Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Speaking of, BF released their 2024 pitch, and aside from pacific war books and a new starter for TY with plastic soviet and US infantry for TY, the big ticket item is... a 1948 WW3 game with paper tanks running through germany??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

spectralent posted:

Speaking of, BF released their 2024 pitch, and aside from pacific war books and a new starter for TY with plastic soviet and US infantry for TY, the big ticket item is... a 1948 WW3 game with paper tanks running through germany??

BF?
I’m assuming TY is Team Yankee?
Oh it’s early…

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

Weird way to do it but what intrigued me most was they seem to be cribbing from the way Warcry is played where cards determine scenarios, setup, and special rules. Sounds neat in theory. Also cool they've decided to go all-in on Early War, I know that era has been largely ignored for a while.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
One stand of knights down! One more to go for an 8-knight squadron.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Springfield Fatts posted:

Weird way to do it but what intrigued me most was they seem to be cribbing from the way Warcry is played where cards determine scenarios, setup, and special rules. Sounds neat in theory. Also cool they've decided to go all-in on Early War, I know that era has been largely ignored for a while.

Yeah - a full-effort EW is very welcome. Just a shame it's 2025, it'll be a long wait.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

What's the new TY starter? I didn't see anything in the video about it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I thought they said we were getting a new infantry starter? Maybe I misheard.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
They mention it, but no details other than it'll contain the new plastic infantry. Based on that it'll be Soviet vs. American with US Marine options.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

JcDent posted:

Don't ask why, but:
From gameplay (not army building) perspective, which edition of Flames of War is the best and what downsides does it have?

Agree that 4th plays best, having played 1/2/4 and balked at the rulebooks for 3. The card system is kinda to try nickel-and-dimey (though not GW level, if that's your baseline) but allows for a lot of historical variation with effort. It's not spelled out in the books anymore, but doing your own historical research to recreate the OoB for the 420th (Skyblaze) Independent Engineer Battalion at the Battle of Toker's Hill is a feature, not a bug in wargaming circles anyways. The ruleset also lends itself better to pickup games and house rules imo.

E. Also a lot easier to do things on the cheap by picking up a couple starter kits which have two viable-ish forces.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 23, 2023

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

spectralent posted:

I thought they said we were getting a new infantry starter? Maybe I misheard.

Probably so; I was skipping around and looking for boxes. Glad to see Pacific coming back though!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Upscaled a Smol Miniatures 15mm Samurai to 28mm. I don't hate it, even if it's a bit of a chonker. Fun little speedpaint, might do some more for Clash of Katanas.

edit-- Bonus Daimyo!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 26, 2023

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sengoku era headgear is so ridiculous and cool

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Count Thrashula posted:

Upscaled a Smol Miniatures 15mm Samurai to 28mm. I don't hate it, even if it's a bit of a chonker. Fun little speedpaint, might do some more for Clash of Katanas.

edit-- Bonus Daimyo!

Saw this on facebook, great work. :)

Hopefully 2024 will be a samurai year, if my kickstarter pledge ever turn up from Fireforge.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Dear Prudy,

#FestiveTankChallenge has swindled me into assembling and painting my Churchill (assembled as VI), and then my Sherman V joined in for a lick of paint.

So where the gently caress do I find marking guides? Google has furnished me with these:
https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=404
https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=110&art_id=590

Which don't really help when it comes to placing Armor Bridging Discs, War Department Numbers and Tank Names much (I have decals for those).

Complicating things is that my tactical markings are unbrigaded and I only have specific unit markings that come with the box AND if I ever finish up my infantry, they'll be wearing 43rd (Wessex) decals.

Sincerely,
Easily Distracted Painter

E: I also have the Churchill decal sheet! I dunno why they decided to use black filling for the tactical markers... Also, additional Googling suggests going with 31st Tank Brigade, 9 Royal Tank Regiment since they were attached to 43rd for Hill 112.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 28, 2023

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

spectralent posted:

They're making the sprues anyway for World of Tanks, so this is likely a "gently caress it, we have the sprues, why not just put them in a box and sell them in large numbers as a wargame".

BF ultimately are becoming a bit like GW - they're a company that do good minis that push rules to sell those minis.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If I wanted to base up 15mm WW2 to be the most flexible for all the various rulesets out there? Individual? FoW style?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Individual for platoon- scale, multi for company+.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is Ridley Scott's Napoleon Historically Accurate?

Kings & Generals are not a fan of the movie.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Comstar posted:

Is Ridley Scott's Napoleon Historically Accurate?

Kings & Generals are not a fan of the movie.

