Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The war in Gaza has not gone well and their initial goal of "destroying Hamas" will not be achieved. Now they are flailing and have launched airstrikes in Lebanon, Jordan, Yemen, Syria, and just recently assassinated a Hamas leader in Beirut proper. A regional war would ensure US involvement and direct military support. Nasrallah referenced their attempts to goad others into a direct confrontation today in his speech.

The risks involved in this entire debacle have outweighed the benefits.

I wont post anymore here since I mistakenly posted ITT anyway.

Israel conducted airstrikes in Jordan and Yemen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
isis has claimed responsibility for the bombings

however i don't not how much credence to give it because not only is it 24 hours after the bombing, but they claim it was two suicide bombs, while iranian officials have stated that they believe at least one bomb was in a suitcase and was remotely detonated

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ah, but maybe Iranian authorities put out fake information about the bombs, so they'd be able to check on claims of responsibility!

I don't think we'll much trust what anybody says about a bombing like this. I suppose the important part is how Iran responds.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The war in Gaza has not gone well and their initial goal of "destroying Hamas" will not be achieved. Now they are flailing and have launched airstrikes in Lebanon, Jordan, Yemen, Syria, and just recently assassinated a Hamas leader in Beirut proper. A regional war would ensure US involvement and direct military support. Nasrallah referenced their attempts to goad others into a direct confrontation today in his speech.

IDF has wrapped up the above-ground operation in Gaza and is going on to destroy them in the tunnels. This allows them to turn their attention to the other groups who have been launching rockets and missiles at Israel's civilians, as the 1M internally displaced Israelis evacuated from the north grow louder.

The combat operation in Gaza went relatively well, with only 175 IDF casualties. The airstrikes in Lebanon and Syria have apparently worked in scaring Hezbollah a few clicks north. Israel's demand is 18 miles.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The risks involved in this entire debacle have outweighed the benefits.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nameless_Steve posted:

IDF has wrapped up the above-ground operation in Gaza and is going on to destroy them in the tunnels. This allows them to turn their attention to the other groups who have been launching rockets and missiles at Israel's civilians, as the 1M internally displaced Israelis evacuated from the north grow louder.

The combat operation in Gaza went relatively well, with only 175 IDF casualties. The airstrikes in Lebanon and Syria have apparently worked in scaring Hezbollah a few clicks north. Israel's demand is 18 miles.

I'm sorry what? The only thing Israel has been doing in Gaza is indiscriminately slaughtering civilians. Hamas, ironically, is the group best situated to survive this sort of genocide campaign.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I am likely going to disagree with Steve there, as I suspect will most of this thread.

Can I suggest we not dogpile him? This thread is literally the only place I have to discuss this topic without people frothing at the mouth. I'd love to keep it that way. Or at least keep it informative, instead of just using low effort posts to roast others.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Ok, but moral outrage aside, he is factually incorrect about the effectiveness of Israel's campaign against Hamas

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

setting aside the military question, polling is not great for the current government that should be benefitting from a rally round the flag effect. i'm not convinced that this means they're actively seeking to draw iran into direct conflict, but clearly whatever political objectives the current government have set for this campaign are either stymied or are being achieve but are fundamentally flawed because public sentiment around the fighting has been deteriorating

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Ok, but moral outrage aside, he is factually incorrect about the effectiveness of Israel's campaign against Hamas

I agree. I'd split it in two: military, and political.

Militarily the campaign has been somewhat effective. Not many IDF killed compared to... all those civilians, but also presumably a lot of Hamas militants as well. Surely Hamas has been degraded as an organization.

Politically though. The outrage caused will result in many more Palestinians taking up arms against Israel either now or in the future. I guess this is why Israeli ministers are talking about moving Gazans to some other country. Killing cannot end this conflict, but a forced relocation would be a sort of "solution".

I do wonder what the Israeli public think of this. I'd the war going well in their eyes?

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Count Roland posted:

Can I suggest we not dogpile him?
I appreciate it.

Count Roland posted:

I agree. I'd split it in two: military, and political.

