Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023

Soap Scum posted:

i did initially read this as you poking her nose with an np swab against her will daily for a week

I mean you are not wrong. After she started testing negative, I had to do everything but the swab or the test wouldn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Pingui posted:

Can't read the entire article, but this snippet made me cackle.

This has been my anecdotal experience in hospital. Covid is the dominant illness, but lots of influenza and RSV. Way more than any other time during the pandemic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
hey you guys remember when that guy impersonated a pharmaceutical company on twitter and said they’d give out insulin for free? the hoax blew up so big that congress passed a law capping insulin at $35/month, which went into effect just now

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/01/01/politics/insulin-price-cap/index.html

I’m training in the Bene Gesserit ways so that I can sculpt the perfectly worded tweet to get everyone to wear masks again

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Lol, and lamo.

My company closes between Christmas and new years and we opened back up today. I have 3 people on my team.

One came in, coughing a little and with a swollen face? grumbling mildly and said they did one of their holiday gatherings virtual.
One worked from home, then later told me she had covid.
One worked from home, mildly sick with what she assumes is covid, who called me to angrily rant about being ambushed by covid-positive people at one of her family gatherings.

I hadn't seen or heard from my boss all day, but he called in the afternoon and mentioned he had covid, again. This is fantastic.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I heard a guy coughing super violently all morning then he sauntered over and said he and I were the "real die hards" for coming in to the office.

yeah dude. great choice of words.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think we have a kind of "invisible" COVID death situation. Boomers took down most trackers and ghouls want news coverage to a minimum. They realized keeping us informed meant we collectively bargained for better conditions. They can't return us all to the office so they can pump up real estste values if we fear the office collectively. However, there are loads of people invisibily dying of COVID all year around. The flu was always contained to a particular season but COVID is forever. I legit think we will experience near flatlined worldwide population growth compared to before as the virus endlessly ravages us. In time, I think it will contribute to the end of civilization.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Covok has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Jan 3, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/cyfi10/status/1742273207913394519?s=46

Walgreens tracker is back

weirdly, positivity rate is down now that more people are testing

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Covok posted:

I think we have a kind of "invisible" COVID death situation. Boomers took down most trackers and ghouls want news coverage to a minimum. They realized keeping us informed meant we collectively bargained for better conditions. They can't return us all to the office so they can pump up real estste values if we fear the office collectively. However, there are loads of people invisibily dying of COVID all year around. The flu was always contained to a particular season but COVID is forever. I legit think we will experience near flatlined worldwide population growth compared to before as the virus endlessly ravages us. In time, I think it will contribute to the end of civilization.

i don't think covid is shadow killing 130 million+ people every year, as bad as it is

and to your final point: yes, but as a symptom and light accelerant, not a root cause

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Covok posted:

also why we will never get a official strain name again

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Covok posted:

oh hey what's going on in the Covid thre- :ok:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Covid ghosts are overtaking our white baby birthrates

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Covid haunting my balls

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Asproigerosis posted:

This has been my anecdotal experience in hospital. Covid is the dominant illness, but lots of influenza and RSV. Way more than any other time during the pandemic.

Speaking of RSV it's looking like it'll beat its '22-'23 numbers this season

https://www.cdc.gov/surveillance/nrevss/rsv/natl-trend.html

Is there anywhere with a better graph?

Once RSV officially passes the '22-'23 season I want to be ready to immediately send an angry email to yourlocalepidemiologist telling her she's full of poo poo about immunity debt and RSV

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Covok posted:

I doubt it's killing that many people per year, but given skyrocketing autism and suchlike rates probably from microplastics and PFAS I expect it'll be fascinating to find out what COVID infections in the womb and repeatedly later do to developing brains. Teachers think kids in the classroom are bad now, just wait another four or five years for the current crop of toddlers to get into the pipeline.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

my wife wakes up past noon on the December 31st with nasal congestion. She also tells me she's feverish, so I give her something for both, and then I ask her to take a COVID test, and she tests positive

How strong of a red line was the test?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The students in here, they're like the crunchy placentas' babies' babies

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/meetjess/status/1742401548167057526?s=46

wow I can’t believe

oh wait it’s Canada

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Covok posted:

Source your quotes.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

freezepops posted:

What’s the latest information on home testing? I just about used up the last of my RATs and (after using up about 40 this last year) none came up negative despite a few sicknesses. Not COVID or just tests not working?

Do they still work well enough to bother buying more RATs?

