Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I also "farmed" Ethel for water bottles for Tempest cleric/sorceror shenanigans.

vendor inventories reset on a character level-up or a long rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Not my experience for sure, that's where my honor mode run ended, and I thought Grief was a piece of cake. How'd you beat House of Hope?

It's tough, but what works for me is just keeping Raphael stunned so that he never gets to take actions. He's relatively* vulnerable to wisdom saving throws.

He's also a pretty immobile spellcaster, so a one two combo of silence and difficult terrain/sentinel could neutralize him.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 3, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
My biggest takeaway from honor mode so far is holy poo poo sword bards are insane, especially multiclassed with fighter. Sure, I'll make 9 attacks on the first round of combat, without any buffs, that sounds fair. Or maybe I'll go easy and just make 8 attacks, with a poison applied to my weapon. Oh and all those attacks get a ton of bonus damage from flourish + sharpshooter, and if you use the hand crossbow that does force damage all that extra damage is force damage too, so almost nothing resists it. Did I mention both hands are free for melee gear that gives good bonuses, like the knife that makes it easier to crit?

Insane that all the melee aoes have microscopic range and big drawbacks (sweeping attack costs a superiority dice and does 1d8. Not your weapon damage + 1d8 like all the other battle master skills, just a flat 1d8) and then the ranged version of slashing flourish just doubles your attacks with no downside.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

I always leave Ethel for last so I can keep buying potions of giant strength off her every day. Can pretty easily get enough for the entire rest of the game.

I probably should take more advantage of that than I do. Those potions are super nice always but especially early on.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Maybe a dumb question, but if I dip into a few levels of Fighter as a throwbarb, does the Archery fighting style apply to thrown weapons or only specifically to bows and crossbows? The wiki actually isn't clear on that.

For that matter, does Great Weapon Fighting apply to throwing melee weapons or only if you are actually taking a swing with one?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Neither GWM nor Archery will work with thrown weapons.

Duelling *might*, with certain thrown weapons.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Defence it is then, I guess!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ChocNitty posted:

This game is hard af. I'm on the quest where you need to kill the 3 goblin leaders. On youtube, all the videos on how to beat them are using cheese methods. Breaking bridges when they walk over them. Kicking them into a pit. None of them show how to legitimately beat them in a standard fight. Other players mention the great loot you miss out when you use those methods. The problem is I don't have the necessary things to even cheese them. Don't have multiple invisibility potions. Don't have illusion spells. And i'm not sure if I am at the appropriate level (I just reached 4). And I don't know if I just need to gain some levels, or if I should be using different characters. Or if it needs characters I didn't choose for my game. If I try to fight them normally, there's like 7 enemies I have no chance of taking them all down. Tried my best to separate them. Breaking war drums. But not having much like with that either.

And a lot of the best ways to go about things requires choosing a specific succession of dialogue choices, so i'm constantly reloading saves and choosing different dialogue choices to see if I can get a better outcome. So the pacing of the game for me is extremely slow. Spending hours or all day just on one quest. 25 hours in and i'm still around the starting area. I appreciate the freedom to go about things in so many different ways. But i'm thinking of trying the easiest mode.

You can just come back when you’re a higher level - at 5 it should be a total steamroll. Even at 4 though, you really should be able to deal with them in a straight up fight fairly easily if you have a well equipped and built party (especially at normal difficulty) so maybe give us an idea of what your party composition is, how you’ve built them, what you’re doing in combat etc and we can give you advice?

There’s a fairly considerable learning curve in Baldur’s gate between learning the basic mechanics and mastering the systems/tactics; especially if you aren’t coming into the game with other d&d experience.

FYI it’s totally normal to spend 50 or more hours just in act 1.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

When people refer to act 1, act 2, etc., are these marked by title cards in the game or is just something fans referred to during development?

right now I just killed nere and freed the gnomes and now i'm trying to take the haunted elevator up on the way to moonrise towers - is that act 1 or act 2?

Act 1 is the starting map, plus the underdark and grymforge. Once you go up the elevator, that’s the act 2 area.

Act 2 is the mountain pass and the shadow cursed lands.

