Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I've been spending the whole winter going "as soon as I'm done with x I'm going to call my insurance and get it straightened out so my partner and I can get boosted" and now all of a sudden it's 2024 and we've got 1-2 callouts (or worse, send homes) at work from people being sick every day. I'm sort of paralyzed between wanting to just plunk down money to get shots in our arms at the nearest pharmacy and trying to get it covered by kaiser. I'm not sure if my employment situation is going to remain stable throughout the year so part of me really wants to try and use insurance while I've still got it. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

A Bag of Milk posted:

Iota-carrageenan nasal spray and probiotic lozenges containing streptococcus salivarius k12 should be better than nothing even if used after exposure. Getting your hands on either of those within 24hrs if you don't already have them in the medicine cabinet might be hard though.

Oh, I totally have those. I've done the spray and two lozenges so far this evening; I'll have another before bed, and I'm about to hit the fancy mouthwash. I also need to find the vitamin D supplements.

I have gone four years without even the sniffles. I'm not giving in now.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Coworkers dropping like flies for "food poisoning" lately.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
The sheer number of people at my work who have told me the past two days "Yeah so everybody in my family got sick after christmas" but in a tone that it's nbd and that's normal now.

I mean, I guess it is normal now but it shouldn't be. gently caress.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Oh, I totally have those. I've done the spray and two lozenges so far this evening; I'll have another before bed, and I'm about to hit the fancy mouthwash. I also need to find the vitamin D supplements.

don’t go nuts with the lozenges and give yourself an infection

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update.

Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.

pre:
Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.
County		Shed ID	Ref.	Date	Trend	7-Day Change
Jefferson	PT	(1)	Dec-27	UP	   + 15%
Mason		n/a	(1)	Dec-23	UP	   +180%
Skagit		ANA	(1)	Dec-28	UP	   + 50%
Skagit		MV	(1)	Dec-28	UP	   + 85%
Whatcom		LYN	(1)	Dec-28	UP	   + 55%
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]
Island		COUP	(1)	Dec-29	UP	   +160%
Island		OH	(1)	Dec-29	UP	   +140%
Snohomish	ARL	(1)	Dec-26	UP	   + 45%
Snohomish	EVR	(1)	Dec-27	UP	   + 15%
Snohomish	STAN	(1)	Dec-27	UP	   +100%
Snohomish	256	(3)	Dec-27	UP	   +270% <- !!
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]

pre:
King		BWT	(1)	Dec-27	UP	   +110%
King		KCS	(1)	Dec-27	UP	   + 55%
King		WSPT	(1)	Dec-26	STEADY	   ±  2%
South Puget Sound & Southwest

pre:
South Puget Sound & Southwest
County		Shed ID		Ref.	Date	Trend	7-Day Change
Clark		MRPK		(1)	Dec-27	UP	   + 45%
Clark		SNCK		(1)	Dec-28	UP	   + 55%
Clark		VWS & 2534	(1)&(2)	Dec-27	UP	   + 50%
Lewis		n/a		(1)	Dec-23	UP	   + 15%
Pierce		CC		(1)	Dec-29	UP	   +240% <- !!
Pierce		PUY		(1)	Dec-28	DOWN	   - 10%
Thurston	LOTT		(1)	Dec-27	UP	   + 50%
North & South Central Wash.

pre:
North & South Central Wash.
Benton		WRCH	(1)	Dec-28	DOWN	   - 85%
Chelan		WEN	(1)	Dec-28	UP	   + 30%
Grant		EPH	(1)	Dec-27	UP	   + 50%
Kittitas	ELL	(1)	Dec-28	UP	   + 30%
Okanogan	BRW	(1)	Dec-28	UP	   + 80%
Yakima		YAK	(1)	Dec-28	UP	   + 60%
Northeast & Southeast Wash.

pre:
Northeast & Southeast Wash.
Franklin	PAS	(1)	Dec-29	UP	   + 70%
Spokane		RP	(1)	Dec-29	UP	   + 70%
Spokane		SPK	(1)	Dec-29	UP	   + 70%
Walla Walla	WALLA	(1)	Dec-28	DOWN	   - 15%
Whitman		PLM	(1)	Dec-29	UP	   + 25%
References with links to details on data limitations, sampling methods, and normalization protocols:

Solid lines are generated from normalized and smoothed data provided by the Washington State Department of Health (WADoH Ref. (1) ), Verily/WastewaterSCAN (WWS Ref. (3) ), and Biobot (Ref. (4) ).

