Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

While I wait for Infinite Wealth, should I play Final Fantasy 12 or Soul Hackers 2?

Final Fantasy XII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's called gorilla Glass not because of it being strong. But because they use gorillas for labor and manufacturing. And parts

Also if Elon Musk's brain chip company is anything to go by, apes are similarly disposable

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I want to contribute to the screen protector convo by saying everyone should rawdog their steam deck but my lawyers have informed me his could be misconstrued as me suggesting everyone use your steam deck w/o any screen protectors

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Cheeto dust can’t scratch glass

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Well, i use a screen protector on my phone, but that's also something I put in my pocket. Which sometimes has keys next to it. And sand and other fine particles sometimes get in my pockets. Unless I plan on playing the deck on the beach (very unlikely), I guess, it'll be mostly safe from sand?

But since I'm most likely getting the 1TB OLED, unless my auctions just stop right now and no more come in the next 4 days forcing me to adapt with the 512GB model...
Essentially, matte screen, no protector even with a matte screen protector because that'd just make it slightly more reflective and blurry... but shiny screen with normal protector because that's the one time I'd notice scratches more.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

beep by grandpa posted:

I want to contribute to the screen protector convo by saying everyone should rawdog their steam deck but my lawyers have informed me his could be misconstrued as me suggesting everyone use your steam deck w/o any screen protectors

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > SteamDeck: everyone should rawdog their steam deck.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Re: screen protectors on the Deck… why would I add an extra air gap and corresponding degradation of image quality, on a large device that is so easy to grip? And it’s going in the protective case right after use. If I somehow scratch the screen, I’ll get a replacement from IFixIt. On a Nintendo Switch it makes more sense because that scratches easily as you slide it in and out of the dock.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If you're going to shell out the money for an oled I can't imagine wanting to put something over it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Animal posted:

Re: screen protectors on the Deck… why would I add an extra air gap and corresponding degradation of image quality, on a large device that is so easy to grip? And it’s going in the protective case right after use. If I somehow scratch the screen, I’ll get a replacement from IFixIt. On a Nintendo Switch it makes more sense because that scratches easily as you slide it in and out of the dock.

Air gap? What kind of hosed up screen protectors are you looking at?

There's no perceptible degradation in image quality.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
It's because I'm getting (now for sure, unless my eBay buyers scam me) the 1TB OLED and putting a screen protector on the etched glass screen seems... Counterintuitive. Even an etched glass protector is more reflective. Not to mention that Valve will cover repairs for a year.

I'm also more looking at the a2 SanDisk Extreme 1TB instead of the a1. It's not for read/write speeds, but IOPS is much better on the a2. More than double in benchmarks I've seen. Unless those were all sponsored videos to sponsor SanDisk.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Air gap? What kind of hosed up screen protectors are you looking at?

There's no perceptible degradation in image quality.

There’s an extra layer of glass between you and the pixels so the screen loses that beautiful “painted on” aspect of high quality OLED. I can definitely perceive that degradation. On the matte screens it’s worse as you have the panel, the matte glass layer, plus another sheet of glass. Sad!

Do it. Rip out the protective barrier. Be free.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I put a screen protector on my Steam Deck because I just defaulted to doing that with every screen...

Maybe I should remove it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Animal posted:

There’s an extra layer of glass between you and the pixels so the screen loses that beautiful “painted on” of high quality OLED. I can definitely perceive that degradation. On the matte screens it’s worse as you have the panel, the matte glass layer, plus another sheet of glass. Sad!

Ok, but that's not an air gap.

I still don't think that the image degradation is anything to speak of, but I'm basing that purely on phones with oled screens. Also maybe I'm just a cave man with garbage eyes.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

I still don't think that the image degradation is anything to speak of, but I'm basing that purely on phones with oled screens. Also maybe I'm just a cave man with garbage eyes.

Unless your screen protector is molecularly bonded to the panel, there is a very thin air gap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The glare too

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I normally put screen protectors on stuff but the (relative) ease of replacing the screen on the Steam Deck makes me feel better about going naked.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I put a screen protector on my Steam Deck because I just defaulted to doing that with every screen...

Maybe I should remove it

Free yourself.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

#freetheoled

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

While I wait for Infinite Wealth, should I play Final Fantasy 12 or Soul Hackers 2?

