Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

It doesn't, just get your prescription and measurements written down on a card by the optometrist and order frames and lenses online, you can usually get a decent pair for under fifty bucks

I did do this zeny can't get the lenses I need. My eyes are bad :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
that guy clearly has no vision of the future because he thinks you need to pay people to be npcs in the bait shop, people will willingly be the bait shop guy, they will pay for the privilege

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that guy clearly has no vision of the future because he thinks you need to pay people to be npcs in the bait shop, people will willingly be the bait shop guy, they will pay for the privilege

maybe once I have my bait shop I can pay someone a third of my earnings to run it for me, then I'm on easy street

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I thought NFTs were dead until people on my office started talking about some nfl nft card game and discussing their card values. yikes.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

sonatinas posted:

I thought NFTs were dead until people on my office started talking about some nfl nft card game and discussing their card values. yikes.
It's just going to be a scam that's going on with randos you know forever. Just like how probably you've got acquaintances who try to sell you MLM poo poo.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cat botherer posted:

It's just going to be a scam that's going on with randos you know forever. Just like how probably you've got acquaintances who try to sell you MLM poo poo.

this

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

loquacius posted:

the non-games media industry is consolidated to hell and back and it loving killed pop culture. This opinion can gently caress straight off

We need to slap antitrusts on the major studios and revert copyright law to what it was in the early 70s.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

cat botherer posted:

NFTs really are the Amway of the already scammy crypto, just a bunch of IT hons selling overinflated stock back and forth to each other forever

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jel Shaker posted:

apparently one of the best strategy games to come out recently (shadow gambit) released and immediately the studio closed down

studio mimimi made like 5-6 real time with pause stealth strategy games across 3 different ip's in the last few years that were all pretty excellent but never caught on in a huge way

investors or whoever probably thought they werent going to spill over into the mainstream or that the market didnt want more of there games.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

sonatinas posted:

Thank you valve

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1742240749003964461

Fake news imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

I’ll believe that when I see the influencer/streamer community move out of their new mansions and into apartments.

most successful influencer/streamer poo poo already came from vast wealth so probably not

I don’t know the breakdown so I’m spitballing here that I’d wager 80% were already from vast money versus like less than 10% who found their rags to riches fortunes

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm surprised Mickey going public domain didn't crater Disney's stock.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/dec/22/britons-increasingly-turning-to-food-black-market-experts-say

quote:

Britons increasingly turning to food black market, experts say

Exclusive: Goods such as meat, cheese and confectionery stolen in large amounts to be sold to people hit by high cost of living

Increasing numbers of people are turning to a growing black market for food to supplement their diets as prices rocket, experts have said.

Meat, cheese and confectionery are among the items being stolen in large quantities from shops and lorries in order to be sold to people hit by the cost of living crisis.

With food prices rising, figures in policing, retail and academia said action was needed to stop people exploiting the rising demand for stolen food.

Retailers are reporting a record year for shoplifting, costing the industry £1bn this year, according to the British Retail Consortium’s estimate. Home Office data shows the crime has reached the highest level since records began, while the proportion of shoplifting incidents that resulted in a charge has fallen.

Andrew Goodacre, the chief executive of the British Independent Retailers Association said the cost of living crisis had made people “think of alternative ways of sourcing items that are essential to them”. He said shops that had not faced shoplifting in the past were reporting thieves clear whole shelves in seconds.

“I think that’s because the black market has got so much bigger,” he said.

Prof Emmeline Taylor, a criminologist and shoplifting expert at City, University of London, agreed. She said, facing a cost of living crisis, many consumers were more willing to “turn a blind eye” to stolen food.

She said: “I don’t think hardworking people who are now finding themselves in poverty are suddenly turning into criminals overnight. I think it’s more complicated than that.

“A lot of people are more willing to buy stolen goods than to actually shoplift themselves because they’re one step removed from it.”

Taylor said people told themselves it was a victimless crime, that theft was built into the business models of big retailers, that supermarkets were the real criminals for raising prices or that shops were ripping off farmers or their own staff.

She said this was known as neutralisation, essentially “moral justifications that people conjure up to make themselves feel better when they’re doing something wrong”.

“Another technique of neutralisation would be, ‘Well how was I supposed to know it’s stolen?’ And that’s much more palatable for somebody than knowing full well themselves that they did steal something. So that’s where I think the cost of living crisis is creating the demand for stolen goods.”

Wendy Chamberlain, a former police officer turned Lib Dem MP who chairs the all-party parliamentary group for the elimination of food banks, said it was “not surprising” that people were obtaining food through criminal means.

She said important nutritional foods had “essentially rocketed in price” and that food poverty could be particularly acute this time of year, with food banks providing only essentials that were generally “not particularly attractive or nutritional”.

She said: “When money is tight, when they’ve spent a long time saying ‘no’ to other family members, the opportunity to buy something a bit more premium and high end, with ‘ask no questions’, and ‘off the back of a lorry’, as it were, is appealing.”

She pointed out how, when universal credit claimants were given a £20 uplift in their payments during the pandemic, food bank usage dropped. During this time, crime statistics show shoplifting also fell.

She said one way of reducing the market for stolen goods was for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to urgently tackle the backlog that was causing people to miss out on crucial cost of living payments.