White diamond dots are from most recent CDC/NWSS (Ref. (2) ) data scaled to supplement missing or out-dated data when available.

Because each of these four groups use different normalization methods, different smoothing methods, and different averaging/location identifiers, the concentration of virus is not comparable between locations. See reference links at the bottom of this post for more details.

There are 33 sewersheds distributed across 6 charts grouped by region then alphabetized by county and sewershed. The tables below contain WADoH or NWSS/WSS IDs (to match their respective dashboards), Date last sampled, Trend (based on the change between the averages of the two most recent weeks), and 7-Day Change (approx. amount the trend has increased or decreased).

All data presented are smoothed in some degree to even out inconsistent sampling dates and extreme highs and lows. Most sewersheds are sampled 1-3 times a week and are published within a week. Some locations are late reporting by 10 days or more so be sure to note your sewershed's Date in the table or graph. Locations that are more than two weeks old will have n/a listed under Trend to indicate there it is out of date.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hungry Squirrel posted:

where’d you get the lozenges? I spent like 45 minutes staring at the wall o’supplements/probiotics in Whole Foods and nada.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zantie posted:

Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update.
(..)

Sure okay, so most of these are up. But that is a purely quantitative analysis. Any increase must be compensated fully and then some, by what we can surmise is 100% qualitatively true: the inherent mildness. Thus actually making for a sustained drop across board.

That's just science.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Happy to report that covid is finally over again:

After the precipitous fall towards the end of the year wastewater concentration now hit new lows, just above the highest previous peak.

Though curiously we hit max covid two weeks before the holidays started, so lmao to any kind of predictability. Maybe all the company christmas parties?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

genericnick posted:

(..)
Though curiously we hit max covid two weeks before the holidays started, so lmao to any kind of predictability. Maybe all the company christmas parties?

I think in Denmark too many people got too many diseases to keep it up, as all the diseases seemingly started dropping at the same time. Which was the week before Christmas and the week after the "20-30% of Danes currently sick" quote I posted a few weeks back.

Literally:

Edit to add the current status of respiratory diseases in Denmark. Note that the lowest R0 diseases started dropping a couple of weeks before the big dogs:

COVID
Daily new hospitalizations:

Cases capped out week 50-51, dropped week 52.

Influenza A+B
Weekly new hospitalizations by season:

Cases dropped ~1/3 between week 51 and 52.

RSV
Weekly new hospitalizations by season:

Cases capped out week 50-51, dropped week 52.

Mycoplasma
Weekly cases this season:

Weekly cases over time:

Cases capped out week 49, then started dropping.

Pertussis
Weekly cases last year:

Monthly cases over time:

Capped out week 48, then started dropping.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:22 on Jan 4, 2024

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Oracle posted:

where’d you get the lozenges? I spent like 45 minutes staring at the wall o’supplements/probiotics in Whole Foods and nada.

BLIS ThroatHealth Oral Probiotics, Most Potent K12 Probiotic Formula Available, 2.5 Billion CFU, Throat Immunity Support and Oral Health for Adults and Kids, Sugar-Free Lozenges, 30 Day Supply https://a.co/d/6jezVO5

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I don't think you are supposed to say that.
https://twitter.com/mvankerkhove/status/1741384952850125163

Nitter link to the whole thread:
https://nitter.net/mvankerkhove/status/1741384952850125163

This particular tweet deserves highlighting:
https://twitter.com/mvankerkhove/status/1741384975390318696#m

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:37 on Jan 4, 2024

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Monoclonal antibody treatment for pre-exposure (e.g. a potential Evusheld replacement) submitting EUA request:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/invivyd-submits-emergency-use-request-covid-preventive posted:

Invivyd submits emergency use request for COVID preventive

Invivyd, a biotechnology company based in Massachusetts, today announced that it has submitted a request with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for an emergency use authorization (EUA) for its monoclonal antibody to prevent COVID-19.

