Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Can someone please explain the pit bull thing. I can see that it's a class thing, but I don't understand why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Back from break and work dudes are just coughing all over each other. I guess the expectation is that everybody just HAS TO get Covid and be out a week each quarter. No other possibilities.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Can someone please explain the pit bull thing. I can see that it's a class thing, but I don't understand why.

Pit bulls are magical, loving beings who make this trash world worth living in. Some people are absolute pieces of poo poo and abuse them and try to turn them violent. Governments are dumber than poo poo and choose to murder pit bulls and/or condemn them to a brutally depressing life in shelters devoid of love where they're ultimately murdered. And people are also dumber than poo poo and fall for the manufactured scare mongering. gently caress BSL and gently caress Dog Killing Island.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Frosted Flake posted:

Imagine that the dog breed is instead a model of car that bro really wants. It’s the Cybertruck of dogs.

The government won’t let him have one, and that’s just not fair!

Griz
May 21, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

UK weirdos have been producing enormous incredibly hosed up inbred pitbulls which are now banned

https://twitter.com/sorkincel/status/1509244981478780929

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Instead of killing dogs the government should be going after dog breeders and the pieces of poo poo who abuse animals.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
🫠Lab mate has covid.🫠

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Strep Vote posted:

🫠Lab mate has covid.🫠

probably not up to date on their vaccinations

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Platystemon posted:

The government won’t let him have one, and that’s just not fair!

So this is probably the whole extent of it, yeah?

Ontario has had a ban for 15 years so when I see people with them, I know they had to go out of their way, to Quebec, to get them. They're clearly signalling something, and it's related to a sort of vaguely Francophone working class aesthetic, the way F-150s are where it's working class coded but half of them are middle class.

idk are petit bourgeois and lumpen people prone to picking symbols arbitrarily, or is it as soon as the middle class people they (often rightly) perceive as talking down to them telling them not to?

This would naturally tie into this thread because the Venn diagram of Truckers, people opposed to masks and vax, and people who are drawn to pit bulls overlaps significantly, at least here.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

The XL Bully thing is a bit different from other pitbulls, which are mostly just mutts you can find for free at any shelter in America.

The XL Bully dogs that man is protesting on behalf of are the mutant super-jacked extra wide pitbulls that breeders in the UK and the US have been breeding specifically for douchebags that want some massive 150 lbs of pure muscle squared-head dogs that cost like $5000 each

The first class of pitbulls are the ones that a lot of poor families have which tend to be more aggressive than other dog breeds due to them descending from fighting dogs, though the overwhelming majority aren't because a lot of those behaviors have been bred out (a lot of them are mutts born from strays).

Sometimes you see some goofy mutt ones, a shelter I volunteered at had a pitbullxbassett or dachshund who had the muscles of a pitbull but had a really low center of gravity so he was hard to move when leashed. He unfortunately got euthanized for 'lunging at a cameraman" (I was told) after the director took him to a local TV segment

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Pit bulls are not more aggressive than other dog breeds. That's a lie as baseless as COVID being mild.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Listen, everyone loves dog chat. But can we possibly not?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I feel like this of all threads would know better than to carelessly discuss dog welfare :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I posted the article because the guys in muzzles are really funny.

We don’t have to have a struggle session about dog breeds ITT.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Have a chew toy instead:

https://www.politico.eu/article/hydroxychloroquine-could-have-caused-17000-deaths-during-covid-study-finds/ posted:

Hydroxychloroquine could have caused 17,000 deaths during COVID, study finds
Former US President Donald Trump said: ‘What do you have to lose? Take it.’

Not gonna lie, I find the politics surrounding this piece fascinating. Like it is obviously meant to damage Trump, but 17k in the context of COVID is a fairly small number, completely dwarfed by bullshit like "doesn't the air smell so much sweeter without a mask?", calling off the public health emergency or stoking antivax sentiment. Etc.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Jan 4, 2024

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Have a chew toy instead:
Aren't there still cranks prescribing this? I seem to recall the whole thing stemming from one or two garbage studies/anecdotes, and better studies and clinical experience very quickly showed that it didn't work.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
"could"

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Zugzwang posted:

Aren't there still cranks prescribing this? I seem to recall the whole thing stemming from one or two garbage studies/anecdotes, and better studies and clinical experience very quickly showed that it didn't work.

I'm not sure, but Pierre Kory wrote a book about Ivermectin

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dren posted:

I'm not sure, but Pierre Kory wrote a book about Ivermectin
His efforts lost him his board certification, lol

I'm sure being a prominent grifter is way more lucrative than being a real doctor though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zugzwang posted:

I'm sure being a prominent grifter is way more lucrative than being a real doctor though.

looking up to Wakefield as a success story to emulate

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

bedpan posted:

probably not up to date on their vaccinations

Better than 95% of the people out there, she had on a cloth mask. :unsmith: Thanks for trying, classmate.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://twitter.com/NateB_Panic/status/1742980516759101473

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://x.com/robwust/status/1742856116181028994?s=46&t=b23kGbnuFi54qJQa-UIGzw

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Strep Vote posted:

Better than 95% of the people out there, she had on a cloth mask. :unsmith: Thanks for trying, classmate.

Another datapoint indicating anyone wearing a mask that isn't an N95 or better or dick-nosing it has covid.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Love to be sacrificed for profit.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

just another day in the Occidental Empire, really

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

just another day in the Occidental Empire, really

Independent fact checkers confirm that life is plentiful in the Occident.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The sheer amount of people in my world who are out sick because their entirely family has RSV, stomach bug, worst flu ever…

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Occidentally on purpose.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Invisible Man adaptation where a something awful goon is hiding in a basement from a country overrun by Covid and neoliberalism, hoarding paxlovid instead of stealing electricity

(I’m talking about the Ralph Ellison novel, not the horror movie)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Steve Yun posted:

Invisible Man adaptation where a something awful goon is hiding in a basement from a country overrun by Covid and neoliberalism, hoarding paxlovid instead of stealing electricity

(I’m talking about the Ralph Ellison novel, not the horror movie)
Inside Man

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

die for number, bitch

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

die for number, bitch

too bad they overreached in their zeal to make the markets safe for profit again and now nobody wants their drug because ‘Covid is mild and over and I hear it gives you ick mouth.’

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’ll be headed to Canada in a month or so are there any things not available in USA that I can get there ? I think betadine is available.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Too bad Pfizer failed at that paxlovid gambit as governments hoarded and gatekeep all the paxlovid.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I remember when some states put Pfizer in charge of their reopening strategies

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Oracle posted:

too bad they overreached in their zeal to make the markets safe for profit again and now nobody wants their drug because ‘Covid is mild and over and I hear it gives you ick mouth.’
Also, 'paxlovid just makes the virus rebound harder'

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Seeing a lot of COVID encephalopathy in geriatric patients this time around. I'm sure it's nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh well, luckily there are other options to get back in shape after covid like ???