Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Bardamnu
Jan 23, 2020

Covok posted:

I think we have a kind of "invisible" COVID death situation. Boomers took down most trackers and ghouls want news coverage to a minimum. They realized keeping us informed meant we collectively bargained for better conditions. They can't return us all to the office so they can pump up real estste values if we fear the office collectively. However, there are loads of people invisibily dying of COVID all year around. The flu was always contained to a particular season but COVID is forever. I legit think we will experience near flatlined worldwide population growth compared to before as the virus endlessly ravages us. In time, I think it will contribute to the end of civilization.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Why did this post trigger so many people. Everything in it is objectively true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Awkward Davies posted:

I mean, I'm with you. I've postponed going back to the gym for a little bit, back to masking in grocery stores, trying to minimize exposure.

That said, I feel like we've had big waves each holiday season, and then it subsides a bit. If you look at the NYS covid chart that was posted below the last three peaks are all in January.

This peak will pass also.

That's not to say that our entire covid "strategy" (or the absence of one) isn't totally hosed, but these peaks have happened the last few years and then dropped off.

The peak will pass, and it will have left in its wake 1) an amount of preventable death that would previously have been considered mass death and b) hundreds of thousands if not millions new maimings / disabilities.

We'll also be left with a higher baseline of cases - a baseline that at one point would have been considered a peak itself. And of course, new dangerous variants that are more transmissible, more immune evasive, and more able to bind to our receptors.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Why Am I So Tired posted:

The peak will pass, and it will have left in its wake 1) an amount of preventable death that would previously have been considered mass death and b) hundreds of thousands if not millions new maimings / disabilities.

We'll also be left with a higher baseline of cases - a baseline that at one point would have been considered a peak itself. And of course, new dangerous variants that are more transmissible, more immune evasive, and more able to bind to our receptors.

Oh yeah, I mean it's All Bad. I was just trying to slightly take the edge off the feeling of doom that poster was experiencing. I in no way think anything about this situation is good, and I think we should do everything we can to improve it (lol).

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pingui posted:

Yeah, there was an extremely noticeable drop in COVID news coverage after the White House declared the pandemic over (immediately halving it at the very low end and it only went down afterwards). That is a large part of why my news posting has become much more erratic since then.

In November it started picking up a tiny bit, start and middle of December was markedly increased (to then drop to trickle between Christmas and New Years).

Biden is president we cannot scare number. Please think of number in this trying time. And good President. Aren’t you glad we have good President instead of bad President? If number gets scared, bad President might come back.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Covok posted:

I think we have a kind of "invisible" COVID death situation. Boomers took down most trackers and ghouls want news coverage to a minimum. They realized keeping us informed meant we collectively bargained for better conditions. They can't return us all to the office so they can pump up real estste values if we fear the office collectively. However, there are loads of people invisibily dying of COVID all year around. The flu was always contained to a particular season but COVID is forever. I legit think we will experience near flatlined worldwide population growth compared to before as the virus endlessly ravages us. In time, I think it will contribute to the end of civilization.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

banned for truth

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
The Scientific American article is new, but the most interesting study they cite is old (last October), so apologies if posted.

TL:DR: Multiple jabs help protect against Long Covid.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/vaccination-dramatically-lowers-long-covid-risk/

Scientific American posted:

At least 200 million people worldwide have struggled with long COVID: a slew of symptoms that can persist for months or even years after an infection with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID. But research suggests that that number would likely be much higher if not for vaccines.

A growing consensus is emerging that receiving multiple doses of the COVID vaccine before an initial infection can dramatically reduce the risk of long-term symptoms. Although the studies disagree on the exact amount of protection, they show a clear trend: the more shots in your arm before your first bout with COVID, the less likely you are to get long COVID. One meta-analysis of 24 studies published in October, for example, found that people who’d had three doses of the COVID vaccine were 68.7 percent less likely to develop long COVID compared with those who were unvaccinated. [study below] “This is really impressive,” says Alexandre Marra, a medical researcher at the Albert Einstein Israelite Hospital in Brazil and the lead author of the study. “Booster doses make a difference in long COVID.”

It is also a welcome departure from earlier studies, which suggested that vaccines provided only a modest defense against long COVID. In 2022 Marra’s team published a meta-analysis of six studies that found that a single dose of the COVID vaccine reduced the likelihood of long COVID by 30 percent. Now, that protection appears to be much greater.

