Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Yes it absolutely has to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
it would be impossible for them to find someone of higher moral standing,

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

grobbo posted:

UKMT-ers who've undergone the miracle of British birth in the past couple of years - what was your experience like, anything to watch out for, and any advice or tips on getting through the process intact and safe?

My partner's newly pregnant (hooray!) but we keep hearing horror stories from our friends about how much worse things have got in maternity wards since the start of the pandemic, and as she's a woman of colour I'm spending a lot of time worrying about the exponentially increased chance of her dying due to something that the NHS politely describes as 'unconscious empathy bias' amongst healthcare professionals.

I was just reading our nearest hospital's google reviews, and there's a one-star story from a woman who was waiting in a supported-standing position with nobody checking in on her. Her partner kept pushing the buzzer as her baby unexpectedly started to crown but nobody came to help - so he had to catch the baby and prevent it from hitting the floor.

Finally the midwife showed up, promptly lied on the notes that she'd been in the room the entire time, and then forgot to do any of the post-natal checks.

So I'm feeling good right now, very positive.

Well I became a great auntie again just before midnight last night - nephew's partner gave birth in a birthing pool somewhere down in Cornwall. I don't know if there were any particular issues about care or anything.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well I kicked that guy out of the gang today and it was about as much fun as I hoped with it culminating in him grabbing me by the throat and pushing me against the van. Still he's gone so that's one stressful thing off my back.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

Well I kicked that guy out of the gang today and it was about as much fun as I hoped with it culminating in him grabbing me by the throat and pushing me against the van. Still he's gone so that's one stressful thing off my back.

Sorry about the physical assault, that's poo poo. But definitely confirmation that he's a wrong'un and you made the right call

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sorry about the physical assault, that's poo poo. But definitely confirmation that he's a wrong'un and you made the right call

Thanks. I did think that he may get aggressive so I had the talk with him out of ear shot of the other boys but where they could see us. I did have it in my head to let him hit me once so I could point to that as something else to kick him out over.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

bessantj posted:

For fucks sake, nobody needs that type of poo poo at work.

He would have gotten worse over time and some in the gang might have decided try elsewhere, so i'm glad you got rid of him and sorry that it went physical.

Any chance he might try and hold a grudge, or will he just move on to ply his shite elsewhere?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

grobbo posted:

UKMT-ers who've undergone the miracle of British birth in the past couple of years - what was your experience like, anything to watch out for, and any advice or tips on getting through the process intact and safe?

My partner's newly pregnant (hooray!) but we keep hearing horror stories from our friends about how much worse things have got in maternity wards since the start of the pandemic, and as she's a woman of colour I'm spending a lot of time worrying about the exponentially increased chance of her dying due to something that the NHS politely describes as 'unconscious empathy bias' amongst healthcare professionals.

I was just reading our nearest hospital's google reviews, and there's a one-star story from a woman who was waiting in a supported-standing position with nobody checking in on her. Her partner kept pushing the buzzer as her baby unexpectedly started to crown but nobody came to help - so he had to catch the baby and prevent it from hitting the floor.

Finally the midwife showed up, promptly lied on the notes that she'd been in the room the entire time, and then forgot to do any of the post-natal checks.

So I'm feeling good right now, very positive.

If you have a choice, always doctor led in a hospital. They will be supported by midwives anyway and when the chips are down you really want them to be able to do what needs to be done.

Fancy birthing units might have more creature comforts but that's only nice if everything goes according to plan. If there's any hiccups you're going to need transferring to the actual ward and that introduces delays.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Z the IVth posted:

If you have a choice, always doctor led in a hospital. They will be supported by midwives anyway and when the chips are down you really want them to be able to do what needs to be done.

Fancy birthing units might have more creature comforts but that's only nice if everything goes according to plan. If there's any hiccups you're going to need transferring to the actual ward and that introduces delays.

Midwife led is the default unless you have issues or have a high risk birth. There is close to zero chance of being doctor led otherwise, unless you want to go private which has its own issues.

grobbo posted:

as she's a woman of colour I'm spending a lot of time worrying about the exponentially increased chance of her dying due to something that the NHS politely describes as 'unconscious empathy bias' amongst healthcare professionals.

(Assuming your wife is black) It's 40 out of 1000000 instead of 8 out of 1000000. It's an unacceptable increase, but its not he sort of thing you should actively fearing.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 4, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

grobbo posted:

the miracle of British birth

Been pondering this phrase for a few hours. I keep picturing a beautiful new babby - red and screaming like a Newsnight audience member - as it's delivered into a world of misery and promptly swaddled in yesterday's newspaper like a portion of battered cod

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

bessantj posted:

Thanks. I did think that he may get aggressive so I had the talk with him out of ear shot of the other boys but where they could see us. I did have it in my head to let him hit me once so I could point to that as something else to kick him out over.

