Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Anti-Hero posted:

A 1st and a 2nd place finish. Overall very pleased.

My 2nd place finish was as the CMC owner and all my drafted WRs died (Higgins, Watson, Mike Williams) and I missed out on the waiver adds early in the year so I was trotting out Diontae Johnson, Jakobi Meyers, and Tee Higgins (all of 4 times) and relied on CMC and my other awesome RBs to carry me. Of course they went back to their home planets during the finals. I expected to get bounced in the first round of the playoffs as my team was the worst 1 seed in existence. Top record and 8/10th on PF. Reminded me of the Vikings last year or the 2019 Packers - record did not reflect the eye test. This is a keeper league and we reset all of our accumulated 4 (!!) keepers and go back to redraft so I’m super excited. I was bummed I couldn’t get it done as the CMC owner…but that leads in to my other league.

My 2nd place finish IDP league I lost Chubb as my first round pick but CeeDee, Deebo, Zay Flowers, Mostert (!), Gibbs (!!) absolutely carried me and all my losses were a couple points or even less during the regular season. I bounced the 1st seed, 1st PF CMC owner in the semis and he was salty as hell!

See you all next year, it’s been fun! Thanks all for the advice and support.

Nice sorry CMC busted for you but a 1 and 2 finish is pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

vaginite posted:

Nice sorry CMC busted for you but a 1 and 2 finish is pretty impressive.

Thanks!

I really appreciated your advice in the finals. James Conner, Brandin Cooks/Demarcus Robinson (I started the latter in addition to Higgins :barf:) were all great calls but when Butker, Davonte, Breece, Fields all pop off for 25+ and CMC and R. White put up their worst games of the year, I was completely doomed. My opponent did to me what I did to others in the semis.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

Thanks!

I really appreciated your advice in the finals. James Conner, Brandin Cooks/Demarcus Robinson (I started the latter in addition to Higgins :barf:) were all great calls but when Butker, Davonte, Breece, Fields all pop off for 25+ and CMC and R. White put up their worst games of the year, I was completely doomed. My opponent did to me what I did to others in the semis.

No prob! Glad it worked I always get nervous putting up advice because there's a huge risk you end up looking like a giant moron lol so I'm glad those guys did what I said they would (and Henry sucking poo poo). Cya next year.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It's an uphill battle if your early picks all bust or get hurt but yeah definitely possible if you nail some waiver adds and/or trades. And have good matchup luck. In one league I started out with Davante Adams, Waddle, Mattison and unsurprisingly that team finished second to last. Pretty much the only reason I didn't have zero wins was the Dallas defense and a couple weeks where my opponent randomly poo poo the bed. Waivers were the killer though. I lost out on the big pickups by a couple FAAB dollars every time. And the "hot waiver adds" I did win ended up being huge turds like DeMercado from the Cardinals when James Conner was hurt. Streaming QBs was also a disaster. Like I added Jordan Love for the week he scored 4 points vs the Raiders then dropped him again for his bye.

Looking at the teams that were playing in my championships, I see a lot of Puka and Kyren and Rashee Rice and Dak. Or studs they were able to acquire by packaging waiver players who got hot and selling high. But I also see guys like Tyreek and CeeDee and AJ Brown and Amon-Ra. None of them totally screwed up the draft.

I wonder if some fantasy analyst nerd has done a study on the importance of the draft vs waivers. Or maybe there's too much randomness for it to be useful.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I think there's likely a bit of a correlation between draft and final standing, but there's also an overwhelming amount of variance from player health, to weekly matchups, coaching decisions, and many other factors, that just make the initial draft have little importance.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I found a correlation - if you are a competent manager the worst Yahoo grades your draft, the better you will do. Both of my rosters were D+ ratings but I played the waiver game and finished well.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
The league i won in and drafted JJ first overall. I was basically the Browns after Cousins got hurt. Since week 8 i've started a rotating cast of Cousins, Mayfield, Murray, Dobbs, Russell Wilson, Mullens, and lastly my lord and savior Joe Flacco

I started Dobbs the week he turned the ball over 4 times lol.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Speaking of waivers I just realized adding Juwan Johnson on Saturday night to fill in for Hunter Henry got me the win. Literally any other waiver TE and I'd have lost lol. So I guess I made one good move this year :pseudo:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thanks for all the help over the season, everyone :)

took 7th in the yospos ten man league, made a bunch of mistakes including forgetting the draft was happening until the 5th round, and then relying on Lions DST for the first few weeks instead of streaming + not trusting Stroud/Flacco to put up better numbers than Goff after the BAL loss/bye

Good learning moments all around

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Yahoo gave me a C- for this year’s draft. Finished third and got my buy in back

All my starters this week were dudes I drafted except K and DEF

Not sure what I learned this year. Waiting on TE and taking a top tier QB a round ahead of projections continues to work. Though I whiffed on some mid rounders. Luck with injuries and luck in general is half the battle

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That’s a nice team

How was Amon-Ra sitting there in the fifth round though??? Keeper?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Diontae over ARSB earned you that C-!