Act 3 is Rivington and Baldur’s Gate.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

House of Hope at 12 on HM was easier than Grief at 11 or Ansur at 10 imo. Didn't save Hope though for the first time, she pretty much got one shotted by Raph on the second turn. Which allowed me to find out she has the only +4 shield in the game, third time through and still seeing new stuff. Vic's fortress is probably better for SH though and I don't currently have anyone else using a shield.

It’s super useful in that fight to have someone with one of the various abilities in the game that forces an enemy to spend their action attacking you.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

You can just come back when you’re a higher level - at 5 it should be a total steamroll. Even at 4 though, you really should be able to deal with them in a straight up fight fairly easily if you have a well equipped and built party (especially at normal difficulty) so maybe give us an idea of what your party composition is, how you’ve built them, what you’re doing in combat etc and we can give you advice?

There’s a fairly considerable learning curve in Baldur’s gate between learning the basic mechanics and mastering the systems/tactics; especially if you aren’t coming into the game with other d&d experience.

FYI it’s totally normal to spend 50 or more hours just in act 1.

Act 1 is the starting map, plus the underdark and grymforge. Once you go up the elevator, that’s the act 2 area.

Act 2 is the mountain pass and the shadow cursed lands.

Act 3 is Rivington and Baldur’s Gate.

Act 1 is the starting wilderness + underdark/grymforge + mountain pass. It's structured oddly because all of that was in the EA except for mountain pass.

It doesn't really matter though, you would only know which Act you're technically in by the achievements popping up, afaik. It's only actually relevant because you can't return to Act 1/2 areas after you're in Act 3. The game is so loving huge it's much more helpful to refer to zones or sub-zones than a vague Act imo, but that also risks some spoilers.

Act 2 starts when you enter the Shadow-Cursed Lands. Act 3 starts when you enter Rivington (outskirts of Baldur's Gate city).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
completely different topic, has anyone found any interesting/unique stuff in the Survival check dirt piles? afaik it's just strictly mid-value random gold, scrolls, potions, alchemy materials etc

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Act 1 is the starting wilderness + underdark/grymforge + mountain pass. It's structured oddly because all of that was in the EA except for mountain pass.

It doesn't really matter though, you would only know which Act you're technically in by the achievements popping up, afaik. It's only actually relevant because you can't return to Act 1/2 areas after you're in Act 3. The game is so loving huge it's much more helpful to refer to zones or sub-zones than a vague Act imo, but that also risks some spoilers.

Act 2 starts when you enter the Shadow-Cursed Lands. Act 3 starts when you enter Rivington (outskirts of Baldur's Gate city).

It makes more sense to include the mountain pass in act 2 (since travelling between there and the main act 1 area counts as ‘moving to a different part of the world’ and that doesn’t happen with the underdark. Going to the underdark also doesn’t trigger the act 1 plot advancement and going to the mountain pass does.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

completely different topic, has anyone found any interesting/unique stuff in the Survival check dirt piles? afaik it's just strictly mid-value random gold, scrolls, potions, alchemy materials etc

As far as I know that’s all it ever is.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Not my experience for sure, that's where my honor mode run ended, and I thought Grief was a piece of cake. How'd you beat House of Hope?

I don’t know if I just got lucky or what but i didn’t really do anything special. I won the roll on Yurgir so that helped. Raphael taking a turn to kill hope probably helped me I guess. Just a lot of DPS. Karlach keeping him prone every turn and hasted Laez and Tav with some level 4 and 5 smite crits doing 85 points a hit.

The thing that seemed weird was his legendary didn’t seem to go off much or at all or if it did it wasn’t that devastating. Tav did get downed but got him right back up with Karlach chucking a supreme heal potion at him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pellisworth posted:

Sometimes you’ll get some nice materials for elixirs or an early scroll of Fireball that you can use to easily win a fight or scribe to your Wizard. I don’t think you’ll ever get a unique from them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Act 3 is causing crashes every couple hours of play that that's really demotivating me to continue. And despite probably almost 5 hours alone in it, I still haven't done any character quests.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Saraiguma posted:

is there a more convenient way to get into the caged safes on the right than a potion of mist form?

