Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Talorat posted:

That thread reminded me of my favorite Unsuur moment, where you say "It's not normal to have boxes of dozens of rocks" and he responds "Oh you're one to talk, you have hundreds of rocks in boxes at your workshop" Fair.
That was good, but a silly one that still makes me laugh (after you get to know him for a while) is this exchange:

Justice: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!?
Unsure: … I'm pretty sure I’m not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A Sometimes Food posted:

I was gonna put it as my #2 in the goty thread but while writing the post I realised I'd written like nearly triple what I had for any other game and almost all positive and bumped it up to #1.

Yeah, I thought I had my GOTY settled and then I spent four straight weeks playing this game nonstop in all of my free time and even though I was only about 40% through the story when I wrote my GOTY list, no other game in 2023 did this to me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That was good, but a silly one that still makes me laugh (after you get to know him for a while) is this exchange:

Justice: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!?
Unsure: … I'm pretty sure I’m not.

The best Unsuur line is when Unsuur and Justice are doing Good Cop/Bad Cop while interrogating Andy.

⁠Unsuur⁠ - If you don't tell us where Logan is, I'm gonna be really angry.
⁠Justice⁠ - You better do what he says, he's crazy!
⁠Andy⁠ - Man. Before, forehead over there was the good cop, and dreadlocks was the bad cop; now you're the good cop! At least get your interrogation technique straight, sheesh! Buncha amateurs...
⁠Justice⁠ - Dang it! This is goin' nowhere... Look, kid, just tell us where Logan is. Lives are at stake here!
⁠Unsuur⁠ - You better do what he says, he's crazy.
⁠Justice⁠ - Ah, good grief...
⁠Andy⁠ - Ahaha! Now you're both "good cops!"
⁠Unsuur⁠ - Thanks, Andy. Nobody's ever said that about us before.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mordiceius posted:

- The invisible walls suck. Portia never really used invisible walls. If they didn't want you going somewhere, the bridge would be out or there would be a cliff you couldn't climb. The invisible wall use in Sandrock is egregious. They give us a huge desert and then put an invisible wall right down the center of it for zero reason. It feels very much like "we ran out of budget/time so this is our fix." Very disappointing.

- Sandfishing sucks. I generally love fishing in games. Sandfishing is not good.

I don't mind the invisible walls much in Sandrock because otherwise you end up with a weird situation where every area is a canyon so that the player feels boxed in. The desert just kind of ending is fine - it just tells the player that there's no more stuff out there, so don't worry about it. And the world is expansive enough as-is for me to not stress.

Sandfishing gets infinitely better once you upgrade your tool. And I don't just mean upgrading the type of trap, I mean upgrading your trap to purple as well. The radius for catching increases dramatically, and you go from barely being able to catch fish to being able to catch all the fish with no issues.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Sandfishing gets infinitely better once you upgrade your tool. And I don't just mean upgrading the type of trap, I mean upgrading your trap to purple as well. The radius for catching increases dramatically, and you go from barely being able to catch fish to being able to catch all the fish with no issues.

I have the advanced sandtrap upgraded to purple +10. That's not what I have a problem with. Sandfishing is a multifaceted problem to me. There are too many baits. You have to keep the baits in your inventory. There is no indication which baits work at which holes, other than going and just trying every one out. Majority of the fish have zero use other than for the occasional request commission, but most I've not even seen show up there. Getting King fish is incredibly unreliable. Across hundreds of bait used, I think I've seen 3-4 kings total.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd have been nice if the home fishing pond was upgradeable to contain all the fish and not something you had to stock manually.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The big breakthrough in fishing was realizing you could just throw a dozen bait out at once in a circle and catch 15+ fish per cycle. The fish spawn chance perk is invaluable as well.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 2, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I already forgot his name but I’m shooting for the purple sweater wearing journalist guy who moved to Sandrock as my e-boyfriend.

I was gonna go for Qi initially but homie is serious about science, all the time, jokes are frowned upon.

Then there’s store owner guy who only sees me as his delivery guy and asked to take a loan from me. He also is stuck talking to me (and his sister) in honeyed words as if he’s gonna ask us for something. He definitely would be a Mary Kay seller if he existed irl.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I guess that would be my only other complaint - the side quests tend to be a bit frontloaded. Since they trigger of a combination of story progress and relationship level, depending on how you play, they may all trigger at once. For the first 40-50 hours of the game, every in game day felt like I had at least one new side quest popping up. Now, the only thing I have going is the main story. So the days where no main story is happening can be a bit... dry.

Yeah, though I wonder what the best solution to this would be.

Maybe some sort of "controlled randomization" where quests can spawn at random times between certain story quests. Like every day after a specific point (namely story quests, but also stuff like "a character reaching a certain affection threshold") one quest is randomly chosen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

buglord posted:

He definitely would be a Mary Kay seller if he existed irl.

