Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pity Poor Owlfancier. Imagining missing out on two decades of identikit Capeshit. His life is a cultural desert!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mega Comrade posted:

Season 1 of TNG is notoriously poor. There are like 2 episodes worth your time.

What happened between season 1 and 2 I have no idea.

S1 of DS9 is also notorious though, it just turns out that one's notorious for having some silly hopscotch scenes and the other's notorious for having Picard visit the planet of the superpredators.

e: Zack Snyder ofc hasn't directed a superhero film since 2017.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Pity Poor Owlfancier. Imagining missing out on two decades of identikit Capeshit. His life is a cultural desert!

I also get to look at jason momoa and think "oh it's the guy from andromeda"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

IIRC, he wanted to do BSG because he wasn't allowed to do the survival thing in voyager.
A big part of that was that the network didn't want the damage to be persistent because they would've had to keep refilming the panning shots of the ship all the time.

They don't really do that for the most part in BSG either though, except at the beginning and end.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

OwlFancier posted:

I also get to look at jason momoa and think "oh it's the guy from andromeda"

Err, he's not the guy from Andromeda, he's from Stargate Atlantis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Creamfilled posted:

Oh yeah you're right, guess that shows how long it's been since I saw andromeda.

I think I've just mentally replaced the other guy with the long hair. But yeah they don't really look much alike.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

lmao season 1 Troi can barely even speak, she just does empathic moans

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Roger Moore as James Bond 007 in Ian Fleming's

OwlFancier posted:

Smoothriker

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is unexpected. It looks like Keith's going to stab Corbyn in the back

Starmer to distance himself from Corbyn in major speech

quote:

Sir Keir Starmer will on Thursday distance himself further from Jeremy Corbyn, vowing that his premiership would not be “vanity dressed up as virtue”.

In a thinly-veiled attack on both his predecessor and social media warriors, the Labour leader will say that politics is not a “sermon from on high” or a “self-regarding lecture” but is about how to make “a practical difference” to people’s lives.

I'm shocked. I never saw any of this coming.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Creamfilled posted:

I now choose to believe that SGA and Aquaman take place in the same universe

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

People always like to vote for the serious practical dull guy.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I think someone else posted about it but The Foundation is excellent if you like your hard sci-fi. Season 1 is a bit of a lore dump though.

The concept is so interesting though, nothing else like it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I love that zack snyder's fans are so reasonable and not insane that one mention of his poo poo miserable starwars reject movie (that has reviewed terribly) results in them threatening to poo poo up the thread for ten pages then saying some wild poo poo about his detractors weaponizing his daughters's suicide lol

Zach snyner is apolitical and he's jusrt trying to make a fountainhead movie because hes an artist guys, also if you dislike his superman movie you're wrong because superman kills a facist at the end. Not going to think about how the followup uncritically makes batman into a violent murderer who brands his victims and suffers zero consequences something something billionaires watch the extended version.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

Gene Roddenberry got pushed out.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

fuctifino posted:

The vanity fully costed manifesto of policies that will improve lives
vs
The sensible there is no money nothing will improve

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mega Comrade posted:

I think someone else posted about it but The Foundation is excellent if you like your hard sci-fi. Season 1 is a bit of a lore dump though.

The concept is so interesting though, nothing else like it.

I actually wouldn't call it hard sci-fi at all, but I'm down for all of the nude Lee Pace fighting and Jared Harris smuggery

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Snyder Superman is utter dog poo poo. The only superhero film I’ve seen that’s bored me more was that godawful Pattinson Batman film that came out last year, made worse by every pretentious nerd pretending to love it. God I loving HATED that movie because it was so boring. Badly written, up its own arse shite.

Now Snyder Watchmen, that was good fun. Totally sacrilegious to the graphic novel but I didn’t really care, it was a ton of fun and had some High Quality Violence and Banging Tunes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

"I will not place vanity over virtue" says man who has made everything about himself and how forensic he is.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I thought Pattinson Batman was alright but seeing it basically remake Batman Begins for a new generation did make me feel a thousand years old.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have not seen a single Marvel movie and I refuse to watch any. The closest I've come is watching Jessica Jones the TV show.

