Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ms Adequate posted:

Bab 5 is the best TV show ever made

Take a look at this no-life nerd who has watched every tv show ever made anywhere, including the German adaptation of Queer Eye "Schwul macht cool"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ms Adequate posted:

Bab 5 is the best TV show ever made

I saw an episode of that once, and it involved a monster on a secret level that turned out to be a bloke with ridiculously long fingernails silhouetted against a light. My extremely embarrassed friend muttered something about that being the worst episode, but I've avoided it since anyway.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

OwlFancier posted:

Babs 5 is the version where everyone is played by barbara windsor.

The sequel to Blake's 7. (Eight Babs was too expensive.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

Take a look at this no-life nerd who has watched every tv show ever made anywhere, including the German adaptation of Queer Eye "Schwul macht cool"
Many of the adaptations are called some variation of Fab 5.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Question IRL posted:

Not only did Voyager come out before the BSG remake, the same producer (Ronald D. Moore) worked on both.

If you watch the very early Voyager episodes you can see some ideas/themes that would be in BSG.

https://www.slashfilm.com/813804/the-star-trek-frustrations-that-shaped-battlestar-galactica/

IIRC, he wanted to do BSG because he wasn't allowed to do the survival thing in voyager.
A big part of that was that the network didn't want the damage to be persistent because they would've had to keep refilming the panning shots of the ship all the time.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guavanaut posted:

:gowron:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

I saw an episode of that once, and it involved a monster on a secret level that turned out to be a bloke with ridiculously long fingernails silhouetted against a light. My extremely embarrassed friend muttered something about that being the worst episode, but I've avoided it since anyway.

Your friend was right. :kiddo:

edit: A clip to balance things out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8vdHx2wHAY

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 2, 2024

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Babylon 5 is the West Wing of Sci-Fi shows.

A position I will elaborate on, if required after the flight I am on takes off from Glasgow and lands in Dublin.

(Puts on Flight Mode.)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Babylon 5 is like a weirder alternate version of DS9 that was made on an atari. Its about as good imo, less baseball episodes at least.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr Phillby posted:

Babylon 5 is like a weirder alternate version of DS9 that was made on an atari. Its about as good imo, less baseball episodes at least.

My fav Bab5/TNG/DS9 trivia is that they were trying to be secretive and not have anything leak so the other could copy.
Then turns out Patricia Tallman was often working on B5 as Lyta, and as TNG stunt person, on the same day.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The Question IRL posted:

Babylon 5 is the West Wing of Sci-Fi shows.

A position I will elaborate on, if required after the flight I am on takes off from Glasgow and lands in Dublin.

(Puts on Flight Mode.)

In this essay I will..

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
All im saying is DS9 would have been better if instead of using a communicator badge Sisko went up to a big CRT screen with a spinning 3D graphic reading 'TREKCOM' each time

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
O'Brien was the true MVP of TNG and DS9.

Notice how both the best Star Trek shows has an Irish guy moaning about the wife.
THE FUTURE

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I always wondered how Colm Meaney felt about them having his character sing Jerusalem in DS9

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Thinking about West Wing chat, I think the success of The Bear could bring a new wave of prestige shows that have themes (total dedication to a vocation and institution as the supreme virtue, no matter the cost to your personal life - and in the case of the Bear, your health), tone (deadly earnest with smattering of light comedy), and style (fast-paced, dialogue-driven) similar to both shows.

Giving something like this to Moffat will produce absolutely demonic results, because it will combine his desperate need to prove how clever he is with the inevitable intense smugness of a show being pitched as some sort of public good. If you're particularly masochistic you can easily imagine Moffat's Holmes and Watson doing a corridor walk-and-talk about asylum backlogs

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

happyhippy posted:

Notice how both the best Star Trek shows has an Irish guy moaning about the wife.
THE FUTURE

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Failed Imagineer posted:

Foundation is also incredible, for anyone who isn't watching. I put it off for a long time because it's different from the original books, but who cares it owns

Skipping two pages to respond to this because Foundation is not a good show. Unless the second season is somehow a massive improvement on the first which I doubt

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

happyhippy posted:

THE FUTURE

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I bet he has opinions about the transporter room

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

DS9 is what you get when Paramount nicks the B5 project and places it in the ST universe. :argh:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
avery brooks' eyes lighting up when he says "baseball" is such a treat though

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Skipping two pages to respond to this because Foundation is not a good show. Unless the second season is somehow a massive improvement on the first which I doubt

The second season was a pretty big improvement, especially towards the end. The last few episodes were great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
we talkin about Farscape?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

we talkin about Farscape?

Scorpious is the best ever written villian in all of literature and I will fight anyone over it.
Even though he looks like a ball bag in a gimp suit.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Farscape did a better job of playing with the infinite possibilities of alien species, instead of just humans with funny foreheads, than just about every scifi show in existence (perhaps Who?). Also it ran with the two Crichtons plot in a way that Startrek never could. That and Crichton actually getting absolutely hosed in the head by the situation as the show goes on instead of resetting him every episode.

