Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I gave it an honest shot, but I Think You Should Leave is mostly filler poo poo that wouldn't even work on something more esoteric like The State or Kids in the Hall.

Drivin' Crooner is good and so is Coffin Flop, but everything else is mostly, "Yes, that is funny one time and never again" and "gently caress, lemme just see the Drivin' Crooner again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Technowrite posted:

I gave it an honest shot, but I Think You Should Leave is mostly filler poo poo that wouldn't even work on something more esoteric like The State or Kids in the Hall.

Drivin' Crooner is good and so is Coffin Flop, but everything else is mostly, "Yes, that is funny one time and never again" and "gently caress, lemme just see the Drivin' Crooner again."

ITYSL pulls off something i didnt really think was possible with media. the show is not at its best while you're watching it, it's best when you're having or overhearing a regular every day conversation and the show just pops into your brain bc some sketch has a topic that's either overlapping or adjacent to what you're hearing IRL. it is the embodiment of living in your head rent free.

it's so much funnier to quote it either with people who have no idea wtf you're talking about, but even better with someone else who does know.

big fat load of cum then

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
There are a lot of sketches which don't land, but some of them make me giggle more than anything since I've been a stoned af teenager.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

A lot of the sketches are just him being a jerk and loud. But some really hit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Very late to the thread but I love the thread title starting off with "What Show" and then immediately going "(or I guess anything anyone has ever created)". Among the Breaking Bad haters and Melba contrarians we can expect Salieri's ghost to pop in and be like oh sweet, finally a place that will accept my hot takes.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I also feel the same way about Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job. Tom Goes to the Mayor is loving horrible, though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

All of Queen's most well known hits, aside from Don't Stop Me Now, have been so run into the ground that I'm sick of them. Especially Bohemian Rhapsody, one of their most original songs but I'm just so tired of hearing it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

All of Queen's most well known hits, aside from Don't Stop Me Now, have been so run into the ground that I'm sick of them. Especially Bohemian Rhapsody, one of their most original songs but I'm just so tired of hearing it.

I somehow avoided Don't Stop Me Now for most of my life so thankfully it's still pretty fresh and would take a lot to run it into the ground for me.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lobok posted:

I somehow avoided Don't Stop Me Now for most of my life so thankfully it's still pretty fresh and would take a lot to run it into the ground for me.

How about a Google Doodle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe0gIFxYhrk

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I recently listened to Deep Cuts, a Queen compilation that is the band's personal favorites without any of the hits. Now my favourite Queen song is Ogre Battle.

It's nice to listen to a big band without having to fast forward the overplayed hits. Very freshing.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

The Alan partridge movie was alright

Agreed. Big fan of IAP and KMKY here, but I don't think the modern Partridge stuff is any good at all. It might raise a smile and a smirk but it's sad to see it's not a patch on the old stuff. One might even say moribund

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Not to mention Colaiuta, Bozzio, Vai, Ponty, etc. Say what you will about his personality, Zappa's music is beyond reproach and I won't hear otherwise.

I think I suffered from reading fatigue about Zappa: you read all this stuff about him and dry dissecrions of his music for too long and you go "yeah he sucks". But recently I put on We're Only In It For The Money and thought "yeah that's pretty drat impressive".

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Chrpno posted:

Agreed. Big fan of IAP and KMKY here, but I don't think the modern Partridge stuff is any good at all. It might raise a smile and a smirk but it's sad to see it's not a patch on the old stuff. One might even say moribund
The only recent Partridge stuff that's been entertaining are the books (audiobooks read by Alan himself). "This Time" and the "From the Oasthouse" podcast....not so much.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

I recently listened to Deep Cuts, a Queen compilation that is the band's personal favorites without any of the hits. Now my favourite Queen song is Ogre Battle.

It's nice to listen to a big band without having to fast forward the overplayed hits. Very freshing.

Queen II is their best album, kind of heavy proggy.

Queen was never about anything other than money and once they got it - around A Night at the Opera - they quit being creative. News of the World is the first album where it really shows. The band's fights were over who got the extra money on singles releases. The reason they began crediting the band as songwriters in the mid-1980s because nobody would shut up about the money and it nearly broke them up.

Hot Space is the last album that feels like anyone had any actual passion. It was not popular - I kinda like it - and they went back to the soulless well for The Works.

Had Mercury not gotten HIV and kept living through the 1990s, I have no doubt he'd be full of bad opinions and cringe behavior.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Had Mercury not gotten HIV and kept living through the 1990s, I have no doubt he'd be full of bad opinions and cringe behavior.

jeez man you're hating on the guy without even giving him a chance to have become a british media boomer

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

anyone here into ted lasso? so many people i know claim it's a great show and i see so much about it in media it makes me sick.

i think the main actor is not funny in anything he's in, and a show everyone claims is surprisingly/refreshingly wholesome is bound to be boring as poo poo.

i hate it and i've never (and will never) watch it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I thought I'd hate it but it really is refreshingly wholesome. There aren't many/any comedies around anymore where every character is a good person. It's kind of like the reverse of when married with children started the sitcom trend of every character being an unabashed scumbag and was fun despite not being good. It has some clever wordplay jokes which I'm a sucker for though. The second season wasn't nearly as good and the third was mid at best but it was just kewl to watch something about good people for a change.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 4, 2024

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Queen are one of those bands I loved every track I've heard but I couldn't name a single track not released as a single

