Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

really queer Christmas posted:

How the gently caress are the saints in the top half offensively.

The charts are answering the question "On every new 1st&10 (or 1st&Goal), what was the outcome of that particular series?", and it's sorted in descending order of "Sum of Touchdowns + First Downs" (or if you prefer, ascending order of "Field Goals + Punts + Turnovers").

Basically, it should line up fairly well with "Yards Gained per Drive", with differentiations caused by outliers in turnover or explosive play rates (since both will reduce the number of new 1st&10s achieved per drive).

Saints are very middle-of-the-pack but have a low turnover rate so they rose to the sort-of top of that group and snuck into "top half of offenses" as per Baldwin's chart.

To me, all these various charts and graphs really emphasize one truth that the loudest reporters and fans often neglect (the former usually intentionally to generate debates):

Play to play, series to series, drive to drive, game to game, the majority of the league are neck-and-neck. The sample size is incredibly small, and the number of players and coaches impacting the outcome of each play is very large. In the aggregate, each game will have a winner, but anyone using that as evidence as demonstrable superiority/inferiority is trying way too hard to find order within disorder.

It's what makes football (and rugby, and related sports) fun to follow and discuss, and it's why "Any Given Sunday" actually bears out in reality. Unfortunately (or fortunately, if it's a Barstool shithead) it also can cause some of the most ridiculous breakdowns and outbursts in a person.

:havlat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Was he throwing it at a fan or just into the crowd in general? I didn't see anyone yelling in the clip until the drink got thrown and it looks like someone got up to fight.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That’ll show him.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

kalensc posted:

The charts are answering the question "On every new 1st&10 (or 1st&Goal), what was the outcome of that particular series?", and it's sorted in descending order of "Sum of Touchdowns + First Downs" (or if you prefer, ascending order of "Field Goals + Punts + Turnovers").

Basically, it should line up fairly well with "Yards Gained per Drive", with differentiations caused by outliers in turnover or explosive play rates (since both will reduce the number of new 1st&10s achieved per drive).

Saints are very middle-of-the-pack but have a low turnover rate so they rose to the sort-of top of that group and snuck into "top half of offenses" as per Baldwin's chart.

To me, all these various charts and graphs really emphasize one truth that the loudest reporters and fans often neglect (the former usually intentionally to generate debates):

Play to play, series to series, drive to drive, game to game, the majority of the league are neck-and-neck. The sample size is incredibly small, and the number of players and coaches impacting the outcome of each play is very large. In the aggregate, each game will have a winner, but anyone using that as evidence as demonstrable superiority/inferiority is trying way too hard to find order within disorder.

It's what makes football (and rugby, and related sports) fun to follow and discuss, and it's why "Any Given Sunday" actually bears out in reality. Unfortunately (or fortunately, if it's a Barstool shithead) it also can cause some of the most ridiculous breakdowns and outbursts in a person.

:havlat:

Just imagine MVS could catch a ball now and then, the Chiefs would be up there.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Oh no the 20-billionaire is gonna lose $300k I'm sure this will be a moment he'll not forget

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He Is Very Sorry For His Actions

quote:

“I am deeply passionate about this team and regret my behavior on Sunday,” Tepper said in a team-issued statement. “I should have let NFL stadium security handle any issues that arose. I respect the NFL’s code of conduct and accept the league’s discipline for my behavior.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article283762088.html#storylink=cpy

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Sweet. Always good to blame the other guy

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
So he should have had his security guy throw the beer. Got it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Sweet. Always good to blame the other guy

"The random guy in the stands also apologizes for his role in the incident."

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Papercut posted:

Oh no the 20-billionaire is gonna lose $300k I'm sure this will be a moment he'll not forget

My normalish brain immediately went “oh that’s a sizable fine” and then I remembered how many millions go into one billion

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Fun times.

https://x.com/jimmykimmel/status/1742324477323833546?s=46

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
When does the list come out?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The idea of some MAGA Aaron Rodgers stan whack job going all Mark David Chapman on Jimmy Kimmel is somewhat funny to me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why would you fire random shots at Jimmy Kimmel.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Niwrad posted:

Was he throwing it at a fan or just into the crowd in general? I didn't see anyone yelling in the clip until the drink got thrown and it looks like someone got up to fight.

