Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Dratini was the most annoying by far because water outbreaks are truly the dog’s dinner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I've found way more shinies than I did before. I was trying for shiny Dratini to top off the trio and a golden Wigglet jumpcares me.

Starting to think the Sandwiches are not worth it for outbreaks, specially now that you can buy at Blueberry a Shiny All Lv 1 that's like, 6/4086 instead of 8/4086 of the Lv 3 Sandwich.

Sandwiches are only good if you want a particular type and there's no outbreak for it, but otherwise yeah, just buy the blueberry meal and fly off to wherever.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
If you’re hunting for marked shinies just make a sparkling/title/humungo or teensy 3 tho herbas are easy to get

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
humongo shiny sandwich hunting is the best as it helps make it easier to visually see the shinies and having big friends rule (I miss you alpha pokemon why did they shrink them in this game) :argh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I've found way more shinies than I did before. I was trying for shiny Dratini to top off the trio and a golden Wigglet jumpcares me.

Starting to think the Sandwiches are not worth it for outbreaks, specially now that you can buy at Blueberry a Shiny All Lv 1 that's like, 6/4086 instead of 8/4086 of the Lv 3 Sandwich.

At 60+ Pokemon defeated/captured in an Outbreak the shiny chance is 1/819 with Shiny charm, with Shiny power level 1 it's 1/683, and with Shiny power level 3 it's 1/512. So a level 3 shiny sandwich is definitely a time saver but not strictly necessary if you're low on Herba mystica/BP. Note for Outbreaks since you don't need Encounter power you can pair it with Humungo/Tiny power instead and Humungo can help with the shiny hunt itself for smaller Pokemon

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The universe probably felt bad about me losing that shiny Mareep yesterday since it decided to give me a shiny Hoppip today.

I have way too many of these things, maybe I should evolve one of them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Started watching Pokémon Concierge but had to turn it off because the dialogue is just awful. It feels like I'm watching a Nintendo Direct.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Did you try it in Japanese with subtitles? Or were you watching the dub?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How is the English dub for that matter? I watched via the former option my first time through (also the Japanese version has Ai Fairouz)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 3, 2024

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

English dub was good to me. Im sorry

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, most of the dubs for the various shorts have been pretty good in my opinion (I think it’s because they’re usually handled by a different studio than the main anime, though I’ve heard good things about the Horizons dub as well)

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Nanigans posted:

I got back from Japan a few weeks ago. I visited every Pokémon Center in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo (though there’s a few more in other cities.)

Thank you for taking the effort to post all of this.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

After buying all of Atticus' auctions (worth it for the emote) I decided to go and finally buy every clothing piece in Paldea so I can fashion out now that we have actual good main clothes thanks to the DLC.

And. Um. I might need to print more items. jesus every shop has 40+ articles and I'm still halfway through Levincia and missing Cascarrafa and Kitakami.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, Nanigans, I didn’t say before but I loved your post!!

And GRFS be careful, apparently if you buy all the clothes it takes like full minutes to load your outfits menu lol. you’re probably better off just using the different stores like a showroom and only picking up exactly what you want

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

And GRFS be careful, apparently if you buy all the clothes it takes like full minutes to load your outfits menu lol. you’re probably better off just using the different stores like a showroom and only picking up exactly what you want

too late i thrashed through Mesagoza like my sister on sales days

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

The Sean posted:

Thank you for taking the effort to post all of this.

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

Thanks! It was fun checking them all out. Though now I just realized I didn’t take any pictures of the mascot Snorlax statue at the last Tokyo center. :doh: They also had a cool visual timeline of the mainline games with shots of the cutscenes and stuff.

Not a great popsocket, but I did turn it into a great fridge magnet! 🧲 🌶️

The Pikachu Sweets shop was fun and the drinks were surprisingly yummy. Some real mango in my wife’s smoothie.

Other than Christmas stuff, a lot of the current merch was themed around Maushold and the Paldean trainers.

So of course I had to buy some merch of the best trainer in the series.

More of the cool murals and statues at the Mega Pokémon Center

This wasn’t at a Pokémon Center, but I did find and buy an original Japanese copy of Red Version as a souvenir.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Would you ever eat something a pichu cooked?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Depends. If they were on The Great Galar Bake Off Junior maybe.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

No but I would fool them into thinking I ate it

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Dope poo poo

These rule, thank you for posting!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

If Pikachus can be detectives then who’s to say they can’t be chefs?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yeah I keep an eye (in a sort of half-assed way) on what new merch serieseses the JP Pokémon Centers are doing so I knew about the Maushold stuff but the Paldean trainer stuff must be even newer because I missed that!

