Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I tried playing DA1 a while back and didn't have any issues running it, but it was a very unpleasant game to play in 2023. I made it through the noble dwarf starting dungeon before getting tired of fighting the camera and controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
DA1 makes me really mad because by the standards of its time it was a pretty neat and impressive game that I wanted to see them iterate on and improve instead of completely abandoning that genre of game and pivoting hard into whatever the hell you'd call DA2 and DAI's gameplay.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dont worry im sure no matter how bioware might have chosen to iterate on it it would still have blown rear end

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragon Age games had mages be good and sword and board be bad so Im glad they're dead.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Colonel posted:

dont worry im sure no matter how bioware might have chosen to iterate on it it would still have blown rear end

Yeah, probably. Basically every game they've made in the last 20 years is worse and less interesting than what came before, and they weren't exactly starting from the masterpiece level.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barudak posted:

Dragon Age games had mages be good and sword and board be bad so Im glad they're dead.

Untrue. You could have a mage be sword and board and be the best tank in the game in Origins.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

too lazy to bump the shadowverse thread but since we talk about it here often for some reason... look at the reddit today and everyone is complaining about mysteria in the new expanison and mysteria being too OP...

sounds like its time to be pulled back in B)

Yeah, Mysteria is a T0 deck right now. There's a temporary deck for Mysteria too so you don't have to spend many vials to get a meta Mysteria deck.

I will say, it's pretty likely that it gets nerfed within a week. The deck is capable of OTK'ing people on T6 going first which is usually not something that gets to last for long unless the rest of the deck is horrendous.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Untrue. You could have a mage be sword and board and be the best tank in the game in Origins.

This was also true in inquisition at launch. I solod the ultimate boss with the tank mage, a class I picked entirely presuming mage would still be completely broken

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqUUHfosFoo

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I started playing Astlibra and this first boss is stomping my rear end pretty hard.

I'm whacking it as much as I can with my hammer and using the fire dragon possession to get in damage defensively. Am I missing something? I feel like I'm doing no damage at all.

EDIT: And as per tradition, the moment I bitch about it online I manage to figure it out.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 4, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

I'm set on starting and finishing Dragon Age Inquisition this time, dammit.

Has anybody played around with a good number of classes and specializations in the game, and if so can you make a recommendation for which one to go with?

I enjoy playing the game with a controller and Reaver as my class. You can just rip and tear through enemies and not have to worry much about targeting or anything.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Vandar posted:

I started playing Astlibra and this first boss is stomping my rear end pretty hard.

I'm whacking it as much as I can with my hammer and using the fire dragon possession to get in damage defensively. Am I missing something? I feel like I'm doing no damage at all.

EDIT: And as per tradition, the moment I bitch about it online I manage to figure it out.

Yeah it's basically a 'hit it in the head' scenario, combined with 'spam your skills whenever you got one ready to go'.

Astlibra's gameplay loop is pretty simple - each chapter you go to a new zone that tends to not actually be very big or complex (chapter 3's layout feels more like an exception). Getting through it is not the issue, instead it's grinding out the equipment and the gear for the equipment so you can get all those sweet skills. I played with a treasure guide and I don't regret it.

In fact I just hit postgame and WEW. Maybe I want to take a break for a week or so before I really get properly into this. Just cleared postgame swamp to see where things go.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Started up Undernauts the other day. Not my first time with this dev's games so there's a lot of familiar ground here but hey, it's a tried and true formula. Having a pretty good time with it except for the part where it chews through my Switch's battery life like crazy. I swear I get more battery life from TotK than this!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Artificial Dream in Arcadia really wastes no time showing off smt dungeon greatest hits, huh

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Leraika posted:

Artificial Dream in Arcadia really wastes no time showing off smt dungeon greatest hits, huh

How many dungeons do you have to go through before you hit a teleporter maze?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Ethiser posted:

How many dungeons do you have to go through before you hit a teleporter maze?

there's a post-dungeon section in the first 'real' dungeon (palace of the earth spirits/blazing hell) that's a teleporter maze, and the second dungeon is a teleporter maze. palace of the earth spirits also has poison floors, summon juice draining floors, and darkness floors where your menu stops working

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ytlaya posted:

I enjoy playing the game with a controller and Reaver as my class. You can just rip and tear through enemies and not have to worry much about targeting or anything.

Yep I tried playing with both controller and KB+M, and even though I almost always prefer KB+M in every situation, DA:I was so obviously designed for a controller that I it's easier just to use one.

