Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Chubby Henparty posted:

Derek? Babylon 5's a big pile of poo poo

:getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I watched the first few episodes of Babylon 5 and they were indeed extremely poo poo. I'm told it gets better though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Did BSG come before or after Voyager? I feel like if it had been more like that it would have been a lot more interesting.

Not only did Voyager come out before the BSG remake, the same producer (Ronald D. Moore) worked on both.

If you watch the very early Voyager episodes you can see some ideas/themes that would be in BSG.

https://www.slashfilm.com/813804/the-star-trek-frustrations-that-shaped-battlestar-galactica/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Theory: you only ever hear "it gets better" because the people who think it got worse didn't stick it out long enough to be absolutely sure it doesn't get better so they don't say anything

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Microplastics posted:

Theory: you only ever hear "it gets better" because the people who think it got worse didn't stick it out long enough to be absolutely sure it doesn't get better so they don't say anything

Counterpoint - it gets better, then it gets worse.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I like Starhunter Redux on Amazon.

It's amazingly low budget and has wooden acting, but somehow rises above it.

Bounty hunters working out of what used to be a luxury space liner.

Set just in the solar system, not particularly hard sci-fi, but it's an endearingly grubby view of the future.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
How can Kier Starmer win big this year?

Angrymog posted:

an endearingly grubby view of the future.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is just loving amazing. Ignore the FPBE account

https://twitter.com/g_gosden/status/1742218173267550233

:allears:

P.S. Foundation is the best current sci-fi series, and I'll fight anyone who says different

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I think we can all agree that the worst Star Trek, for a very long list of reasons, is Firefly.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

So bad, didn't even get a second series.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OzyMandrill posted:

1st season of Lexx

Yo Way Yo, Home Va-Ray,
Yo Ay-Rah, Jerhume Brunnen-G!

I used to love Lexx - one of the first shows on Channel 5 when it started (as was Xena Warrior Princess).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Surprised no one's mentioned For All Mankind yet. The early parts at least are pretty grounded (it fast forwards like a decade every season) and some of the background alternate history stuff can be amusing. Plus :ussr: is still around (and the point of divergence is they land on the moon first), possibly relevant in the UK Marxism Thread ;p

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

fuctifino posted:

P.S. Foundation is the best current sci-fi series, and I'll fight anyone who says different

That can’t be real can it?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

there's a few 'neighbour wants the wifi password' tiktoks out there

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jakabite posted:

Second, it’s an actually realistic portrayal of space travel and combat - I literally don’t think I’ve ever seen that in anything else.

Event Horizon has a pretty realistic portrayal of space travel.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Firefly was a pretty good cowboy bebop rip off in its time but like looking back on it now and noticing how the goodies were confederate coded losers of a civil war and literally refered to themselves as 'browncoats' it does lose a bit of its lustre yeah.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Plus the guy who made it got me too'd depending on how you feel about 'death of the author'.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jakabite posted:

That can’t be real can it?

Yeah I was going to say, seems a bit fake. Maybe I'm just jaded.

I'd expect to be far more annoyed as the guy talking through the doorbell.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 2, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Private Speech posted:

Yeah I was going to say, seems a bit fake. Maybe I'm just jaded.
I'm pretty good at filtering out fake stuff, but if this slipped through my detectors, then I apologise.

quote:

I'd expect to be far more annoyed as the guy talking through the doorbell.
Not if they were savvy enough to think of the TikTok clout so were playing along.

I want to believe the video is real. I know people as crazy as this, and I've had interactions with people as crazy as this before.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I think it is fake as the guy is wearing a poppy as if to emphasize his gammon nature.
On the other hand, I bet there are people who just don't get it and do think like that!
But does anyone these days paying for wifi not have a password on it, even by default?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That said I had a neighbour once who was utterly insane about the bins, to the point of dumping his rubbish on the ground next to ours because he didn't like that we kept them on a side street (taking them in would involve carrying the whole bin 2 flights of stairs down a rickety 1-person stairway).

Even the binmen said it was okay when I asked. He also wrote passive aggressive letters about it he shoved under our door, hassled visitors and called the council (who said it was okay) and our landlord (by asking some tradesmen for his number when they came to fix the heating).

So perhaps I'm underestimating the entitled insanity potential of rando neighbours.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

Enjoying my 0.756 bottle Wanka of champagne.
sounds like the perfect champagne for you!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

The gall of it.
Had something similar happen, but with 30+ leechers.
A pub next door to our old house, one of the workers knocked on the door asking for wifi password so he could do his university work. Said would only be working there two weeks.
It wasn't me that answered the door, was my brother, who gave him the password.
A few months later, we noticed the connection was lagging and crashing a lot, so I checked out the router and found 30+ connections, mostly android phones.
Changed the password, and connection goes fine again.
Next day the owner comes over and asks for the password, tell him no.
Few weeks later we heard that they had our wifi password pinned up somewhere so anyone there could use it.
And they were streaming illegal football streams using it, probably the main reason of the lag in the first place..

