Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

bring back the Dionysian Mysteries they sound lit af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Stoicism seems to have been getting more popular in recent years. Not to mischaracterize Business Gorillas, but I see a lot of that in online people who love Jordan Peterson.

really popular in powerlifting right now too

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I prefer an Ouroborosian diet.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Zodium posted:

you are a chud. and so am I

It is true

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

blatman posted:

my weight loss strategy is that a bag of doritos is 7 dollars now

This especially since a 12 pack of soda is $9. Guess the obesity epidemic will work itself out now that no one can afford junk food

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

blatman posted:

my weight loss strategy is that a bag of doritos is 7 dollars now

there was a period soon after 9/11, when i was 17, no longer a tattoo apprentice, but jobless because nobody was spending money on poo poo like that at a time like then, and living in an house off Canal Blvd in new orleans, where I existed solely off a large bag of knock off cheetos from the gas station around the corner from the house. like a family sized bag for $0.89 or something. I'd walk there, with a dollar, and have something to eat for the day. :yum:

and several months later i'd lost 20lbs and my stomach had shrunk to the size of a baseball

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

look what they took from us

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

qft brother
qft

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i am harry posted:

there was a period soon after 9/11, when i was 17, no longer a tattoo apprentice, but jobless because nobody was spending money on poo poo like that at a time like then, and living in an house off Canal Blvd in new orleans, where I existed solely off a large bag of knock off cheetos from the gas station around the corner from the house. like a family sized bag for $0.89 or something. I'd walk there, with a dollar, and have something to eat for the day. :yum:

and several months later i'd lost 20lbs and my stomach had shrunk to the size of a baseball

when i was unemployed there in 2009 i used to hit up this little hole in the wall place in the Quarter that had banh mis for under $3

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
around 08 i used to go to the arcade in chinatown with 10 dollars, used about half on the subway/bus to get there, and then spent 1 dollar on 5 massive pork/cabbage dumplings that fed me for like half a day, then spent the rest of my 5 dollars on street fighter and got really good because thats all i could spend on a day off

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

in 2015 I could still get a fat banh mi in Oakland for $2.25 about 2 blocks from where I worked, that was all I'd eat until dinner

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

in 2015 I could still get a fat banh mi in Oakland for $2.25 about 2 blocks from where I worked, that was all I'd eat until dinner
they're like $8.5 now

just 1.5 years ago it was only $6

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Xaris posted:

they're like $8.5 now

just 1.5 years ago it was only $6

jfc my missus brought one home the other day i cant believe i ate a probably 8 dollar blt basically with some hoisin on it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

a blt is probably $12 now

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

learn to code do hair/answer phones/unclog toilets/fix cars/use projectors/handhold job-seekers

quote:

Ten jobs that posted major wage growth last year will remain hot moving further into 2024, according to Payscale.

For 2023, customer service assistant manager, hairdresser, master plumber, automotive body repairer, job coach and audio/visual technician were some of the roles that the compensation software company identified in its recent End-of-Year Report as being the most in-demand by wage growth.

Others included animator, fitness coach, roofer and general manager, according to Payscale.

The rates of growth that those top-ten jobs saw in their median pay in 2023 ranged from 18% to 24%, with customer service assistant manager showing the largest year-over-year increase, Payscale found. Master plumber, meanwhile, raked in the most out of the positions, taking home median yearly pay of $82,700.

The compensation software firm also noted white-collar “knowledge” worker jobs did not make appearances among the “top in-demand jobs” list dominated by trade and self-employment positions. It determined those 10 jobs and their order using information received through a survey of over 770,000 people with jobs.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I got a cadbury creme egg at the gas station

it was $2.29

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
haha chicken biryani near me went from $8 to $20.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willa Rogers posted:

learn to code do hair/answer phones/unclog toilets/fix cars/use projectors/handhold job-seekers

honestly looking forward to the day where a plumber makes more than my email trash job

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

it owns that we as a society have forgotten that we need people who are willing to actually do real stuff

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Seeing a lot of Trumpers ITT reporting rising prices instead of the official charts.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

anime was right posted:

honestly looking forward to the day where a plumber makes more than my email trash job

they should

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Plumbers used to be very well-paid relative to other trades, but then those well paid plumbers started their own businesses, paid their workers poo poo, and stopped them from unionizing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

skooma512 posted:

Seeing a lot of Trumpers ITT reporting rising prices instead of the official charts.

as much as i hate biden i wouldnt be shocked if they lied about things being way worse than they actually are at some point lol. i think the propaganda is still underselling inflation.

well yeah. its an actual job. i feel like society would be much better if most able bodied people did the on-your-feet poo poo for a while and then as you age and your body isnt what it used to be, you get to do computer bullshit.

also like, real jobs should just be fewer hours and we should have more of them. double the amount of plumbers and pay them twice as much and give them 1/3 the hours.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

actionjackson posted:

is there a good book you can recommend on this?