I just Misty Stepped or Dimension Doored from cell to cell. Had plenty of spell slots to burn on my bard.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Lord Bude posted:

It makes more sense to include the mountain pass in act 2 (since travelling between there and the main act 1 area counts as ‘moving to a different part of the world’ and that doesn’t happen with the underdark. Going to the underdark also doesn’t trigger the act 1 plot advancement and going to the mountain pass does.

It makes more sense but not according to Larian, since the cheevo for finishing act one doesn't pop until you move on from there. It's kind of wild to me that the area is even optional with the stuff that happens there.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I always leave Ethel for last so I can keep buying potions of giant strength off her every day. Can pretty easily get enough for the entire rest of the game.

Thank you, never even though of that. Just started a tavern brawler barbarian honor mode run the other day and that sounds extremely useful.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

exquisite tea posted:

Right now I've got Shadowheart just walking all over the place with Guardian Spirits + Phalar Aluve, marking targets for my Wizard to obliterate with Magic Missile. I think it's the most fun combo I've played yet.

yeah prob should have put phalar aluve on her lol

then take 1 level in wizard and slot in magic missle: she can do the oblieration herself

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I would never skip Mountain Pass because you miss like half of Lae’zel’s character development there, in addition to all the good loot and the little ball of sunshine that is the githyanki crèche.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

I would never skip Mountain Pass because you miss like half of Lae’zel’s character development there, in addition to all the good loot and the little ball of sunshine that is the githyanki crèche.

It's really wild to me that it's optional. You get a lot of insight into the dream visitor and the nature of pointy orb there too.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Qubee posted:

So yeah, this is my party experience. Astarion and Karlach singlehandedly win all the fights, Gale and my Ranger act as decoys and trophy members of the gang. I don't know if it's because I'm doing something wrong or what. They've both got good gear on :shrug:

What spells are you using with Gale and what bow is your ranger using?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

It makes more sense but not according to Larian, since the cheevo for finishing act one doesn't pop until you move on from there. It's kind of wild to me that the area is even optional with the stuff that happens there.

It's probably just the order Larian developed some of the stuff. All of Act 1 was available in EA except for the mountain pass. I know for sure Larian originally intended to have a world map with icons where you could transition between zones, and iirc they had more wilderness type zones on the map they teased.

I'm trying to remember if Halsin mentioned a "mountain pass" in early EA. My guess is Larian finished Grymforge first and then later on stuck the Mountain Pass between the EA and Act 2

edit:

The weird setup of Act 1 and Mountain Pass is probably just related to how they went from their original plan of an overworld map to how they ended up chunking things without a map.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 3, 2024

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The funniest thing about the world map to me is if you look at the actual Faerun world map and where the game says you are (You're travelling along the River Chionthar between Elteruel and Baldur's Gate) that exactly 0% of the geography/topography makes a loving lick of sense.

It's fine because that's a very nerdy thing to get stressed about but it's so funny to me that there's a mountain pass or a loving shadow-cursed land wedged in there. Like. Hey Halsin where the gently caress are we, dude? Did you get lost?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

DeadlyMuffin posted:

hope makes the fight the fight easy because she is effectively a 5th party member, the amount of healing she does is nuts and she has a get-out-of-jail free card with her divine intervnetion

other than that Raphael is vulnerable to CC like hypnotic pattern so use it to steal away his action economy, you do need enough DPS to burst through the other demons tho, any of monk/fighter/rogue should do it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

House of Hope is also one of the rare encounters where you can do as much setup as you need before the fight begins. If you wanna throw 15 smokepowder barrels on the ground before the master arrives, nobody will judge you.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

It's probably just the order Larian developed some of the stuff. All of Act 1 was available in EA except for the mountain pass. I know for sure Larian originally intended to have a world map with icons where you could transition between zones, and iirc they had more wilderness type zones on the map they teased.

I'm trying to remember if Halsin mentioned a "mountain pass" in early EA. My guess is Larian finished Grymforge first and then later on stuck the Mountain Pass between the EA and Act 2

edit:

The weird setup of Act 1 and Mountain Pass is probably just related to how they went from their original plan of an overworld map to how they ended up chunking things without a map.

