Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

Slap a Radiation Warning on that sucker and we're golden. We already look like the Demon Core.

Please add a decal of a screwdriver that looks like it's precariously wedged between some parts of the core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Monster House reference out of goddamn nowhere in that arena fight.

I thought I was about the only person in the world who ever saw that utterly forgettable flick.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
With the death of physical netflix I haven't seen either movie yet. Time will tell if that price was worth an extra 4-6 hours every week...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Honestly, the next patch should be nothing but better, more visceral kick animations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Lone Badger posted:

Why is Walter trying to act like he didn't intend to cause the Coral Surge? 621 doesn't have opinions on anything, there's not much gained in lying to it.

I'm guessing it was "provoking a response" type of thing. Coral seeks coral, and now we know there's coral under the ice on the other side of the ocean.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm guessing it was "provoking a response" type of thing. Coral seeks coral, and now we know there's coral under the ice on the other side of the ocean.

And Walter would have known there was some coral around due to the BAWS Arsenal Mission.

I don't think he intended for it to explode in 621's face like that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also 621 doesn't have opinions on things, but Walter is clearly worried that 621 might start to form opinions on things, so he's constantly trying to keep 621 in the dark and keep them incurious about things with aphorisms like "It's just a job, 621", ect. Because we've now seen what happens when a Hound starts having thoughts and opinions outside the scope of the job, and the result is someone like Sulla.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
To be fair, 621 seems to have evolved from the brain fried meat puppet in the intro, to someone capable of reporting that he's hearing voices after the last mission. So we've regained the power of speech, the power of opinions is probably not far off.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, if you feel so inclined and you have a copy of the game yourself, feel free to post your AC Sharecodes in the thread for me to grab, download and take out for a spin for a mission, or more if I like it. If you’re feeling proud of an AC you’ve built and want to show it off for all to see in the LP, throw your hat in the ring. Or if you’ve made an amazing pile of dogshit and want to see me suffer, ring my proverbial doorbell and light that bag on fire.

i have maybe done the share thing wrong (helper sites apparently can't see it but idk how they fetch stuff from From's servers, and idk if you need to share custom decals separately) but what the heck, worth a shot, im playing through this while the LP is going on and these are what i was using for the end of chapter 2/start of chapter 3. CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTMECH!

the TOKAYEV-02 (L6NRGU3PW41):

the AMANGELDY-01 (1SA1L6QBDX57):

awaken, SPACE KAZAKHSTAN!

arguably i should have made a DULATULY model given the ОЯН text in the decal but whatever, it's barely visible at that size anyway

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 4, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i have maybe done the share thing wrong (helper sites apparently can't see it but idk how they fetch stuff from From's servers, and idk if you need to share custom decals separately) but what the heck, worth a shot, im playing through this while the LP is going on and these are what i was using for the end of chapter 2/start of chapter 3. CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTMECH!

the TOKAYEV-02 (L6NRGU3PW41):

the AMANGELDY-01 (1SA1L6QBDX57):

awaken, SPACE KAZAKHSTAN!

arguably i should have made a DULATULY model given the ОЯН text in the decal but whatever, it's barely visible at that size anyway

Now that the Arena's opening op a tiny bit more, I'm going to be using it to show off people's sharecode builds, I think I'll put the dual gats one to some good use :blastu:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

requesting a colour scheme for any arena fight: the metroid fusion suit

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Pre-Nerf Baltie buster here, and the nerfs to that thing are overstated enough I don't really see it as that big a deal. While patch notes are vague about how it was nerfed, but dataminers found out exactly what had been changed: the tracking on the missiles was reduced. No changes to damage output or health or pulse armor, just making the missiles less difficult (I found them easy to avoid by ABing towards it pretty much constantly).

Polygon did a pretty nice video on Balteus, the views about it and the multitude of strategies that people have come up to beat it. The overall conclusion was that with Balteus you have a limited but still varied set of gear open to you, and beating it is as much finding a build you click with as it is actually learning to deal with the attacks thrown your way.

Also, need to say that Boost Kick is probably your number 1 priority unlock as a new player. It is just so useful, being able to clear most non-boss/miniboss enemies in a single kick pretty much no matter your build. There are certain exceptions (the very next mission is rife with them) but it is something I found incredibly useful in nearly all scenarios. Always be kicking.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Lone Badger posted:

Why is Walter trying to act like he didn't intend to cause the Coral Surge? 621 doesn't have opinions on anything, there's not much gained in lying to it.

I don't think there are any spoilers involved in the answer - pretty sure Walter wanted to create a 'controlled burn' to light the way, rather than the big boom.

621 is a tool to Walter, but a useful and expensive tool that he probably doesn't want to casually throw away.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

bewilderment posted:

I don't think there are any spoilers involved in the answer - pretty sure Walter wanted to create a 'controlled burn' to light the way, rather than the big boom.