It was a complete hack job but personally I was most offended by the travesty that was the depiction of Austerlitz. Jesus Christ. Look, how they massacred my boy.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I think people always want to do too much with Napoleon. I'd love to watch a nice 90 minute movie just about 13 Vendémiaire. It has everything you need to capture the essence of Napoleon, and the key elements of a good movie, without the grand scale and temporal issues of trying to survey his career.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 29, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm loving dying how lovely the old Mobelwagon FOW model is. Seriously I thought the shields was gonna be the hard part since they have no support.
A shitton of blue tac later and it's not too bad. Now I'm working on the guns and just... wow. The drat thing is suppose to be support by a less than 1mm 90 degree angle connection with no actual slot to align it. I see no real way to do this without using green stuff to create better support.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Spent an hour googling turret images to find out which bits are viewports and poo poo

Had to freezer break the sherman's open hatch doors since I had apparently mixed up which goes where.

The Sherman is gonna be hosed anyways, the (British) commander is going to be snugly fit next to the possibly-ahistorical 50cal.

Both tanks can wait a few more years till I muster the courage to do dirt/weathering.

I have to remember to not glue the loving tracks on the before painting. There's a bajillion issues with painting with them in place, not the least

More rant after today's decal application:
https://cohost.org/JcDent/post/4023273-gently caress-unit-markings

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

If I'm going to build fortifications that I want to use in my 1650, 1750 and 1800's games then I'm pretty much limited to a Vauban-style fortress, right? Ravelins, Projecting Bastions, etc. etc. ? Are there any idiots guides to the kind of dimensions these would be?

I always toot the horn for Pendraken miniatures who do the best 10mm figures out there - they are increasing their prices by about 10% on Jan 1st but you can get figures at their original cost today and tomorrow still. https://www.pendraken.co.uk/ - they do historicals, fantasy, sci-fi, dungeons, terrain, etc. - no connection other than being a satisfied customer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JcDent posted:

Spent an hour googling turret images to find out which bits are viewports and poo poo

Had to freezer break the sherman's open hatch doors since I had apparently mixed up which goes where.

The Sherman is gonna be hosed anyways, the (British) commander is going to be snugly fit next to the possibly-ahistorical 50cal.

Both tanks can wait a few more years till I muster the courage to do dirt/weathering.

I have to remember to not glue the loving tracks on the before painting. There's a bajillion issues with painting with them in place, not the least

More rant after today's decal application:
https://cohost.org/JcDent/post/4023273-gently caress-unit-markings

Idk about the british but canadian shermans had .50cals. However they were usually removed and fielded by the motor infantry instead.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

Ah, mood. I have an absolutely lovely Easy Eight model in Korean War monster 'noseart', and I managed to assemble one bit wrong and drop the tray of pieces so I lost a return roller. Now I'm roughly a month into the project of finding the right people to email to figure out where I can buy new sprue sheets. Last reply Wednesday with "I will get back to you on this".

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm quite pleased with how this 10mm star fort is looking - I got it as a 3D model from Project Diratia on MyMiniFactory and it was split in a really silly way, but other than a wonky corner it's printed out quite well I think and certainly is as imposing as I hoped it to be. Now to figure out some siege rules...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My 2024 goal is to actually finish and paint an army for something, not just a few figures and then move on to something else.

Edit-- making 15mm ADLG armies, I'm manifesting them in this order:
1) Romans vs. Britons
2) Hussites vs. Catholic Germans
3) Samurai vs. Samurai
4) Italian Wars stuff for ADLG-R once I get comfy with the ADLG rules

I know folks here don't care about my plans but it's sort of a light toxxing of myself 😫

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 1, 2024

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I'm aiming to get my anglo-saxons finished up in January, at least - a lot of them are done and many of the ones that aren't are partially finished so I'm hoping one big push will do it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

My 2024 goal is to actually finish and paint an army for something, not just a few figures and then move on to something else.

yup.

my goal is to get my ecw stuff up to being able to play fk&p, and get some games in with other players of pikemans lament as well

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm in for a 28mm AWI Continental Sharp Practice force before February as it's supposed to be a birthday gift. Speed paints will be my savior.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
My Historicals resolution is to do a lot more demos of Chain of Command at the new game shop near my house, and use that to build a historicals group. Here's a few pictures from a demo I did last week:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Gorgeous table, what are the roads? They blend in perfectly.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering, is anyone aware of any good Bolt Action scenarios? Doesn't matter if they're official or unofficial - just preferably non-themed like the core book's scenarios, if that's an option. (Since I use an Italian Alpini force, while my friend uses the Romanian army. So yeah, not really any suitable campaign books for us :v: )

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Southern Heel posted:

If I'm going to build fortifications that I want to use in my 1650, 1750 and 1800's games then I'm pretty much limited to a Vauban-style fortress, right? Ravelins, Projecting Bastions, etc. etc. ? Are there any idiots guides to the kind of dimensions these would be?

