion picture or any of the TNG ones any dag of the week.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jakabite posted:

I’m going to assume this is a joke. It’s a joke right?

Threadban this goon!

You just can't get better than Torchwood.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

1st season of Lexx

Yo Way Yo, Home Va-Ray,
Yo Ay-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen-G!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Derek? Babylon 5's a big pile of poo poo

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think strange new worlds is generally good but that might be because anson mount is a dilf and discovery was very bad in comparison.

also the expanse kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mr Phillby posted:

My fav voyager is the one where Neelix gets his lungs stolen.

Seconding this, but I have to give a special shout out to the episode where the captain and the pilot hyper-evolve into salamanders and have babies. Just the absolute balls of doing that plot

Anyway, :siren: THE WIND :siren: has hosed the rail network and I'm now one of many many people in a taxi* going from Salsbury to Waterloo, at horrific expense to Southwest Trains

*not the same taxi, it is a distributed taxi contingency