I know I used spoiler tags on a 20 years old show but it's just too good a show to spoil for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 2, 2024

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jakabite posted:

I’ve heard this from a few people.

For me it’s a few things. Firstly, the scale. I’ll not expand further but where the show’s at even by the start of season 3 is… well, it’s not where you expect, put it that way. Second, it’s an actually realistic portrayal of space travel and combat - I literally don’t think I’ve ever seen that in anything else. Other than the engine that allows them to travel at the speeds they can, it’s all pretty grounded. High G manoeuvres are extremely harsh on the body. Space is portrayed as a cold, dark, hostile place. The sense that every ship is just a fragile pocket of air, water and people is very palpable. The weapons aren’t lasers - they’re rockets and chain guns, which are primarily defensive (and when they deploy it’s insanely cool. I enjoy doing an impression of them that’s been likened to Milhouse demonstrating the different types of sprinkler). Rail guns are also a thing, but they’re rare, expensive, and affect the ships trajectory. Tiny details like engines firing for a second as a rail gun fires to compensate are all there.

Finally, the political aspect is really cool. It’s not totally lefty or anything but it’s interesting and again grounded in the real world. It’s only set 300 years in the future and you look at the universe and go ‘yeah, I could see that being the case’.

Some of the main characters aren’t super interesting, but most are, and there are some amazing character moments. My man Amos Burton and his favourite stripper (the Secretary General of the United Nations of Earth) are particular stand outs.

Persevere with it, you’ll not regret it.

One of the things I liked about The Expanse is that it wasn't set in some idealised utopian sci-fi future with magic warp travel. It's set in a future where humanity has done nothing to save Earth from catastrophic climate change/resource depletion, and the planet is on life support relying on resources being mined and shipped in from the asteroid belt by an exploited underclass living and working in the worst possible conditions.

If we ever did progress enough to expand into the solar system to the extent portrayed in the show, then it's pretty much how things would pan out.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Scorpious is the best ever written villian in all of literature and I will fight anyone over it.
Even though he looks like a ball bag in a gimp suit.

Farscape: Innocent American gets introduced to Australian BDSM scene. :stare:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Oh boy I did a grink, I'm never gonna live this down :ohno:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Crais is my favourite. Spectacular character development and performance from start to end.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

Surprised no one's mentioned For All Mankind yet. The early parts at least are pretty grounded (it fast forwards like a decade every season) and some of the background alternate history stuff can be amusing. Plus :ussr: is still around (and the point of divergence is they land on the moon first), possibly relevant in the UK Marxism Thread ;p

Yeah but it's on some stupid streaming service which makes it easier to understand why it is less talked about. It's a pretty neat premise, though I'm not sure it gets better the further and further they get from our timeline.

But it has Frank Sobotka from The Wire's 2nd season and he's great.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I don't follow darts, but I did notice a lot of people online taking the piss out of his looks and saying that there's no way he's 16, which was poo poo. Then the Sun tried to abuse his naivety, but it's backfired on them beautifully.

He's a good lad, and he's apparently a loving amazing darts player

e: Oops. Just realised the date was 29th Dec. As i said, I don't follow darts. lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 3, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Crais is my favourite. Spectacular character development and performance from start to end.

I think he had the most perfect conclusion.... what a path indeed. :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We can all agree that Rebel Moon is totally poo poo, right?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

I don't follow darts, but I did notice a lot of people online taking the piss out of his looks and saying that there's no way he's 16, which was poo poo. Then the Sun tried to abuse his naivety, but it's backfired on them beautifully.

He's a good lad, and he's apparently a loving amazing darts player

e: Oops. Just realised the date was 29th Dec. As i said, I don't follow darts. lol

He doesn't look 16 though. Like, that's a kid who looks like he could get served in his local for a decade minimum. But he's also in the semi-finals of the WDC which means he's walking away with at least £100k. At 16. So who cares if he looks an older 16?

EDIT: He's actually in the final so that's £250k guaranteed

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 3, 2024

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Does he have to reach 18 before getting that prize money?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I find the whole "he doesn't look 16" to be really uncomfortable, just as I found it uncomfortable when racists were screaming the same at young male asylum seekers. Some people just age quickly, and I remember a few people at my school who looked in their 30's and 40's when they were 16. I'm an old out of touch hermit, but isn't this a form of body shaming?

(and that's not a dig at you forkboy84, but a dig at some of the poo poo I've seen on twitter and elsewhere)

e: I was a very late developer, so experienced this from the other end of the spectrum, and the relentless abuse left many marks.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I don’t think anyone’s shaming him for not looking 16. Well, I’m sure some people are but that’s not been the tone of it from what I’ve seen. People age differently but the lad does not look 16 and I imagine this has served him very well in life - no one’s going to be a dick to the kid who can get the cans and smokes in

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say he looks like I looked when I was in my mid to late twenties, but puberty hits some people like a sack of bricks, some people just look older or younger than others.

I started going grey when I was about 15 so I look a bit mismatched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Certain cesspit corners of the internet have been mocking and shaming him hard, forgetting that he's still a 16 year old kid. Just be thankful none of that has popped up on your feeds