A study published in November in the BMJ found that a single COVID vaccine dose reduced the risk of long COVID by 21 percent, two doses reduced it by 59 percent and three or more doses reduced it by 73 percent. Vaccine effectiveness clearly climbed with each successive dose. “I was surprised that we saw such a clear dose response,” says Fredrik Nyberg, an epidemiologist at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden and one of the co-authors of the study. “The more doses you had in your body before your first infection, the better.” That lines up with the findings of several new studies, which similarly show this ladderlike benefit. Marra’s October 2023 meta-analysis found that two doses reduced long COVID likelihood by 36.9 percent and three doses reduced it by 68.7 percent. And in a study published last year in the Journal of the American Medical Association, other researchers found that the prevalence of long COVID in health care workers dropped from 41.8 percent in unvaccinated participants to 30 percent in those with a single dose, 17.4 percent with two doses and 16 percent with three doses.

These studies were conducted in various countries with differing health care systems, demographics, COVID vaccination uptake and COVID prevalence. As such, Marra notes that the COVID vaccines’ effectiveness against long COVID will vary and may not be generalizable to other settings. Still, the consistency of the studies’ findings is telling—regardless of their settings, many studies agree that boosters provide potent protection against long COVID. Marra’s recent meta-analysis, for example, showed that the prevalence of long COVID in the early years of the pandemic was consistently above 20 percent. Today rates of long COVID have dropped, likely thanks to increased immunity, milder variants and improved treatment. Yet there is still a sharp divide between unvaccinated and vaccinated people. The prevalence of long COVID is currently 11 percent among those who are unvaccinated and 5 percent among those who have had two or more doses of the vaccine. “It is a significant difference for those who are unwilling to take the risk,” he says.

The question is why. It could be that these vaccines help prevent severe COVID itself, which is a risk factor for long COVID. But that does not appear to be the whole story—in part because the boosters have also been shown to shield people who had only a mild COVID infection. Unfortunately, the precise mechanisms at play are hard to disentangle because the cause of long COVID itself is still cloaked in mystery. One possibility is that the virus lingers in the body, hiding in various organs—such as the gut or brain—and causing chronic inflammation. Another is that long COVID is an autoimmune disease in which the immune response triggered by the initial infection wages an extended war against the body, causing symptoms long after the initial infection has been cleared.

For both scenarios, boosters give people the upper hand, argues Akiko Iwasaki, an immunologist at Yale University who is co-leading a clinical trial on long COVID. That is because boosters enhance antibodies—increasing both their numbers and their ability to bind to the virus—as well as T and B immune cells that help fight the virus. With both components, “people who take the booster shots have an improved ability to fight off infection,” Iwasaki says. And that is key, allowing the booster to quash a growing infection before it spirals out of control. “The more you can prevent the replication and spread of the virus within the body, the less chance the virus has to seed a niche—to establish reservoirs or cause excessive inflammation that leads to autoimmunity,” she says.

Although it will take time to pinpoint the exact reason behind vaccines’ protective effect against long COVID, many medical experts are hopeful that the new studies will help counter the spread of misinformation and disinformation about the COVID immunizations that has contributed to vaccine hesitancy. But experts also note that while vaccines reduce the risk of long COVID, they do not eradicate it, and protection may wane over time. “Breakthrough infections can still occur, and the dynamic of the virus—including the emergence of new variants—add complexity to the situation,” Marra says. As such, he notes that it’s important to continue to follow public health guidelines to minimize the impact of COVID, including the risk of long-term symptoms.
Ah, well, too bad about all those new variants though!

That study from above: https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...799857B801D116E (it's open access, PDF of the full study at the link)

Marra et al 2023 posted:

The effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccine in the prevention of post-COVID conditions: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis of the latest research | Antimicrobial Stewardship & Healthcare Epidemiology | Cambridge Core

Abstract
Objective:
We performed a systematic literature review and meta-analysis on the effectiveness of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination against post-COVID conditions (long COVID) among fully vaccinated individuals.

Design:
Systematic literature review/meta-analysis.

Methods:
We searched PubMed, Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health, EMBASE, Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials, Scopus, and Web of Science from December 1, 2019, to June 2, 2023, for studies evaluating the COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness (VE) against post-COVID conditions among fully vaccinated individuals who received two doses of COVID-19 vaccine. A post-COVID condition was defined as any symptom that was present four or more weeks after COVID-19 infection. We calculated the pooled diagnostic odds ratio (DOR) (95% confidence interval) for post-COVID conditions between fully vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals. Vaccine effectiveness was estimated as 100% x (1-DOR).

