Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Vic posted:

Short answer: Get a A1, U1, C10, V10 one. That's ~ 10 MB/s write 50 MB/s read

If that one's too expensive you could be fine with a A1,C6,V6 one which is like 25 MB/s read but that'll start seriously bottlenecking your Steam Decking. Any lower and it'll get painfully slow.

The U3 ones won't give you perceptible difference as then you'll get bottlenecked by the Deck itself as it processes stuff it just read. Also Deck's bus is U1 (UHS1) so higher speed cards will work, but are capped at UHS1 speeds which you won't reach anyway typically.

As I might be putting Steam games on the micro SD instead of just ROMs, should I go with the a2? I think for the SanDisk Extreme 1tb a2.
I don't want to be bottlenecked by the card overheating. If I was just doing Roms I know I could go with slower.

But since the difference is $20, it won't be a huge burden for hitting the bottleneck of the decks u1 slot.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have a A1 card (cheap rear end SanDisk 512gb) and the only game I've had an issue with is Halo Master Chief Collection, and then only in Halo 1. I played all of Reach off the SD card without issues. It's only going to be an issue in a small number of outliers.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got the new Dead Space remake and after some tinkering on low-medium settings, I decided to just go on Moonlight so I could get 800p, ultra settings and no fan noise. This poo poo is spoiling me.

Wish the game would let me lock it to 90 frames exactly instead of 99.9 but my alternative is to just disable v sync and let my PC run it at insane frames. Seems to be the smoothest experience wirelessly on the deck doing this.

Edit: set it to 90 in NVIDIA control panel, duh. Buttery smooth now without having to run my PC through the wringer.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 2, 2024

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Been playing Darkest Dungeon 2 on the Deck. It plays excellent and is a lot of fun. The only tweak I made was that, I capped the frame limit at 90 to help with the constant spikes and dips.

There is some work left to be done on the UI/UX end of things for controllers, however, it’s perfectly playable.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

Got the new Dead Space remake and after some tinkering on low-medium settings, I decided to just go on Moonlight so I could get 800p, ultra settings and no fan noise. This poo poo is spoiling me.

Wish the game would let me lock it to 90 frames exactly instead of 99.9 but my alternative is to just disable v sync and let my PC run it at insane frames. Seems to be the smoothest experience wirelessly on the deck doing this.

Edit: set it to 90 in NVIDIA control panel, duh. Buttery smooth now without having to run my PC through the wringer.

I haven't been able to get Moonlight to stream at 90hz. I think its because my main PC's monitor doesn't support that mode. I bet it feels amazing to play path traced Cyberpunk at 90hz on the deck. Speaking of which, any word on HDR for Moonlight?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I haven’t seen any updates on Moonlight or Sunshine HDR.

I’ve thought about making a synthetic display somehow in software that I could use for Sunshine, because it would then be able to render at 2400x1600 for some nice oversampling. (Both my displays are 1440p so I can’t get Sunshine to do more than that vertically as far as I’ve seen.) That might work for 90Hz streaming too…

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

I haven't been able to get Moonlight to stream at 90hz. I think its because my main PC's monitor doesn't support that mode. I bet it feels amazing to play path traced Cyberpunk at 90hz on the deck. Speaking of which, any word on HDR for Moonlight?

I know they're still actively working on it, the Github thread has activity as recent as yesterday.

Is there a way to duplicate my Moonlight install on the deck so I don't have to set the resolution/FPS toggles every time I switch from wireless to docked/TV? I'd rather have a Docked install and a Portable install. Assuming I can't do something even more convenient.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rolo posted:

I know they're still actively working on it, the Github thread has activity as recent as yesterday.

Is there a way to duplicate my Moonlight install on the deck so I don't have to set the resolution/FPS toggles every time I switch from wireless to docked/TV? I'd rather have a Docked install and a Portable install. Assuming I can't do something even more convenient.

You could probably drive a settings-file swap via a `udev` hook keyed off of one of the devices that appears/disappears when docking/undocking.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

IAmTheRad posted:

As I might be putting Steam games on the micro SD instead of just ROMs, should I go with the a2? I think for the SanDisk Extreme 1tb a2.
I don't want to be bottlenecked by the card overheating. If I was just doing Roms I know I could go with slower.