Warrior is ok so far. It's not great at the beginning of the game when all of your cooldowns take forever and you don't hit hard, but later it should open up into something cooler once I get some cooldown reduction and better abilities.

The game's art style looks good though, the graphics still hold up pretty well for the game's age, and the combat is really weighty and explosive, so that stuff is cool.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 4, 2024

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Ran across this yesterday: https://archive.org/details/Popixel-PhantasyStar/mode/2up

It's a fan-made strategy guide for the first Phantasy Star! I guess that's not all that exciting nowadays but I flipped through it and it really looks like something that might have been published in the '90s. You can tell the makers really love the game. Look at the bottom corners of each page - if you get it printed and flip through it, it's the walking animation for the party. That's just :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ofecks posted:

Ran across this yesterday: https://archive.org/details/Popixel-PhantasyStar/mode/2up

It's a fan-made strategy guide for the first Phantasy Star! I guess that's not all that exciting nowadays but I flipped through it and it really looks like something that might have been published in the '90s. You can tell the makers really love the game. Look at the bottom corners of each page - if you get it printed and flip through it, it's the walking animation for the party. That's just :3:

Aww, that's charming as hell.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Leraika posted:

there's a post-dungeon section in the first 'real' dungeon (palace of the earth spirits/blazing hell) that's a teleporter maze, and the second dungeon is a teleporter maze. palace of the earth spirits also has poison floors, summon juice draining floors, and darkness floors where your menu stops working

The mean thing about that is that they don't tell you until like 5 dungeons in that you can change your in-dungeon party display to a split party/mini-map set-up with the Alt key. And there's no key remapping, so you can't even see that it's an option in that menu. Even when your Phone menu map doesn't work in darkness, the mini-map still works fine. Basically no occasion where you don't want the mini-map up.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Einander posted:

The mean thing about that is that they don't tell you until like 5 dungeons in that you can change your in-dungeon party display to a split party/mini-map set-up with the Alt key. And there's no key remapping, so you can't even see that it's an option in that menu. Even when your Phone menu map doesn't work in darkness, the mini-map still works fine. Basically no occasion where you don't want the mini-map up.

I recently saw a message for that in the Sakuya FOE section. maybe it was patched in after release

Ofecks posted:

Was looking up information about BUSIN 0, one of the ps2 Wizardry games that never came out here, and found that someone has created an enormous 600 page strategy/translation guide for it in the same vein. In awe at the effort.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

they peaked with mdk2 tbh

is it time for yuri to conquer all once again...?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Einander posted:

yeah, fortunately someone in the discord stream I was doing for my first bit of the game took pity on me after watching me constantly popping up the menu to look at the map and told me about that one

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

wild arms 2 kicks rear end

It absolutely does. Since it'll be lovely outside this weekend, I plan to hunker down in a recliner next to a fireplace with the Steam Deck. Biggest decision I have to make is whether to start a new playthrough of Wild Arms 2 or Wild Arms 3. It's a serious decision that deserves proper attention.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ragequit posted:

It absolutely does. Since it'll be lovely outside this weekend, I plan to hunker down in a recliner next to a fireplace with the Steam Deck. Biggest decision I have to make is whether to start a new playthrough of Wild Arms 2 or Wild Arms 3. It's a serious decision that deserves proper attention.

I played wild arms 2 last year and wild arms the year before. At some point this year I will replay wild arms 3

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

lets hang out posted:

I recently saw a message for that in the Sakuya FOE section. maybe it was patched in after release

Was looking up information about BUSIN 0, one of the ps2 Wizardry games that never came out here, and found that someone has created an enormous 600 page strategy/translation guide for it in the same vein. In awe at the effort.

This is amazing. I loved Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land and was pretty ticked that we never got its sequels. Thank you!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Astlibra chapter 3 big boss done. Not a fan of "oh you tried to murder the populace of an entire town and even succeeded in another timeline but you're apologetic about it so it's okay". Cool boss though, I hated it until I realised the trick was to abuse the poo poo out of iframes.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

lets hang out posted:

Yeah, IIRC they wanted to translate it but doesn't know how to code. So, uh, that.

Sadly, nobody to my knowledge has contacted them about working to actually insert it into the game (I have no idea how hard it is to work with Busin 0, codewise).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Prism posted:

Yeah, IIRC they wanted to translate it but doesn't know how to code. So, uh, that.

