Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MJeff posted:

Blame the NFL for releasing a terrible, incomprehensible video about it instead of letting it go.

And by the way, "It wouldn't have even made a difference, unless this thing that happened had not happened." is both very stupid and very wrong.

So to recap how that game ended:

-Lions don't even get a shot at winning the game unless the refs blame the wrong side for a tripping penalty

-Lions march down the field because the Cowboys have decided they want to die by prevent defense. Lions are flying, they score a touchdown way too easy.

-Lions get brutally owned by the refs failing to understand a trick play they were specifically warned about before the game, blowing up an otherwise successful 2 point conversion. Lots of other question marks around this play, like "would the Cowboys defense have covered the reported player" which is a fair enough question given the defensive effort on this final drive

-Lions, backed up, still attempt a 2 point conversion. They fail, but get bailed out by Dallas defense offsides. Lol

-Lions insist yet again on 2 point conversion, fail. Lose.

So you've got bad ref opening the door to even give you the chance, bad ref closing the door on winning in regulation, and then bullheaded coach turning down overtime.

Honest to God I feel like both teams are getting hosed by refs (not on an offsides call, obviously), both teams are being hampered by their coach, but ultimately it wasn't Fat Mike who dug his feet in and touched the hot stove for the third time in a row.

Throw the refs into the sun if you want, I'll help, but that one fuckup is not the story of the game and it's frustrating to see people insist otherwise.

Anyway continue to just post gently caress the Cowboys or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I think the NFL should have full time refs, personally

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

I want to vomit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

a neat cape posted:

I think the NFL should have full time refs, personally

I mean even then they will make mistakes.

Like would fill time refs stop that particular ref from not hearing the guy calling eligibility or forgetting the play they saw at the beginning of the game? I can’t see how

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean even then they will make mistakes.

Like would fill time refs stop that particular ref from not hearing the guy calling eligibility or forgetting the play they saw at the beginning of the game? I can’t see how

They're human and will always make mistakes no matter how good they are.

There's no solution to that part.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

a neat cape posted:

They're human and will always make mistakes no matter how good they are.

There's no solution to that part.

officiating error, replay of down

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AndrewP posted:

officiating error, replay of down

What’s funny is that is more or less what happened here

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think Travis Kelce is fine. Generally likable. He's not the first NFL personality to attempt to launch a post-football media career.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

post gently caress the Cowboys or whatever

Shinjobi posted:

gently caress the Cowboys

no matter what happens this will never not be true

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There is no remedy that wouldn't be unfairly punitive the other way. You can't review it, what would you review? Oh, the Lions did actually declare correctly, so uh, they do get the two points. Now the Cowboys are like, what the gently caress, you said the wrong number, we didn't get a chance to defend the play correctly!

There's no mechanism or system you can put in place. The ref just has to do his job right. And if you have a ref that can't stop for five seconds and confirm which guy is reporting before he announces it, well, that guy probably shouldn't be in that position.

I know all of that. I watched the game. I know that ultimately the reason the Lions lost was because Goff short-armed a pass to a TE on the third try.

I'm pissed that the NFL sent out a video on Tuesday, after it was all already settled, after everybody, was ready to move on, that was deceptively edited to make it look like the Lions hosed up declaring and ran an illegal play. I'm just pissed that they're doubling down on this stupid poo poo instead of A) Admitting the guy just got it wrong, which wouldn't even make me feel any better, but would at least be honest, or B) Just shutting the gently caress up about it, since they clearly are unwilling to do A.

Like, they'll leak through Schefter that the crew is being demoted and not making the playoffs and Schefter will, clearly with the NFL's blessing because why else would he, bury the crew six feet under for the Tripping call, the 2 point call, the missed DPI against MVS, but officially, they'll insist that the Lions hosed up, somehow. They're talking out of both sides of their mouths and it just makes this poo poo where everybody is mad at the refs for something else every week even worse and even more untenable.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Eventually we will have robot refs that get every call right. Penalty calls will skyrocket because 80% of plays involve holding or false starts. Also there will be a Referee Vtuber who is designed to apologize 24/7 regarding the new pace of play.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Shinjobi posted:

So to recap how that game ended:

Refs botching a judgment call (the tripping) deserves to be called out and the refs should be held accountable, yes.