But since the difference is $20, it won't be a huge burden for hitting the bottleneck of the decks u1 slot.

It's not a heat thing, it's a controller thing mostly. Faster cards have faster controllers, or the controller uses more pins in parallel internally, or both. Slower cards might also not use all 4 data pins available.

A1 vs A2 is going to be in the controller and number of parallel pins internally, the difference there is 1500 vs 4000 minimum IOPS but they have the same actual speed guarantees. An a2 card is likely to be faster due to the design required to guarantee 4000 iops, but doesn't have to be because the spec is written for specific minimum performances. In any case 1500 iops is not likely to bottleneck playing games.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

IAmTheRad posted:

A2 cards can do more operations per second, which translates to faster downloads and installs if the device supports them. They aren't faster necessarily, so games will load the same. An A2 can easily be slower than A1.

But here's the thing I don't know if Steam Deck even supports A2 instructions, can't find anything on that. I don't know if A2 support's a hardware thing or an OS thing that can be patched in later.

So for all I know the extra $20 buys you nothing or minutes off of installs.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I haven’t seen any updates on Moonlight or Sunshine HDR.

I’ve thought about making a synthetic display somehow in software that I could use for Sunshine, because it would then be able to render at 2400x1600 for some nice oversampling. (Both my displays are 1440p so I can’t get Sunshine to do more than that vertically as far as I’ve seen.) That might work for 90Hz streaming too…

Sunshine HDR already works for non deck clients, but moonlight deck HDR is still being worked on: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt/issues/1117

I recommend an EDID emulator dongle and display port adapter - I tried the virtual thing for a while but it's a lot less robust than hardware. Many of them (including the one I have https://a.co/d/cYg2MN2) can be flashed with an arbitrary EDID.

Fun fact: you can't get a dummy plug to negotiate HDMI 2.1 afaik, but you can if you connect it to a display port to HDMI 2.1 adapter. Normally they're a bit jank but for pretending to be a display they work great.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JackDarko posted:

Been playing Darkest Dungeon 2 on the Deck. It plays excellent and is a lot of fun. The only tweak I made was that, I capped the frame limit at 90 to help with the constant spikes and dips.

There is some work left to be done on the UI/UX end of things for controllers, however, it’s perfectly playable.

Thanks for reminding me!

I got through the first on Switch and I have an international flight coming up.

Plus Winter Sale.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The moment Moonlight HDR becomes a reliable thing I am going to the store and buying a 65" LG OLED.

So yeah, take your time guys.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rolo posted:

The moment Moonlight HDR becomes a reliable thing I am going to the store and buying a 65" LG OLED.

Why not just plug your PC into your tv with an HDMI cord

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

^^^ this is what I do. This + the lightspeed logitech keyboard + wireless flymouse remote is THE BEST LIFE

Rolo posted:

Get the 65" LG OLED now, you won't regret it (other than when you start turning your nose up at LCD TVs for the rest of your life)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Playing old arcade games on this thing in bed til i get tired is the best. I never figured out how to emulated arcade games as a kid/teenager/young adult so figuring it out now and playing stuff on this beautiful oled screen I once only saw on big screens in the arcade as a kid puts a giant smile on my face.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'm pretty surprised how well spider-man miles morales runs on steam deck. it's a little bit rough on my 3700x/3070 desktop (at 1440p you can either have a nice framerate and messy visuals or nice visuals and sometimes it drops to 50fps), so i wasn't expecting much on the deck, but with the power of dynamic resolution and FSR you can lock it to 40fps on low-medium quite easily and it's not nearly as blurry as you'd expect - actually a step up from FF7R, which was my previous benchmark for AAA games on the deck

it's kind of cool using the deck as a "side content device" for an open world game - I've been playing the story missions on my desktop where everything looks nice but doing the collectathon stuff on the Deck so I can chill out in bed

thinking about picking up some other Sony AAA games I've missed over the years - do God of War and Horizon run this well, or nah? I assume that The Last Of Us Part 1 is still kind of a disaster on PC including the deck?