It's a bummer they canned that, I always thought it was a treat to open up a D&D/Forgotten Realms novel and seeing a nicely drawn world map.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just started my Tactician run today and I feel like I'm really struggling. I just hit level 4, and haven't done anything since then, so IDK if that will make a difference. I've got a Githyanki Warlock that just took a Barbarian level at 4, the eventual goal is to combine the Barbarian extra attack with the level 5 Blade Warlock extra attack and then maybe a bloodlust elixir and haste to just do a ton of attacks. I feel like one of my mistakes was not realizing that Cleave is once per short rest, but also that's a late game combination and (at least at level 3) a 70%-ish chance most of the time to hit for 6-13 just isn't enough with how beefy enemies can be. Then I've got a lore college bard for debuffs and crowd control but the chance to hit is really kind of low. Then I've got a wildshape druid that just got TB for better chance to hit and possibly damage, unclear what the current state is there. Finally I've got Astarion as a standard Thief Rogue and he's good damage for the most part but very fragile and low AC. I just feel like I'm struggling to outdamage the enemies, and I haven't even gone into the Goblin temple clusterfuck yet. Are those just all late-game builds that I need to switch out for something better at low levels? Are there specific equipment I should be using? I'm chugging healing potions with my bonus actions like there's no tomorrow right now.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just started my Tactician run today and I feel like I'm really struggling. I just hit level 4, and haven't done anything since then, so IDK if that will make a difference. I've got a Githyanki Warlock that just took a Barbarian level at 4, the eventual goal is to combine the Barbarian extra attack with the level 5 Blade Warlock extra attack and then maybe a bloodlust elixir and haste to just do a ton of attacks. I feel like one of my mistakes was not realizing that Cleave is once per short rest, but also that's a late game combination and (at least at level 3) a 70%-ish chance most of the time to hit for 6-13 just isn't enough with how beefy enemies can be. Then I've got a lore college bard for debuffs and crowd control but the chance to hit is really kind of low. Then I've got a wildshape druid that just got TB for better chance to hit and possibly damage, unclear what the current state is there. Finally I've got Astarion as a standard Thief Rogue and he's good damage for the most part but very fragile and low AC. I just feel like I'm struggling to outdamage the enemies, and I haven't even gone into the Goblin temple clusterfuck yet. Are those just all late-game builds that I need to switch out for something better at low levels? Are there specific equipment I should be using? I'm chugging healing potions with my bonus actions like there's no tomorrow right now.

Warlock/Barbarian doesn't really seem too synergistic to me. Even putting aside the usual caveats that Rage is a demanding mistress who hates all forms of spellcasting, the appeal of Blade Warlock is finding a way to go mono-stat with both weapon and spells, usually Charisma since that's Warlock's whole thing. You're introducing a Charisma dependency on a class that couldn't want it less, which seems like a big blunder. If you want a beefy melee warlock Paladin multi is right there and gets you most of the things you'd get out of Barbarian anyway, plus smites.

Lore College Bard should be hitting just fine with saves, but you might need to be trying to diversify - figure out what stats your enemies have good saves in vs bad and exploit that. One size will not fit all here, it's good to keep a couple spells on hand that target different saves. Do you have 18 CHA?

TB Wildshape Druid should still work. I haven't heard anyone complaining they fixed that.

As a Rogue Astarion's AC is going to be tied to his dexterity and it's not gonna to get past 17-18 unless you make an effort to put him in good gear. If you aren't doing dual-wield with him and you're having trouble with his AC i would actually consider giving him Defensive Duelist as it lets him basically have a lesser Shield (the spell) on tap. If you are going dual-wield then you probably want Dual Wielder since that will get him an extra point of AC. As I stated elsewhere, Astarion's damage should be fine as long as you are constantly making sure he's attacking someone he can get off Sneak Attack on, which you have a melee Warlock and a wildshape druid so that shouldn't be a problem.

What fights are you getting rocked by? If it's the Paladins of Tyr or the Gnolls or even the Mud Mephits those are all three really hard fights, and the Githyanki Patrol is basically impossible pre-5.

e: Also, what is "low hit chance" in this case? 5e's math is basically built around assuming you will hit ~60-70% of the time without Advantage, so if that's where you're at you're actually on-curve.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 3, 2024

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Every class gets a HUGE powerspike at level 5 so you are almost there

like before lvl 5 there's fights you just can't take (like Anders) but once you are 5 you are golden

Typo fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 3, 2024

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Also just reloaded the house of grief fight at lvl10

stood on top of the stairway, wyll casted hunger of haradar thingy and light cleric shadowhart casted wall of fire within the hunger AoE

the entire shar crew proceeded to dash into the wall of fire and unable to get past it, proceeded to burn themselves to death. Wyll Elderich blasted anyone who made it out back in. I barely had to use healing it was glorious.