Nah. That's Catori. She's also into NFTs.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

buglord posted:

I already forgot his name but I’m shooting for the purple sweater wearing journalist guy who moved to Sandrock as my e-boyfriend.

I was gonna go for Qi initially but homie is serious about science, all the time, jokes are frowned upon.

Then there’s store owner guy who only sees me as his delivery guy and asked to take a loan from me. He also is stuck talking to me (and his sister) in honeyed words as if he’s gonna ask us for something. He definitely would be a Mary Kay seller if he existed irl.

Qi's romance quests are actually pretty nice and well written.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Megazver posted:

It sucks this game was completely ignored by all the Best Games of the Year lists.

It was definitely in my Top 3.

EDIT: Also, some dev commentary on how they designed Unsuur: https://www.reddit.com/r/MyTimeAtSandrock/comments/18tql2n/dev_insights2_creating_unsuur_the_backstory_of_a/

This game was definitely top 5 for me, probably literally #3 (I don't remember offhand.) I really love this game and am looking forward to continuing to play it for many more hours this year.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

FINE I’ll go buy this game while it’s on sale.

Satisfsctory is going to have to let me out of its grasp eventually. I think. Probably.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

My top tip for anyone who is early or is about to start playing this game: DO NOT RUSH. DO NOT PANIC. DO NOT STRESS ABOUT TIME.

The only missions you have to worry about even the slightest amount is anything with a time limit. And usually that time limit is overly generous. Don't worry about trying to get everything done in a day. Don't worry about gathering obscene amounts of items. Take things at a relaxed pace. This game doesn't want you to stress. Any stress you feel will be entirely self-imposed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Nah. That's Catori. She's also into NFTs.

Characterizing Catori in this way is slander, because at least Catori creates actual real, physical businesses

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Any stress you feel will be entirely self-imposed.

I ended up having a Dinner at Unsuur's, a meeting with Qi with the telescope, and the halloween-like holiday all on the same night through odd timing. Even so I feel like they give you at least an hour window for "show up somewhere at X time" stuff as I was able to have dinner with Unsuur & Justice and do Qi's telescope thingie despite them starting at the same time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AcidCat posted:

I ended up having a Dinner at Unsuur's, a meeting with Qi with the telescope, and the halloween-like holiday all on the same night through odd timing. Even so I feel like they give you at least an hour window for "show up somewhere at X time" stuff as I was able to have dinner with Unsuur & Justice and do Qi's telescope thingie despite them starting at the same time.

I had a quest to meet up with Elsie at night and it happened to land on the dance off day. I showed up 3 hours late and it was fine. The game is generous.

Ytlaya posted:

Characterizing Catori in this way is slander, because at least Catori creates actual real, physical businesses

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, but she still has the real businesses!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Plus her Golden Goose tokens have a real and demonstrated use case, and can actually be exchanged for things.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are you supposed to be able to fix this with a Feather Duster?

I have never been able to make a feather duster to work on that. I have to pick up the machines and place them back down to get rid of that icon.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mordiceius posted:

I had a quest to meet up with Elsie at night and it happened to land on the dance off day. I showed up 3 hours late and it was fine. The game is generous.

Generally these things work by allowing you to show up at any night, not just that specific one. There are exceptions, however.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I have never been able to make a feather duster to work on that. I have to pick up the machines and place them back down to get rid of that icon.

You often have to find the precise correct angle. It's kinda weird and unintuitive. Just move around at different angles until you see highlighted dust.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jack Trades posted:

I've been told it's a known glitch where you can't fully dust something, and that if you pick it up and replace it that should fix the issue for a bit.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I picked this up right before Christmas during the Steam sale and drat, I just played it the whole week since I took PTO.

Mordiceius posted:

When I'm not playing Sandrock, I'm thinking about Sandrock.

It's this.

Also Qi :swoon: loved the romance story line.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They're asking people to do a feedback survey on Sandrock. One of the questions is "where would you want the next game to be set?" and you can see all the options if you do the survey:

https://forms.gle/CWnkJdkrWCQYF9h26

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
How's the co-op/multiplayer in Sandrock? Looking for a game to play with my buddy, we enjoyed Stardew multiplayer (and other games).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Faldoncow posted:

How's the co-op/multiplayer in Sandrock? Looking for a game to play with my buddy, we enjoyed Stardew multiplayer (and other games).