Jay Rust posted:

my understanding is this is what Café Remix is about.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
My 5yo discovered Pokemon megablocks (legos) last year and asked for/received a bunch for Christmas from the relatives. We arranged them into a little display earlier today and it made me realize how lucky I was to not discover pokemon merch before, because I am already wanting to buy Everything. I want 1,025 little plastic figurines like old ladies have those porcelain angels.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Scholtz posted:

Did you try it in Japanese with subtitles? Or were you watching the dub?

Netflix only has dubtitles and the same scripting problems that make the dub bad are therefore present.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'm just glad they didn't gut the soundtrack in favor of awful generic music like the anime's dub.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Pokémon Concierge might as well be pantomime as far as I’m concerned. The story is very straightforward and doesn’t really require understanding the humans’ dialogue.

It’s about the vibes as the kids say. Not saying you’re wrong to criticize the script, but maybe try it again with the subs off altogether.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

It all felt like a pilot/1st episode sort of thing. The first 2 introducing all the important characters, and then the final 2 being what she does in her day-to-day job.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Zuzie posted:

I'm just glad they didn't gut the soundtrack in favor of awful generic music like the anime's dub.

Did you know the reason they ruin the dub music is so that the dubbing studios can sub license the new music to international dubs and skim money off the top of the production?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If anyone’s caught any of it yet (I think it started airing in the UK not too long ago at least), are they still messing with the music in the Horizons dub out of curiosity or did that finally stop late into Ash’s run?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They're still doing it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

They're still doing it

That sucks, I still feel like any of the dubbing studios behind the various side projects would be a better fit for the main anime than the usual one

How’s the voicework/translation quality in the Horizons dub though?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Larryb posted:

How’s the voicework/translation quality in the Horizons dub though?

I don't know much about translation itself, but I think the voicework for the English dub that I've heard so far is fantastic for the most part.

Although I'm not sure if I'm ready to hear Matt Mercer in this body of work.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

the Larry merch rules

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

I don't know much about translation itself, but I think the voicework for the English dub that I've heard so far is fantastic for the most part.

Although I'm not sure if I'm ready to hear Matt Mercer in this body of work.

Matt Mercer’s in this? Who does he play?

I’ve heard they didn’t really change any names this time at least except of course for what was already changed in the English version of the games

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Larryb posted:

Matt Mercer’s in this? Who does he play?

I’ve heard they didn’t really change any names this time at least except of course for what was already changed in the English version of the games

The only names I've seen changed are Zir and Conia to Zirc and Onia in English.

As for Matt Mercer, he's voicing Spinel.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What are some typing/ability/moves changes you guys would make? Here’s some of mine:

Typing:
- Veevees now retain the Normal typing after evolving; Jolteon would be Electric/Normal, Espeon Psychic/Normal, Sylveon Fairy/Normal, and so on
- Samurott gains the Fighting type on evolution

Ability:
- Normalize now turns all attacks AGAINST a Pokemon with this ability into Normal type attacks, rather than turning all attacks it uses Normal
- Sharpness now affects Fury Swipes
- Flash Fire now raises the Pokémon’s highest attacking stat one level higher when activated
- Swellow’s Hidden Ability is changed to Aerialate
- Battle Bond once again transforms the user into Ash Greninja, god dammit

Moves:
- Bitter Blade is given to Gallade and Aegislash
- Psyblade is given to Gallade
- Mighty Cleave is given to Kleavor
- Tachyon Cutter is given to Dialga
- Both forms of Samurott receive Kowtow Cleave
- Meloetta gets Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance is given to Charizard, Moltres, Meloetta, and Slither Wing, and its 50 % chance of raising special attack is now 100 %

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Nodosaur posted:

- Normalize now turns all attacks AGAINST a Pokemon with this ability into Normal type attacks, rather than turning all attacks it uses Normal

overpowered, because you could skill swap it onto a ghost-type

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hammerite posted:

overpowered, because you could skill swap it onto a ghost-type

Hm point taken

I dunno I just wanted to make Delcatty suck a tiny bit less

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

would be cool if bug was supereffective vs fairy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Would be cool if Ice had any resistances whatsoever.

Would be cool if Poison was SE vs Water.