Typo fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 3, 2024

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I don’t know if I just got lucky or what but i didn’t really do anything special. I won the roll on Yurgir so that helped. Raphael taking a turn to kill hope probably helped me I guess. Just a lot of DPS. Karlach keeping him prone every turn and hasted Laez and Tav with some level 4 and 5 smite crits doing 85 points a hit.

The thing that seemed weird was his legendary didn’t seem to go off much or at all or if it did it wasn’t that devastating. Tav did get downed but got him right back up with Karlach chucking a supreme heal potion at him.

Interesting. I tried that but he did his charm thing on Karlach every time she attacked so I couldn't keep him down

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Got tired of those duergar on the boat fight who always push me into the water so in this current hm run i just had all 4 of my party pop colossus elixirs.

The duergar didnt even try to push me. they knew the futility of pushing my giantess party

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just tell them I've got the boots

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean none of those things are particularly optimised builds that sweaty players would be using on tactician. Straight up Lore bards and thief rogues and druids are fine, but not outstanding; and warlock barbarian in particular is not a thing, because those classes are at cross purposes - you can’t cast spells when you rage.

Paladin would be what you combine with a warlock (5 paladin/7 warlock) because then you actually get something useful from those extra attacks (smites) - a vanilla extra attack on its own isn’t worth that much; and you can still cast spells as needed.

Lore bards are fine (make sure you’re maxing out charisma to have the highest possible hit chance) but debuffs and crowd control aren’t particularly useful past the early game. You can use your magical secrets eventually to take good damage spells from other classes but you’ll still be behind a wizard or a sorcerer, since they’ll get those spells earlier. The main upside of lore bard is versatility and being able to cherry pick spells from different classes in one.

Your thief rogue would benefit a fair bit from going 5-6 fighter/6-7 rogue; but at the earlier levels he will be a glass cannon - you need to make use of stealth to get sneak attacks off. You could make him a swords bard instead which would be less vulnerable, and also gives you the option of taking levels of paladin and fighter later for even more damage. Bard 8/Paladin 2/fighter 2 is an extremely powerful build for eg that doesn’t feel weak early on.

Also early on having a cleric really helps - there are items that give characters you heal blade ward.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

rojay posted:

What spells are you using with Gale and what bow is your ranger using?

I got rid of Gale lol, utter useless companion. I've replaced him with SH to just pump Zarlach full of HP instead of us needing to waste potions. The spells I had on Gale were:

Level 1 - Witch Bolt, Thunderwave
Level 2 - Web, Enlarge, Shatter, Cloud of Daggers
Level 3 - Fear, Slow

Cantrips are Firebolt, Mage Hands, Ray of Frost and True Strike

My Ranger is using a blue bow by the name of Bow of the Banshee. It does 8-13 damage with +2 acid damage. It also potentially causes Frightened on hit. I've not been able to find anything that hits harder, either during looting or at stores.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
This mf said Zarlach

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

This mf said Zarlach

I can't stop laughing. I was going to type Zarlach yesterday too but corrected myself. It's still early morning and I haven't had the chance to wake up yet, so she's Zarlach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

I got rid of Gale lol, utter useless companion. I've replaced him with SH to just pump Zarlach full of HP instead of us needing to waste potions. The spells I had on Gale were:

Level 1 - Witch Bolt, Thunderwave
Level 2 - Web, Enlarge, Shatter, Cloud of Daggers
Level 3 - Fear, Slow

Cantrips are Firebolt, Mage Hands, Ray of Frost and True Strike

My Ranger is using a blue bow by the name of Bow of the Banshee. It does 8-13 damage with +2 acid damage. It also potentially causes Frightened on hit. I've not been able to find anything that hits harder, either during looting or at stores.

A wizard or sorcerer will be one of if not the highest damage dealing party members from level 5 onwards.