The last set I bought had expiration dates of 12/31/23. What’s the most reliable place to buy some tests that last at least 6mo?

Should I upgrade to home PCR (is that a thing?)?

A bit late, but your first question is affected by how different guidance exists on how to self-administer a test, and the U.S. version is particularly lovely and prone to missing cases. Don't just swab your nose. A study posted recently found that swabbing your throat catches far more expelled virus among self-administered samples. Cough while you're doing it just to be sure.

Here are the Australian instructions for swabbing, which does include throats, showing that it is a legitimate practice that should be in the US box instructions as well if not for policymaker negligence. Notice the nose swab instructions differ quite a bit too (the "brain swab", low and slow enough to be comfortable, as opposed to the vertical nasal swab that barely goes in, which I actually find painful)
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/06/phln-guidance-covid-19-swab-collection-upper-respiratory-specimen.pdf

Also, as others said, if you're testing in the first few days of a sickness then a negative is often a false negative, so try again later.

For sourcing tests, next time you're at a pharmacy, double check at the counter as to whether your insurance approves a certain amount per month.

More reliable tests than RATs are available now, if you search the threat for Metrix, and they're affordable but not extremely so.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Precambrian Video Games posted:

How strong of a red line was the test?

quite clear I'd say

mine from this morning, for comparison

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Source your quotes.

It’s Covok, the guy known for panicking so much in the 2020 election thread (and other political threads) that he got verbed (‘no Covoking’ was shorthand for ‘stop freaking out about outlier polls’).

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
it's covoking to verbalize those things out loud instead of all kind of looking at each other silently in wide eyed horrified understanding and awe

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
FYI tests are basically useless the first 48 hours.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Complications posted:

I doubt it's killing that many people per year, but given skyrocketing autism and suchlike rates probably from microplastics and PFAS I expect it'll be fascinating to find out what COVID infections in the womb and repeatedly later do to developing brains. Teachers think kids in the classroom are bad now, just wait another four or five years for the current crop of toddlers to get into the pipeline.

this phenomenon is widespread among the teachers I worked with in, uh, sacrifice zones. basically:

times are good! parents feel good, bringing in 100k a household!

they have a kid and the kid gets regular pediatrician appointments in the city, head start, books and poo poo, good food.

times turn bad! (because communisms, they say) parents out of work, have to sell the trucks, lots of shame and trauma resurfaces so drug use follows.

they have another kid around this time. very little medical care is made available, can’t get to head start because all the teachers left with the oil, no books or good food because no money.

you get the boom kids in your class and it’s like, incredible. they show up, they get penpals in India, we get to do field trips, learning and growth!

then the bust kids age into school and like 20% of them need tube feeding or other intensive supports (no you can’t have any paraprofessionals and actually it’s bust times so we’re taking your grade 6 teacher and librarian (there are only 8 of you running the school now, down from 18 in the boom years), good luck!). the other kids in the class are a spectrum of dramatic developmental needs that nobody who can is willing to provide.

the only institution in the area that expanded that whole time is the cops.

i think this is relevant because we’re now in the societal bust times and the kids are not going to be alright.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I can't offhand find the data they refer to here, unfortunately. Nevertheless it is as expected and it will get worse. As Al-Aly is quoted as saying, long COVID is massively under-diagnosed and long COVID deaths are misattributed.
"Long COVID Has Caused Thousands of US Deaths: New CDC Data"

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/long-covid-has-caused-thousands-us-deaths-new-cdc-data-2024a100006l posted:

While COVID has now claimed more than one million lives in the United States alone, these aren't the only fatalities caused at least in part by the virus. A small but growing number of Americans are surviving acute infections only to succumb months later to the lingering health problems caused by long COVID.

Much of the attention on long COVID has centered on the sometimes debilitating symptoms that strike people with the condition, with no formal diagnostic tests or standard treatments available, and the impact it has on quality of life. But new figures from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show that long COVID can also be deadly.

At least 4600 Americans have died from long COVID since the start of the pandemic, according to new estimates from the CDC.

This total, based on death certificate data collected by the CDC, includes a preliminary tally of 1491 long COVID deaths in 2023 in addition to 3544 fatalities previously reported from January 2020 through June 2022.
(..)
The new death tally indicates long COVID remains a significant public health threat and is likely to grow in the years ahead, even though the pandemic may no longer be considered a global health crisis, experts said.