Militarily the campaign has been somewhat effective. Not many IDF killed compared to... all those civilians, but also presumably a lot of Hamas militants as well. Surely Hamas has been degraded as an organization.

Politically though. The outrage caused will result in many more Palestinians taking up arms against Israel either now or in the future. I guess this is why Israeli ministers are talking about moving Gazans to some other country. Killing cannot end this conflict, but a forced relocation would be a sort of "solution".

I do wonder what the Israeli public think of this. I'd the war going well in their eyes?
"All those civilians" and this is the problem with the reported numbers that have so much of the world so outraged. The Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry doesn't differentiate between civilian and militant casualties, which was previously unheard of but was accepted with a global shrug. I'm still livid about it. It's purely propaganda to exclusively report only civilian deaths. Leading to the misconception that Hamas has somehow escaped all the fighting unscathed.

Israel estimates it has taken out as many as 8,000-9,000 of Hamas' initial force of 20,000 (+20,000 reserve).
No idea whether that 8-9,000 number overlaps with the GHM reported total.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

setting aside the military question, polling is not great for the current government that should be benefitting from a rally round the flag effect. i'm not convinced that this means they're actively seeking to draw iran into direct conflict, but clearly whatever political objectives the current government have set for this campaign are either stymied or are being achieve but are fundamentally flawed because public sentiment around the fighting has been deteriorating
So you're misreading the Israeli mood right now. >90% of Israelis are fully backing the war and have set aside all discussion of left-right politics, but everyone knows Netanyahu's days are numbered. No, there is no rally-around-the-flag for Likud, but there is for the IDF. Bibi came to office because of the valor he and his brother exhibited in commando missions rescuing hostages in places like Entebbe. His entire campaign promises hinged on the idea that he would keep Israel safe. With that stripped away, he has no appealing qualities. 2023 will be as bad for Binyamin Netanyahu and Likud as 1973 was for Golda Meir and Labor.

But make no mistake, the country has not been this united since its founding. The pro-peace left was betrayed by Hamas on October 7, and many Israelis now call themselves ex-peaceniks.

There was some support for an all-for-all hostage/prisoner exchange, but Hamas reportedly shot down all offers. The Israeli "ceasefire" rallies are very different from the rallies around the world, as they do not call for an unconditional ceasefire, but instead insist on conditional ceasefires that accomplish Israeli objectives such as recovering the remaining hostages or extraditing Ismail Haniyeh. These rallies peaked in prominence after the friendly fire tragedy. But after the shooting down of the Hamas general who was in charge of those negotiations, it's safe to say that window is shut.

And with 1 million displaced Northern Israelis and continued rocket-fire from Lebanon, there is growing public concern to act on the threat from Hezbollah although obviously everybody is reticent to another ground operation in Lebanon. But it's not some calculated move coming out of nowhere, it's a response to active fire.

Somewhat off-topic, but interesting read:
Israeli think-tank's plans for rebuilding a post-Hamas Gaza

Nameless_Steve fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 4, 2024

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm sure others will challenge you re: civilians in Gaza so I'll skip that.

I was actually planning on finding some forum or Reddit where I could see what pro-Israel opinions really were. Turns out I don't even have to leave the thread.

Steve: what is your, or your perceived opinion of Israelis generally, of the "voluntary relocation" proposals that have been growing in prominence? Good, bad, other?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nameless_Steve posted:

I appreciate it.

"All those civilians" and this is the problem with the reported numbers that have so much of the world so outraged. The Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry doesn't differentiate between civilian and militant casualties, which was previously unheard of but was accepted with a global shrug. I'm still livid about it. It's purely propaganda to exclusively report only civilian deaths. Leading to the misconception that Hamas has somehow escaped all the fighting unscathed.

Israel estimates it has taken out as many as 8,000-9,000 of Hamas' initial force of 20,000 (+20,000 reserve).
No idea whether that 8-9,000 number overlaps with the GHM reported total.

Assuming someone gave the IDF full credit that they are being 100% accurate and 8,000-9,000 hamas fighters have been killed, that would mean about 40% of those killed in Gaza so far have been militants. The rest have been civilians, with about as many children killed as Hamas militants.

