Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For you Intune and Azure AD nerds, what does your day to day work look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

For a good while our passwords had to be exactly 8 characters. The union of the maximum length for HP-UX and the minimum for Active Directory. I got a little chuckle out of it every time I had to change my password.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Hughmoris posted:

I'm probably not a representative sample, but mostly going "oh that would be nice if my boss wasn't a technophobic control freak" followed by trying to unfuck what the greybeard that doesn't understand intune and is trying to beat it into GPOs from the 90s has done recently.

Then I do software deployment testing and curse the jank rear end software I'm forced to support, then I might write a powershell script while weeping tears of blood.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

I'm probably not a representative sample, but mostly going "oh that would be nice if my boss wasn't a technophobic control freak" followed by trying to unfuck what the greybeard that doesn't understand intune and is trying to beat it into GPOs from the 90s has done recently.

Then I do software deployment testing and curse the jank rear end software I'm forced to support, then I might write a powershell script while weeping tears of blood.

This seems pretty accurate. Though for us it's usually not new janky crap it's untangling old garbage and getting it out of that lovely GPO running a nested series of batch files and/or powershell scripts.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

skipdogg posted:

What was the timeline on the acquisition? In my personal experience, having been through 3 acquisitions (company was acquired each time), there are generally 3 distinct rounds of layoffs after an event like this.

Yeah this is my third acquisition as well. And your breakdown of the rounds matches up with my experiences the last two times this has happened at places I've worked.

Honestly, I don't expect my team to deal with much beyond the usual integration stuff which we're already dealing with. Worst case scenario, they lay me and my team off a year from now, but I'm doubtful this comes to pass without any kind of warning signs since my team supports a niche division that is stupid profitable. So unless they start telling us we need to start training their IT people on how to support some of our field equipment, or stop hiring field personal for our niche unit, I'm not terribly worried.

And even if they do lay me off in another year, at that point I'll have 1.5 years of experience in this job and hopefully will have an easier time moving to a new gig since I'm no longer green to the field. Especially now that I've got my CCNA and my boss is letting me get my feet wet doing network admin stuff. There was a network engineer (more of an admin) role that was open on our team but we had to close right after I was hired due to said acquisition. My boss has said his intent is to re-open it as soon as he can this year, and has said so long as I earn my CCNA and show that I'm capable, he'd be more than happy to promote me into it. So time will tell on that one.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://training.linuxfoundation.org/certification/cilium-certified-associate-cca/

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Hughmoris posted:

My typical day…

Spend half my day typing up answers to questions on Reddit only to just cancel the post because it’s falling on deaf ears.

Another hour spent reading up on what Microsoft renamed last night or what licensing changes they made.

Around 430pm I check to see who tried to slide in a new account creation at the end of the day for somebody starting tomorrow.

Small company (300ish users) but I spend very little time actually reviewing application requests/fixing permissions/updating applications. I spend more time under security reviewing the day’s quarantine list and whatever action MDE flagged. I too would be interested in hearing what those at bigger places do.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cyks posted:

My typical day…

Spend half my day typing up answers to questions on Reddit only to just cancel the post because it’s falling on deaf ears.

Another hour spent reading up on what Microsoft renamed last night or what licensing changes they made.

Around 430pm I check to see who tried to slide in a new account creation at the end of the day for somebody starting tomorrow.

Small company (300ish users) but I spend very little time actually reviewing application requests/fixing permissions/updating applications. I spend more time under security reviewing the day’s quarantine list and whatever action MDE flagged. I too would be interested in hearing what those at bigger places do.

please give me ur job thnx

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Cyks posted:

My typical day…

The correct answer is “everything”

I’m in a position where I have to be brand appropriate and refer to the IDP that Microsoft offers, and I still haven’t gotten used to calling it Entra ID in my video call patter.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Iron Rose posted:

If you think none of the above concepts can be applied to domains other than self-developed software you’re living up to your username more than usual.