Results:
Thirty-two studies with 775,931 individuals evaluated the effect of vaccination on post-COVID conditions, of which, twenty-four studies were included in the meta-analysis. The pooled DOR for post-COVID conditions among fully vaccinated individuals was 0.680 (95% CI: 0.523–0.885) with an estimated VE of 32.0% (11.5%–47.7%). Vaccine effectiveness was 36.9% (23.1%–48.2%) among those who received two doses of COVID-19 vaccine before COVID-19 infection and 68.7% (64.7%–72.2%) among those who received three doses before COVID-19 infection. The stratified analysis demonstrated no protection against post-COVID conditions among those who received COVID-19 vaccination after COVID-19 infection.

Conclusions:
Receiving a complete COVID-19 vaccination prior to contracting the virus resulted in a significant reduction in post-COVID conditions throughout the study period, including during the Omicron era. Vaccine effectiveness demonstrated an increase when supplementary doses were administered.

From the full study:

quote:

Vaccine effectiveness against post-COVID conditions was higher when a third dose was administered. However, no protection against post-COVID conditions was observed with vaccinations given after a person had already contracted COVID-19.
I *think* they're talking about the infection that gave the person the Long Covid. I'm curious how effective boosters are for future infections if you've had COVID once already, but you didn't (as far as you can tell) get Long COVID from that first infection.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Fantastic news (if you could only get COVID once): https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/vaccination-dramatically-lowers-long-covid-risk/

quote:

A growing consensus is emerging that receiving multiple doses of the COVID vaccine before an initial infection can dramatically reduce the risk of long-term symptoms. Although the studies disagree on the exact amount of protection, they show a clear trend: the more shots in your arm before your first bout with COVID, the less likely you are to get long COVID. One meta-analysis of 24 studies published in October, for example, found that people who’d had three doses of the COVID vaccine were 68.7 percent less likely to develop long COVID compared with those who were unvaccinated. “This is really impressive,” says Alexandre Marra, a medical researcher at the Albert Einstein Israelite Hospital in Brazil and the lead author of the study. “Booster doses make a difference in long COVID.”

It is also a welcome departure from earlier studies, which suggested that vaccines provided only a modest defense against long COVID. In 2022 Marra’s team published a meta-analysis of six studies that found that a single dose of the COVID vaccine reduced the likelihood of long COVID by 30 percent. Now, that protection appears to be much greater.

A study published in November in the BMJ found that a single COVID vaccine dose reduced the risk of long COVID by 21 percent, two doses reduced it by 59 percent and three or more doses reduced it by 73 percent. Vaccine effectiveness clearly climbed with each successive dose. “I was surprised that we saw such a clear dose response,” says Fredrik Nyberg, an epidemiologist at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden and one of the co-authors of the study. “The more doses you had in your body before your first infection, the better.” That lines up with the findings of several new studies, which similarly show this ladderlike benefit. Marra’s October 2023 meta-analysis found that two doses reduced long COVID likelihood by 36.9 percent and three doses reduced it by 68.7 percent. And in a study published last year in the Journal of the American Medical Association, other researchers found that the prevalence of long COVID in health care workers dropped from 41.8 percent in unvaccinated participants to 30 percent in those with a single dose, 17.4 percent with two doses and 16 percent with three doses.

These studies were conducted in various countries with differing health care systems, demographics, COVID vaccination uptake and COVID prevalence. As such, Marra notes that the COVID vaccines’ effectiveness against long COVID will vary and may not be generalizable to other settings. Still, the consistency of the studies’ findings is telling—regardless of their settings, many studies agree that boosters provide potent protection against long COVID. Marra’s recent meta-analysis, for example, showed that the prevalence of long COVID in the early years of the pandemic was consistently above 20 percent. Today rates of long COVID have dropped, likely thanks to increased immunity, milder variants and improved treatment. Yet there is still a sharp divide between unvaccinated and vaccinated people. The prevalence of long COVID is currently 11 percent among those who are unvaccinated and 5 percent among those who have had two or more doses of the vaccine. “It is a significant difference for those who are unwilling to take the risk,” he says.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

long covid is psychosomatic -> long covid is the result of not being properly vaccinated pipeline

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
What percentage of people haven't had COVID even a single time yet though?

I know my parents are moderately careful, ie way more careful than 98% of the population but not nearly as careful as the people in this thread for instance, and have managed to dodge it. They've had all their shots on time which is great news according to that, but they're in an awfully high risk age group now.