For example, the death certificate figures indicate:
  • COVID-19 was the third leading cause of American deaths in 2020 and 2021, and the fourth leading cause of death in the US in 2023.
  • Nearly 1% of the more than one million deaths related to COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic have been attributed to long COVID, according to data released by the CDC.
  • The proportion of COVID-related deaths from long COVID peaked in June 2021 at 1.2% and again in April 2022 at 3.8%, according to the CDC. Both of these peaks coincided with periods of declining fatalities from acute infections.
"I do expect that deaths associated with long COVID will make up an increasingly larger proportion of total deaths associated with COVID-19," said Mark Czeisler, PhD, a researcher at Harvard Medical School who has studied long COVID fatalities.

Months and even years after an acute infection, long COVID can contribute to serious and potentially life-threatening conditions that impact nearly every major system in the body, according to the CDC guidelines for identifying the condition on death certificates.

This means long COVID may often be listed as an underlying cause of death when people with this condition die of issues related to their heart, lungs, brain or kidneys, the CDC guidelines noted.

The risk for long COVID fatalities remains elevated for at least 6 months for people with milder acute infections and for at least 2 years in severe cases that require hospitalization, some previous research suggested.
(..)
"Long COVID remains massively under-diagnosed, and death in people with long COVID is misattributed to other things," Al-Aly said.
(..)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna131366

13 million thrown off Medicaid last year because gently caress you

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I appreciate the sentiment but dude... come on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH3_y9gipGw&t=112s

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

I appreciate the sentiment but dude... come on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH3_y9gipGw&t=112s

love mask

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:brainworms: Fans of fantasy rejoice, as the orcification of humanity continues unabated.
"SARS-CoV-2 Infection is Associated with an Increase in New Diagnoses of Schizophrenia Spectrum and Psychotic Disorder: A Study Using the US National COVID Cohort Collaborative (N3C)"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.12.05.23299473v1 posted:

Abstract
Amid the ongoing global repercussions of SARS-CoV-2, it’s crucial to comprehend its potential long-term psychiatric effects. Several recent studies have suggested a link between COVID-19 and subsequent mental health disorders. Our investigation joins this exploration, concentrating on Schizophrenia Spectrum and Psychotic Disorders (SSPD). Different from other studies, we took acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and COVID-19 lab negative cohorts as control groups to accurately gauge the impact of COVID-19 on SSPD. Data from 19,344,698 patients, sourced from the N3C Data Enclave platform, were methodically filtered to create propensity matched cohorts: ARDS (n = 222,337), COVID-positive (n = 219,264), and COVID-negative (n = 213,183). We systematically analyzed the hazard rate of new-onset SSPD across three distinct time intervals: 0-21 days, 22-90 days, and beyond 90 days post-infection. COVID-19 positive patients consistently exhibited a heightened hazard ratio (HR) across all intervals [0-21 days (HR: 4.6; CI: 3.7-5.7), 22-90 days (HR: 2.9; CI: 2.3 -3.8), beyond 90 days (HR: 1.7; CI: 1.5-1.)]. These are notably higher than both ARDS and COVID-19 lab-negative patients. Validations using various tests, including the Cochran Mantel Haenszel Test, Wald Test, and Log-rank Test confirmed these associations. Intriguingly, our data indicated that younger individuals face a heightened risk of SSPD after contracting COVID-19, a trend not observed in the ARDS and COVID-negative groups. These results, aligned with the known neurotropism of SARS-CoV-2 and earlier studies, accentuate the need for vigilant psychiatric assessment and support in the era of Long-COVID, especially among younger populations.

News article on the matter:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2410255-severe-covid-19-infections-linked-to-increased-risk-of-schizophrenia/ posted:

Severe covid-19 infections linked to increased risk of schizophrenia
People with severe covid-19 infections are more than 4 times as likely to later be diagnosed with schizophrenia than people who have not been infected, though the risk of developing the condition is relatively low
(..)
About three months after infection, people with covid-19 were still 70 per cent more likely to be diagnosed with a psychotic disorder than people who tested negative or who had ARDS.

“I think this is perfectly in line with what has been hypothesised”, which is that covid-19 heightens the risk of psychosis, says Sophie Erhardt at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, who was not involved in the research.

One idea for why this may be is that covid-19 increases inflammation in the brain, which in turn, leads to higher levels of a substance called kynurenic acid. Previous research has shown that people with schizophrenia and psychosis have elevated levels of kynurenic acid in their brains and spinal fluid, and Erhardt and her colleagues have seen similarly high levels in those with severe covid-19. She and others in the field hypothesise that kynurenic acid is a driver of psychosis.
(..)