While it's impossible to really verify the glaims of either the IDF or the Gaza Health Ministry, visits by external experts, reports from the UN, and reports from other NGOs like MSF have been very clear that children and civilians are being bombed regularly, along with the infrastructure that supports them. So even if we took the numbers of the IDF at complete face value and accepted them as unimpeachable, that neither counters nor justifies the indiscriminate killing of civilians.

Nameless_Steve posted:

And with 1 million displaced Northern Israelis and continued rocket-fire from Lebanon, there is growing public concern to act on the threat from Hezbollah although obviously everybody is reticent to another ground operation in Lebanon. But it's not some calculated move coming out of nowhere, it's a response to active fire.

Where did you get that number? The Guardian has the number at 80,000 Israelis in Northern Israel displaced, not 1 million. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/17/fears-grow-of-all-out-israel-hezbollah-war-as-fighting-escalates-lebanon

If you don't want to use The Guardian, here's the Times of Israel, also stating 80,000, not 1 million. https://www.timesofisrael.com/gallant-tells-us-envoy-hochstein-theres-a-short-window-for-a-deal-with-hezbollah/

1 million might refer to how many Gazans have been displaced by IDF orders and the bombing campaign, but then the 1 million number is too low instead of too high?

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
My bad, I should have double-checked that. The statistic I was thinking of was "Israelis affected by northern displacement" which is of course going to include more people.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
While it certainly impacts the larger Middle East, can I just remind people that there is a specific thread for discussing Palestine/Israel before we go too much further.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't understand how it helps ISIS at all to organize a massive terrorist attack in Iran when Israel is the one most of the world, and the Muslim world specifically, is focused on for its war on Gaza?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

khwarezm posted:

I don't understand how it helps ISIS at all to organize a massive terrorist attack in Iran when Israel is the one most of the world, and the Muslim world specifically, is focused on for its war on Gaza?

ISIS is a very strange organisation (or ideological franchise at this point) and probably someone had the juice to make this happen unlike in israel, where the palestinian nationalist-islamist organisations generally hold more sway, and those are typically not very strongly sectarian

it's not that hard to kill a bunch of random people with bombs if you have sufficiently dedicated cadres and a reasonable amount of resources. if this is ISIS it probably isn't about israel at all (israel was imo always seen as too hard a target for them), it may very well be some guys with a grudge from iraq or something

remember, ISIS were sectarian enough that it make the qataris iffy. they dislike the heathen but they hate the heretic

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Count Roland posted:

I'm sure others will challenge you re: civilians in Gaza so I'll skip that.

I was actually planning on finding some forum or Reddit where I could see what pro-Israel opinions really were. Turns out I don't even have to leave the thread.

Steve: what is your, or your perceived opinion of Israelis generally, of the "voluntary relocation" proposals that have been growing in prominence? Good, bad, other?

It's not considered a serious proposal; the International Community will never go along with it, so it was pointless for them to bring it up. Israelis do not like hypotheticals.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

V. Illych L. posted:

ISIS is a very strange organisation (or ideological franchise at this point) and probably someone had the juice to make this happen unlike in israel, where the palestinian nationalist-islamist organisations generally hold more sway, and those are typically not very strongly sectarian

it's not that hard to kill a bunch of random people with bombs if you have sufficiently dedicated cadres and a reasonable amount of resources. if this is ISIS it probably isn't about israel at all (israel was imo always seen as too hard a target for them), it may very well be some guys with a grudge from iraq or something

remember, ISIS were sectarian enough that it make the qataris iffy. they dislike the heathen but they hate the heretic

I just find it completely insane how even within the parameters of being a terrorist organization with no qualms attacking civilians that Israel, the one place they would probably get some significant prestige attacking, and which other organisations like Hezbollah, Hamas and the Houthis have made a massive cornerstone of their platforms in opposition too, is apparently off limits. Is it because they don't start with H? Is that the common factor they lack?

