Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In Star Trek Prodigy the ship has an experimental drive that can zip around the galaxy in no time, so I guess they just needed a few years in an actual lab to study all their findings and make something stable.

Aside from it exploding into a supernova if the drive's shield fails and causing temporal rifts, but it still works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I have missing teeth and broken teeth but no pain at the moment and a dentist who will see me if I need her so aesthetics aside I'm all right. Wish they'd let me just give up and do dentures though!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

HopperUK posted:

I have missing teeth and broken teeth but no pain at the moment and a dentist who will see me if I need her so aesthetics aside I'm all right. Wish they'd let me just give up and do dentures though!

My nan was from an era when having all your (remaining) teeth removed and a full set of dentures as a replacement was considered a good wedding present. She had all hers removed when she married at 25 (early 1930s).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

jaete posted:

Hmm this planned tube strike in London seems pretty spicy, monday to thursday next week

Details in article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67868906

I'm hoping our TFL worker friends get some more money and whatnot, things have been hosed up re: inflation for decades

Handy chart with details (assuming strike goes ahead):

Oh, that's going to be fun, I've got chemo on Tuesday. Hopefully London Overground doesn't include Southeastern or it's an hour and a half bus ride. Or seeing if I can fight my way onto a riverbus I guess.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah i misunderstood the context on that one i thought he was calling everyone who posted about zach snyder negatively as being frothing mad? I used calm hittler as a shorthand for that kind of passive agreessive 'youre all totally mad but i am calm and normal about things' lol sorry

no, I meant you - I don't know if you are "mad" but you (and others) made a weird post arguing against things no one said in a thread not about Zack Snyder. like how conservatives will apropos of nothing start ranting about the immigrants or health and safety or whatever bugbear they currently have. like how josh04 said in their joke about preparing for 10 pages of Snyder discourse because of one offhand snide comment. it's not the sort of thing people who aren't "mad" do

for what it's worth I'm not calm. I'm mad about it, and more than that I'm tired. I'm so tired of people yelling about comic book movies. I'm tired of overblown nerd hyperbole. I'm tired of posts about a fairly standard mainstream action movie director appearing in threads that have nothing to do with him. I'm tired of people pretending they don't care about things. I'm tired of casual hostility. I'm tired of all these rebel moons

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

For the love of Christ stop talking about Captain Capeshit

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
jeremy corbyn REFUSES to say whether or not he thinks zack snyder is good

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Zack Starmer releases 6 hour masterpiece that manages to say almost nothing political and u-turns on everything that it does.

#fbpes overjoyed.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
As depressing as it is, I really think dental insurance is a pretty worthwhile purchase these days. Of course, not everyone can afford it (especially those who might not need it the most), but you can get coverage for like £10-20 per month, and a lot of plans include 2x annual check ups and hygienist visits in that as well.

It presents a fairly substantial moral quandary, because health insurers are the devil, but on the other hand the state isn't loving paying for it, so this feels like the least worst option if it's within your means.

Now, which is my place against the wall?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

smellmycheese posted:

The last one of his I saw was the “Oceans 11 in Las Vegas but it’s full of zombies” which, on the face of it, is absolutely my poo poo, but which he managed to turn into a dull, tedious, flatulent slog

It's also weird because in 2004 his Dawn of the Dead remake was actually pretty loving banging, but it's pretty much the only genuinely good movie of his I've seen (Watchmen was decent admittedly)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My nan was from an era when having all your (remaining) teeth removed and a full set of dentures as a replacement was considered a good wedding present. She had all hers removed when she married at 25 (early 1930s).