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

That's a really late Amon-Ra - was it not ppr? That's a late rear end CeeDee too tbh. But still nice draft.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Docjowles posted:

That’s a nice team

How was Amon-Ra sitting there in the fifth round though??? Keeper?

Yes he was my keeper. Achane or LaPorta candidates for next year I guess

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ceedee at 23 is insane

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

RCarr posted:

Ceedee at 23 is insane

It was an in person draft at the bar and I couldn’t believe he was still available. We’re all drunks but it hadn’t gotten to drunken idiocy yet

I had to ask the commissioner if it was an oversight on his part and he’d forgotten to mark him taken. If you pick a dude that’s already been drafted you have to buy a round of shots

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cat Hassler posted:

It was an in person draft at the bar and I couldn’t believe he was still available. We’re all drunks but it hadn’t gotten to drunken idiocy yet

I had to ask the commissioner if it was an oversight on his part and he’d forgotten to mark him taken. If you pick a dude that’s already been drafted you have to buy a round of shots

In fairness, Ceedee had been disappointing every year but this one IIRC. I know I had him last year and/or the year before, and he wasn't really that great then for fantasy.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
CeeDee was a huge part of me winning the ship in a league where I started Kyler Murray most of the year. YUGE.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Pollard went three picks before I took Lamb so I dodged the disappointing Cowboy possibility

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Let's take a look back at the positional cheat sheet ESPN put out for 2023 RB drafts (PPR):

yikes - CMC is the only guy in the top 5 I'd say wasn't a bust. Joe Mixon and Etienne the only other guys in the top 10 you woulda been happy with. Chubb you can't ding 'em on so I'd say 3/9.

RBs really seem like a crapshoot and I think I'm gonna lean away from taking any high next year but maybe it was a 1 year anomaly - the 2022 rankings turned out a lot better.

WRs:

Little better. I'd call Davante, Diggs, Wilson busts. Kupp is borderline but you probably got him pretty late because he went into the season injured, and he turned out OK for his draft spot. Some guys past the top 10 were way too low (Keenan Allen, Mike Evans, DJ Moore) but those guys had some question marks going into the season. I'd actually say their rankings past 10 turned out pretty bad.

The 2022 rankings were about as right in the top 10, so I think RBs were just busty this year.

Funny to note, the very last player listed in WRs as #90 was a Nathaniel Dell (HOU). I think he'll be a little higher next year.

QBs

Decent top #10 if you don't count injuries. Mahomes sucked for the 1st overall QB picked in most drafts. I'd call Burrow and DeShaun busts even with injury mulligans, the games they played were mostly bad. Burrow probably woulda ended OK without injuries though. Dak is too low. Fields probably felt like a bust but you were happy to have him in the second half of the season if you kept him.

Brock Purdy was super low, #27. He was down with like Desmond Ritter and CJ Stroud (who was a no-name at that point). I guess he was still new but I woulda put him over straight rookies on bad teams.

TEs are whatever, it was Kelce in round 1 (bust), then Andrews as an early 4, Hock as an early 5. Then a bunch of real late stuff.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Based on ADP and accounting for injuries, I wonder what is the absolute best team you could have reasonably drafted this year?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Inspector 34 posted:

Based on ADP and accounting for injuries, I wonder what is the absolute best team you could have reasonably drafted this year?