Names not Damien, is it? Just an absolute oval office of a guy I used to know, does the railways and has to my knowledge been kicked out of at least two gangs due to his general cuntishness.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

promptly swaddled in yesterday's newspaper like a portion of battered cod
Just been shops and had my daily exposure to that. Absolute :lol: for the Star complaining about something using massive amounts of water and power just to chat absolute shite.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

For fucks sake, nobody needs that type of poo poo at work.

He would have gotten worse over time and some in the gang might have decided try elsewhere, so i'm glad you got rid of him and sorry that it went physical.

Any chance he might try and hold a grudge, or will he just move on to ply his shite elsewhere?

He can hold a grudge all he likes and if he ends up attacking me it's only going to get him arrested and fired.

No other gang in the company wanted anything to do with him before this and they want less to do with him now. He'll have to go to another company.

Sanford posted:

Names not Damien, is it? Just an absolute oval office of a guy I used to know, does the railways and has to my knowledge been kicked out of at least two gangs due to his general cuntishness.

No. Sadly this industry attracts a fair few twats.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

...rascals?

I love how red-tops use words nobody else does. Like "tot" instead of "child"

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

kecske posted:

UKMT: he might be a pedophile but he is spot on

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finally, a website not scared to tell the truth.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Wachter posted:

...rascals?

Psycho Chatbot Rascal needs to be someone's username.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The only people under the age of 80 who say 'rascals' are Serbian

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

bessantj posted:

if he ends up attacking me

He already has.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I/P there's a journalist I follow - he's not there but his family are: the bastards have attacked and killed numerous members of several families who share the same surname as him. Very unlikely to be coincidence.

They are unspeakable, inutterably evil bastards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

...rascals?

Brainiac Rascal Boffs Bonked My Beagle

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I/P there's a journalist I follow - he's not there but his family are: the bastards have attacked and killed numerous members of several families who share the same surname as him. Very unlikely to be coincidence.

They are unspeakable, inutterably evil bastards.

Which bastards?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

I find the whole "he doesn't look 16" to be really uncomfortable, just as I found it uncomfortable when racists were screaming the same at young male asylum seekers. Some people just age quickly, and I remember a few people at my school who looked in their 30's and 40's when they were 16. I'm an old out of touch hermit, but isn't this a form of body shaming?

(and that's not a dig at you forkboy84, but a dig at some of the poo poo I've seen on twitter and elsewhere)

e: I was a very late developer, so experienced this from the other end of the spectrum, and the relentless abuse left many marks.

i had the same as you: puberty didn't start until the final year of secondary school and in my year was a lad who started secondary school ~6 feet tall and with pattern baldness starting

it's taking the piss out of someone because of something they have no control over, and therefore a very poo poo thing to do

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's playing on a long-running unfunny gag where sportspeople from non-white other countries are frequently seen as breaking the rules of international youth tournaments by fielding players who are too old.
It's cropped up occasionally as a verified thing, and is almost always explained as "he/she grew up in a village where record-keeping is impractical because militias backed by western corporations burn everything to the ground every couple of years" but

quote:

Lol, that black kid looks like he's older than me
is the racist sporting joke that never gets old for some people racists.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

Which bastards?

The IDF I suspect

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Before anyone posts it - the supposed document going round that claims Hawking enjoyed visiting Nonce Island to watch naked midgets perform calculations on a high up blackboard is, sadly, fake.

i do miss L!VE TV

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

i had the same as you: puberty didn't start until the final year of secondary school and in my year was a lad who started secondary school ~6 feet tall and with pattern baldness starting

it's taking the piss out of someone because of something they have no control over, and therefore a very poo poo thing to do

I was 6'6" and probably 10 stone starting secondary school. Super skelly mode. Luckily there was plenty of other weird things about me to slag off

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

Which bastards?

The ones doing the genocide.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Failed Imagineer posted:

Luckily there was plenty of other weird things about me to slag off

Hard to believe

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was 6'6" and probably 10 stone starting secondary school. Super skelly mode. Luckily there was plenty of other weird things about me to slag off

A well educated giant, you're not Judge Holden are you?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

A well educated giant, you're not Judge Holden are you?

No but I do love to dance and piss

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Hard to believe

:hmmyes:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, Failed Imagineer. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Fa, fa, fa, fa, fa, fa, fa

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Spice Girls to feature on commemorative set of stamps for 30th anniversary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67882101

LONDON 2012 JOOBOLYMPICS BEST TIMEZ EVER EVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOOOL :holy:

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
I don’t think the point of that stamp is the Olympics themselves…

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
late to teeth chat, but my dentist went private just after covid, so i haven't been since before covid and my teeth are hosed now.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rishi eventually found a youth yesterday. And the posh wee twat was still taller than him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Idgi

Did they think Rishi would only work out they were Tories if they wore blue?