Like right now you can go on twitter and see people conspiracising to large audiences that they are secretly puppets of the Zionist/American legion of doom conspiracy since they don't seem to do much at all around Israel and Palestine despite everything happening now.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

khwarezm posted:

I just find it completely insane how even within the parameters of being a terrorist organization with no qualms attacking civilians that Israel, the one place they would probably get some significant prestige attacking, and which other organisations like Hezbollah, Hamas and the Houthis have made a massive cornerstone of their platforms in opposition too, is apparently off limits. Is it because they don't start with H? Is that the common factor they lack?

Like right now you can go on twitter and see people conspiracising to large audiences that they are secretly puppets of the Zionist/American legion of doom conspiracy since they don't seem to do much at all around Israel and Palestine despite everything happening now.
To ISIS, all of Iran, Israel, and Hamas (and the populations they govern) are their enemies and targets for violence. I don't think they particularly care if Enemy A is attacking Enemy B. If ISIS had the capability and no other easier enemies to fight, they'd be terror bombing Gaza themselves to try to displace Hamas as the controlling group.

As far as 'why attack Iran instead of Israel?', Iran is an easier target for them logistically than Israel, and also has more vengeance motivations since the Iranian military was directly involved in fighting them in Syria and Iraq and Israel wasn't.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Why would whatever is left over of ISIS attack their geopolitical ally, Israel, that aided them directly in the Syrian Civil war?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Caro just got awarded $50 million, like a real life Spawny Get
https://x.com/MansourOmari/status/1742634380437188712

Guess he proved all of us wrong when we told him not to go.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

khwarezm posted:

i don't think israel's necessarily off limits, but it's very inconvenient and it's a secondary concern to purifying islam by killing every single follower of the apostate ali

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
nothing official, but the times is suggesting that strikes in yemen by us and uk are imminent

quote:

Britain is expected to join the United States in conducting air strikes on military positions belonging to the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen "within hours", the political editor for the Times newspaper reported on Thursday.

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's Downing Street office did not respond to a request from Reuters for comment, while the Pentagon and the White House each declined to comment on the report.

The U.S. typically does not comment on potential future military operations.

"The Houthis need to stop these attacks ... they will bear the consequences for any failure to do so," White House national security spokesperson John Kirby said on Thursday.

Sunak briefed his cabinet of ministers on the imminent military intervention earlier on Thursday, the Times said.

British media also reported that other political figures, including the leader of Britain's opposition Labour Party, Keir Starmer, as well as the speaker of the House of Commons, had been briefed by the government.

Three residents of Yemen's Hodeidah told Reuters the city has been on alert since Thursday evening, with the heavy deployment of Houthi forces and movement of military trucks. Houthi military sites and camps in Hodeidah were also being evacuated, they said.

Yemen's Iranian-backed Houthi militants have stepped up attacks on commercial vessels in the Red Sea in protest against Israel's war in Gaza. Various shipping lines have suspended operations, instead taking the longer journey around Africa.

The U.S. military said the Houthis earlier on Thursday had staged their 27th attack on shipping since Nov. 19, firing an anti-ship ballistic missile into international shipping lanes in the Gulf of Aden.

Earlier this week, U.S. and British naval forces shot down drones and missiles fired by the Houthis toward the southern Red Sea.

The Houthis, who seized much of Yemen in a civil war, have vowed to attack ships linked to Israel or bound for Israeli ports. However, many of the targeted ships have had no links to Israel.

maybe they'll be able to curb some of the launches, but i'm doubtful they'll be able to win some air war victory that eluded the saudis. the disproportionate cost of threatening vs protecting international shipping seems like yet another factor against globalized jit manufacturing

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
There's actually a clear objective here, stopping attacks on shipping, which historically has been something achievable.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The strikes on Yemen have commenced according to CNN. I have to wonder how good the Intel is on where the Houthis are keeping all the various missiles and drones to shoot at ships.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the complication is that the houthis are being supplied by iran. the cost of producing and shipping them missiles and drones is less than the cost of either active bombing or interception efforts. it's like ukraine in reverse

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is so stupid. This is happening entirely because the Houthis have demanded a ceasefire in Gaza. That's it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is so stupid. This is happening entirely because the Houthis have demanded a ceasefire in Gaza. That's it.

