Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fart blood posted:

Did Keith Lee really refuse to job or are goons making things up again

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
On the Voices of Wrestling ppv reaction show they said that Keith was supposed to be at last week’s Dynamite for a backstage confrontation with Swerve but he didn’t show. They weren’t sure if it was a no-show or if he told anyone. But that is why Swerve’s promo ended with “if you bother to show up”. They said no one they talked to is entirely sure what is going on.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

On the Voices of Wrestling ppv reaction show they said that Keith was supposed to be at last week’s Dynamite for a backstage confrontation with Swerve but he didn’t show. They weren’t sure if it was a no-show or if he told anyone. But that is why Swerve’s promo ended with “if you bother to show up”. They said no one they talked to is entirely sure what is going on.

I'd be pissed too if I was Swerve if that's the case. Fortunately he has a totally healthy attitude of taking professional setbacks as personal slights against him and using it to fuel his performances.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I though Swerve put a nice bow on it saying he was done with losers who never show up, if Keith ever wants a shot at him again he will have to wrestle matches and work his way up to world champion Swerve. Good promo and we know Keith will never do it so the feud is won.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They said it wasn't a no show, he told them he wouldn't be there.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
SIOG was good. I won't stand for this "Keith Lee was always bad in AEW" libel.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jobitis is a real illness please respect Keith Lee's privacy

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

im pretty sure the summary from what we heard from keith tweets + tony scrum is that keith was working hurt (which is stupid but extremely common) for a while, then the unspecified 'hurt' got worse at the RoH ppv, and then he wasn't sure he could wrestle but wanted to, and then he wasn't cleared by medical

so yeah, the unspecified hurt was boo boo face and it got so bad by the PPV that the doctors said it wasn't safe :(

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Keith Lee ate too much cookout and got a monster tummy ache.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Remember when everyone was clamoring for AEW to take the tag belts off of SIOG and onto the Acclaimed? lmao

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

ThePariah posted:

Remember when everyone was clamoring for AEW to take the tag belts off of SIOG and onto the Acclaimed? lmao

If they would have done it at the pape where the crowd was 100% for the Acclaimed it would have been great. Them doing it soon after was kinda corny

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
yeah its really easy to say that at the time when SIOG was winding down and The Acclaimed were super hot, and now The Acclaimed are super over-exposed and SIOG never really got to finish out their feud

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Keith Lee ate too much cook out and got a monster tummy ache.

man I could really go for a peach milkshake right now

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Tampa Bae posted:

yeah its really easy to say that at the time when SIOG was winding down and The Acclaimed were super hot, and now The Acclaimed are super over-exposed and SIOG never really got to finish out their feud

Over exposed? They've been on TV once in at least a month and haven't had any actual feuds since winning the trios belts. (A major problem with the trios belts)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ThePariah posted:

yep, i remember and it was good.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

In his post show promo Swerve specifically mentioned Keith's leg. I have to wonder if they wanted to prevent a Chris Candido situation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dango Bango posted:

Over exposed? They've been on TV once in at least a month

Sounds like way too much The Acclaimed

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

In his post show promo Swerve specifically mentioned Keith's leg. I have to wonder if they wanted to prevent a Chris Candido situation.

He was a bit before my fandom, may I ask what the Candido situation was and how it relates?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

projecthalaxy posted:

He was a bit before my fandom, may I ask what the Candido situation was and how it relates?

quote:

At Lockdown on April 24, 2005, Candido fractured both his tibia and fibula and dislocated his ankle during a steel cage match with Lance Hoyt against Apolo and Sonny Siaki.[17] He underwent surgery the next day to have titanium plates and screws inserted into his leg. He was at the following Impact! tapings managing The Naturals to defeat America's Most Wanted to win the NWA World Tag Team Championship.[17]

On April 28, 2005, Candido felt ill and his condition worsened during the day. He collapsed in the evening and was rushed to the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, New Jersey.[2][17] He was diagnosed with pneumonia. Doctors drained his lungs, but Candido died soon afterwards. He was 33 years old. His brother Johnny initially believed that Candido died due to a blood clot, a complication from surgery.[17] In a 2016 interview, Johnny would reveal that Chris' autopsy confirmed that he did not die from a blood clot, but rather acute pneumonia brought on by his surgery.[22] This death had a profound effect on fellow wrestlers such as CM Punk, who in 2014 voiced his concern over the possibility of a post-elbow surgery clot similar to what had erroneously been believed to have killed Candido.[23]

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Swerve in Our Glory probably hadn't peaked, but the story to tell there was the break up and the singles push of Swerve and Acclaimed was seriously, insanely over at the time. Plus, it's a good idea to have big crowd pleasing reactions and moments on your most important episode of TV of the year, it builds the history and legacy of that show and Grand Slam is already building itself a pretty nice legacy. It was correct to do it at Grand Slam.