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 2, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sony's been pretty good with their PC ports and the Deck. I haven't played God Of War on PC but Horizon will run at 40fps on low or 30fps on original which is roughly PS4 equivalent visual settings. I played most of that game on the Deck.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rolo posted:

Ok, anyone try the Soundcore VR P10 then? Looks like what I want at a decent price.

I looked at it, but went with the Soundcore Space A40s instead for the Deck. The A40s are good enough for my eyes/ears. They have a low latency mode too but I never turn that on

The codecs are going to be the biggest bottleneck to real low-latency BT on the Deck. It lacks the hardware to do AptX LL though the codec is supported - do not enable it unless you like crackle and pop. AptX Adaptive, the new low latency hotness, is proprietary to Qualcomm and Valve haven't licensed it. The 20ms stuff Qualcomm are bragging about with BT 5.4 will probably be the same.

But the Deck's LDAC implementation has worked very well for me - the latency seemed the best of all the codecs the Deck supports in my ~extremely scientific and thorough testing~. Use that over any of the other codecs is my reco.

The Deck now prioritizes AptX LL which is unfortunate, since if your earphones do as well you're going to get some low latency, low quality sound. LDAC used to have priority but you'll need to set it by hand from Desktop mode now.

TwoDice posted:

I recommend an EDID emulator dongle and display port adapter - I tried the virtual thing for a while but it's a lot less robust than hardware. Many of them (including the one I have https://a.co/d/cYg2MN2) can be flashed with an arbitrary EDID.

Didn't know these existed - that's nifty and useful!

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
Apologies if this is a rehash in this thread, but I don’t remember seeing anything here since I got my oled deck last month.

The only game I’m left thinking about as the steam sale ends is Diablo 4.

I’m looking for a good solo ARPG experience where I kill things and collect cool gear. Does it actually run well enough on the deck and is it worth 40 bux?

I bought so much I’m not fiending for anything else but it’s been gnawing at me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yes, it runs well on the Deck but it's questionable if it's worth $40 bucks. Most people, myself included, are very disappointed by it.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Picked up the Final Fantasy 13 games in the sale, and so far the first one has worked pretty flawlessly out of the box, without the ff13fix mod that I’ve heard it needs.

Playing it reminds me a lot of Vampire Survivors, except VS runs are limited to a half hour for your health.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why not just plug your PC into your tv with an HDMI cord

My PC is in another room and I don’t want to run a 100 foot HDMI. My place already has a LAN cable run to a few rooms.

Someday I’ll own a house in this city (when I’m a millionaire) and I’ll run crazy cable setups then.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

i'm pretty surprised how well spider-man miles morales runs on steam deck. it's a little bit rough on my 3700x/3070 desktop (at 1440p you can either have a nice framerate and messy visuals or nice visuals and sometimes it drops to 50fps), so i wasn't expecting much on the deck, but with the power of dynamic resolution and FSR you can lock it to 40fps on low-medium quite easily and it's not nearly as blurry as you'd expect - actually a step up from FF7R, which was my previous benchmark for AAA games on the deck

it's kind of cool using the deck as a "side content device" for an open world game - I've been playing the story missions on my desktop where everything looks nice but doing the collectathon stuff on the Deck so I can chill out in bed

thinking about picking up some other Sony AAA games I've missed over the years - do God of War and Horizon run this well, or nah? I assume that The Last Of Us Part 1 is still kind of a disaster on PC including the deck?

The original spiderman runs like a drat dream on the deck and looks fantastic.

Afaik god of war is a 30 fps experience but it’s pretty drat locked at that.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Rolo posted:

My PC is in another room and I don’t want to run a 100 foot HDMI. My place already has a LAN cable run to a few rooms.

Someday I’ll own a house in this city (when I’m a millionaire) and I’ll run crazy cable setups then.