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nationalized broadband but it's just your horrible neighbours leeching all your bandwidth.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

feedmegin posted:

Plus the guy who made it got me too'd depending on how you feel about 'death of the author'.
I feel thats a bit more complicated when we're dealing with a showrunner and executive producer, as with other shows hes credited as the sole creative force of theres a lot of talented writers and actors whos work and performances can still easily be enjoyed. For shows like Angel it turns out he was just one lovely guy who legit made the show worse in a lot of ways.

But yeah Joss did concieve the show as following good guy space confederates that aspect is entirely on him.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think it pretty much has to be a skit based on nothing more than that as far as I know pretty much every ISP ships their routers with a password by default and has done for years. Who in their right mind switches it to an open connection?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

fuctifino posted:

I want to believe the video is real. I know people as crazy as this, and I've had interactions with people as crazy as this before.

The most unbelievable part is someone not having a password on their WiFi for two years

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1742243224813441086

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1741614710066127323

lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But does anyone these days paying for wifi not have a password on it, even by default?
Yeah every basic-rear end router will have a password on the bottom or side or on a little card for like the past 10 years at least.

The only way you might not is if you turned it off for convenience without wondering what purpose it might be serving (security is one area where Chesterton's Fence is true) or if you have a router with a guest wifi option, in which case you maybe can't complain if other people are using the guest wifi that you enabled.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I watched the first few episodes of Babylon 5 and they were indeed extremely poo poo. I'm told it gets better though.

Your standards are absurdly high. B5 season 1 was rocky in places, but the three opening episodes are all fine. You get a great "hit the ground running" opener in Midnight on the Firing Line, then W Morgan Sheppard being creepy as gently caress in Soul Hunter, then Born to the Purple is a solid character piece.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've just had a scan, and I can see at least two unsecured wireless hotspots near me. So my guess is people switch on guest wifi, which is often unsecured, or turn off the passwords due to convenience. So people are still this dumb in TYOL 2024

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Thomas Jane's dumb-rear end hat was almost enough to make me turn off the Expanse in its own right. If I wanted to see a fedora-wearing dork, I'd obviously just turn off my monitor.

TBH I think event-of-the-week shows or ones with an arc interspersed with other side stuff benefit from being watched with one of those guides that tells you which episodes you can safely skip over. I love Deep Space 9 and while there are some really good early eps, there are also some incredibly terrible episodes in the early seasons. If I wasn't wallowing in nostalgia about it when I started rewatching recently, I'd have stopped watching before it gets great because there are some that are just so bad.

Move Along Home is a great episode and only cowards skip it

Microplastics posted:

Seconding this, but I have to give a special shout out to the episode where the captain and the pilot hyper-evolve into salamanders and have babies. Just the absolute balls of doing that plot

It won an Emmy for makeup!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warp 10 turned me into a newt!

A newt?

I got better.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Series one is quite iffy, that i won't deny but for its day it was a good groundbreaker.

----------

Only seen Foundation on YT, i think it's impressive but i worry if they will be able to carry the series through to the finish.

----------

The Expanse is great, it helps that it is based on a series of books and it also has an ending.

---------

Firefly escapist fun, series + movie was good enough for me, from what i heard series two would have been dark & shite so bullet dodged. :shrug:

---------

fuctifino posted:

I've just had a scan, and I can see at least two unsecured wireless hotspots near me. So my guess is people switch on guest wifi, which is often unsecured, or turn off the passwords due to convenience. So people are still this dumb in TYOL 2024

No wifi in my house (never plugged that bit in), only ethernet cable. :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

No wifi in my house (never plugged that bit in), only ethernet cable. :)
Part of mine runs outside the house, following the route of the old TV cable to get internet to my smart TV.

I'll have to check that there aren't any old Englishmen who feel entitled to that part of my internet.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Part of mine runs outside the house, following the route of the old TV cable to get internet to my smart TV.

I'll have to check that there aren't any old Englishmen who feel entitled to that part of my internet.

There definitely are. They all work for the home office and/or the police.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Something something right to roaming data.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bab 5 is the best TV show ever made

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Babs 5 is the best TV show ever made

That's a controversial opinion to have about the Jess Philips remake, but I respect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Babs 5 is the version where everyone is played by barbara windsor.