I assume reasonably drafted means you cannot grab Kyren Williams and Puka Nacua in the last two rounds, but without thinking too hard something reasonable could be (based on skimming one of my non-keeper drafts):
CMC
ARSB
Josh Allen (kind of early to take a QB, but it is about where he went in some of my leagues and with our Grays Sports Almanac 1950-2000 we know that a lot of players drafted around here do not live up to their ADP)
Keenan Allen
James Cook
Kamara
Pacheco (might be cutting it close to Kamara's ADP)
Mike Evans
Mostert
Skip all the recommended players around here and jump down to ~ 12th round picks:
Nico Collins
LaPorta

It varies quite a bit though, in one of my leagues Mike Evans went pick 88, in another he went at 126. WR were heavily frontloaded, where the majority of the final top ~20 were drafted in the first 5 rounds, the only significant outsiders were Mike Evans, Puka Nacua who was not really drafted, and Nico Collins who was a late round flyer. Atypically, RB had a lot more midround value.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 2, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think LaPorta should be taken in place of whatever spot Kelce is currently in or higher. The dude balls out with like 25pt half ppr games every other game or two and outperformed post injury JJ or like jamarr chase the last few weeks

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I don’t know how long they’ve been doing this, but check your ESPN fantasy app this morning. There’s a Spotify-like yearly wrap up. I placed 1st and 17th in my two ESPN leagues so I got both sides of the spectrum there. 😄

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Very excited to watch football without fantasy now that this stupid poo poo I do every year is over.

Four leagues is too many but fantasy football is a lot more fun when you realize it's a fee you pay to stay connected to certain friend groups.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Yeah I had four leagues for the second year in a row, definitely dropping back down to 3 next year. Just too much to sift through.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kiimo posted:

Four leagues is too many

Pffft. Amateur. :)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
The worst part of the end of fantasy football is trying to figure out what to do at work all day

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

dxt posted:

The worst part of the end of fantasy football is trying to figure out what to do at work all day

Youtube, I guess.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
The big jump is from 0 leagues to 1. Each incremental league is an extra ~5 minutes per week unless they have crazy settings

Highly recommend being in multiple leagues so you're emotionally insulated when your high draft pick busts or your waiver add doesnt pan out

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

The big jump is from 0 leagues to 1. Each incremental league is an extra ~5 minutes per week unless they have crazy settings

Highly recommend being in multiple leagues so you're emotionally insulated when your high draft pick busts or your waiver add doesnt pan out

And yet I target all of the same players to simply multiply my bad picks :thunk:

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Yeah then I end up feeling even worse when the same hot waiver add burns me in all of my leagues instead of just 1.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Four leagues is my max, beyond that it becomes less fun to watch the games because you and your opponents have the same players.

Also, is it too soon to talk about keepers? Just have until June to sit here and dwell on it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Diversification is key in Fantasy Football :eng101:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My league does a playoff season fantasy thing

Just QB, WR, TE, and kicker. If a dude scores points you get those points. If your QB throws a TD to your WR that’s 12 points. No waivers, when your guy’s team is eliminated that’s it for that roster spot

Trying to figure out a draft strategy. Think a QB like Lamar first round. But you have to balance it because there are dudes who will put up points but are less likely to get to the Super Bowl

Anyway simple fun fantasy-lite to wrap up the season

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I haven’t personally played them but I know there’s some playoff best ball contests along those lines. The game theory is interesting. Because you want guys who are going to be playing in the Super Bowl. But you can’t draft all 1 seeds because then you get a bunch of zeroes in the wild card round. Conversely someone like Rachaad White might help you get through the first round but then if the Bucs quickly
get bounced you’ve got a dead roster spot the rest of the way. Sounds like a fun puzzle.

How do you determine who wins? Is it week by week or most total points after the Super Bowl?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Docjowles posted:

I haven’t personally played them but I know there’s some playoff best ball contests along those lines. The game theory is interesting. Because you want guys who are going to be playing in the Super Bowl. But you can’t draft all 1 seeds because then you get a bunch of zeroes in the wild card round. Conversely someone like Rachaad White might help you get through the first round but then if the Bucs quickly
get bounced you’ve got a dead roster spot the rest of the way. Sounds like a fun puzzle.

How do you determine who wins? Is it week by week or most total points after the Super Bowl?

Whoever has the most points after the Super Bowl wins it all. $20 buy in. Yeah kind of like best ball - nothing to do after the draft but be mad when you fail

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I have done similar contests, the easiest way to do it is by assuming a team without a bye is going to win, and roll with it. The Superbowl will be Dallas vs Miami? Sure, why not. Alternatively just get some cheap players to tide you over for the wildcard week if you really want 49ers/Ravens.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Well thread, it's been a ride. I ultimately finished top of the consolation bowl, which isn't too shabby considering my team's record. Thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Time to think about my "Do not loving draft" list.