621 is a tool to Walter, but a useful and expensive tool that he probably doesn't want to casually throw away.
Yeah, it kinda feels like on Rubicon, qualified AC pilots are in shorter supply than ACs themselves. Lots of scrap you can cobble mechs together with, but the PCA blockade means there's no more augmented humans arriving any time soon.

Heck, after his last squad wiped, Walter had to personally leave Rubicon to go to the Beef Jerky Store, risking himself on re-entry.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

HereticMIND posted:

Still waiting for that ADA certified build.

We'll get the parts for it in a few missions' time, so I'm still going to spoiler-tag the below in case you care about that sort of thing.
Here's my take on it:

Check that boost speed: we don't need no goddamn legs to go fast. Stick to your target like glue, never relent: pincer them between a hail of laser fire from one side, pursuit missiles from the other and a rain of verticals from above. Your choice of core expansion to suit your own tastes.
Those laser handguns are just so drat good - I try to experiment with different styles of weapon, but when I need something dead right now I always find myself coming back to some variation on the laser gunslinger. :blastu:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

JT Jag posted:

Heck, after his last squad wiped, Walter had to personally leave Rubicon to go to the Beef Jerky Store, risking himself on re-entry.

Where is Walter, anyway?

I thought he was chilling out in space somewhere.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Given the off world corporations' invasion and presence, I'm pretty sure there's a way for sufficiently wealthy people to come and leave Rubicon, 621 is contraband but Walter is likely a human being with enough wealth to stand up, equip, smuggle, supply and deploy several squads of ACs, the squad we see in one of the trailers basically is half the size of the Redguns or the Vesper's AC contingent, that's not negligible wealth and power on his part, it's just that it's illegal so he has to be careful.

So my read is that Walter can transit in and out easily, at the time 621 is on approach, Walter is doing his battle manager job from the spaceport first class lounge next to the actually immensely powerful guys the Vesper and Redgun higher-ups pretend to be.

Also pre nerf Balteus wasn't that hard, the proof is simple enough: even I did beat him.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Balteus walled me for a good long while. The way I finally beat it was grabbing a bazooka, blade, and a couple of light missile launchers, then going maximum loving aggro. Just stay in its face and stay on top of it, blasting and slashing as hard and constantly as possible.

I actually did not use the Boost Kick on it. I got through by using the "take less damage" and "repair kits are stronger" passives, which gave me enough survivability to actually take it down.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Two plasma missile launchers for damage and two pulse guns on a zippy fast mech is what got me through him the first time. Later weapons made the need for the pulse guns less important, but early game I highly recommend having at least one for this fight.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I highly recommend the shoulder lasers for him.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I highly recommend the shoulder lasers for him.

my first run was pulse blade, pulse gun, and the two shoulder mounted lasers.

break shield and hammer two charged rounds into him

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MechaCrash posted:

Balteus walled me for a good long while. The way I finally beat it was grabbing a bazooka, blade, and a couple of light missile launchers, then going maximum loving aggro. Just stay in its face and stay on top of it, blasting and slashing as hard and constantly as possible.

I actually did not use the Boost Kick on it. I got through by using the "take less damage" and "repair kits are stronger" passives, which gave me enough survivability to actually take it down.

i died a fair number of times to Balteus when i first reached it pre-patch, put the game down for a while, and came back after a while, ground some parts, and beat it in like 3 tries, beginning my love affair with plasma missiles

not being several beers in probably also helped

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I defeated Balteus on launch the way I defeated everything else on launch, by being really really fast and shooting it with laser handguns while shouting "PEW PEW PEW KCHOW"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Octatonic posted:

I defeated Balteus on launch the way I defeated everything else on launch, by being really really fast and shooting it with laser handguns while shouting "PEW PEW PEW KCHOW"

The great this about this game is that virtually any combination of weapons is viable. You can beat Balteus with dual flamethrowers if you feel so inclined. I've seen it done.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, I went in with twin Ludlow SMGs, pulse blade and vertical missiles on a mostly-nachtreiher frame. The fight was pretty awesome and tense, albeit post-patch. I didn't use verticality enough and got nailed by the flamethrower combo on my first try, but finished the bastard off with a boost kick no less on my second attempt.
I never found either of the logs despite searching in the water heaps - guess I'll have to go back and get them...

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I was one of those people who fought Balteus before it was patched which I think is an achievement, even though I just cheesed it with tank legs and pulse rifles.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Whats really good is once you get the shoulder pulse guns, and quad pulsing balteus to death.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

The great this about this game is that virtually any combination of weapons is viable. You can beat Balteus with dual flamethrowers if you feel so inclined. I've seen it done.

Yeah, From really can't be praised enough for their combat systems making even the most ridiculous loadout viable in their games.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

We'll get the parts for it in a few missions' time, so I'm still going to spoiler-tag the below in case you care about that sort of thing.
Here's my take on it:

Check that boost speed: we don't need no goddamn legs to go fast. Stick to your target like glue, never relent: pincer them between a hail of laser fire from one side, pursuit missiles from the other and a rain of verticals from above. Your choice of core expansion to suit your own tastes.
Those laser handguns are just so drat good - I try to experiment with different styles of weapon, but when I need something dead right now I always find myself coming back to some variation on the laser gunslinger. :blastu:

Looks great. Now color it in high visibility/contrasting colors so it can be seen easily. And don’t forget the braille!