As someone who has worked with more companies, doing legit impactful work and not weird one-off capex projects, than most of you will ever be employed by in your entire lifetimes, Fool is right in this case and you are devastatingly wrong here. The rest of your points are good, but there are entire verticals where none of the poo poo you’re talking about matters in the slightest unless you are willing to lie to yourself and an organization about definitions and measurable outcomes and, most importantly, the value of bothering to do it to the business. You can do all that in a vacuum and pat yourself on the back but it’s not going to mean poo poo.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i just want a 150k job for no work is that so hard

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
depends on your ethics

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

i am a moron posted:

As someone who has worked with more companies, doing legit impactful work and not weird one-off capex projects, than most of you will ever be employed by in your entire lifetimes, Fool is right in this case and you are devastatingly wrong here. The rest of your points are good, but there are entire verticals where none of the poo poo you’re talking about matters in the slightest unless you are willing to lie to yourself and an organization about definitions and measurable outcomes and, most importantly, the value of bothering to do it to the business. You can do all that in a vacuum and pat yourself on the back but it’s not going to mean poo poo.

With love and respect, oh impactful capex god - did David Cameron really gently caress that pig head? And all the weird McKinsey dudes have weird dicks, right? I mean Mayor Pete obvs does, but do they self select for weird undergrads or just factory farm them and send the rejects to Rikers?

I’m just assuming that you worked for McKinsey obvs, what with all that legit impactful work, because lol it’s not like it could be Tata Consulting.

In all seriousness - and apologies for being a little mean above, the post was just begging for it, no hard feelings - I think we’re all moving the goal posts here. and in fact I’m about to right now!

I am arguing for labor-saving, resilient, observable, repeatable, data generating quantitative system design. These are I feel good goals to have pretty much regardless of what you’re trying to do, and should be applied to many more domains than just DevOps cloud bullshit. yes obviously there are caveats and trade offs and moral considerations. Just because you can optimize production of a sweatshop or the practices of Cambodian Bitcoin slave scam farms doesn’t mean you should, and all this engineering bullshit means very little to creative types doing it for the soul of art or whatever. And yes, trade offs exist! Sometimes you just got to ship the thing, deliver the piece of poo poo project, do blow with the CEO, make a literal easy button for a sales critter or click a prompt in the goddamn EC2 console. Speed (velocity, powder based, etc) is a valid trade off too.

But there are quite a lot of industry verticals that would benefit from better systems engineering practices, and at the most basic level, all I’m trying to say is that those system engineering practices we learn in the course of doing DevOps bullshit might be useful in ways you might not expect or appreciate. Like in, say traditional IT sysops, which is where we were talking about applying them in the first place.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 4, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

:lol: at "maybe you should check up on new Best Practices once a decade" getting this much pushback.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

Log on, check defender and purview alert notification on outlook, open admin center and check all the news about feature add and removal, go on defender and check low priority incidents, then wait for support requests to come in.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Iron Rose posted:

With love and respect, oh impactful capex god - did David Cameron really gently caress that pig head? And all the weird McKinsey dudes have weird dicks, right? I mean Mayor Pete obvs does, but do they self select for weird undergrads or just factory farm them and send the rejects to Rikers?

I’m just assuming that you worked for McKinsey obvs, what with all that legit impactful work, because lol it’s not like it could be Tata Consulting.

In all seriousness - and apologies for being a little mean above, the post was just begging for it, no hard feelings - I think we’re all moving the goal posts here. and in fact I’m about to right now!

I am arguing for labor-saving, resilient, observable, repeatable, data generating quantitative system design. These are I feel good goals to have pretty much regardless of what you’re trying to do, and should be applied to many more domains than just DevOps cloud bullshit. yes obviously there are caveats and trade offs and moral considerations. Just because you can optimize production of a sweatshop or the practices of Cambodian Bitcoin slave scam farms doesn’t mean you should, and all this engineering bullshit means very little to creative types doing it for the soul of art or whatever. And yes, trade offs exist! Sometimes you just got to ship the thing, deliver the piece of poo poo project, do blow with the CEO, make a literal easy button for a sales critter or click a prompt in the goddamn EC2 console. Speed (velocity, powder based, etc) is a valid trade off too.