My granny Sadie didn't get it as a wedding present but when she was pretty young (In her thirties I think?) a dentist just straight up recommended getting all her teeth out and having dentures. By the time I came along she was pretty resentful of this advice. I wrestled with some serious dental pain a couple of years ago when one of my teeth cracked down the middle, the dentist saw me pretty quickly and referred me to a clinic to have it extracted, and... that was it. Didn't hear anything else. Eventually called my dentist back up and they were like "Oh yeah no we send them the info then you contact them" like thanks I could have used that information several weeks previously. Once the thing was out I was stunned at what a difference it made; thankfully the bad tooth being one of the molars meant I had another side of the mouth I could use to keep the pain somewhat controlled, but I hadn't realized the constant dull ache was so... constant. Or debilitating.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
why are teeth so loving complicated and delicate

what is the evolutionary advantage

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I mean they seem to work ok for sharks and whales.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

This darts final is loving wonderful.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

As depressing as it is, I really think dental insurance is a pretty worthwhile purchase these days. Of course, not everyone can afford it (especially those who might not need it the most), but you can get coverage for like £10-20 per month, and a lot of plans include 2x annual check ups and hygienist visits in that as well.
Do they cover pre-existing conditions, or is it one of those 'we only insure you for things that are astronomically unlikely to actually happen' things.

You're right that private healthcare is the devil, but our shitheel government is kind of forcing everyone into a position where if you want to keep your teeth you sort of have to take it up.

Like how medical insurance is even more evil, but the alternative is waiting a year for an exhausted resident to miss something on the scan because they've been awake for 26 hours, so you kind of have to take the evil option to not die.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gorn Myson posted:

A nail biter

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Gorn Myson posted:

Please dont post about sports, or wonderful things in here. they have their own threads and some posters have no interest in darts, or wonderful things.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Please dont post about sports, or wonderful things in here. they have their own threads and some posters have no interest in darts, or wonderful things.
Accepted. I'll only post about boring shite like Star Trek shows.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

what does zack snyder think about darts

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i think leonidas fucks up the bullseye shot at the end of 301

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Please dont post

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

kecske posted:

what does zack snyder think about darts

It dragged on a bit and ended in anticlimax and disappointment so I imagine he would be a big fan

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think professional darts should include challenge obstacles like some pubs:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
30 each for the wifi antennas, 60 for bridging the live and earth on the TV plug, 180 if you can headshot that Elvis poster without hitting anyone at the bar.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do they cover pre-existing conditions, or is it one of those 'we only insure you for things that are astronomically unlikely to actually happen' things.

You'd have to look at policy docs I guess. I mean, if you already know you need a full set of fillings then you can't just pay your first £10 monthly premium and get them all done for free, but I guess if you get insured, go for a check up and THEN find out you need a full set of fillings then you're in luck. I don't know enough about how the industry works to understand how easy it would or wouldn't be to commit fraud (plz don't commit fraud).

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/chai_ste/status/1742627228544803024?s=46

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete posted:

why are teeth so loving complicated and delicate

what is the evolutionary advantage

Delicate??? Teeth enamel is the hardest biological substance in the known universe :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Microplastics posted:

Delicate??? Teeth enamel is the hardest biological substance in the known universe :colbert:

Maybe they should have tried a non-biological substance then because this poo poo sucks :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or at least let us jettison them and regrow them on demand.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

And make them out of biological titanium

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Synthetic diamonds for dentures, my friends

Just don't bite your tongue, I guess

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Feldspars for root posts.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Got to be annoying when you just won the darts, and all the media is talking about the loser and what he had for breakfast that day.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Stephen Hawking is trending on the dead bird site. It must be something to do with all his science stuff that he did.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Well, to post something that’s at least marginally on topic, I’m coming to the end of an ordeal which shattered what little faith I still had in NHS dentistry. Back in September I began experiencing massive, skull-splitting pain in one of my teeth. I tried to contact my NHS dentist, and nobody picked up. I left a message, nobody called back. I called multiple times over two days before finally getting through, only to be told the dentist had no appointments before the end of October! They referred me to their sister clinic who did see me that day, but they couldn’t see anything wrong. Ignored everything I had to say about the source of my pain, gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way.

Cue two long months of increasingly worse pain and run around from the dentists I saw until finally someone at the hospital said I’d probably need a wisdom tooth extraction. But I’d need a referral from my dentist (who now couldn’t see me until the end of November), and then I’d join a waiting list that was five months long!