Multiplayer is its own mode removed from the story. They were originally planning on having the multiplayer be a mode with its own unique story (a prequel to the main game) but didn't have the resources to reach that goal. I haven't played multiplayer myself, but as I understand it, it's more about just taking commissions and building things up as a group.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Megazver posted:

They're asking people to do a feedback survey on Sandrock. One of the questions is "where would you want the next game to be set?" and you can see all the options if you do the survey:

https://forms.gle/CWnkJdkrWCQYF9h26

I'm kinda shocked that two "miserable world with evil and violence" are even possibilities lol

Granted, this game does have kinda dark and hosed up stuff in the margins, like the journal from the calamity (forget what it's called) that just describes some young girl starving to death while everyone around her is killed

edit: the non-war "dark/depressing" one actually sounds interesting, since I feel like the developers could maybe pull off "a dark/depressing setting that is overall hopeful in tone."

night yorb
Apr 21, 2023

Mordiceius posted:

Multiplayer is its own mode removed from the story. They were originally planning on having the multiplayer be a mode with its own unique story (a prequel to the main game) but didn't have the resources to reach that goal. I haven't played multiplayer myself, but as I understand it, it's more about just taking commissions and building things up as a group.

That's my experience with multiplayer. And honestly, I really disliked it and so did my partner. It's not really bad per se, just feels very bland. We tried to play over the holiday and made it 5+ hours in and it just felt like we could for sure keep going or we could just stop. So we stopped and haven't been back.

I really need to try out singleplayer to find out if this is just an 'us' problem or if the game itself with story and context still doesn't spark my interest. I want to like it!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Honestly, I think setting a "My Time" game during the tail end of the age of darkness would be great.

You could be one of the first ever builders, wandering until you stumble on a bunker filled with people in desperate need of your help.
The game could be spent building a proper settlement for them to live in, and the grand finale could be helping to bring about the sunlight.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

My Time On Rails - You got a train-based mobile workshop you can toot around to a bunch of different smaller maps and do different things, add train cars to, build rails to new areas.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

ZeeCee posted:

My Time On Rails - You got a train-based mobile workshop you can toot around to a bunch of different smaller maps and do different things, add train cars to, build rails to new areas.

Don’t play with my heart like that!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nice try, jenson.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ytlaya posted:

I'm kinda shocked that two "miserable world with evil and violence" are even possibilities lol

Granted, this game does have kinda dark and hosed up stuff in the margins, like the journal from the calamity (forget what it's called) that just describes some young girl starving to death while everyone around her is killed

edit: the non-war "dark/depressing" one actually sounds interesting, since I feel like the developers could maybe pull off "a dark/depressing setting that is overall hopeful in tone."

I think the devs could pull it off, they're obviously pretty competent writers, but dark/depressing stuff is the absolute last thing I'd want from a followup to this game. Maybe if they were making a game in one of the other genres they proposed, it would be okay, I guess.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
When's a good time to start going heavy into farming? I've read mixed opinions on it that range from "don't bother at all" to "don't do it until you have a bunch of free biocrust from quests".

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kanos posted:

When's a good time to start going heavy into farming? I've read mixed opinions on it that range from "don't bother at all" to "don't do it until you have a bunch of free biocrust from quests".

Neither of those. Immediately plant a coffee/tea tree it will generate so much free money from commissions from coffee/tea leaves, like seriously a single tree made me hundreds of thousands. The Jute/Cantaloupe fusion does the same but will need to be replanted. I mean it can be tedious to have a huge farm but a few trees takes almost nothing you just have to water it like once a week or two. Also plant a Chestnut tree if you want chickens.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
At the very least plant a couple of each tree, yes.

The farm soil slowly turns to biocrust when it upgrades, so if you're interested in farming you might want to start earlier. It might be more convenient to wait until you get the upgraded Farming Tool that lets you plant and water 2x2 instead of one tile. Plants also need a lot of water, so you might want to invest in having a bunch of rain collectors before you start farming.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I farm a couple of rows of tiles in front of my dew collectors, and cycle through mushrooms, leeks, pomatoes, sweet potato pepper, jute cantaloupe, just whatever is running lowest at the time. Especially once you get the intermediate farming kit it costs very little time (an hour or two every few days) to harvest and replant and gives you plenty of ingredients for cooking.

Mushrooms especially are a fantastic crop because Ernest and Amirah very often request ~10 meat stuffed mushroom and will pay you anything up to 1800 gols for them. They are also a horse's favourite food.
Mushroom seeds ("desert mushroom strains") are found by harvesting mushrooms under the large trees around Sandrock (across the track from the oasis, near the windmill, near the sandfishing spot by Eufala salvage).

Edit: the big water sink is in planting brand new tiles, as you always water each tile to maximum capacity and it takes 2 units to fully water a tile from dry (unless you have the relevant farming perk). But once they're watered most crops only sip water, and they don't consume water at all once they're done growing or if a farm tile is left empty.

Fake edit 2: different crops provide different boosts to fertility. Rose willow is far and away the best, and will as a byproduct give you all the fibre you will ever need.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 5, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kanos posted:

i went more into farming than was really necessary and at most you should maybe have one of each 3x3 tree, you may want more jute melons or whatever b/c you need fiber from them for some tailor recipes, but often the most demanded farm item was actually just mushrooms. Don't go nuts on it with a huge farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
By the way, once you get a house editing kit you can move plants while they’re growing.