The issue is the Acclaimed then proceeded to just do the exact same act and wrestle the exact same matches and haven't changed anything about anything in the year and a half since. When they teased doing a story that might meaningfully shake up the act's status quo, it just turned out to be leading up to putting a championship on 60 year old Billy Gunn, who, checks notes, yeah, still loving has a championship like four months later.

In 2022, they were one of the hottest things in the company. In 2024, they're probably one of the worst things in the company. Wrestling's cruel.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dang. Guess Chris Candido shouldn't have gotten jobitis.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I would be fine taking Keith Lee and Tony Khan's word for it that the dude has been working through an injury and the injury got worse and he couldn't make get cleared, but that whole "oh, he's injured, that's why he's not on TV" "no, that is not why I'm not on TV" thing, like.....what am I supposed to take away from that? And if he was working through this injury that was in danger of keeping him from missing a huge match, I dunno, why're you doing top rope Canadian Destroyers in your match with Shane Taylor, man?

I think if he was going over on Saturday, he probably would've found a way to gut it out.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I don't know how he thinks his vagueposting is helpful

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
starting to think that maybe wrestlers aren't the best at considering long term consequences to their actions

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

i think if keith was still wrestling with whatever injury he has, in his mind that's no reason for inconsistent booking. i disagree but AEW had Kenny Omega as champ while his body was 85% broken and he had vertigo every time he laid flat on his back so i dunno

the funnier answer is that he said "incorrect" because the real reason he hasn't been used much is an unrelated issue on his end, like he's building a life-sized gundam model by hand or recording an album or something

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Keith Lee ate too much cookout and got a monster tummy ache.

I've changed my mind, Lee is still good

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Oh yeah kenny did pretend to have diverticulitis when he and jericho were told they weren't beating starks and bill.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The overexposure thing is a real problem for AEW, I've mentioned it before. The moment something or someone gets over, it's beaten into the loving ground over and over again. That certainly happened to The Acclaimed, where it seemed like AEW brass thought all they needed to do was show up in some city and talk about scissors and 69ing and leave, every single show, and whaddya know, they got really stale and one-dimensional.

Action Andretti is gonna be doing the water bottle thing in every promo now and it's going to be so moronic.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

the acclaimed are a trios team where i only want to see one of them wrestle

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Everyone being "whoa" about the water bottle thing was funny because it's just one of the current teen boy memes.

Still his best work so far

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh yeah kenny did pretend to have diverticulitis when he and jericho were told they weren't beating starks and bill.

We found the guy who was weeping for Shawn Michaels when he lost his smile.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I prefer the good old honest "that's not gonna work for me, brother" any day

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
It's crazy The Acclaimed never really seemed motivated to evolve the act, even just a little bit. When you are super over, you can take a few chances and test where you should go next. If you have the scissor thing in your bag, you can take some swings because you know you are ending on a home run regardless.

I'd get anxious performing in a long talk segment where you don't really have much material. Entrance rap, 5-8 minutes of inane chatter, scissor, and we outta here was a pretty thin routine. It quickly felt like they were constantly a week away from the "ooh this is dead" segment during the whole scissors across america tour, but they more just faded away.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

cant believe the team that made its bones off South Park catchphrases and rhyming King Kong with Ding Dong has proven so unwilling to evolve

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SIOG sucked because they kept cutting off Swerve’s excellent theme for Keith Lee’s lovely one.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm fine with The Acclaimed (I'd love to see Bowens get more singles matches though) but all their matches now are building to an exceedingly mediocre Daddy rear end hot tag and as a result it feels like fans care less about the Acclaimed at this point than they do Daddy rear end. Ditch Daddy rear end and let them go back to the tag division and I'd be a lot more eager to see them.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I have been an Acclaimed hater since I first saw them back in September 2022 and seeing people finally discussing how bad they are is almost enough to make me weep.

Thank you AEW Hell thread. For the first time in a while I feel Seen

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

apophenium posted:

I have been an Acclaimed hater since I first saw them back in September 2022 and seeing people finally discussing how bad they are is almost enough to make me weep.

Thank you AEW Hell thread. For the first time in a while I feel Seen

I think I remember you calling out how stupid it was that they won the trios titles at Wembley and EVERYBODY got so mad at you. You were 100% right.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Still the right choice because killing the trios titles by putting them on a fun but inconsequential team is the right choice for AEW. Less belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It would have been alright if they’d done literally anything of note since then