Anyone have any guesses what the Paxlovid situation will be like on Medicare?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

covok comes in and posts some panicky conspiracy brained gibberish and then a bunch of people who don't post in this thread decide to come in and agree with his terrible take

makes u think

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Studies included are all predating the finding that pre-monovalent vax shots have no protective effect against JN.1 at all and the monovalent shot is only like 60% effective even against hospitalization so I wouldn't be too happy about this given that the virus is now handily outrunning our vaccine development speed

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Studies included are all predating the finding that pre-monovalent vax shots have no protective effect against JN.1 at all and the monovalent shot is only like 60% effective even against hospitalization so I wouldn't be too happy about this given that the virus is now handily outrunning our vaccine development speed

excuse me have you read this part of the article

quote:

Today rates of long COVID have dropped, likely thanks to increased immunity, milder variants and improved treatment.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bedpan posted:

excuse me have you read this part of the article

haha i did miss that, they sneak it in everywhere don't they

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Awkward Davies posted:

Oh yeah, I mean it's All Bad. I was just trying to slightly take the edge off the feeling of doom that poster was experiencing. I in no way think anything about this situation is good, and I think we should do everything we can to improve it (lol).

Oh my bad, sorry, I missed that context, I'm half asleep and angry. It's just wild watching everyone completely ignore this wave. Everything is just so needlessly stupid and awful.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao, JN.1.1 is surging everywhere and already there's a potential new variant brewing up. A recombinant of JN.1 and EG.5.1.1

XDD

Yeah I singled it out in my sequencing report last week since it's already here in Washington. I figure it won't take off for awhile, and it's hard to say by how much since loads of people are getting hit with JN.1* atm so maybe that'll put a dent in things?

lol, who the gently caress knows

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

here is a piece published in November by the same author for the same place

quote:

Now studies suggest the rates of long COVID may be dropping. Although the investigations were not designed to assess the reason for this trend, scientists suspect the downturn is a result of increased immunity to SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID), milder variants of that pathogen and improved treatments. It is a welcome reprieve, but the decline does not help the millions of people who are already suffering from long COVID. Moreover experts warn that the risk is still not zero. And without a clear explanation for the downward trend, it is unclear whether it will continue.

quote:

Although the studies disagree on absolute numbers, experts argue that the downhill trend is real—that the likelihood of any individual developing long COVID has fallen since the beginning of the pandemic. The question is why.

quote:

Moreover a study published just last week found that three or more doses of a COVID vaccine reduced the risk of long COVID by 73 percent, compared with 21 percent after just one dose. And while research is inconclusive on whether repeat infections confer protection, a single infection mixed with vaccination—otherwise known as hybrid immunity—likely reduces future infections and disease.

quote:

We are also dealing with different viral variants. Many scientists believe that the intrinsic features of the different SARS-CoV-2 strains make them more or less likely to cause long COVID. Thus, many long COVID studies broke their data down not by infection date but by the dominant variant at the time. And some suggested that the severity of long COVID was far worse for those infected at the very start of the pandemic. One investigation compared Swiss hospital workers in May 2022—roughly six months after the Omicron variant first appeared—with workers who had been infected with the original strain in 2020. It found that the latter had far more lingering symptoms than those who were infected more recently. “I really think there is something to this variant, to Omicron, that makes it less aggressive,” says Philipp Kohler, an infectious disease specialist at St. Gallen Cantonal Hospital in Switzerland and co-senior author of the study.

quote:

Finally, treatments may have chipped away at long COVID incidence as well. Antivirals can now help to corral the virus early in an infection, thus reducing both its acute severity and its long-term impacts. In March 2023 a study involving more than 280,000 veterans with COVID found that those who were given the drug Paxlovid in the first five days of symptoms had an about 25 percent lower risk of developing long COVID than a control group. And a more recent study found that people who were overweight who received another drug called metformin, which also has antiviral properties, were 41 percent less likely to develop long COVID than those who received a placebo. Yale Medicine cardiologist Erica Spatz, who was not involved in the metformin study, was so impressed by the results that she now prescribes it to any COVID patients concerned about long COVID.

quote:

Many argue that if population immunity is key, then long COVID cases could continue to drop. That is assuming vaccination uptake does not deteriorate further, however. “We cannot have our cake and eat it, too,” Al-Aly says. “We cannot say vaccinations reduce the risk of long COVID by some percent and then abandon them—as is looking very likely—and expect long COVID to continue to decline.”

But if the variant is more important, the future of long COVID will be the result of evolutionary chance. The virus will continue to mutate, and the next variant could be far more severe than Omicron and thus drive long COVID rates—not to mention deaths and hospitalizations—up again. Yet even in this dire case, Iwasaki says there is promise. If you are vaccinated, she says, you might be able to withstand a more dangerous variant. “That is my hope,” Iwasaki says. “Currently there is nothing to go against that hope. But we can’t be too comfortable. We can’t assume that the future variants will be very mild.”

