Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I can't remember if it was Rich Dad Poor Dad or another pet fave of that era, The Millionaire Next Door, that promised if you were thrifty, and didn't spend money like you'd never had it, you can make millions too.

When the reality is that everyone rich I ever knew or worked for had some combo of inheritance, investments in bloodsucking industries like the FIRE sector, or an ivy league pedigree at the graduate level.

(Aside: I've always hated the trope that "rich people are rich because they're penny-pinchers not spendthrifts" bc it just reminds me of how poor people make more charitable contributions than rich people and also rich people think they get a pass on treating service workers poorly because they're teaching them frugality.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mustached Demon posted:

just don't buy near a coal seam fire

Or a horribly-built dam

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Back in 2009 I was rooming with a guy who hated sports and the closest place to watch hockey or football games was Applebees. The friday and saturday night bartender's husband would come and sit at the end of the bar and stare at anyone who talked to her too much while just drinking water for her entire shift. I just stopped watching hockey because of that freak

gently caress lol that's definitely a domestic abuse red siren

they're probably getting squeezed by fast casual joints focusing on take out, these places popping up all over and ehh similar food, cheaper price point

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mustached Demon posted:

they're probably getting squeezed by fast casual joints focusing on take out, these places popping up all over and ehh similar food, cheaper price point

Unless we're talking about Five Guys...

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Willa Rogers posted:

I can't remember if it was Rich Dad Poor Dad or another pet fave of that era, The Millionaire Next Door, that promised if you were thrifty, and didn't spend money like you'd never had it, you can make millions too.

When the reality is that everyone rich I ever knew or worked for had some combo of inheritance, investments in bloodsucking industries like the FIRE sector, or an ivy league pedigree at the graduate level.

(Aside: I've always hated the trope that "rich people are rich because they're penny-pinchers not spendthrifts" bc it just reminds me of how poor people make more charitable contributions than rich people and also rich people think they get a pass on treating service workers poorly because they're teaching them frugality.)

It's incredibly lovely to say, but it's not hard to look at a household's income and very quickly determine how likely they are to ever be wealthy or even financially comfortable. Your income and expenses are what they are and most families making a typical household income or less can play with maybe a few thousand dollars up or down each year by really pinching pennies. People in that position are just not ever going to have the money to drastically change their circumstances or even substantially pay down large debts. No amount of folksy financial advice will make money appear out of thin air.

The only meaningful advice is to always be doing everything you can to put yourself in a position where you at least have a shot of increasing your income. Anything else is just bullshit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Financial literacy" is just telling people how to settle for less.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paradoxish posted:

It's incredibly lovely to say, but it's not hard to look at a household's income and very quickly determine how likely they are to ever be wealthy or even financially comfortable. Your income and expenses are what they are and most families making a typical household income or less can play with maybe a few thousand dollars up or down each year by really pinching pennies. People in that position are just not ever going to have the money to drastically change their circumstances or even substantially pay down large debts. No amount of folksy financial advice will make money appear out of thin air.

The only meaningful advice is to always be doing everything you can to put yourself in a position where you at least have a shot of increasing your income. Anything else is just bullshit.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Paradoxish posted:

And the only answer to this is really "to already have money".

There's that quote that's been kicking around as least as long as I can remember that's sort of meant to be inspirational or whatever "the first million is the hardest" where everyone sort of understands that having money means coming by more money is substantially easier but despite most people seemingly understanding the phrase I don't think your average person really gets just how much money you can make for literally zero effort when you already have lots of spare money. If you had even just a hypothetical spare million dollars you could make 50k/yr, or close to median individual income on incredibly safe investments while doing absolutely nothing else with your time. Passive revenue streams are seemingly the modern 1st world dream, why everyone wants to become a rent seeking landlord or w/e while complaining no one wants to work anymore, and you can have exactly that without even having a business or any tangible thing to rent seek off of when you already have lots of money.

Really you could just give every american 2 million dollars in a trust they were only allowed to spend the interest off of as a one time thing and boom everyone is making 100k a year in perpetuity and we could all retire and live happily ever after. Obviously this makes no logistical sense on a broad scale because someone has to be doing something for money to actually translate to anything but as stupid as that sounds it's the world rich people already get to live in.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

PoundSand posted:

And the only answer to this is really "to already have money".

There's that quote that's been kicking around as least as long as I can remember that's sort of meant to be inspirational or whatever "the first million is the hardest" where everyone sort of understands that having money means coming by more money is substantially easier but despite most people seemingly understanding the phrase I don't think your average person really gets just how much money you can make for literally zero effort when you already have lots of spare money. If you had even just a hypothetical spare million dollars you could make 50k/yr, or close to median individual income on incredibly safe investments while doing absolutely nothing else with your time. Passive revenue streams are seemingly the modern 1st world dream, why everyone wants to become a rent seeking landlord or w/e while complaining no one wants to work anymore, and you can have exactly that without even having a business or any tangible thing to rent seek off of when you already have lots of money.