Uh, no. This is happening because the Houthis have been attacking unarmed ships in the Red Sea.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They started attacking the ships to gently caress with Israel, and said that the attacks would stop if a ceasefire in Gaza was put in place

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

They started attacking the ships to gently caress with Israel, and said that the attacks would stop if a ceasefire in Gaza was put in place

That's not a demand, that's extortion.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Aren't all demands basically extortion?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fez_machine posted:

There's actually a clear objective here, stopping attacks on shipping, which historically has been something achievable.

The bit where it's cheap missiles and cheaper drones now is a bit of a wrinkle, but yeah, in general I don't know enough about the details to really have a feasibility opinion. I agree it's going to be more expensive for the US et al than Iran et al. but uh, so is the impact of piracy and blockade on a major shipping lane

it's also one of those things where if it's an effective way to achieve an objective, that's potentially a big systemic problem even if the current grievance is basically correct. if it works there's nothing in particular stopping some Central American junta or something - say, that failed Bolivian fash government - from sealing access to the Panama Canal until demands are met

the best answer would be for the current blockade to be unnecessary but that isn't the timeline we are in

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 12, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Houthis don't just have drones, apparently...

https://twitter.com/apki_hun_yr/status/1745612066193281296

e: They deleted the original tweet and reposted hence the edit

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 12, 2024

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

That's not a demand, that's extortion.

extortion is good if its done to stop a genocide

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

fuctifino posted:

The Houthis don't just have drones, apparently...

https://twitter.com/apki_hun_yr/status/1745606040383603174

Tweet is gone. Or it's just "X" imploding. Fingers crossed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

extortion is good if its done to stop a genocide

everyone gets mad at the houthis but when cloud, tifa and aeris threatened to chop off don corneo's penis in order to save sector 7 they were heroes

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Google Jeb Bush posted:

The bit where it's cheap missiles and cheaper drones now is a bit of a wrinkle, but yeah, in general I don't know enough about the details to really have a feasibility opinion. I agree it's going to be more expensive for the US et al than Iran et al. but uh, so is the impact of piracy and blockade on a major shipping lane

it's also one of those things where if it's an effective way to achieve an objective, that's potentially a big systemic problem even if the current grievance is basically correct. if it works there's nothing in particular stopping some Central American junta or something - say, that failed Bolivian fash government - from sealing access to the Panama Canal until demands are met

the best answer would be for the current blockade to be unnecessary but that isn't the timeline we are in

one factor that might reassure the world a bit is that the houthis are in an odd spot where they essentially govern yemen without quite being state actors that can be effectively targeted by a superpower's bombing campaign. i don't thing any entity in south america or the south china seas is in quite the same position, but it does continue the trend of this decade highlighting that the relative geo-political stability of the 90's and 00's being a moment in time rather than a permeant world state

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it is not obvious that US military action short of an actual invasion can sufficiently lower insurance premiums in the red sea to make this worth it

i do suspect that it's necessary for the american military's prestige to be seen to at least try, though - keeping shipping lanes open is very important and one of the main claims to legitimacy of the US' global power - but with this escalation they're risking an even bigger blow if they, like the saudis before them, fail to pacify the houthis - and that, i think, is a very possible outcome. what then? another murderous blockade?

this is another one of those blowback things. had the americans not happily assisted in the very brutal war by the sunni gulf coalition, and had the americans not been so dead-set on supporting israel's increasingly arrogant and stupid policies, this whole crisis could've been averted. as-is the yemenis have no reason to listen to anything the americans say, and that means that what's on the table is either simple force or a large bribe. the whole thing smells of overreach by an increasingly sclerotic hegemon

and for this, a lot human beings are going to have to die

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I've been banging on a bit about this but I'm genuinely worried about the impact on Yemeni fishing and any other nautical activities, seeing as how at least some of the blockade/piracy has been boat-based. Even with the relatively limited US objectives, "what if we partially blockade Yemeni ports, just to prevent pirates" could get real unpleasant all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

it is not obvious that US military action short of an actual invasion can sufficiently lower insurance premiums in the red sea to make this worth it

They've now turned the entire region into a warzone, so all that's going to do is make the current premiums skyrocket