The drug, called VYD222, is a broadly neutralizing, half-life extended monoclonal antibody for pre-exposure use in immunocompromised adults and adolescents. In a statement, the company said the EUA filing is supported by a phase 3 trial and ongoing in vitro studies to assess its activity against SARS-CoV-2 variants such as JN.1. The clinical trials have been testing a 4,500-milligram dose given by intravenous infusion.
(..)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

yep we are never updating the name. one of the lessons of modern pandemic management

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

Monoclonal antibody treatment for pre-exposure (e.g. a potential Evusheld replacement) submitting EUA request:

How can you have emergency requests when there is no emergency?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

bedpan posted:

yep we are never updating the name. one of the lessons of modern pandemic management

To be fair, what would you name at this point:

it's a soup

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

genericnick posted:

it's a soup

The BA.2.86 children are rocking the competition worldwide:

One a related note, I think Raj is cracking.
https://twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1741547431597424710#m

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Jan 4, 2024

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

genericnick posted:

it's a soup

omega, obviously. since it is the last and weakest of the variants.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh lmao, I was curious and went to check out the CDC variant graph. They still haven't updated since Christmas?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Holiday vacay and sickness sabbatical season. Won't see updates until like mid month I bet lol.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

bedpan posted:

She just said they will update if needed. Like if people didn't take a currently dominating variant seriously because the WHO hadn't given it a Greek letter, they would simply update to give it one. Without hesitation.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Jan 4, 2024

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

NeonPunk posted:

Oh lmao, I was curious and went to check out the CDC variant graph. They still haven't updated since Christmas?

Eric Crackl-Ping was complaining about this yesterday

https://x.com/drericding/status/1742666257801875848?s=46&t=f1MRhF2xe8gNhr6WGxk_NA

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
https://twitter.com/sandervdraadt/status/1742669547025420565

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

imagine

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
imagine there's no covid
it's really hard to do

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

genericnick posted:

Happy to report that covid is finally over again:

/Austalianishly: Monumental drop off in cases just before Christmas, you say? Hold my beer ......

https://nitter.net/dbRaevn/status/1742291551018263037#m

D'OH

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Very thorough study trying to determine the cause of post-exertional malaise (PEM), as well as defining the condition in biological terms. I have tried cutting it down as much as I could (still a bit unsure if I should have kept the amyloid deposit stuff in; I'll just note that they were outside the vessels indicating they didn't form microclots), but nevertheless it is pretty long. Pretty pictures though and that's gotta count for something :P
"Muscle abnormalities worsen after post-exertional malaise in long COVID"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-44432-3 posted:

Abstract
A subgroup of patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 remain symptomatic over three months after infection. A distinctive symptom of patients with long COVID is post-exertional malaise, which is associated with a worsening of fatigue- and pain-related symptoms after acute mental or physical exercise, but its underlying pathophysiology is unclear. With this longitudinal case-control study (NCT05225688), we provide new insights into the pathophysiology of post-exertional malaise in patients with long COVID. We show that skeletal muscle structure is associated with a lower exercise capacity in patients, and local and systemic metabolic disturbances, severe exercise-induced myopathy and tissue infiltration of amyloid-containing deposits in skeletal muscles of patients with long COVID worsen after induction of post-exertional malaise. This study highlights novel pathways that help to understand the pathophysiology of post-exertional malaise in patients suffering from long COVID and other post-infectious diseases.
(..)
No participants were hospitalized due to SARS-CoV-2 infection.
(..)
Results
Limited exercise capacity in long COVID
(..)
The cardiovascular system was not compromised in long COVID patients (Supplemental Fig. 3D, E), suggesting that this system does not explain the limited exercise capacity in patients with long COVID.
(..)
Fig. 1: Lower exercise capacity in patients with long COVID.