“It’s about processes within DWP not working so that people that really need the help can get it,” she said, adding that more research was needed to understand how big the black market had grown and how the criminal supply chains could be disrupted.

In October, police and the government launched an initiative called Pegasus, with £600,000-worth of funding provided by some of the UK’s biggest retailers. Among other things, it involves a new police intelligence team aiming to target organised crime gangs moving into retail theft.
opener
The Food Diaries: how people are navigating the UK’s cost of living crisis
Read more

It is being led by DCS Jim Taylor, who is the head of Opal, the national intelligence unit for organised acquisitive crime.

He said: “Professional knowledge tells us and history tells us that during a cost living crisis – high inflation and high unemployment – community crime rises. What we’re trying to do here is be ahead of the curve. We know that crimes like this are increasing and actually we know that it’s the organised element to it.”

A government spokesperson said police should be taking “a zero-tolerance approach” to shoplifting, adding: “We support millions of people every year to get the benefits they are entitled to, including providing advances to those who need immediate help, and to help people struggling with the cost of living are delivering an additional £3,700 on average per household.”

"alternative ways of sourcing items that are essential to them"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

soviet collapse but just more miserable somehow

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

super sweet best pal posted:

the mouse is barely affiliated with Disney anymore. plus there’s still IP and trademark rights with use for commercial use even on steamboat, and modern mouse isn’t in public domain for like another 20 years

pretty sure there are tons of kids today who know Disney but not Mickey

Xaris has issued a correction as of 19:01 on Jan 2, 2024

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

List of notable additions to the public domain from Duke Law:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Jel Shaker posted:

soviet collapse but just more miserable somehow

England is in full on collapse:

quote:

An alarming number of Britons are turning into “DIY doctors” because of the struggle to get an NHS GP appointment in 2023, new polling has revealed.

Some 23 per cent of those surveyed said they could not get an appointment, while three in 10 (33 per cent) said they had given up on booking one altogether

Many said they had resorted to “DIY” medical care or gone to A&E instead. One in seven (14 per cent) said they had been forced to treat themselves or ask someone else untrained to do so, with the same proportion seeking emergency care.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Real hurthling! posted:

studio mimimi made like 5-6 real time with pause stealth strategy games across 3 different ip's in the last few years that were all pretty excellent but never caught on in a huge way

investors or whoever probably thought they werent going to spill over into the mainstream or that the market didnt want more of there games.

Shadow Gambit is about Pirates, who the gently caress likes Pirates?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

There will be adequate food!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

err posted:

Self inflicted

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

artisanal doctors, oy!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i think peter pan has some unique copyright where all the proceeds are supposed to go to Great ormond street childrens hospital forever, not sure if that’s international

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

i think peter pan has some unique copyright where all the proceeds are supposed to go to Great ormond street childrens hospital forever, not sure if that’s international

quote:

[4]Peter Pan; or, the Boy Who Wouldn’t Grow Up is finally entering the public domain in the US, despite the play having been performed since 1904 and the Peter Pan novel being published in 1911. Why the delay? Because the play’s script was not “published” for copyright purposes until 1928, pushing back its copyright expiration until 2024. It will be public domain in the US, but not in the United Kingdom, where there is a special provision giving the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children – to which J.M. Barrie assigned his copyright – the right to receive royalties from the play in perpetuity (just royalties, not the right to stop others from using the play).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

get ready for my dark and gritty reboot of All Quiet on the Western Front

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Shadow Gambit is about Pirates, who the gently caress likes Pirates?

AnsarAllah ftw

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

cat botherer posted:

There's always a new coat of paint, but it's always the same old scam. Remember Iraqi Dinars?

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

With how insistent Disney was about it you'd think copyright thieves would have already taken over Disneyland and installed a puppet Walt by now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

With how insistent Disney was about it you'd think copyright thieves would have already taken over Disneyland and installed a puppet Walt by now

every third world elementary school will soon be truly liberated

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

err posted:

Speaking of DIY medicine. Being seeing lots of ads for at home tests from sleep apnea and covid to cancer or diabetes.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it's not even recognizable Mickey it's strictly the steamboat Willie version that's public

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

so kids actually like mickey mouse, i always thought he was a bit poo poo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Disney has a ton of Mickey shows for kids 10 and under, so it makes sense none of the childless goons would know this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter likes Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I hate that she likes it because it sucks

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

This is the future of gaming, games a service will turn into NFT and crypto fueled money gushers

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1741917542577303872

this was the plot of Gamer (2009)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

loquacius posted:

My daughter likes Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I hate that she likes it because it sucks

Meeska Mooska Mickey Mouse

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Idk, I would probably work as an NPC. There are worse jobs out there. Pay me to fish all day, i don't care.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

netizen posted:

Idk, I would probably work as an NPC. There are worse jobs out there. Pay me to fish all day, i don't care.

What is your current job?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

be conservative with your wealth and soon you will grow power.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e8rt8RGjCM&t=339s

I can't stop thinking about this and the Embracer Group, Sony and Microsoft.

The counter-acting tendecies
  • firms combine together
  • mothballing of plants
  • the reserve army of unemployed as Marx called it increases
  • downward pressure on wages

the capitalists are mothballing the video game plants and literally mothballing video content they've already produced

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

sonatinas posted:

the radio was saying 95% of them are now worthless.