I think it's going to depend on where you are talking about. If you're looking at that era in North America forts are probably going to look like this:

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Count Thrashula posted:

Gorgeous table, what are the roads? They blend in perfectly.

Roads and Mat are from Geek Villain, though last I had seen they had printer issues and much of their stock was unable to be replenished. I haven't checked in a while though.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cessna posted:

I think it's going to depend on where you are talking about. If you're looking at that era in North America forts are probably going to look like this:

A lot of forts are even just going to be blockhouses without the perimeter wall-- the outskirts of Halifax during a similar period would have been a collection of blockhouses, and British defences elsewhere in Nova Scotia (and elsewhere besides) are going to be similar unless it's a very established and strategic settlement.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Neat, I'm not wargaming NA but the 18th century period in general - I guess a wooden fort would be a good alternative strongpoint.

EDIT: Removed pointless waffling irrelevant to the thread.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 4, 2024

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

After a hiatus I'm putting the finishing touches to my 10mm ECW armies and I've realised I really prefer the metal miniatures from Pendraken compared to the Henry Turner 3D prints. Henry's models are good but the Pendraken stuff is just fantastic.

I'm considering the next 10mm massed battle project, after an abortive dalliance with Fantasy. I'm strongly considering either a) the north-west European dark ages i.e. Picts, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Vikings, Anglo Saxons, or b) the War of the Roses/Late HYW period with York/Lancaster and France/England. Individual preference aside, is there anything I should know about gaming these periods? It seems that WOTR is a fairly mundane mirror-match (unless it's a scrap against the Scots), and the HYW while providing two opposing forces appear to offer little else other than bashing the same armies into each other over and over? Am I missing something?

By contrast (and to my surprise) in the Dark Ages, it looks like there are fairly distinct armies by DBA's definition:

Anglo Saxon - Spears and Blades
Scots - Spears, Scouts and Cavalry
Irish - Auxilia and Scouts
Normans - Blades, Bows and Knights
Vikings - Blades and Scouts
Welsh - Warbands and Scouts

These become a bit more generic in OHW where the paradigm is essential Scots/Anglo-Saxon (normal) vs Norman (more cav) vs Welsh/Viking (more warbands) but are at least all different and presumably all interact differently with each other?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 4, 2024

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Has anyone bought/built/painted any of the Black Powder "Epic Battles" stuff?

I'm very tempted to buy some tiny US Civil War dudes. I know they're very small scale so I might not be able to paint Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's mustache quite right, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

After a hiatus I'm putting the finishing touches to my 10mm ECW armies and I've realised I really prefer the metal miniatures from Pendraken compared to the Henry Turner 3D prints. Henry's models are good but the Pendraken stuff is just fantastic.

I'm considering the next 10mm massed battle project, after an abortive dalliance with Fantasy. I'm strongly considering either a) the north-west European dark ages i.e. Picts, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Vikings, Anglo Saxons, or b) the War of the Roses/Late HYW period with York/Lancaster and France/England. Individual preference aside, is there anything I should know about gaming these periods? It seems that WOTR is a fairly mundane mirror-match (unless it's a scrap against the Scots), and the HYW while providing two opposing forces appear to offer little else other than bashing the same armies into each other over and over? Am I missing something?

By contrast (and to my surprise) in the Dark Ages, it looks like there are fairly distinct armies by DBA's definition:

Anglo Saxon - Spears and Blades
Scots - Spears, Scouts and Cavalry
Irish - Auxilia and Scouts
Normans - Blades, Bows and Knights
Vikings - Blades and Scouts
Welsh - Warbands and Scouts

These become a bit more generic in OHW where the paradigm is essential Scots/Anglo-Saxon (normal) vs Norman (more cav) vs Welsh/Viking (more warbands) but are at least all different and presumably all interact differently with each other?

its not strictly historical, but i plan at some point to do a broad foray into late medieval/very early italian wars. circa 1450-1550. youve got wotr presence, but also continental knights, the emergence of the pike w the swiss, the ordonnance, the italian levies + mercenaries, mounted crossbowmen + stradiots, etc., plus the growth of hand guns from boom sticks carried by armoured guys into the arquebusiers and musketeers with ripped sash clothing. a lot of variety, a lot of colour, and a lot of potentially theoretical matchups that are quasi-historical, even if you have to stretch some