Maximal pulmonary oxygen uptake (V̇O2max, A, n = 23 long COVID, n = 21 healthy control), peak power output (B, n = 25 long COVID, n = 21 healthy control) and gas exchange threshold (C, n = 23 long COVID, n = 21 healthy control) were all lower (p < 0.0001, p = 0.001 and p = 0.014, respectively)in patients with long COVID compared to healthy controls. D and E Muscle deoxygenated [heme] responses (mean ± SD) measured by near-infrared spectroscopy were lower (p = 0.023) in long COVID (n = 16), indicative of lower peripheral oxygen extraction during exercise compared to healthy controls (n = 18; excessive adipose tissue precluded data analysis in remaining participants). Continuous parametric data were analyzed using a two-sided t-test (panels A–C). Continuous parametric longitudinal data (mean ± SD; panels D and E) were analyzed with a generalized linear mixed model. p-values for panel D, E were determined with a two-sided ANOVA test. Dashed line (D) represents the average starting point of the exercise test. *p < 0.05; **p < 0.001. Box plots show the median (centerline), the first and third quartiles (the lower and upper bound of the box), and the whiskers show the 1.5× interquartile range. Source data are provided in the Source Data File.
(..)
Next, we assessed skeletal muscle structure and function to explain the lower exercise capacity in patients. Capillary density and the capillary-to-fiber ratio were not different between groups (Fig. 2A, B).
(..)
Collectively, our data indicate that the lower exercise capacity in long COVID patients is associated with a greater proportion of high-fatigable glycolytic fibers and lower mitochondrial function, with a possible additional limitation of a lower capillarization and the ventilatory system.
(..)
Fig. 2: Skeletal muscle alterations are associated with exercise capacity in patients with long COVID.

A and B examples of skeletal muscle capillaries; no group-differences in capillary density (p = 0.11) or capillary:fiber ratio (p = 0.08) were observed (n = 26 long COVID, n = 21 healthy control). C A significant association was found between capillary-to-fiber ratio and V̇O2max for both groups (n = 23 long COVID, p-value: 0.048, n = 21 healthy control, p-value: 0.007). D Patients with long COVID (n = 25) had a higher percentage (p-value: 0.036) of glycolytic type IIx compared to healthy controls (n = 21). E For a given fiber cross-sectional area (FCSA), patients with long COVID (n = 25) had a significantly lower peak power output (p-value: 0.045) as compared to healthy individuals (n = 21). F Succinate dehydrogenase (SDH) activity in sections (see also Fig. 3) was associated with maximal oxygen uptake consumption (V̇O2max) in healthy controls (n = 21, p-value: 0.0014), but not in long COVID patients (n = 23, p-value: 0.66), with significant different correlation coefficients. Continuous parametric data were analyzed using a two-sided t-test (B, D). Correlations were calculated using two-sided Pearson (C, E, F). The difference in intercept was calculated with a linear regression using a two-sided ANOVA (E). Correlation coefficients were compared using the R package cocor. *p < 0.05; **p < 0.001. Bar: 100 μm. Box plots show the median (centerline), the first and third quartiles (the lower and upper bound of the box), and the whiskers show the 1.5× interquartile range. Source data are provided in the Source Data File.

Fig. 3: Metabolic and mitochondrial dysfunction in long COVID patients worsens with post-exertional malaise.

A Oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS) capacity was significantly lower in patients with long COVID (n = 25) compared to healthy controls (n = 21), and remained lower one day after induction of post-exertional malaise (PEM) in patients (Group: p = 0.003, Time: p < 0.001). B Succinate dehydrogenase (SDH) activity, a marker for mitochondrial density, was not different between groups (p = 0.06) and only reduced (p = 0.0083) after induction of post-exertional malaise in long COVID patients (n = 25) compared to healthy controls (n = 21). A typical example of the SDH activity is shown in panel C. Skeletal muscle (D) and venous (E) metabolome pathways indicate slightly higher levels of metabolites related to glycolysis, and a lower abundance of metabolites related to purine synthesis and the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle, indicative of a lower reliance on oxidative metabolism in patients with long COVID (n = 25, both timepoints) as compared to healthy (n = 19, both timepoints). Faded names were not measured and shown for clarity. A higher effect size in long COVID is shown in red, lower effect size in blue. Continuous parametric longitudinal data (panels A, B, D, E) were analyzed with a generalized linear mixed model with a two-sided ANOVA. Post-hoc tests comparing each group were performed when the interaction term was significant and was performed using emmeans with BH adjustment (panels A and B). Effect sizes (D and E) were calculated with Hedges‘ g *p < 0.05; **p < 0.001; †p < 0.05 indicates a significant interaction effect. Bar: 50 μm. PEM post-exertional malaise. Box plots show the median (centerline), the first and third quartiles (the lower and upper bound of the box), and the whiskers show the 1.5× interquartile range. Source data are provided in the Source Data File.