Really you could just give every american 2 million dollars in a trust they were only allowed to spend the interest off of as a one time thing and boom everyone is making 100k a year in perpetuity and we could all retire and live happily ever after. Obviously this makes no logistical sense on a broad scale because someone has to be doing something for money to actually translate to anything but as stupid as that sounds it's the world rich people already get to live in.

Yup. If you had the million dollar you could put it in a settlement fund at Vanguard, which a money market account typically where money sits before you buy into a fund or a stock, and earn 53k a year in interest at the current rate of 5.3%. That would cover my rent, in Los Angeles, and still have money to spare

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Electricity price numbers in Europe is going up today, lol!!!!!

Sweden

quote:

HELSINKI, Jan 5 (Reuters) - The Finnish electricity system was stable on Friday morning and demand was somewhat lower than expected, power grid operator Fingrid said amid a surge in prices prompted by a prolonged cold spell.

Finland is experiencing an exceptionally cold start to the year with temperatures ranging from -15 Celsius (5 Fahrenheit) in the south to below -40 Celsius in Lapland.

Fingrid and the government on Thursday urged Finns to save electricity during morning and evening peak hours to make sure the electricity system remained functioning during the unusually cold weather.

The average Finnish price for Friday stood at a record 890.54 euros ($972.91) per megawatt hour, far exceeding the previous high from 2010 of 505.68 euros.

"For customers who have an electricity contract following the spot prices, the electricity bill (on Friday) may be nearly 20 times higher than on an average day," the Finnish Economic Affairs Ministry said in a statement.

Consumption had hit a peak around noon local time on Thursday of 14,804 megawatt, while demand on Friday morning was likely to be around 800 MW lower than forecast, Fingrid said.

Finland

Thanks a lot Genocide Joe, you CHUD Terrorist Piece Of Sh*t! Die in twin tower fat hamburger 🖕

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
It's like European Texas.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Financial literacy" is just telling people how to settle for less.

This but unironically

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

i say swears online posted:

honestly nowhere better on the planet than applebee's to slam a dozen $1 long islands after getting fired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RPjK6EwfCI

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Electricity price numbers in Europe is going up today, lol!!!!!

Sweden

Thanks a lot Genocide Joe, you CHUD Terrorist Piece Of Sh*t! Die in twin tower fat hamburger 🖕

This after EU inflation came in hotter than expected.

-Hoot

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

i say swears online posted:

also i'm going to beg y'all to reconsider thinking tgifriday's, applebee's and chili's closings are signs of waning affluence or a shaky economy. if anything at this point they're counter-cyclical businesses like mcdonald's

I feel like the people who used to be able to afford a night out at TGI Fridays or Applebee's are stuck going to Wendy's or McDonalds now. If you're a Premium Consumer you weren't going there anyways since it was always prole feed.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Stocks currently tanking because the economy is too good

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1743263652680003619

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
More employment means more energy use/higher relative inflation and therefore less of a possibility of rate cuts.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yea rob mcelhenney was really open about all the logistical support he got in losing the weight he gained, and how many doctors told him his health was at risk while gaining all that weight

From a few pages ago.

While he's being snarky about how all that work is a drag, I will say that not eating after 7pm (or some X hours before you sleep) is one of those rare "weird tricks" that works incredibly well for me. I can both sleep better and even before I started doing intermittent fasting, it seemed like not eating at night helped me maintain an upper limit of weight.

Intermittent fasting also works really well for me, but I'm under no illusion that it's not for everyone. While the claim is getting your body into ketosis, the real benefit is skipping a meal.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Cheesus posted:

I will say that not eating after 7pm (or some X hours before you sleep) is one of those rare "weird tricks" that works incredibly well for me.

I do it to just manage acid reflux without needing meds and it's been a huge QOL improvement

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

Really you could just give every american 2 million dollars in a trust they were only allowed to spend the interest off

Moral hazard!!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Willa Rogers posted:

The Millionaire Next Door is probably the one about encouraging thriftiness. I believe it has anecdotes how many millionaires are retired teachers who were good about contributing to their pension plans.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad is more halfass investment advice based on setting up closely held corporations and using "zero down" loans (which by the way, banks haven't done on a general basis without requiring crippling interest rates for decades) to build up a real estate portfolio. Also, it encourages you trying to form friendships at country clubs to try to get access to insider information for stock trading.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Jan 5, 2024

Apr 7, 2003

I mean, being thrifty is a good idea. You're just not going to get rich doing it. Most Americans max out their spending as their income increases because that's what Capital wants them to do and it's a pretty bad idea

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Thriftiness will let you manage debt and maybe sock away an emergency fund, but middle-class wealth was built by the real estate bubble. Those books are better off telling people to build a time machine and go back 30 years to buy a house.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/thejb_stan/status/1451230306254692353?s=46

can you imagine any other academic field where the people that ostensibly earn phds and then go on to work in economic departments in government literally don’t know the historical record of their own area of expertise?

it’s unbelievable to me that I had to go learn it on my own to supplement my own econ degree, business schools are a complete joke. none of my professors had even read the works of Ricardo or Smith, forget any of the later thinkers.

the cult of the stupid little toy graphs that apparently can model Reality is so ingrained in the field that it’s not surprising that neoliberalism is now lurching under its own weight and contradictions. we’re reaching lysenko levels of delusions because of it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Beached Whale posted:

Stocks currently tanking because the economy is too good

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1743263652680003619

Added jobs, but unemployment went up.