And even if we are lucky, many experts argue that a dwindling risk is still a very real one.

lol lmao

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I've been hearing not to worry, covid is seasonal. there are only big spikes every year around winter, nbd.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

almost certainly way lower than people think

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

covok comes in and posts some panicky conspiracy brained gibberish and then a bunch of people who don't post in this thread decide to come in and agree with his terrible take

makes u think

the subtlety was lacking for sure

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I love how the people making the seasonal argument are the same people taking zero precautions during the season they're talking about. I also love that Australia exists.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Posting on the protective resin page.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

spiritual bypass posted:

new finance gimmick: mitigate covid by purchasing coughsets

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Ziyad Al-Aly stays winning

quote:

[Al-Aly] notes that such a study would not be easy, particularly because COVID testing and tracking have recently slowed, so long COVID patients are likely being undercounted. (Many of the previously mentioned papers avoided this issue because they stopped collecting data before the slowdown in testing.)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Louisgod posted:

well, I'm still testing negative somehow and my kids are finally testing negative so we're gonna have our make-up Christmas with my family today. I've had these last few days off and mostly stayed in so as to not risk getting sick. our new reality owns.

that’s great! Has your family been taking the same precautions?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

fully incredible that everyone just KEEPS SAYING "maybe it'll get better, let's hope!" and then it loving doesn't, and then they just truck right along!

have some goddamn respect for yourself idiot scientists!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Oracle posted:

that’s great! Has your family been taking the same precautions?

for the most part yeah.. they're all homebodies anyway

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

There are many things I could have quoted from this piece, but I think that line sums it up.

It's reassuring that you can apparently be an utter moron in various ways and still end up as a successful director of one of the largest research institutions in the world.

The Oldest Man posted:

makes u think

I can only assume that some readers ITT aren't familiar with Covok's brand of doomposting.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
guess how this ends. i was just baking. i tasted the brown sugar as it was going in. to see if I like brown sugar by itself. surprisingly it tasted really bad... really bitter. i thought, is my sugar tainted, is my finger contaminated with something.... i rinsed my mouth/hands and planned to open a different brown sugar bag to try, but i tried some out of my bowl again and suddenly it tasted great. then i looked over at where the brown sugar bag had been sitting on the counter, and it's right where I had cleaned a 3M Bitrex spill a while back

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

The Oldest Man posted:

makes u think

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Oldest Man posted:

makes u think

Every cspam thread is about the world ending. This thread is about 1000x more optimistic than the global warming thread for example.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"lol the world is ending" - great post in the economics thread
"lol the world is ending" - great post in the global warming thread
"lol the world is ending" - the covid thread echo chamber claims another victim requiring mod intervention

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Awkward Davies posted:

not masking during lulls is precisely what produces the next peak

not that we have lulls anymore. according to wastewater for years there are no more waves, no more low valleys, just high peaks in between medium. life is not 2019 between them

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Salt Fish posted:

Every cspam thread is about the world ending. This thread is about 1000x more optimistic than the global warming thread for example.

it was just badly worded. like troll bait.

Soap Scum posted:

the subtlety was lacking for sure

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rescue Toaster posted:

my wife and I have never had it and we visit relatives unmasked, we're just selective about who we see and when.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm fine with people getting 6ers for saying something that stupid but the point is who are these dumbfucks coming out of the woodwork to empty quote him

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

fully incredible that everyone just KEEPS SAYING "maybe it'll get better, let's hope!" and then it loving doesn't, and then they just truck right along!

two three four years of lockdowns did this

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Toxic positivity. Thank God these people aren't sailors, they'd be saying "Yes we're taking on water and the bilge pump is broken, but the weather could improve!"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DirtyRobot posted:

(..)
That study from above: https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...799857B801D116E (it's open access, PDF of the full study at the link)
(..)

I don't think I am going to trust the thoroughness of a study containing this line:

quote:

Previous studies suggested that the Delta and Omicron variants caused less systemic inflammatory processes, severe illness, or death, resulting in less severe long COVID symptoms than the wild-type variant (Wuhan)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pingui posted:

I don't think I am going to trust the thoroughness of a study containing this line:

reported for not believing doctors and scientists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bardamnu posted:

Why did this post trigger so many people. Everything in it is objectively true.

COVID would have to kill like seventy million people in a year to flatline population growth.

It’s the king of infectious disease, but it’s not beating malaria and TB by two orders of magnitude.