Archived link: https://archive.vn/XhjnF

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
gradenko, your titers fought off the virus before it could get you. well done

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

quote:

Those include failing to enforce physical distancing, temperature checks, reporting symptoms, isolating workers and seeking medical attention.

no one does any of this lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Complications posted:

bro we have collectively decided to take not one peek into what microplastics and PFAS water pollution are doing to every brain in humanity

we're not going to have a goddamn clue what <insert severe superantigenic infection that attacks essentially every tissue in the body> does to children's bodies

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I had the day off yesterday as some self reflection time, since everyone else in the house was finally back at their poo poo.

I have an eye dr appt to get my vision checked out, but it's like 3 weeks away. I've also noticed, annoyingly but utterly unsurprisingly, that my tinnitus has been worse post COVID.

So, I figured gently caress it let's see what psilocybin does, and took a low dose (strong Golden Teachers, but only about 1-1.5g, in tea, empty stomach). Onset uncomfortable, then settled into it fine; there were periods where my tinnitus was totally absent and I had about 2 hours of more calm clarity than I've had in a month, so I'd say mission accomplished and we'll see where things go over the next few weeks. I doubt it's the cure for PASC but feeling the love of The Universal Source is pretty great whatever the context.

Corsis and new filter will be here this week but I very much have the "I'm in danger" sense again. We're supposed to maybe get snow in a week, I will probably get COVID again right as the mountains open up :allears:

Potato Salad posted:

bro we have collectively decided to take not one peek into what microplastics and PFAS water pollution are doing to every brain in humanity

we're not going to have a goddamn clue what <insert severe superantigenic infection that attacks essentially every tissue in the body> does to children's bodies

Eh, this seems super doomer to me and not that realistic. The powers controlling the media narrative are doing a very good job keeping the degree of horrors off page A1, but, actually, a lot of this poo poo is making it into mainstream press, and for everything that does, there's like 19 studies that barely make a blip on the radar.

The general public at large may choose to try to remain willfully ignorant of what is happening, but researchers are still gonna do the work and publish it. Searching pubmed for "neonatal covid" brings back more than 6000 results. A lot of it is looking at vaccine efficiency during pregnancy but some of it is very much already going down the road of "understanding what <severe super antigenoc infection> does to children's bodies"

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/04/18/1170087779/covid-pregnancy-fetus-brain-delays

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2802745

https://www.cell.com/trends/molecular-medicine/fulltext/S1471-4914(22)00045-4

Will the science lead the public discourse?

gently caress no, when has that ever happened in west media, or media generally?

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Jan 3, 2024

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
To paraphrase a wise man: if you don't research and diagnose, you don't have any cases.
"Long COVID is a double curse in low-income nations — here’s why"

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-04088-x posted:

Not only is the prevalence of the condition poorly understood, but it’s also often ignored by physicians and the wider public.
(..)

Source: J. V. A. Franco et al. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 19, 9915 (2022)
Evidence so far suggests that the prevalence of long COVID in LMICs could be similar to that of wealthier countries — although, in both settings, the numbers vary a lot. One review found that between 8% and 41% of people who had a SARS-CoV-2 infection but weren’t hospitalized had symptoms. But a dearth of research on the condition in less-wealthy countries creates a double curse. An absence of information about prevalence and risk factors leaves advocates hamstrung: few physicians acknowledge that long COVID exists. The lack of data also hampers efforts to search for the mechanisms of the condition and tailor treatments. “You need data for action,” says Waasila Jassat, a public-health specialist at Genesis Analytics, a consultancy firm in Johannesburg, South Africa. “You need evidence to advocate for services, and you cannot just use data from other countries.”
(..)
It is already difficult to find resources for research, and that’s compounded by the lack of centralized health data, says Jassat. In Brazil, for example, more than one-third of all workers are informally employed, meaning that there is no systematic way to track how many days of work people miss due to illness.

“People are quietly dropping out of society,” says Emma-Louise Aveling, a global public-health researcher at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston, Massachusetts, who has interviewed health-care workers and people with long COVID in Brazil for her research.

Scientists have been trying to pin down the number of people with the condition. Worried that the burgeoning COVID-19 pandemic could worsen or lead to new cases of chronic illnesses, cardiologist Nizal Sarrafzadegan at the Isfahan University of Medical Sciences in Iran launched a long-term study in March 2020. Her team found that 60% of individuals who were hospitalized with COVID-19 in Iran had symptoms a year after their infection.

