Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nuebot posted:

Also I like how in the Destiny opening it flashes through a bunch of the romantic couples like Athrun and Cagalli, Kira and Lacus, Shinn and Stella? And also Yzak and Dearka. So I'm just going to take that as canonical proof those two are an item.

I've seen a lot of short manga about that. I never had any reason to doubt they were canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Arc Hammer posted:

Hasn't he been cranking out Fafner shows?

Yeah.

The last of which was a decade ago.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Fafner is the quiet little unstoppable franchise, it actually got new entries in 2021 and 2023, they just don't have Wikipedia entries

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Nuebot posted:

Also I like how in the Destiny opening it flashes through a bunch of the romantic couples like Athrun and Cagalli, Kira and Lacus, Shinn and Stella? And also Yzak and Dearka. So I'm just going to take that as canonical proof those two are an item.

This is Shiho Hahnenfuss erasure!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nuebot posted:

Barring a "they have offscreen girlfriends from Canada you've never met" cop-out, the only heterosexual pairings with characters they've ever met on screen are Yzak with Shiho(effectively a cut character who has precisely zero lines in the show despite appearing in a couple of scenes briefly due to voice actor issues and thus has no actual plot) and Dearka with Miliaria(who has very clearly dumped his rear end by Destiny).

And there have been merch runs which have had the main pairings on them and then Yzak and Dearka together, so :v:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Ugh Dearka, make better choices.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean it's Dearka. You can make an argument Yzak is too good for him.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Dearka is definitely the one who settled.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I do think it's funny that in Destiny Yzak is a fancy white coat officer with a custom ride and Dearka is just a dumb green uniform grunt piloting a basic rear end Zaku.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Working my way through MS IGLOO and these pathetic nerds are almost enough to make me want to switch sides to the Federation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

Working my way through MS IGLOO and these pathetic nerds are almost enough to make me want to switch sides to the Federation.

Igloo is pretty bad and easily the worst Zeon Nazi wank in all of Gundam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Worse than Code Fairy? IGLOO was annoying but Code Fairy made me angry.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

War and Pieces posted:

IGLOO would have been better if you cut out the actual like, narrative framework of it and, instead, just had the funny shorts of dude who went to fast and exploded or tank man who tanked good and died or whatever. Still wouldn't have been great, but it would have been been better.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Worse than Code Fairy? IGLOO was annoying but Code Fairy made me angry.

Probably, allowing for me not seeing Code Fairy. It even ends on a waving Zeon flag.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

IGLOO would have been better if you cut out the actual like, narrative framework of it and, instead, just had the funny shorts of dude who went to fast and exploded or tank man who tanked good and died or whatever. Still wouldn't have been great, but it would have been been better.

How else would we know how noble and pure these fascist souls were? How else could we appreciate the sacrifice of the Hitler Gihren Youth?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Our brave Oggo children. :patriot:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
IGLOO is Springtime for Hitler '67, Code Fairy is Springtime for Hitler '05.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably, allowing for me not seeing Code Fairy. It even ends on a waving Zeon flag.

Code Fairy's flavor of fash-itude is a little bit different from IGLOO's. While IGLOO watches like a propaganda movie trying to convince you about the inherent nobility of the fascist aviator's soul, Code Fairy is more along the lines of "look at these cute girl fascist soldiers being cute in between participating in an aggressive ground invasion of Earth".

Though there is an incredibly hilarious moment where they find the wreckage of the Hildolfr and offer a prayer to the noble soul of its pilot before they break it down for parts.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Though there is an incredibly hilarious moment where they find the wreckage of the Hildolfr and offer a prayer to the noble soul of its pilot before they break it down for parts.

lmfao

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Code Fairy's flavor of fash-itude is a little bit different from IGLOO's. While IGLOO watches like a propaganda movie trying to convince you about the inherent nobility of the fascist aviator's soul, Code Fairy is more along the lines of "look at these cute girl fascist soldiers being cute in between participating in an aggressive ground invasion of Earth".

Which is my I agree with Arc Hammer: I merely dislike IGLOO, but I hate Code Fairy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They use the Hildolfr parts and a salvaged hover engine from a Gallop hovership to make this:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stop, you're killing me here

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Kanos posted:

They use the Hildolfr parts and a salvaged hover engine from a Gallop hovership to make this:

This sucks but I totally understand offering respect to the cool part of MsigLoo 1.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If you think Code Fairy is fashy you may have missed the whole point of Gundam.

Also Code Fairy is really fun and funny.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanos posted:

That Dom looks like it's ready to wrassle

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

brainwrinkle posted:

Playing Code Fairy after GBO2 just feels dumb slow and lovely.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah gameplay-wise Code Fairy is mostly just GBO2 except against bots and you have a hugely restricted roster of suits.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

grassy gnoll posted:

IGLOO is Springtime for Hitler '67, Code Fairy is Springtime for Hitler '05.

That sounds like an insult to both versions of The Producers, though making either Gundam property a camp musical could only improve them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

No, it's just pure Zeon fankwank about these adorable marketable girls who are so noble and pure, unlike the cartoonishly evil Federation and the cruelty of the Zabis, enough that they can turn around the hatred of a Federation soldier who lost her entire family and also they were such a terrifying dangerous group that there were dedicated Witch Hunt organizations trying to kill them and they singlehandedly rallied multiple established Zeon aces who all talked about how cool they were.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Yeah I already said it’s fun and funny. Hire More Women Zeon pilots the video game. It’s in conversation with a legacy of stupid OYW side plots most of which are far worse than Code Fairy for taking themselves too seriously.

