Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Phlag posted:

I guess, but my point is that so far they're adhering to their established schedules, with no vacation-related delays at all

I'm complaining because it never should have been reduced by this much. Billions of dollars to explode children, zero dollars to employ people to track deadly illnesses. Cool society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Zantie posted:

Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update…
*snip*

…Trend to indicate there it is out of date.

what is the y-axis for the line graphs?

I internet it to mean we are borked in the PNW

e: thank you for doing good data work my friend :)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pingui posted:

Very thorough study trying to determine the cause of post-exertional malaise (PEM), as well as defining the condition in biological terms. I have tried cutting it down as much as I could (still a bit unsure if I should have kept the amyloid deposit stuff in; I'll just note that they were outside the vessels indicating they didn't form microclots), but nevertheless it is pretty long. Pretty pictures though and that's gotta count for something :P
"Muscle abnormalities worsen after post-exertional malaise in long COVID"

News article on the matter:

Results relate to the study posted here:

Bom study, thank you pingui.

-m.
Jul 2, 2007

Oracle posted:

where’d you get the lozenges? I spent like 45 minutes staring at the wall o’supplements/probiotics in Whole Foods and nada.

fyi from a lurker: these appear to be similar and I’ve used their vitamins for years:

https://www.nowfoods.com/products/supplements/oralbiotic-lozenges

I was going to order some when I got paid. I’ve been fighting something here and so many are sick, I wear glasses but wouldn’t be surprised if something got in that way given how much is in the air :(

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

A Bag of Milk posted:

covid is playing chess and just made a brilliant move !

COVID is all queens and we're all pawns

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
a buddy's 18 month old just went to the ER with a bad RSV infection, and when his fever got worse and he started struggling to breathe, they admitted him to the PICU.

of which the city of Denver has zero beds available, so they shipped him via ambulance to Colorado Springs.

i have an unfathomably heartbreaking picture of lil man all geared up with a full-face forced air system smiling ear to ear because other than almost dying from a virus he's having the time of his life with gewgaws and lookin like he's goin to space.

the level of radicalization of parents has got to be off the charts.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Boston area wastewater data just got updated

matched for highest in two years lol

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

-m. posted:

fyi from a lurker: these appear to be similar and I’ve used their vitamins for years:

I was going to order some when I got paid. I’ve been fighting something here and so many are sick, I wear glasses but wouldn’t be surprised if something got in that way given how much is in the air :(

Thanks! I also lolled when I saw this contains beet powder. It’s beets all the way down. (hope it’s nothing and you feel better soon!)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

A Bag of Milk posted:

Iota-carrageenan nasal spray and probiotic lozenges containing streptococcus salivarius k12 should be better than nothing even if used after exposure. Getting your hands on either of those within 24hrs if you don't already have them in the medicine cabinet might be hard though.

any brand recommendations?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

actually kids always get sick

Pingui posted:

Mitochondrial dysfunction (is the term) is a part of it, but not to exclusion it seems. At the very least some kind of inflammation seems present. I didn't include it in the post, but the authors were not able to distinguish if people had persistent (or just prior) infections, which is certainly present in some people and could be causing continual inflammation.

Either way, it is a big step and any study showing measurable biomarkers is extremely important to further define and refine the condition.

That's really interesting. That's the first study showing physiological muscle tissue changes in PEM, isn't it?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

sadly, this is directed towards lockdowns and vaccines

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

is the y axis just n/100k samples?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

the Covid scythe is making its way through schools right on schedule in case anyone was wondering

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

-m. posted:

thanks! I'll look for these at the store.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jon Irenicus posted:

the Covid scythe is making its way through schools right on schedule in case anyone was wondering

Everyone I work with who has kids is sick. My entire meeting calendar got cleared for the rest of the week. We're just going to do this forever I guess.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Everyone I work with who has kids is sick. My entire meeting calendar got cleared for the rest of the week. We're just going to do this forever I guess.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

guy I work with has been going home early and staying home on some days because his entire family has COVID and he is the caregiver

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Contractor is doing stuff at my house right now. Evidently his fiancée is pretty sick and had to leave work. I'm sure it's just her and not him :shepface:

gently caress, I would be absolutely losing my poo poo if that were my kid.

Insanite posted:

Boston area wastewater data just got updated

matched for highest in two years lol
Guess which mild variant showed up two years ago!! :buddy:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

Guess which mild variant showed up two years ago!! :buddy:

this is a trick question, as Covid has always been mild

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

The Oldest Man posted:

actually kids always get sick

That's really interesting. That's the first study showing physiological muscle tissue changes in PEM, isn't it?

