Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

tadashi posted:

Help. The Reds are winning the off-season.

You can't give Frankie Montas 16 million a year and win anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGD_sS3YSXg&t=169s

Pedro was correct. Yamamoto throws a splitter about 25% of the time (in NPB), and it's his main out pitch. The Dodgers are probably going to have to work him in on strict IP/pitch counts for a season or two.

e: Or cut down his splitter usage like Ohtani did

Gausman throws his splitter 35% or so and is fine

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He does that leg thing to distract his UCL.

I think the thrust of it is that it's a big adjustment coming over to the big leagues from Japan and they don't throw as much during a season. Ohtani pitched, what, 10 games before he blew out his arm in '18? I'm just saying don't expect 200 IP out of Yamamoto this year.

The Dodgers appear to be wary about this, at any rate

quote:

Yoshinobu Yamamoto will have two opportunities to opt out of his record $325 million, 12-year contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, although the timing is tied to his pitching elbow's health.

If Yamamoto has Tommy John surgery or is on the injured list for a right elbow injury for 134 consecutive service days from 2024 to '29, he would have the right to opt out after the 2031 and 2033 World Series, according to terms of the deal obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

If he avoids Tommy John surgery and doesn't miss that much time with an elbow issue during that window, he can instead opt out after the 2029 and 2031 World Series.

In the first scenario, the Dodgers would gain a $10 million conditional option for 2036 with no buyout.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 3, 2024

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Remember that time John Lackey pitched for the league minimum for the Cards because he signed a dumb contract with the Red Sox before they traded him?
I really thought he'd just sit out that season in protest. I'm not sure if I respect him for pitching that year or not.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

mcmagic posted:

You can't give Frankie Montas 16 million a year and win anything.

You sound like you might be unfamiliar with the National League Central Division.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1742674184424300853

Seems like Preller finally got around to reading Moneyball after Seidler died.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

He does that leg thing to distract his UCL.

I think the thrust of it is that it's a big adjustment coming over to the big leagues from Japan and they don't throw as much during a season. Ohtani pitched, what, 10 games before he blew out his arm in '18? I'm just saying don't expect 200 IP out of Yamamoto this year.

The Dodgers appear to be wary about this, at any rate

I completely believe the frequency of starting is real not necessarily the innings pitched total.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

live with fruit posted:

Woo Suk Go is my dating strategy

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Cool, it's about time for a new thread title :golfclap:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I completely believe the frequency of starting is real not necessarily the innings pitched total.

In the r/baseball thread about it, someone was saying that the Mets helped to ease Senga in by giving him extra rest

e: tho that is a lot of starts. For comparison sake, Framber threw 198 over 31 starts

e2: Yamamoto had 162 IP in 23 nbp games last year.

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 4, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:eyepop:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

live with fruit posted:

Seems like a decent deal, along with the Matsui one. I'm just wondering when they are going to add another outfielder or starting pitcher.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

excellent

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Seems like a decent deal, along with the Matsui one. I'm just wondering when they are going to add another outfielder or starting pitcher.

There's going to be a lot of players still available in February.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

In the r/baseball thread about it, someone was saying that the Mets helped to ease Senga in by giving him extra rest

e: tho that is a lot of starts. For comparison sake, Framber threw 198 over 31 starts

e2: Yamamoto had 162 IP in 23 nbp games last year.
The Dodgers already use off days and roster shuffling to give all their starters extra rest as much as possible.

Kershaw for example only started on 4 days (i.e. regular) rest four times last year, compared to 20 starts on extra rest.

Bobby Miller also only had 4 regular-rest starts.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

lmfao

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Lmao

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1742694684378415449

Ah

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

live with fruit posted:

There's going to be a lot of players still available in February.

True. This is a Boras bumper crop of free agents.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

What the gently caress is up with those moms

Wander is obviously the worst person in the story but his mom delivering hush money to her mom is wild

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

wrigleyville playboy spotted hell yeah :cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTp3mpBfQ4U

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Intruder posted:

What the gently caress is up with those moms

Wander is obviously the worst person in the story but his mom delivering hush money to her mom is wild
It's a poor country.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Yeah that's fair

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Still some Namond’s mom poo poo

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

If someone already hasn't, this needs to be a gif.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Still some Namond’s mom poo poo
Arguably the most despicable character on The Wire

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://x.com/Braves/status/1742926524918235273?s=20

well, ok

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
loving braves foundation

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They got him for a song

quote:

Chris Sale will only cost $500K in 2024 because the Sox will cover $17 million of his salary this year, and the other $10 million is deferred until 2039. He also has a club option of $20 million in 2025, which would be the exact price of Charlie Morton, who came over in 2020.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Braves seem way, way too confident in the health of a guy who has pitched a total of 150 innings since 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Yankees offerd Montas 8mm and thought they had him coming back and they are apparently super upset that the Reds paid him 16 lmao

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees offerd Montas 8mm and thought they had him coming back and they are apparently super upset that the Reds paid him 16 lmao

8m would have been an overpay, 16 is laughable

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fans these days need a net smh

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

zoux posted:

Fans these days need a net smh

I couldn't imagine what would happen nowadays if a player punched a lemonade boy in the face "splitting his lip and loosening teeth".

Also I wonder what the rude gesture heinie zimmerman made that would make men blush

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Braves seem way, way too confident in the health of a guy who has pitched a total of 150 innings since 2019
It’s an October gamble. They don’t need him to win the division, they just hope they can squeeze four or five starts out of him in October. If so, it’s worth it for them.

It’s a perhaps more extreme version of the Dodgers and Glasnow (or Rich Hill, or Kershaw, etc)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

I couldn't imagine what would happen nowadays if a player punched a lemonade boy in the face "splitting his lip and loosening teeth".

Also I wonder what the rude gesture heinie zimmerman made that would make men blush

The jack-in-the-box middle finger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

zoux posted:

The jack-in-the-box middle finger

i thought it might be a crotch grab or something like that

EDIT: but did they do that in 1905 or whatever year this is?