The only good OYW side story is War in the Pocket imo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

Yeah I already said it’s fun and funny. Hire More Women Zeon pilots the video game. It’s in conversation with a legacy of stupid OYW side plots most of which are far worse than Code Fairy for taking themselves too seriously.

The only good OYW side story is War in the Pocket imo.

You're trying to frame it as ironic when it isn't. It's completely straightfaced. The fact that it has characters being cute is just part of that, it's not making a joke about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I guess if you're willing to overlook the context of 0079 and the One Year War then you might find it fun. Personally I'm not really a fan of the cute girls in space fascist uniforms having tea parties in an occupied mansion on the planet that their nation is strip mining between multiple near extinction level attempts of mass murder. Call that moralizing if you want but I ain't too keen on embracing a false narrative of the tragedy of a super panzer battalion having to fight against such angry Feddies who cant get over the deaths of 5 billion people or attempts at smoothing out the edges of Zeon just because not *every* member of their army was a fascist warmonger.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 4, 2024

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

brainwrinkle posted:

you may have missed the whole point of Gundam.

if you think Zeon are unequivocally the Bad Guys and the Federation are the Good Guys

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

brainwrinkle posted:

if you think Zeon are unequivocally the Bad Guys and the Federation are the Good Guys

In the context of the OYW, where Code Fairy is set, Zeon are unequivocally the Bad Guys. It is text that their "war of independence" is a genocidal aggressive power grab instigated by the actions of a greedy family of would-be nobles, one of whom thinks Hitler was a loving rad dude who had some good ideas but maybe didn't go far enough. There are characters who aren't horrible people working for Zeon, but that's not meant to be an indicator that Zeon isn't loving evil, it's meant to square the circle that sometimes otherwise reasonable and good people are forced by circumstance to attach themselves to horrible causes.

Later works highlight the slow decay of the Federation into an inept and failing government riddled with corruption that cannot or will not properly serve its citizens, and people believing in the ideals of Zeon becomes more sympathetic as everything decays into poo poo, but there is a strong argument to be made that the Federation decays like it does because the OYW happened in the first place.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 4, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, "a governmental system does not ever recover from a military action by an enemy which kills half of its citizens and destroys huge swaths of its arduously-built infrastructure" is more like, it'd be surprising if it did.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

There's only one faction in UC that are portrayed as being universally fascist bullies, down to the lowest recruits, and that's the Titans.

The Federation are shown as cynical and corrupt even in MSG. They leave the White Base without support and use children as test pilots in the middle of a war. The message of the show is "war is bad" not "zeon is bad and the federation is good actually".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Begemot posted:

There's only one faction in UC that are portrayed as being universally fascist bullies, down to the lowest recruits, and that's the Titans.

The Federation are shown as cynical and corrupt even in MSG. They leave the White Base without support and use children as test pilots in the middle of a war. The message of the show is "war is bad" not "zeon is bad and the federation is good actually".
yeah it's more "the federation being bad doesn't retroactively make the Principality of Zeon in any way right," or suggest the feds "had it coming," given the scale of the slaughter and its heavy emphasis on, indeed, the people who Zeon were purportedly fighting to liberate.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Begemot posted:

The Federation is engaged in an existential war of survival against a faction that has literally dropped WMDs all over the planet and instigated a war that has killed billions of people unprovoked. Yes, there are Federation dickhead officers just like there are noble and admirable Zeon ones. This does not change that by the text of the original show, Zeon is the aggressor and the root cause of the conflict happening in the first place.

It's quite possible for Zeon to be bad and the show to still have a theme that war is bad; a story about the horrors of war does not have to equivocate and do wishy-washy "both sides are bad, actually, the real monster is man" bullshit. There are plenty of shows and stories about the horrors of war that have no qualms painting one side as wrong over the other. Zeta is also heavily about how conflict destroys people and you yourself mention the Titans as being unequivocally evil.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To bring this back to Code Fairy, the only way to make it not appear as fascist fanwank Zeon apologia would be to remove it entirely from the context of its setting. Which, sure you can do if you want to ignore the rest of the One Year War, but the story consciously chooses to place itself in that war while also framing itself as the happy adventures of the cute super pilot brigade and their battles against the mean ole' feddie pilot who won't let go of her personal tragedy. It really doesn't have much interest in examining the wider conflict or the squad's role as an occupying force or the intended goals of Zeon's invasion in the first place. There's almost zero self reflection by any of the characters or even an 'are we the baddies?' moment, it's nuts.

Like if you're going to ignore the context of the setting where you chose to put your story then go ahead but don't act surprised when some people might think you're being a bit disingenuous.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The federation sucks, it sucked before Zeon and it will suck after Zeon, but absolutely nothing Zeon is doing will make it not suck and in exchange they're murdering half of humanity.

I'm not opposed to stories following sympathetic Zeon soldiers in the OYW but I do not think it is a good setting for moe stuff.