In South Africa, Jassat and her colleagues followed 3,700 people for 6 months in a study of COVID-19 outcomes and found that 39% still had at least one symptom 6 months after their initial infection. People who were hospitalized owing to COVID-19 were more likely to be affected than those who were not: 46.7% versus 18.5%.

In a 2020 study, geriatricians Murilo Dias and Márlon Aliberti at the University of São Paulo, Brazil, and their colleagues found that one in three people admitted for COVID-19 to a hospital in São Paulo still had at least one symptom a year after they were discharged. “That’s a huge problem for the health system,” says Aliberti.

Even so, that problem does not include cases of long COVID that arise after mild SARS-CoV-2 infection. Soares says that most long-COVID studies in Brazil do not address this gap, and it can be particularly hard to do so when few physicians are aware of the condition, how to diagnose it or who might be at particular risk.
(..)
Tailoring treatment
In the United States and Europe, large-scale efforts have begun the search for long-COVID treatments. The US National Institutes of Health is running the US$1.15-billion Researching COVID to Enhance Recovery (RECOVER) programme, some of which is directed at finding long-COVID therapies. In the United Kingdom, a consortium of 30 hospitals and universities is also looking for treatments under the STIMULATE-ICP programme.

But whether any resulting treatments could transfer to lower-income settings is an open question, says infectious-disease specialist Luis Felipe Reyes at the University of La Sabana in Bogotá. He predicts a re-run of the inequalities that plagued the distribution of COVID-19 vaccines. Wealthier countries hoarded doses and some types, such as the mRNA vaccines, were particularly difficult for many lower-income countries to use because they were expensive to produce and difficult to transport at the low temperatures they require.

“The rich countries are finding the treatments for these problems, but those solutions might not be transferable,” Reyes says.
(..)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Pingui posted:

To paraphrase a wise man: if you don't research and diagnose, you don't have any cases.
"Long COVID is a double curse in low-income nations — here’s why"

We are doing both of those things. As long as this thread is, it is drops in the ocean compared to the COVID research that's been published over the same time frame.

I think we should be very upset with our leaders and media for deliberately loving the pooch on good information optics, but suggesting that the work isn't being done seems to be a rather extreme statement which is contradicted by hundreds or thousands of published studies. The problems highlighted in what you've posted here definitely help suppress case counts, and the disproportionate impact on lower classes is not unique to COVID, but the initial claim here (not yours) was that we're not going to have any data on what COVID infections do to developing fetuses. We already have a bunch of such data, at a glance it appears to be Bad Things.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Jan 3, 2024

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

(..)
the initial claim here (not yours) was that we're not going to have any data on what COVID infections do to developing fetuses. We already have a bunch of such data, at a glance it appears to be Bad Things.

This is not a part of that conversation; just me doing a news reel. In this case covering the hardship of poor countries and their population in dealing with long COVID. I can't count how many times I've seen the claim that "if long COVID is real, then why is it only in rich countries? :smug:", with the natural answer being that there is almost literally zero research being conducted on the prevalence of long COVID in those countries.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 15:11 on Jan 3, 2024

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

https://vxtwitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1742432526931722383

lets loving goooo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Eh, this seems super doomer to me and not that realistic. The powers controlling the media narrative are doing a very good job keeping the degree of horrors off page A1, but, actually, a lot of this poo poo is making it into mainstream press, and for everything that does, there's like 19 studies that barely make a blip on the radar.

The general public at large may choose to try to remain willfully ignorant of what is happening, but researchers are still gonna do the work and publish it. Searching pubmed for "neonatal covid" brings back more than 6000 results. A lot of it is looking at vaccine efficiency during pregnancy but some of it is very much already going down the road of "understanding what <severe super antigenoc infection> does to children's bodies"

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/04/18/1170087779/covid-pregnancy-fetus-brain-delays

https://www.cell.com/trends/molecular-medicine/fulltext/S1471-4914(22)00045-4

Will the science lead the public discourse?

gently caress no, when has that ever happened in west media, or media generally?

that's kinda more of what I meant -- we're not going to actually collectively look at any of it and thus refuse to take any action whatsoever, because Even Tiny Changes Are Literally COMMUNISM!😱

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Kind of crack-pinging again today that not only are we in what looks to be a bigger wave than the first Omicron wave, public health is doing nothing and there is also NO loving NEWS ABOUT IT in the mainstream media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
love to dial in to a meeting and half of the people are out sick and the other half sound like they're dying

[thank you for all the responses and words of encouragement to my earlier post]