But there are quite a lot of industry verticals that would benefit from better systems engineering practices, and at the most basic level, all I’m trying to say is that those system engineering practices we learn in the course of doing DevOps bullshit might be useful in ways you might not expect or appreciate. Like in, say traditional IT sysops, which is where we were talking about applying them in the first place.

lol i think you misread something here. I just meant I get embedded with teams on their day-to-day and I’m not doing weird one-off pro services stuff. Fool is right and you can write all the novels you want about it if you want it doesn’t change the reality of how companies operate. I have never worked for a Big 4.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 4, 2024

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

And the teams I’m lucky to work with are in places where modern practices take root because of the way their business uses technology. The ones I hate working with could just dump all of their tech infrastructure and go back to pen and paper and not miss a beat, and they could care less about any of this poo poo and wouldn’t pay for it anyways. You can write all the weirdly aggressive diatribes about it that you want, those enterprises exist and their people are gainfully employed and will continue to be for a long time.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

The Fool posted:

There exists enterprises that don't do their own app development and none of this actually applies.

I disagree with this take as well. I can't count how many times, across many jobs, having software configuration be checked in to git for versioning, change control, code review and poo poo would have gone a long way in preventing gently caress ups. Nevermind throwing those deployments into pipelines which would have been another great add.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

i am a moron posted:

You can write all the weirdly aggressive diatribes about it that you want

To me it looks like you’re doing the same.

At this point I’m not sure what y’all are arguing about though. All the best practices and methodologies TIR mentioned are generally (some probably unanimously) accepted as “a good way to do IT”.

There are plenty of companies that only do a few of those things and plenty who don’t do any of them. As far as I can tell the point was that these companies would benefit from starting to apply some of those things to make things more stable/resilient (and life for employees less misrable, see: tokin). (Edit: what sepist said, this poo poo is a game changer even if you use off the shelf stuff. Still got deploy that consistently or deal with pet servers)

If someone is looking for advice on how to improve their career, it makes sense to point them into the direction of “a good way to do IT”, which is what TIR was doing. Nobody is saying it’s the only way to improve your career, but it is likely the one that will give better/more opportunities. If you are familiar with coding, git, ci/cd, observability you can work at companies that do all those things but you can also work at companies who don’t do all these things. You probably don’t want to, but you still can.

I think we all know there are plenty of companies who are happy doing the bare minimum with regards to IT and people who are fine working there. I’m sure there will be plenty of places you can get employed. As time goes by the amount of these will shrink and if you don’t learn some new things your potential job market will shrink too. There’s still a demand for COBOL today, but if you know Python, Java or .NET you’ve got a lot more options.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 4, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate spending my day massaging puppet manifests but then I lean back and reflect on how before config management all tasks were shell commands in a mediawiki instance that I was expected to cut and paste manually into a shell (interspersed with commentary so I couldn't copy the whole block at once). Definitely better off now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

David Cameron 100% hosed a dead pigs head

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’m just mad that I don’t have a minor point to argue with goons about

Maybe I can nitpick someone’s vocabulary or maybe we can get jaeger in here to sexually harass IE some more or something like our goon lord intended

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm swapping out 10 gig DAC cables for 25 gig DAC cables today. Then in a few weeks I'm installing a Netapp. How can the CI/CD pipelines help me.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

LochNessMonster posted:

To me it looks like you’re doing the same.

Am I moving off the point (that there are plenty of jobs out there where modern platform/software/whatever practices don’t apply) and attacking people with off base multi paragraph personal attacks? Lmao

GreenNight posted:

I'm swapping out 10 gig DAC cables for 25 gig DAC cables today. Then in a few weeks I'm installing a Netapp. How can the CI/CD pipelines help me.

Oh what you aren’t going to spend multiple days/weeks getting something set up for a one off deployment? Jeez buddy

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

GreenNight posted:

Move your backup requirements to the cloud

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Sepist posted:

Last I checked there are NetApp services that are still exclusively clickops even in ~*the cloud*~

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sepist posted:

We back up locally and then archive to the cloud. Our workloads are not a very good use case for cloud migration even though we do have a solid cloud presence. Citrix VDI that requires 4GB GPU is unbelievably expensive in the cloud for 100 people.