Metabolic dysfunction and post-exertional malaise
To understand peripheral factors contributing to the development of post-exertional malaise, we obtained vastus lateralis muscle biopsies before and one day after the induction of post-exertional malaise. All long COVID patients experienced post-exertional malaise following maximal exercise, despite considerable heterogeneity in exercise capacity. Symptoms included muscle pain, greater severity of fatigue, and cognitive symptoms up to 7 days after maximal exercise (Table 2, Supplemental Fig. 2A, B). To systematically assess whether metabolic and mitochondrial dysfunction is associated with the pathophysiology of post-exertional malaise, we measured mitochondrial respiration and metabolomic signatures in skeletal muscle before and one day after the induction of post-exertional malaise. Mitochondrial respiration was assessed in hyperoxic conditions to avoid diffusion limitation for oxygen that could contribute to exercise intolerance in vivo. Oxidative phosphorylation capacity decreased one day following the maximal exercise in both controls and patients (Fig. 3A). SDH activity was not reduced in healthy controls one day after exercise, but was reduced in the long COVID patients, suggesting that the combination of a reduced maximal mitochondrial respiration and decreased mitochondrial content are part of the pathophysiology of post-exertional malaise.
(..)
From these analyses, we conclude that TCA cycle metabolites were lower in skeletal muscle and blood in long COVID patients, but did not change during post-exertional malaise. Venous blood glycolytic metabolites were higher at baseline and during post-exertional malaise but decreased one week after the induction of post-exertional malaise.
(..)
Exercise-induced amyloid-containing deposit accumulation in skeletal muscle
(..)
Therefore, we conclude that post-exertional malaise cannot be explained by the hypothesis that these deposits block vessel perfusion, causing local tissue hypoxia. The underlying reason for the increased intramuscular accumulation of amyloid-containing deposits during post-exertional malaise remains elusive.
(..)
Exercise-induced myopathy in long COVID
To further elucidate the pathophysiology of increased muscle weakness, fatigue, and pain after exercise in long COVID patients, we determined whether specific pathological features were present in skeletal muscle before and after the induction of post-exertional malaise. As the biopsy size was variable between participants and time-points, we scored biopsies negative/positive for pathological and immunological parameters. A larger percentage of long COVID patients displayed small atrophic fibers and focal necrosis (Fig. 5A, B), which increased significantly after exercise, indicating an exacerbated tissue damage response in patients with long COVID. Since skeletal muscle is a plastic tissue, signs of skeletal muscle regeneration, such as centralized nuclei (Fig. 5C), were more evident in long COVID patients, also before the induction of post-exertional malaise. Acutely regenerating fibers, evidenced by central nuclei and a basophilic cytoplasm, were seen in biopsies from both groups (Fig. 5D), and exhaustive exercise increased the proportion of regenerating fibers in both healthy controls and long COVID patients without group differences. We conclude that severe exercise-induced muscle damage and subsequent regeneration are associated with the pathophysiology of post-exertional malaise, and can possibly explain muscle pain, fatigue, and weakness in patients with long COVID experiencing post-exertional malaise.

Fig. 5: Pathological features in skeletal muscle in patients with long COVID.

A Very small and angulated atrophic fibers were more abundant in patients with long COVID and in the post-exercise biopsy in both groups (Group: p < 0.001). B Large areas of necrotic fibers were observed in 36% of patients with long COVID after exhaustive exercise (Group p-value: 0.09, as compared to healthy controls. C Internal nuclei, indicative of fiber repair, were significantly more abundant (Group: p = 0.002) in the skeletal muscle of patients with long COVID, but did not increase during post-exertional malaise (PEM). D Regenerative fibers were not different between groups, but were more abundant in the post-exercise biopsy (Time: p < 0.001). E: More patients with long COVID had CD3+ T-cell infiltration (Group: p = 0.046). F The presence of CD68+ macrophages was higher in long COVID patients (Group: p = 0.03). G CD20+ B-cells were not abundantly present in skeletal muscle. All panels: n = 25 long COVID, n = 21 healthy controls. Categorical longitudinal data were analyzed using logistic regression with “time” as a covariate. Post-hoc comparisons (E) were using the Empirical Mean Differences using R package emmeans with BH adjustment. Bar: 100 μm. Abbreviation: PEM; post-exertional malaise. Source data are provided in the Source Data File.
(..)
Discussion
(..)
As such, we conclude that the pathophysiology of fatigue and a reduced exercise capacity is distinct from the rapid development of post-exertional malaise in long COVID patients. The development of post-exertional malaise could in turn, however, lead to a further reduction in exercise capacity in patients, as the acute reduction in mitochondrial SDH activity, occurrence of tissue necrosis, and possibly intramuscular accumulation of amyloid-containing deposits could worsen skeletal muscle metabolism and force production over time, causing a vicious downward circle.
(..)
Both groups presented with more regenerating fibers following the second biopsy, indicating a possible effect of the first biopsy. Despite this, long COVID patients had more internal nuclei, atrophic fibers, and focal necrosis after induction of post-exertional malaise compared to healthy controls. Skeletal muscle atrophy and focal necrosis can occur during severe acute SARS-CoV-2 infection, but this is the first study providing evidence of severe tissue damage upon acute exercise in long COVID patients. The higher skeletal muscle infiltration of CD68+ macrophages and CD3+ T-cells suggests a locally disturbed immune response in patients with long COVID.
(..)
In conclusion, this study reveals that local and systemic metabolic disturbances, severe exercise-induced myopathy, infiltration of amyloid-containing deposits, and immune cells in skeletal muscles of long COVID are key characteristics of post-exertional malaise. While these explain the symptomatology of post-exertional malaise in long COVID, the molecular pathways underlying these alterations in patients suffering from post-exertional malaise remain to be determined.
(..)