That was also the case with Devvifox's PSP2i guide, which was very handy in the years leading up to the translation patch

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Astlibra chapter 3 is funny because it introduces damage floors and then it gives you the accessory that makes you immune to damage floors in the same dungeon. So then no damage floor post chapter 3 is scary because you just remember you can equip that accessory again.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It took me ages to realise the lava plumes were monsters you could kill so I thought that the lava stones were super rare drops from the slimes.

Also this is the first RPG I've ever stacked luck in, just because I want to reduce the grind to make all the weapons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So I bought Crisis Core Remake because it was on sale. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Any quests that're way overtuned and I shouldn't take, items I need to save for crafting, stuff along those lines? I've never played the game before.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ofecks posted:

Wow, that's a lot of effort. 112 pages.

Speaking of weirdly high-effort Phantasy Star paraphernalia, I found the time to get through that "Working Designs" Phantasy Star 4 romhack that I mentioned earlier in the thread, and it was... almost disappointingly normal? It's not a retranslation so much as a heavy edit of the official English script; a fair bit of incidental text like item descriptions is unchanged. The dialogue has obviously been punched up a fair bit, sometimes in ways that feel unnecessary, but on the other hand some of the more stiff and awkward lines from the original read more smoothly now. Raja's jokes actually make sense and some of them are even funny -- and there was one point where the music cut out for a second to provide a dramatic pause right before a punchline, which got a chuckle out of me even if I'm not 100% sure it wasn't just my emulator hitching.

There are also a few minor Easter eggs for examining random stuff in towns. The famous "It's not nice to open cabinets in other people's houses without their permission" message gets rephrased a few times in increasingly snarky ways as you progress further in the game and continue to insist on rifling through people's cabinets.

A few items that previously had no description have been given one, some character and place names have been changed (sometimes to bring them closer to the Japanese names, sometimes to keep them in line with the translation choices used in Phantasy Star 1), and there are a few minor mechanical tweaks: a couple of dummied-out items are reintroduced to the game by replacing random junk in treasure chests, and some pieces of equipment are usable by a wider range of characters now. Demi is probably the biggest beneficiary of this, since she can now equip the strongest single-target gun, but none of the changes really have a major effect on game balance.

This was not a hack that needed to exist, but it's not offensively bad and it gave me an excuse to replay Phantasy Star 4, so on balance I'm kinda glad it does.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Atlus released the Persona 3 Reloaded intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=746zeHM5EA8

Gonna be interesting to see if there's any discourse about a game where teenagers routinely shoot themselves in the head. Like, yeah it was out before, but it wasn't as well known as the series is now (plus that was *checks watch* a million years ago)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They'd been downplaying that so much previously I wondered if they'd removed it completely lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Gonna be interesting to see if there's any discourse about a game where teenagers routinely shoot themselves in the head. Like, yeah it was out before, but it wasn't as well known as the series is now (plus that was *checks watch* a million years ago)

I don't think anyone is going to care.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This is a role-playing game in which players assume the roles of high-school students investigating a mysterious tower that only appears at midnight. During the day, players interact with classmates, teachers, and town characters, gaining social links to improve relationships and abilities. At night, players explore the tower and engage in battles against human and fantastical enemies (e.g., shadows, demons, spirits) in turn-based combat. Players select weapon and magic attacks from summoned persona creatures to kill enemies; battles are accompanied by impact sounds, gunfire, and cries of pain. Cutscenes also contain instances of violence and/or blood: a creature's arm cut off and crushed, with blood-splatter effects; characters shot, also with blood-splatter effects; pools of blood on the ground; characters shooting themselves in the head to summon personas. The game contains some sexual material: female demons with partially exposed breasts and buttocks; a creature with a phallic-shaped head and torso. Some demons (e.g., succubus, incubus) have sexual characteristics that are described in the text (e.g., “They visit sleeping men/women and have sexual intercourse with them.”). The words “f**k” and “sh*t” appear in the game.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
there's been enough recent spinoffs of P3 like Dancing in Moonlight and Q2 that I think we would've already gotten that discourse at this point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Why would there be discourse about school children being shot in America? That's like there being discourse about water being wet.

If the plot was about taking the guns away from those children, well, that'd be an entirely different story.

(Excuse me, I'm just loving bitter at the moment.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm at a loss as to how much of DA1 I've played previously. I definitely never finished it but I keep going 'okay I never got this far' then finding stuff I remember.