It's unfortunately going to occur in a sport with 22 elite-level athletes smashing each other or sprinting away from each other while being observed by 6 or 7 middle-aged (or older) lawyers and whatnot. Hopefully the oversights end up balancing out for teams in the long run.

The Lions coaching staff assembled a clever playcall that followed the rules, and was designed to create misdirection by purposefully mimicking what "normally happens" when a lineman reports as eligible. Essentially, they ran a gosh darn play-action during their substitutions before that two-point attempt.

It should have been a moment where creativity, bravado, and loads of practice reps were rewarded with a legit opportunity to achieve something at the most high-leverage moment of a crucial prime-time game.

And the ref hosed it up, when there were no players running and blocking and tackling at max intensity, when there was unlimited time to get it right, when there was no excuse to be asleep at the switch when the entire plan had been drawn on the board for the refs a mere 4 hours earlier.

It's as bad as loving up how a coin flip is called, or awarding a team a 5th down. What a drat shame, everyone lost out on something good, smart, and cool that play.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I cannot promise I will not simp for the catgirl refs.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

MJeff posted:

.....:dafuq:

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fsif posted:

I think Travis Kelce is fine. Generally likable. He's not the first NFL personality to attempt to launch a post-football media career.

He's not quite as corny as Russ Wilson I'll say that and his bro seems cool.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Jason Kelce rules

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

The only acceptable conclusion to all of this is the Lions trying to run a "wrong ball" play on fourth down this week.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!

a neat cape posted:

Jason Kelce rules

Why do I know who his wife is?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

MJeff posted:

Elon is to busy owning the libs to make that happen

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

just make me the one single super ref, i'll take care of this

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mcmagic posted:

Why do I know who his wife is?

Not sure, she shows up on his podcast from time to time. She's not as famous as her Brother in laws girlfriend.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation

Flikken posted:

Not sure, she shows up on his podcast from time to time. She's not as famous as her Brother in laws girlfriend.

I see her on FB and IG literally all the time for some reason.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mcmagic posted:

why are you on FB and IG

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sliding into the dms of models and grandmas

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation

Alaois posted:

why are you on FB and IG

Because I'm old and I have certain friends who that is the best way to keep in touch with.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

kalensc posted:

It's as bad as loving up how a coin flip is called, or awarding a team a 5th down. What a drat shame, everyone lost out on something good, smart, and cool that play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5sLKDHwKic

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Travis is cashing in while while knocking boots with the world's most famous woman like any man would

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mcmagic posted:

So the algrothim decided you are interested in her stuff.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://x.com/ddpeckers_clt/status/1742351929412387074?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Their wings are….ok

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Zurreco posted:

Also there will be a Referee Vtuber who is designed to apologize 24/7 regarding the new pace of play.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

fsif posted:

Travis is only the likeable player on the Chiefs.

The NFL isn't going to not use T-swift to try and white wash (swift wash?) them.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm having a hard time following this. Did the Lions lose because Taylor Swift paid off the refs so they wouldn't release the fact that Travis Kelce used his celebrity to help Jimmy Kimmel get a flight on Epstein's plane?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's exactly right.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

The gently caress is a Vtuber

Actually, ignore that, I'm sure the answer will just raise further questions that irk my gumption

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the rock is one of the most naturally charismatic, telegenic, straight-talking dudes to ever appear on television. there is a reason people have speculated on him running for president, and it's because he is absolutely gifted at connecting to you through a television. easily one of the best ever.

travis kelce...is not even close to having a personality, real or tv. he tries too hard. everything's forced. there's no sense of humor. at best, he's a guy who'd appear in like a cameo on the hangover vii or something dumb.

what a disaster.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 3, 2024

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Travis Kelce cannot truly ascend until he remakes "Stone Cold."

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

MJeff posted:

"Blocking below the uwuaist, defense, rokujuuban, 15 yard penalty, automatic first nyan!"

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

kalensc posted:

The gently caress is a Vtuber

Actually, ignore that, I'm sure the answer will just raise further questions that irk my gumption

The kids these days are making animated avatars instead of using facecams when they stream. A lot of them are women and this has made the internet very mad

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The kids these days are making animated avatars instead of using facecams when they stream. A lot of them are women and this has made the internet very mad

Wait, it's only for the kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Wait, it's only for the kids?

More of a reflection that we're old