Also the Some More News super episode pointing how hosed up it must be to live in the Marvel cinematic universe where poo poo keeps blowing up and millions of people keep getting murdered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tt1HkiTcZ0

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

lol it's still sci-fi chat

I was hoping someone else would defend UK teevee and name-drop Space: 1999 when it came to trek shows, but here I am, a stranger in a strange thread :smith:

Although I might just have a soft spot for it since it was one of the first sci-fi shows I saw. The black hole episode is great, at least.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My favourite sci-fi show is Spaced.

Click Post.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

trifle is the best cultural dessert

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

I don't think it's bad, I just think it's wild. Cultural osmosis is kind of hard to avoid

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Failed Imagineer posted:

You can choose to view FAM as an Expanse prequel for some intertextual fun if you want

I like to view it this way. Wonder if they’d still end up going with Epstein drives though

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Rappaport posted:

I was hoping someone else would defend UK teevee and name-drop Space: 1999 when it came to trek shows, but here I am, a stranger in a strange thread :smith:

Although I might just have a soft spot for it since it was one of the first sci-fi shows I saw. The black hole episode is great, at least.

I'll recommend its spiritual predecessor UFO for some UK sci fi. For those that haven't seen it imagine a 60's vision of far-in-the-future 80s tech and fashion (ie hilariously wrong) with the models and effects of thunderbirds combined with bizarre plotlines from something like Sapphire and Steel.

Also if you've played (original) XCom you'll recognise a lot of thematic similarities.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope the thematic similarities are the haircuts.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lemurtron posted:

I'll recommend its spiritual predecessor UFO for some UK sci fi. For those that haven't seen it imagine a 60's vision of far-in-the-future 80s tech and fashion (ie hilariously wrong) with the models and effects of thunderbirds combined with bizarre plotlines from something like Sapphire and Steel.

Also if you've played (original) XCom you'll recognise a lot of thematic similarities.

Seconding UFO, had an Interceptor when i was a kid. :)

Space 1999 was cool to.

The we had Sapphire & Steel. :cool:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Flux Wildly posted:

I like to view it this way. Wonder if they’d still end up going with Epstein drives though

This does make me wonder if Epstein Island still exists in the FAM alterverse

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Thread nothing if not consistent, topic under discussion doesn't matter, views will be uninformed, wrongheaded and utterly miserable.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Red Dwarf is the only good space opera.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

That Blue Lady from The Fifth Element is the only good space opera.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

I hope the thematic similarities are the haircuts.

I would say yes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Flux Wildly posted:

As someone who loves the Legend of Heroes metaseries, it is extremely annoying that Professor Epstein is a God-like figurehead who revolutionised science and technology and whose orbal system is used by everyone everywhere. And yes they picked the name before Epstein became synonymous with nonce. Synonceymous.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

Just wait for the Snyder Cut.

lol that Netflix is actually, literally doing this with a whole-rear end original movie series as a marketing gimmick.

For anyone unfamiliar, the Rebel Moon you can watch right now is the cut-down, chopped-up PG-13 version, and the 'real' R-rated version will be released sometime in 2024.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I think I've figured out zach snyder in that clearly his films are all filled with a deep subliminal message that demands you never stop making bad posts about zach snyder. this still goes through whether you love or hate the movie resulting in a never ending tsunami of tedious arguments in both directions on all corners of the internet. i watched watchmen like fifteen years ago but i think i merely got mind controlled into bad posting

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

It's pretty loving funny that after almost 4 years of him being Labour leader, he's had so little impact on public awareness that some members of the public still haven't cottoned on to him being the most politically vacant man in the UK.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Had a proper lol at this, thank you, the image is unhinged and I love it

Sometimes shows need time to find their footing, and TNG is such a perfect example of this that successfully doing so is called growing the beard

Counterpart is supposed to be some great scifi

Best recent scifi is definitely Gundam The Witch From Mercury though

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I thought 300 was hilarious when I first saw it.

I didn't realise for a while that that was completely by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Had a proper lol at this, thank you, the image is unhinged and I love it

Sometimes shows need time to find their footing, and TNG is such a perfect example of this that successfully doing so is called growing the beard

Counterpart is supposed to be some great scifi

Best recent scifi is definitely Gundam The Witch From Mercury though

Depends how you define 'recent' (the manga it's adapted from is twenty years old, and that itself was a reinterpretation of a story arc from the 1950s-60s), but Pluto is pretty good.