Yes, the authors mention that they are the first. We've only seen it in severe cases prior (for different reasons).

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

A few good choices have been posted in the last couple pages. I like Flo nasal spray because its the pure stuff without unnecessary additives and BLIS for the lozenges because they offer 2.5 billion cfu which is beefier than the 1 billion cfu offered by other brands. However being Australian and New Zealand brands respectively, it might take more than a trip to the drugstore to get them. But they're both on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Flo-Travel-Nasal-Spray-20mL/dp/B07KPRNYHZ

https://www.amazon.com/BLIS-ThroatHealth-Probiotic-Available-Sugar-Free/dp/B077X6N5KS

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Seven weeks post acute infection I am definitely still dealing with bullshit I don't wanna spend too much time delving into, but boils down to some minor but weird new problems and exacerbation of existing chronic health conditions with known inflammatory correlates. Shocking! My rabbitair a2 and corsis will be here this weekend, let's see if anyone gets sick in the mean time.

Platystemon posted:

The Car Hate thread somehow makes it onto the Lists of Problematic Doomer Threads, too.

Lurkers who aren't sufficiently C-Spam Brained, may still generally agree that global warming is loving us over and that "capitalism sucks" but also don't want to give up the carefree feeling they have driving a WRX to a packed venue so this is how the dissonance gets processed :laugh:

That Covak post sucked but I think if someone else had posted the same thing it might well have gone under the radar or just got a Sternly Worded Response From The IK On Duty.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I don't trust the Flo on Amazon, the seller looks hinky and the reviews suck.

I use the NOW, and they're actually pretty good. I never feel like they need a chaser.

My neurologist today had the sniffles, but it's totally not COVID, he tested.

Bruh.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Betadine cold defense (Canadian product) https://www.northernvitality.us/products/betadine-cold-defence-nasal-spray-20ml

just contains iota-carrageenan and saline. And only 20 bucks vs Amazon’s crazyass pricing.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Pingui posted:

Very thorough study trying to determine the cause of post-exertional malaise (PEM), as well as defining the condition in biological terms. I have tried cutting it down as much as I could (still a bit unsure if I should have kept the amyloid deposit stuff in; I'll just note that they were outside the vessels indicating they didn't form microclots), but nevertheless it is pretty long. Pretty pictures though and that's gotta count for something :P
"Muscle abnormalities worsen after post-exertional malaise in long COVID"

News article on the matter:

Results relate to the study posted here:

Thanks Pingui for this!

A sliver lining of all these Long Covid is that PEM actually get studied. I should dig up an study from the beforetimes which found that some PEM sufferers had really thin gut walls which gave them poo blood whenever they exercised. poo blood. Probably going to end up being one of those things where's there's a few different sub-types but regardless having a "its not just malingering" is always, always good.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Oracle posted:

Betadine cold defense (Canadian product) https://www.northernvitality.us/products/betadine-cold-defence-nasal-spray-20ml

just contains iota-carrageenan and saline. And only 20 bucks vs Amazon’s crazyass pricing.

That does look pretty good. I haven't had to buy any since Flo did their price hike. This stuff has only 75% the concentration of Flo but I'm not sure to what extent that would matter.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

A Bag of Milk posted:

BLIS for the lozenges because they offer 2.5 billion cfu which is beefier than the 1 billion cfu offered by other brands.

https://www.burstoralcare.com/product/probiotic

is there a point at which you dont want more bacteria

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I don't trust the Flo on Amazon, the seller looks hinky and the reviews suck.

just buy it from Australia Pharmacy Online, even with international shipping it's half to a third of the price, depending on the current Amazon price.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Jyrraeth posted:

Thanks Pingui for this!

A sliver lining of all these Long Covid is that PEM actually get studied. I should dig up an study from the beforetimes which found that some PEM sufferers had really thin gut walls which gave them poo blood whenever they exercised. poo blood. Probably going to end up being one of those things where's there's a few different sub-types but regardless having a "its not just malingering" is always, always good.

its not just malingering, its downright anti-patriotic!

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

deadwing posted:

just buy it from Australia Pharmacy Online, even with international shipping it's half to a third of the price, depending on the current Amazon price.