I'm new with this but I'm doing Meditations by Marcus Aurelius rn

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

there's a doctor guy out there who's all about it as well, can't remember his name

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm new with this but I'm doing Meditations by Marcus Aurelius rn

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42085305-a-handbook-for-new-stoics is more structured. i came across it via revleft radio, it goes well with reading marx and being involved in a real world org of some kind

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

Stoicism seems to have been getting more popular in recent years. Not to mischaracterize Business Gorillas, but I see a lot of that in online people who love Jordan Peterson.

Granted I'm pretty new to all of this but it feels very much like Peterson insofar as "you need to live a morally just & ordered life, don't sweat the small stuff, and self improvement/discipline is a good idea"

Listening to ManClan is good for this, it's the Qanon Anonymous folks and they argue a good chunk of what the manosphere (tm) argues is actually good & necessary advice for malcontent youth (and something the left doesn't really do). The really nefarious thing is when they pivot from self help stuff and swing straight to tearing down others instead of self improvement

The dingdongs pretending to be Cato online are missing the whole loving point of "be kind, be courageous, live a just life, and don't wallow in self-pity and overconsumption"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Mandel Brotset posted:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42085305-a-handbook-for-new-stoics is more structured. i came across it via revleft radio, it goes well with reading marx and being involved in a real world org of some kind

I'll read this too, thanks!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I prefer an Ouroborosian diet.

I see you're still a member of the DSA

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
a huge part of why i lost weight was entirely environmental factors. i was in a toxic living situation with a person who had an eating disorder they refused to acknowledge--to the point where our pantry was so full they set up a second pantry in their own bedroom closet and had to move their poo poo into other places in the house. because i also had an eating disorder and wanted to fix it, i asked like, hey: please dont do this poo poo--but if an addictive urge hits and the exact thing i wanted to eat was out in the open, it was like staring down cans of beer as an alcoholic every time i was in the kitchen/living room. the fact that i have to eat too means that the worst choice was always available no matter how good my own shopping was. there were always leftovers out on the open, usually takeout.

like, a lot of it for me was my genetics vs the environment around me. once i moved into a different place everything went great because i could buy a salad and not have to make the choice between it and cookies everytime i even thought about eating.

because america is so abundant in bad food choices, it really makes things worse along with other environmental factors that gently caress with our calories out.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The dingdongs pretending to be Cato online are missing the whole loving point of "be kind, be courageous, live a just life, and don't wallow in self-pity and overconsumption"

Ironic since Cato the Younger was a notorious drunk

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i remember

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Granted I'm pretty new to all of this but it feels very much like Peterson insofar as "you need to live a morally just & ordered life, don't sweat the small stuff, and self improvement/discipline is a good idea"

Listening to ManClan is good for this, it's the Qanon Anonymous folks and they argue a good chunk of what the manosphere (tm) argues is actually good & necessary advice for malcontent youth (and something the left doesn't really do). The really nefarious thing is when they pivot from self help stuff and swing straight to tearing down others instead of self improvement

How do we setup a lefty manosphere

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It was this until around 2018(?) when gas prices spiked. All the fast food places jacked their prices and everyone got really upset. Then the gas prices went down and wouldn't-you-know-it those fast food prices stuck.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/dougboneparth/status/1742699983298507190

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

anime was right posted:

a huge part of why i lost weight was entirely environmental factors. i was in a toxic living situation with a person who had an eating disorder they refused to acknowledge--to the point where our pantry was so full they set up a second pantry in their own bedroom closet and had to move their poo poo into other places in the house. because i also had an eating disorder and wanted to fix it, i asked like, hey: please dont do this poo poo--but if an addictive urge hits and the exact thing i wanted to eat was out in the open, it was like staring down cans of beer as an alcoholic every time i was in the kitchen/living room. the fact that i have to eat too means that the worst choice was always available no matter how good my own shopping was. there were always leftovers out on the open, usually takeout.

like, a lot of it for me was my genetics vs the environment around me. once i moved into a different place everything went great because i could buy a salad and not have to make the choice between it and cookies everytime i even thought about eating.

because america is so abundant in bad food choices, it really makes things worse along with other environmental factors that gently caress with our calories out.

A fun activity is going to the store trying to buy whole foods with readable ingredients and walking past 90% of the store

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Double Cheeseburgers or Chicken Soft Tacos for $0.89 was the peak of human civilization

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

net work error posted:

How do we setup a lefty manosphere

Whatever the opposite of "it's ableist to talk poo poo about doordash" is

Edit: joking aside, my guess is tapping into the same masculine tropes the right does (strength, discipline, protecting your community) and using those values to teach solidarity, class struggle, and intersectionality instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Salt Fish posted:

This doesn't make any sense because america treats billionaires as gods and bill gates has enough money that there is no meaningful difference between a country where the cost of living is 1% or 10% or 1000% different from america.

Power transcends wealth and you can only buy as much power here as the system allows you to

As America's influence in the world diminishes the advantages of living here over anywhere else likewise diminishes. There is no reason to stay here when the bottom falls out.

People like gates, bezos, musk etc are trying to become the next house of saud; it's less like going galt and more like having the dawning realization that you can support a taxpayer base on your spare wealth alone

These guys want to have the kind of wealth and power where they can cut up a diplomat or journalist and still have the president of the United States bow to them when they meet at the airport

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Jan 4, 2024