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

I thought I'd hate it but it really is refreshingly wholesome. There aren't many/any comedies around anymore where every character is a good person. It's kind of like the reverse of when married with children started the sitcom trend of every character being an unabashed scumbag and was fun despite not being good. It has some clever wordplay jokes which I'm a sucker for though. The second season wasn't nearly as good and the third was mid at best but it was just kewl to watch something about good people for a change.

interesting. i'm much too cynical i think for it to have an impact on me, but it's interesting to hear this perspective i guess.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
the simpsons

everyones alays going on about how classic and great the show is, but i saw one on sunday night and it was just a bunch of dumb garbage

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Junk posted:

the simpsons

everyones alays going on about how classic and great the show is, but i saw one on sunday night and it was just a bunch of dumb garbage

If this isn’t a troll post then the show has been absolute shift for 25 years. People are only fond of seasons 2-8.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Queen sound like the soundtrack to a musical that I wouldn't want to see.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
The following things are garbage:

The Shawshank Redemption
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Anything Stephen King has written that isn’t Salem’s Lot
Stanley Kubrick
Ed Norton
Bob Dylan
John Lennon
Paul McCartney

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

mweber posted:

The following things are garbage:

mweber posted:

Bob Dylan
John Lennon
Paul McCartney

correct

mweber posted:

Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Anything Stephen King has written that isn’t Salem’s Lot
Ed Norton

indifferent

mweber posted:

The Shawshank Redemption
Stanley Kubrick

fighting words

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

correct

indifferent

fighting words

We can bond over how much “Imagine” sucks.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
shawshank redemption is awful sentimental crap, it's titanic for boomer men

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Queen sound like the soundtrack to a musical that I wouldn't want to see.

I guess that's more Ogre Battles for the rest of us then.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Doctor Butts posted:

A lot of the sketches are just him being a jerk and loud. But some really hit.

There's subjectivity to this, of course, but I think it's a smarter show than that. A lot of modern comedy is based around being loud or awkward, but ITYSL has almost every sketch based in the idea of rules, mostly unspoken ones, and being completely unwilling to budge on them.

It gives everything a sense of playground stakes, where characters often meet frustration and humiliation because they don't understand why others can't abide by the rules. I've heard it suggested it really resonates with a lot of neurodivergent people. Conversely, I know some people who would describe themselves and anxious absolutely unable to stomach the show.

The playground stakes leads to a lot of really funny language, like "at my old work", "the walls are his ground" or "you had all summer to figure out what you do". I'll often catch a slightly off turn of phrase on a rewatch and crack up

I'm Crap posted:

shawshank redemption is awful sentimental crap, it's titanic for boomer men

I could really do without pretty much all of that 90s, golden-hued "there was racism, but only from, like, yokel prison guards", revisionist Oscar-bait nostalgia poo poo. At least Titanic had some spectacle.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 4, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Okay but he dug a hole all sneaky like! He was innocent and did an escape and was did it by himself he is an inspiration! And then he met up with the guy who served his time (but he did his time he was a real prison guy) and wasn't racist. Can you really write a story like that these days? No way, never, too genius.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

syntaxfunction posted:

Okay but he dug a hole all sneaky like! He was innocent and did an escape and was did it by himself he is an inspiration! And then he met up with the guy who served his time (but he did his time he was a real prison guy) and wasn't racist. Can you really write a story like that these days? No way, never, too genius.

I don't think that it sucks or anything, but I remember seeing it touted as an all-time classic for a while and nah. It's good, though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah it's fine tbh, but holy poo poo it's weirdly overrated. Like Forrest Gump.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've never watched a studio ghibli film that didn't make me fall asleep

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If this isn’t a troll post then the show has been absolute shift for 25 years. People are only fond of seasons 2-8.

Nah some of it is "classic" but all of it is good

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I watched Forrest Gump on tv when I was like, 7 years old and loved it, but I haven't watched it since because I don't think it would resonate as well as an adult man.

I think Shawshank Redemption is a good movie.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I enjoy the gradual ensmallening of the"classic" Simpsons among the purists. The boundaries get pushed in every year - now we are to only seasons 2-8, everything else being total trash. Soon there will be one still image from a season 5 episode that will be considered an unimpeachable masterpiece, while everything else will be called a crass imitation of its perfection.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I enjoy the gradual ensmallening of the"classic" Simpsons among the purists. The boundaries get pushed in every year - now we are to only seasons 2-8, everything else being total trash. Soon there will be one still image from a season 5 episode that will be considered an unimpeachable masterpiece, while everything else will be called a crass imitation of its perfection.

a lot of people point to the armin tamzarian episode as being the official starting point of bad simpsons, which is fair because it marks the first time they decided to burn an entire character's worth of continuity and characterization for the sake of one not particularly good episode. that was right at the beginning of season 9, which is why people say 8 was the end. but there's still some good episodes in seasons 9-12: armin tamzarian showed that they were running out of ideas but they didn't actually finish running out for another few seasons, the show just became hit and miss for a while before settling into being miss and miss

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Turn them off after 45 minutes, you've seen the best parts.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I like their stuff, but, kind of to my shame, I know I would have found them boring and confusing as gently caress when I was 8.

I saw The Boy and the Heron and liked it, but every parent their with their kids gave off a quinoa and piano lessons vibe.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

shawshank: not racist enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Shawshank and Forrest Gump were enjoyable and people today prefer movies that make them feel like poo poo.