We also have workloads that are done in a black room that requires a security clearance.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Use a more DevOps friendly storage solution :shrug:

(this conversation is all in jest, please don't make it a thing)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Na, all good. My forte is on site system administration which everyone says is going away but I found quite a few are still looking for this skillset.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
DevOps principles can be applied just about anywhere, even if you're not writing and deploying your own software. Unfortunately all the material on DevOps is centered around deploying your own software. So it can be difficult to learn those concepts of none of the into material available is really applicable to your situation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there is a whole lot of agitation itt from me just pointing out that a thing exists

was I being mildly hyperbolic? yes
can devops principles be applies to things like endpoint management and config management? sure
is this type of post really annoying? you betcha

my point, which seems to have been almost entirely missed is that organizations exist where it is extremely difficult to apply devops principles and we tend to completely disregard them

but they still exist

additionally, it has been a long standing frustration of mine, that despite The Iron Rose's high minded ideals, the reality is that the vast majority of writing on devops is done so with the model of application publishing in mind and if you are a single tech in a sea of old windows servers it is difficult to see how ci/cd, idempotence, and "shift left" is going to help you

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

DevOps principles can be applied just about anywhere, even if you're not writing and deploying your own software. Unfortunately all the material on DevOps is centered around deploying your own software. So it can be difficult to learn those concepts of none of the into material available is really applicable to your situation.

not empty quoting

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It stands for Open Systems Interconnection, and it's about to make a big comeback baby!

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Big "Why would I use powershell when I can create AD accounts through the GUI" energy ITT :corsair:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thats not what anyone is actually saying, thanks for playing

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

The Fool posted:

thats not what anyone is actually saying, thanks for playing

they were being mildly hyperbolic

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Honey Im Homme posted:

Big "Why would I use powershell when I can create AD accounts through the GUI" energy ITT :corsair:

Giving me flashbacks to my IT job with the army. One million accounts in AD. Sometimes it would take minutes for the GUI to load. Once we learned we could do everything we needed to in powershell there was no going back

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My company's infra team explicitly has no dev ops. We outsource literally everything including managing our ITIL.

Recently we implemented, using a VAR, a new identity product to try and have a singular location for downstream automation.

We went through 4 PMs in the project, nothing was added or expected when it comes to change control, we have no development source code and the prod code and dev code is forked or branched or whatever.

Having just a git repository or similar for the infra team would have definitely helped with some pains on the product. Probably would have resulted in actual code review too. Our VAR ended up not writing any of the code, the vendor does not have our code, the guy who wrote the code is no longer with the vendor. I'm going to have to do a complete rewrite as the logging function taken from an implementation with the Kraft company can't handle our scale and results in at least a monthly outage and all returning users are created with null UPNs. If I were to do the rewrite I would have to do it as shadow IT since infra has no development space.

We went live regardless of some very massive shortfalls to do a checkbox for sox and external audit. We are certainly worse off, but the sr leadership conversations and check boxes matter a hell of a lot more than the actual function of the business or quality of work done. I'll find out in two weeks if we are going to fail our audit. We will if they chose the right user to audit.

This is a majority of company's from enterprise to small repair shops in my experience. If a team wants to adhere to devops practices usually tools are not even available. If I took initiative to fix these issues without a project I would be on the hook for the pending failure.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Honey Im Homme posted:

Offboarding accounts in AAD using the GUI is better than powershell hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

i just want a 150k job for no work is that so hard

It's not! The trick is to get hired as an IT Manager (title inflated to IT Director) with the expectation that you'd be doing a fair amount of hands on work, go on vacation for 3 weeks before starting, have the guy who hired you get fired 1 week into the role then have the replacement want to lean on 3rd party vendors more heavily thus leaving you in a scenario where you've sort of slipped through the cracks in responsibility.

I have zero reports
I don't do any real sysadminy work since our vendors do it.
We have a project manager that does the heavy lifting of scheduling and keeping the vendors on track
I get paid 160k

Bing bong so simple