-Hoot

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Added jobs, but unemployment went up.

-Hoot

New year new hoot looking good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's almost like the jobs suck and don't pay enough money and people would rather not work than throw their lives away on these poo poo jobs that would kill their souls

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

the popes toes posted:

Pittsburgh’s Astrobotic Technology is launching a moon lander this Monday, replete with DHL advertisement.

https://www.astrobotic.com/
https://apnews.com/article/moon-landings-nasa-private-ffb85d2a092df8d32c0494811e6691f5

if this makes it something i designed and carries my initials will be on the moon forever :smugdog:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

dk2m posted:

can you imagine any other academic field where the people that ostensibly earn phds and then go on to work in economic departments in government literally don’t know the historical record of their own area of expertise?

it’s unbelievable to me that I had to go learn it on my own to supplement my own econ degree, business schools are a complete joke. none of my professors had even read the works of Ricardo or Smith, forget any of the later thinkers.

the cult of the stupid little toy graphs that apparently can model Reality is so ingrained in the field that it’s not surprising that neoliberalism is now lurching under its own weight and contradictions. we’re reaching lysenko levels of delusions because of it

imagine a professional PhD physicist who was not familiar with the works of Isaac Newton

they're outdated, they don't account for relativistic effects, so we just don't learn them anymore

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

loquacius posted:

imagine a professional PhD physicist who was not familiar with the works of Isaac Newton

they're outdated, they don't account for relativistic effects, so we just don't learn them anymore

Economics as “practiced” in the public sphere is a political tool, not a science as this thread already knows. It is retroactive justification for a fundamentally unjust and hosed up system that is increasingly incapable of facilitating the most basic tenets of organized society.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Economics as “practiced” in the public sphere is a political tool, not a science as this thread already knows. It is retroactive justification for a fundamentally unjust and hosed up system that is increasingly incapable of facilitating the most basic tenets of organized society.

yeah I misspoke a little bit, it should have been "imagine if professional PhD physicists had a huge amount of input on public policy and none of them, not a single one, was familiar with the works of Isaac Newton"

Apr 7, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

As we speak the public transit agency here is in a contract dispute about their covid vaccine mandate that they are almost certainly going to lose. In a sane world, mandating vaccination for employees makes sense if just to help ensure quality of service by keeping drivers in seats, but that is fundamentally incompatible with a future where social and collective responsibility no longer exists and everything is just a personal consumer choice and all consumer choices are equally valid.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As we speak the public transit agency here is in a contract dispute about their covid vaccine mandate that they are almost certainly going to lose. In a sane world, mandating vaccination for employees makes sense if just to help ensure quality of service by keeping drivers in seats, but that is fundamentally incompatible with a future where social and collective responsibility no longer exists and everything is just a personal consumer choice and all consumer choices are equally valid.

My hot take is that the adoption of "my body, my choice" rhetoric around abortion, casting it as a personal consumer choice, has done a lot to lead to this moment, and it would have been more responsible and probably more successful to use the "safe, legal abortion is healthcare and would prevent an epidemic of broken families" angle or a similar societal-health one

but it's moot bc the alea est pretty goddamn iacta on that one

Apr 7, 2003

The people shrieking "my body my choice" about vaccination are just trolling and would be adamantly against covid vaccination mandates even if "my body my choice" were never a thing. My last employer mandated flu vaccinations for everyone, whether they were clinical or not, and no one gave a gently caress.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

loquacius posted:

yeah I misspoke a little bit, it should have been "imagine if professional PhD physicists had a huge amount of input on public policy and none of them, not a single one, was familiar with the works of Isaac Newton"

I can imagine that, they probably work at SpaceX.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

We are so back

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1743287092291998140?t=KiUJ1gmeidOG8JAMfMQ9-Q&s=19

-Hoot

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The people shrieking "my body my choice" about vaccination are just trolling and would be adamantly against covid vaccination mandates even if "my body my choice" were never a thing. My last employer mandated flu vaccinations for everyone, whether they were clinical or not, and no one gave a gently caress.

https://twitter.com/PiersRobinson1/status/1742802923170525426?t=GHI3pkNS4Mw-vM9PkUnzSQ&s=19

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Hoot why are you unironically signing your posts?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

dk2m posted:

it’s just astonishing the lack of intellectual curiosity, in medicine no one learns about Humors and vapors anymore but it’s very fun to read about it, but to be proud that you’re an ignoramus is maddening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
he's a low effort troll just trying to get that reaction as many times as possible because any attention of any kind gets him off