News article on the matter:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/04/people-with-long-covid-should-avoid-intense-exercise-say-researchers posted:

Long Covid causes changes in body that make exercise debilitating – study
Experts say severe muscle damage, mitochondrial problems and microclots may explain impact of working out

Results relate to the study posted here:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Jan 4, 2024

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

/Austalianishly: Monumental drop off in cases just before Christmas, you say? Hold my beer ......
(..)

Woah! Almost wiped it out!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

covid

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

genericnick posted:

it's a soup

Sigma variant

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

Very thorough study trying to determine the cause of post-exertional malaise (PEM), as well as defining the condition in biological terms. I have tried cutting it down as much as I could (still a bit unsure if I should have kept the amyloid deposit stuff in; I'll just note that they were outside the vessels indicating they didn't form microclots), but nevertheless it is pretty long. Pretty pictures though and that's gotta count for something :P
"Muscle abnormalities worsen after post-exertional malaise in long COVID"

News article on the matter:

Results relate to the study posted here:

Resting for a month after your infection advice still applies. I wonder what's the best way to call this kind of thing, mitochondria injury?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

Resting for a month after your infection advice still applies. I wonder what's the best way to call this kind of thing, mitochondria injury?

Mitochondrial dysfunction (is the term) is a part of it, but not to exclusion it seems. At the very least some kind of inflammation seems present. I didn't include it in the post, but the authors were not able to distinguish if people had persistent (or just prior) infections, which is certainly present in some people and could be causing continual inflammation.

Either way, it is a big step and any study showing measurable biomarkers is extremely important to further define and refine the condition.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

The CDC site very clearly says that the variant forecast is updated every other week on Friday. So they'll probably publish their regularly scheduled update by the end of this week.

And the CDC NWSS wastewater level data was updated on 12/28 (just under a week ago), for wastewater collected on 12/23. That's better than Biobot, which last updated on 12/23 for wastewater collected on 12/18.

I wouldn't complain if they had more frequent updates, but it seems silly to accuse them of taking extended vacations.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's fine to complain. I mean if the states gave forest fire fighters a week vacation off for 4th of July, I would also be complaining.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Wildfires are endemic.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Zantie posted:

What I love about the Kent to Sammamish watershed graph is that its pretty much been sitting around peak levels since the beginning of November, except in the last few weeks where that peak has been blown out in favor of a new, much higher peak. So now retroactively it looks like the past two months was only medium-bad. Feels like a synecdoche for our contemporary age!

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

NeonPunk posted:

It's fine to complain. I mean if the states gave forest fire fighters a week vacation off for 4th of July, I would also be complaining.
I guess, but my point is that so far they're adhering to their established schedules, with no vacation-related delays at all

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
UP(!!)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Phlag posted:

I guess, but my point is that so far they're adhering to their established schedules, with no vacation-related delays at all

It's not like winter has never been known to be famously known for spread of illness.

It's just a example of institutions crumbling down if they can't even schedule staffs to work during one of the most important time of the year that the very institution is supposed to serve a role in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

covid is playing chess and just made a brilliant move !