Oh, totally did. I think it's even shipped already!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bedpan posted:

sadly, this is directed towards lockdowns and vaccines

Canada should have been the canary in the coal mine, but the technocratic playbook of "the problems aren't problems and nothing can change which is good because things are actually good" is fuelling resentment in all of the western liberal democracies and things are only going to get worse because it's being directed into all of these loving weird directions as acceptable dissent has been shut out of the discourse.

I've been radicalized against my in-laws and extended family, for example.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A Bag of Milk posted:

That does look pretty good. I haven't had to buy any since Flo did their price hike. This stuff has only 75% the concentration of Flo but I'm not sure to what extent that would matter.

all the studies I can find used the same ratio of I-c as is in the Betadine. Also Flo pads their numbers by including kappa-carrageenan which seems sus, since iota is by far the superior derivative of carrageenan when it comes to antiviral activity (see here)

quote:

Nasal sprays, throat sprays and lozenges containing carrageenans are approved common cold prevention options and have been launched in more than 20 countries [64]. The most commonly used carrageenan in these products is iota-carrageenan. To test whether the types of carrageenan have different antiviral properties, we compared iota-, kappa-and lambda-carrageenan in various infection experiments. Although all carrageenan types showed antiviral effects against SARS-CoV-2 Wuhan type and its VOCs Alpha, Beta and Gamma, iota-carrageenan clearly led to the strongest reduction with IC50 values that are~1 log-stage lower than that for lambda- or kappa-carrageenan.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

https://s28.q4cdn.com/781576035/files/doc_financials/2022/q1/PFE-USQ_Transcript_2022-05-03_v2.pdf

Pfizer earnings call, May 2022, bottom of page 18 posted:

We also see that the social -- the removal of the mask mandate, the social distancing requirements that have been removed. You also know that in the EU that just in the last week, they've removed the emergency period of the EUA. That means that people are going to get out there. We know with all of that, infections are going to increase, and that's the role that PAXLOVID can play.

:hmmyes:

-m.
Jul 2, 2007

Oracle posted:

Thanks! I also lolled when I saw this contains beet powder. It’s beets all the way down. (hope it’s nothing and you feel better soon!)

You’re welcome! And lolololol I didn’t even notice that, and it made me realize I have been picking up more beets lately…and garlic, ginger, horseradish, kimchi… I’m going to flush this out one way or another! I have a good supply of tests as well and so far nothing positive, and my vflexes are usually good (barring any looseness of the elastic of course).

bedpan posted:

thanks! I'll look for these at the store.

You’re welcome! Good luck at the store, it’s nowhere near me.

And I hope it works out for everyone, especially the little one in Colorado. The things the new normal have brought us :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Louisgod posted:

COVID is all queens and we're all pawns

if u wear a mask then at least ur one of those weird promoted shogi pawns that can move like a gold

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Well, Paxlovid COULD play that role if:

A) Anyone tested for COVID
B) Anyone realized COVID was actually bad and not good for you
C) Any doctor would prescribe Paxlovid
D) Any private insurance will pay for it without making it a gigantic hassle
E) Pharmacies would actually stock it

You would almost think that pfizer had a financial incentive to improve some of those things but NOPE.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Rescue Toaster posted:

Well, Paxlovid COULD play that role if:

A) Anyone tested for COVID
B) Anyone realized COVID was actually bad and not good for you
C) Any doctor would prescribe Paxlovid
D) Any private insurance will pay for it without making it a gigantic hassle
E) Pharmacies would actually stock it

I used test2treat to bandit some Pax and keep it on hand. They called it into a local Walgreens within an hour (impressive) and it still remains unfilled a week later, lol.

Checked today and expected to be filled next Tuesday! Good thing I’m not actually sick.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

The y-axis is meaningless. Ok only half true, the y-axis is the concentration of SARS-CoV-2 in the wastewater. Numbers are tucked up just to the left of each sewershed. The units for those numbers depend on the reference as all four sources I pull from use different methods and ones like Biobot are different units.

An awesome system we've got huh :haw:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Men would literally rather

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1742855406177665455

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jort Fortress posted:

I used test2treat to bandit some Pax and keep it on hand. They called it into a local Walgreens within an hour (impressive) and it still remains unfilled a week later, lol.

Checked today and expected to be filled next Tuesday! Good thing I’m not actually sick.

Should have sent it to CVS or Rite Aid. Walgreens dumpstered all the government Pax ahead of schedule. That’s the source of the delay, and you’re going to have a copay or worse.