Ff12

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

thank you most holy of threads, I just peeled a protector off my 2nd hand deck. as it came off I heard the sound of a chorus of angels sighing in pleasure

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

You don't even need a screen on your deck. Peel that poo poo off

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Martman posted:

You don't even need a screen on your deck. Peel that poo poo off

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Peel off your eyelids

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'll keep my protector on. Mines glossy anyway but I can see it getting weird with the etched and not wanting to put another layer on. My phone sees more wear and tear and doesn't really scratch, but I can pick this up by the screen and wipe dust off without really having to worry now.

There's no air gap. No bubbles, no difference that I can see before and after.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Personally I prefer to go unprotected. It just feels so much better. It's a lot riskier obviously but it just doesn't feel right when you've got a cover on

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Suburban Dad posted:

I'll keep my protector on. Mines glossy anyway but I can see it getting weird with the etched and not wanting to put another layer on. My phone sees more wear and tear and doesn't really scratch, but I can pick this up by the screen and wipe dust off without really having to worry now.

There's no air gap. No bubbles, no difference that I can see before and after.

Yup, I have one on my 1TB OLED as well. Looks the same (they are supposed to - at least the good ones) and I don't have to worry about it getting damaged.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
The nursing pillow lark isn't just an elaborate troll right? They're due to be Aldi middle aisle fodder in Ireland next week (and I assume other EU countries with Aldi Sud?). Don't make me go in to buy one under the scornful gaze of a bunch of pregnant or nursing women to find that it doesn't actually make my gaming more comfortable!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Armitage_Shanks posted:

The nursing pillow lark isn't just an elaborate troll right? They're due to be Aldi middle aisle fodder in Ireland next week (and I assume other EU countries with Aldi Sud?). Don't make me go in to buy one under the scornful gaze of a bunch of pregnant or nursing women to find that it doesn't actually make my gaming more comfortable!

Nah it’s legit, props your arms up nicely and is a useful accessory for any goon past the age where your body doesn’t respond well to extended periods of looking down at a thing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've found that you can also use one of those long couch pillows. It doesn't quite conform to the body as well, unless you get one of the very soft ones.

Before we got one, I was seriously considering getting a nursing pillow. Our kids are 9 and 6, so the one we used to have is long gone, but if it was still around, you can bet your rear end I'd be using it.

Also, I'm SO glad the deck doesn't vent from the bottom.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Scuf gaming also makes one that I bought before I found out nursing pillows existed. It's inflatable but it's got a pretty decent covering, and it gets fairly compact when not in use. Stupidly overpriced, but if you're uncomfortable with a nursing pillow for whatever reason, it's an option.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

Cyrano4747 posted:

the discussion hitting the point of air molecule-driven image quality reduction demonstrates that you have what could be termed “normal eyes,” which seems good in comparison, actually

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I started FFXII. I had to restart it and turn the screen down to 60hz because the the cutscene ran super fast at 90hz.

MSI’s handheld gaming PC leaked.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1743271779374973078?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

It’s ugly. Reminds me of a third party controller from the mid-2000s.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Intel-based so going to be the first Windows handheld to actually have worse game compatibility than the Deck.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Intel ARC lmao. Aren't their drivers still pretty broken?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Detective No. 27 posted:

MSI’s handheld gaming PC leaked.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1743271779374973078?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

It’s ugly. Reminds me of a third party controller from the mid-2000s.

Is this a new thing from Razer??

Seriously though, what is the market for this device? It seems even more ill thought than the ROG Ally and that was.... half a year ago? And it was not what anyone would call a success of any sort.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sticks in the wrong place, automatic disqualification

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I feel like the big PC brands are releasing their first gen hardware to figure out what is and isn’t going to work and then are going to bide their time deciding if Microsoft will actually release a gaming focused fork of Windows or if it’ll be a smarter idea to use SteamOS when that’s available.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got a gaming and dev PC for my kid for Christmas and wondering are there any good graphics showcases that are family friendly? My steam library really the main ones I have are Cyberpunk and The Witcher 3 and Death Stranding none of which I'm going to put on there. I did put stray on there but the leap from my Steam Deck to the 4060 was actually not as large as I thought it might be.

Trying to think of a good graphical showcase but most of the ones I can think of are rated M with a lot of violence and horror elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

History Comes Inside! posted:

Sticks in the wrong place, automatic disqualification

On a normal controller it'd be optimal but the Steam Deck's got things right on the handheld front