Why does it matter

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CharlestheHammer posted:

Jimmy Kimmel probably took a swipe at him at some point in time. Or at one of his romantic interests

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Flikken posted:

Jimmy Kimmel probably took a swipe at him at some point in time. Or at one of his romantic interests

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9vRQXh-KcM

Not gonna watch it, but I scrubbed through to confirm he was making fun of him over Covid stuff.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Aaron's in the list I bet. These idiots always project their criminal behavior on everyone else because they think they're all doing it too.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

bet Kraft is on the list

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
After cook clears waivers I could see the cowboys looking at him since their backup runningback is injured and their third string running back is three inches shorter than Bryce Young.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The Aaron Rodgers stuff is wild

Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_VSnPyJAg

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1742320120448348315

???

What the gently caress is the NFL trying to say with this dumbass video?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1742320120448348315

???

What the gently caress is the NFL trying to say with this dumbass video?

It sure looks like 70 is running onto the field doing the handwave in front of his chest while no other OL does. 68 sure doesn't ever actually wave his hand to indicate that he's reporting.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Mr. Nice! posted:

It sure looks like 70 is running onto the field doing the handwave in front of his chest while no other OL does. 68 sure doesn't ever actually wave his hand to indicate that he's reporting.

Probably because he was directly in front of the ref directly telling him he's eligible. You know, for that trick play the Lions went over with the refs in detail before the game?

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Where do fines go? Into the NFL operating budget or back to the owners?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Edna Mode posted:

Where do fines go? Into the NFL operating budget or back to the owners?

Pretty sure they go into a retired players fund

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Nice! posted:

No it literally doesn't and no it literally doesn't because they use a camera angle so wide that you don't ever see 68 and don't see the ref look at him and nod at him. You dumbfuck.

Hey look, here's 68 in the red circle, wonder what he's doing!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mr. Nice! posted:

After cook clears waivers I could see the cowboys looking at him since their backup runningback is injured and their third string running back is three inches shorter than Bryce Young.

That's a proper back right there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalli posted:

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9vRQXh-KcM

Not gonna watch it, but I scrubbed through to confirm he was making fun of him over Covid stuff.

lol nearly 3 years ago

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd like the NFL to also tweet out how the Cowboys were somehow responsible for the tripping call they made, despite it clearly being a Detroit player tripping on that play.

Cause yknow, if that play doesn't happen then the Lions never even get to drive down the field.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

You and I typically see eye to eye on things but cmon man lol this is clearly an instance of silver and blue glasses if that’s what you genuinely see

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Shinjobi posted:

I'd like the NFL to also tweet out how the Cowboys were somehow responsible for the tripping call they made, despite it clearly being a Detroit player tripping on that play.

Cause yknow, if that play doesn't happen then the Lions never even get to drive down the field.

I checked the TFF Codex, and under rule 1 "gently caress the Cowboys", that play was correctly officiated.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The refs hosed up on a gimmick play where for whatever reason the Lions stuck with the call when the wrong player was called eligible, when the entire point of the play was to cover up who was actually eligible. Congrats, you did what you wanted to do except fooled the refs too? The eligible lineman is announced over the PA, why not audible? There is a good argument to be made if they didn't blow the tripping call on the previous drive none of this would be discussed.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

This is a beautiful, and I believe true, post. thank you kalen

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hot Diggity! posted:

The refs hosed up on a gimmick play where for whatever reason the Lions stuck with the call when the wrong player was called eligible, when the entire point of the play was to cover up who was actually eligible. Congrats, you did what you wanted to do except fooled the refs too? The eligible lineman is announced over the PA, why not audible? There is a good argument to be made if they didn't blow the tripping call on the previous drive none of this would be discussed.

Audible to what? The ref's error made it an illegal formation anyway, as has been exhaustively covered. You want them to "audible" into to a completely different formation?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

The Lions were in a huddle when they announced the eligible receiver.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Instead of the refs doing their jobs, the Lions should've heard something they didn't hear, stopped the play with a timeout they didn't have and gone to a different play with a different formation that was only illegal because of the ref not doing their job. Christ almighty.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If it makes you feel any better I wish that phantom tripping call never happened to spare you and yours the agony of this shitshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Genuinely not the end of the world to admit “my team got a free win because of a lovely call” because that’s the league. It happens.