At that point I broke down. I did some DIY dentistry on myself with a lockpick physically forcing my teeth apart, then began looking for a private option. Private dentist arranged a wisdom tooth extraction and also diagnosed a root canal I needed (which I later checked and saw was visible on the first x-ray I got back in September that the first dentist missed). The two procedures together along with other appointments are going to end up costing me about £2000. More if I wanted a crown on the root canalled tooth.

I’m incredibly fortunate that I can afford an expense like that and not have it change my life, but Jesus, what if I couldn’t? What about all the people who can’t? People kill themselves over toothaches, I don’t think I could have lasted five months.

So sorry this happened to you man. For me that’s one of the things that, as a reasonably privileged person (these days anyway), has been so jarring about the last few years - I can’t really access healthcare, how the gently caress does anyone who doesn’t have my privilege?

Glad you found what you needed. I’d seriously recommend anyone to learn a bit of basic healthcare. How to treat a wound, a minor broken bone, a bad infection of the innards.

I’ve lost hope for a better world to be honest. But I do intend that I and the people I care about will survive nonetheless, and that involves knowing how to do a few things that a British person 20 years ago would’ve had no reason to know.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

What, the Idirans?

The virgin Idirans vs the chad affront

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jakabite posted:

So sorry this happened to you man. For me that’s one of the things that, as a reasonably privileged person (these days anyway), has been so jarring about the last few years - I can’t really access healthcare, how the gently caress does anyone who doesn’t have my privilege?

Glad you found what you needed. I’d seriously recommend anyone to learn a bit of basic healthcare. How to treat a wound, a minor broken bone, a bad infection of the innards.

I’ve lost hope for a better world to be honest. But I do intend that I and the people I care about will survive nonetheless, and that involves knowing how to do a few things that a British person 20 years ago would’ve had no reason to know.

Yeah, I never want to have to basically castaway myself again, but it’s disgusting that such things have become functionally necessary now, and I guess at least I know I have the fortitude to do it.

It also honestly shocked me what a different world private medical care is. I can email my dentist and she gets back to me within a few hours, I can phone and be sure they’ll pick up because the dental nurse doesn’t pull double duty as a receptionist. I can go in for an appointment and it doesn’t feel like we’re on a tight schedule because there’s not enough hours in the day. That poo poo shouldn’t feel like a premium service but it bloody well does! I’d almost forgotten what good dentistry looked like.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Or at least let us jettison them and regrow them on demand.
At high speed, preferably.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, I never want to have to basically castaway myself again, but it’s disgusting that such things have become functionally necessary now, and I guess at least I know I have the fortitude to do it.

It also honestly shocked me what a different world private medical care is. I can email my dentist and she gets back to me within a few hours, I can phone and be sure they’ll pick up because the dental nurse doesn’t pull double duty as a receptionist. I can go in for an appointment and it doesn’t feel like we’re on a tight schedule because there’s not enough hours in the day. That poo poo shouldn’t feel like a premium service but it bloody well does! I’d almost forgotten what good dentistry looked like.

Where roughly are you based? Because even my NHS dentist often has two dedicated receptionists and a dedicated nurse for each dentist. They are public-private mind you and I think like many their registers for NHS are full until more of the elderly patients pass away.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Folks, the vibes can only get better.

quote:

“It will feel different,” Starmer will say. “The character of politics will change, and with it the national mood. A collective breathing out, a burden lifted, and then, the space for a more hopeful look forward. Because the truth is, it’s this kind of politics and only this kind of politics that can offer real change.”

quote:

Senior Labour officials hope Starmer’s promise to lift the national mood will help dispel criticisms that the party is increasingly offering little in the way of more concrete change should it win the election.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/03/labour-election-win-would-lift-downtrodden-uk-keir-starmer-to-say

Just by replacing the tories and existing as prime minister, Starmer thinks people will feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'll breathe a lot easier when the tories are out of power. Starmer taking office won't count as that, though.