You can allegedly use an HDMI to ethernet converter, but I've never tried it and have no idea how well it works. It looks like you would be limited to 1080p 60hz.

e: you'd probably have to run a separate Cat6 cable from your regular network cable anyway, so probably wouldn't work for you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Moonlight is working without a hitch at 1440p120 on my TV and maxing out most games at 800p wirelessly, it’s great. The only drawback is no real HDR but it’s an LCD panel and not that big a deal until it’s supported and I buy a ridiculous tv.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Your guess is right, Steam won't upload shots from non-steam games. It's extra annoying, because Steam screenshots are buried in some nonsense place by default, but you can make life easier by changing that.

In Steam's settings (might have to be in desktop mode), under In Game, there's a toggle to "Save an uncompressed copy of my screenshots." You can turn this on, and specify a more reasonable location for your shots. From there, you have a few options for getting them out, depending on how you like to sync or copy stuff.

Thanks, I got this set up with SyncThing (got scared when Windows quarantined the latest SyncThing release as ""Wacatac.B!ml""???) and it was an incredible hassle but I guess this will work lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Glimpse posted:

Picked up the Final Fantasy 13 games in the sale, and so far the first one has worked pretty flawlessly out of the box, without the ff13fix mod that I’ve heard it needs.

Playing it reminds me a lot of Vampire Survivors, except VS runs are limited to a half hour for your health.

FF13 runs better with FF13fix but 13-2 needs it much more. Also you need to disable Steam Cloud saving with 13-2 else it’ll crash whenever it tries to auto save. This is a problem with the PC port in general, not a Deck specific thing.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Totally Huge posted:

Apologies if this is a rehash in this thread, but I don’t remember seeing anything here since I got my oled deck last month.

I’m looking for a good solo ARPG experience where I kill things and collect cool gear. Does it actually run well enough on the deck and is it worth 40 bux?

I bought so much I’m not fiending for anything else but it’s been gnawing at me.

runs 45 - 60 FPS on deck with all settings turned down (maybe it'll run fine on medium, but I value my battery life). ....
I'm on Act 6 of 7 of the campaign with my hardcore necromancer (lol into the deep end on first playthrough) and I like it better than Diablo III, but it's kind of my "Lie in bed, listen to podcasts" game this holiday season, kind of like vampire survivors last year.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Totally Huge posted:

My friend, do yourself a favor and look into grim dawn. It's Diablo 2.5 and the devs are fantastic. They still support it...7 years? after release and it's getting a new expansion this year. It's usually super cheap in sales. All the expansions are good, crucible you can skip if you had to cut something. I wrote up a bunch of stuff in the grim dawn thread about getting it to run decent on deck. And it sure does after fairly minor tweaking.

I say all this after looking for something better after playing d4 and being disappointed. I played it years ago but it's still a great experience.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How’s Grim Dawn co-op? Is it full “we can do the whole story with our own characters” co-op?

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Rolo posted:

Moondeck buddy can do linked display settings

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Rolo posted:

How’s Grim Dawn co-op? Is it full “we can do the whole story with our own characters” co-op?

You can definitely play the full game co-op but I think it gets a bit buggy if all the players are on different parts of the story so if you go start to finish co-op, you'll be fine. Playing multiple characters is the way to go anyway because there's so many builds to try so having a separate character played solo and another co-op only would work as well.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Highly recommend Grim Dawn. Lots of fun.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Awesome I’ll get that next.

Dead Space thoughts: I’d hate to be this guy’s downstairs neighbor

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
Grim Dawn is currently $7.50 so I’ll try that and hopefully it scratches that itch. Thanks, all!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Just picked up Grim Dawn myself. Runs nicely. Very fun.

Totally scratches the Diablo itch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Totally Huge posted:

Grim Dawn is currently $7.50 so I’ll try that and hopefully it scratches that itch. Thanks, all!

Awesome! Join us. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758855&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Just got a Deck, going through the initial Software Update, been stuck on “00:01 Applying 61%” for close to an hour at this point, anything I need to be doing to help hurry it along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Klungar posted:

Just got a Deck, going through the initial Software Update, been stuck on “00:01 Applying 61%” for close to an hour at this point, anything I need to be doing to help hurry it along?

That doesn't sound good. Mine had some issues once like that where it got stuck at the very end. I had to restart it several times but it did eventually work. I think mine was wifi related, losing connection that first time maybe.