EDIT: Maybe it’s because I haven’t drunk the “Fromsoft GOOD DEVELOPER” Kool-Aid yet, but I’m of the mind that maybe the folks at Fromsoft need to turn back the dial on the difficulty in their games? Just a little bit? Or maybe have difficulty selection per save. Look, I’m all for challenging games and pushing myself to succeed and all…but the random spikes in difficulty can just gently caress all the way off, man, especially in the early parts of the game. Take Bloodbourne, for example—you fight a loving mid-game enemy in the first room. And the bullshit does not stop there; you have to optimize your build before you even face the first boss—deviations and “experimenting” are heavily discouraged throughout what is supposed to be the “tutorial” zone, even though there are plenty of people and guides that claim otherwise. By the time I got to Father Gascogne, I checked out and uninstalled it because I was done. Done with the game, done with Fromsoft, done with the genre, and, quite frankly, done with the bullshit. I didn’t want to keep playing so I could “git güd,” I didn’t want to push myself to do one more room, one more section, one more map. I just wanted the hours I spent “playing (read: suffering)” back.

There’s a million other reasons why I loathe Soulsbournes (for example, having to look up PVP builds just to experience the single player content and/or being at the mercy of an online meta that I have neither the care nor time to indulge in whenever I use the summoning system), but the unavoidable spikes in difficulty are certainly the main crux. Like, even if I know it’s coming, it still feels like bullshit. It feels like a cheap “gotcha” from the developers and it certainly doesn’t feel satisfying when I get through it; it makes the whole game just feel like a chore. And I don’t want to spend hours on something that feels like a chore. Oh sure, the graphics and the animations look ~amazing~ and the soundtrack is incredible, but there’s only so much glitter you can use to hide the stench of a flaming pile of dogshit.

It’s part of the reason why I haven’t picked up Armored Core 6 yet; I’ve simply neither the attention, time, nor patience to put myself through that experience again. Until Fromsoft adds a difficulty selection screen to any of their as-of-yet unannounced/still-in-development upcoming titles, I’ll get my thrills by watching someone else suffer.

…sorry if I veered this discussion off the rails into “I Don’t Like Thing, Therefore Thing BAD” territory. It’s just that I tend to roll my eyes and let out a heavy, long suffering sigh whenever someone (or, as the case happens to be, a group of people) gets on their knees and starts deepthroating Fromsoft’s “amazing” game design. I sincerely want to believe that yes, there are many ways to skin the cats they present us, but my personal experience has, unequivocally and irrefutably, proven that axiom to simply be untrue; and I know that I’m not alone in feeling this because plenty of other people have raised somewhat similar concerns as well, and I’m just…so drat tired of seeing the cheerleading, man.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 6, 2024

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That is a lot of words to say "this isn't for me and I could just accept that but noooo~".

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

That is a lot of words to say "this isn't for me and I could just accept that but noooo~".

That seems…an incredibly reductive takeaway from my post and not even close to what I was trying to say (I mean, I’d get where you would draw that conclusion, but I believe that saying my edit is basically me screaming “Thing Bad Because Me No Like” is…wrong, to a hilarious degree).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

AC6 is probably the easiest game they've made since before Demons Souls so you should probably give it a shot.

I wish most of the game was actually harder. You might never die outside of the bosses. (Though, counting ACs as bosses there are a lot of bosses.)

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 6, 2024

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh drat it, yeah, I failed to think about colouring because i got too invested in the gunslinger aspect and themed the paint job more around that. Please adjust as required.

Difficulty wise AC6 is considerably easier than the souls games I've played, and I'd also argue easier than most of the older AC games as well, especially with the checkpoint system being incredibly forgiving. If you want to make it harder, don't use checkpoint reassembly (or don't use checkpoints at all), go for s-ranks, but it's not mandatory.

The interesting balance they've struck with this game is that like early-game souls enemies, all the basic enemies in this game go down in a few shots max and you can sweep through and annihilate them, if you get careless they still do enough damage to mess you up.

I only know post-patch balteus but it feels like a fair enough fight. The boss of the first mission is worse, i think, simply because you're limited to squishy old Loader 4, attacking a flying enemy with a melee weapon is not the most intuitive course of action, and it's pre-tutorial. It was still fun, though, but i also have Stockholm syndrome and didn't really mind last raven's difficulty all that much.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, if your goal is simply to beat the game AC6 is probably the easiest recent game to do it with and one particular build trivialises almost every mission from a difficulty perspective (if not necessarily a time or score perspective).

Balteus's main nasty trick is really the shield to teach you "hey sometimes you may need weapons that do good shield damage somehow", and you even start the game with one equipped in the form of the plasma blade. Otherwise the secret is, as demonstrated in the LP, getting up close to it so that its missiles can't get to you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Yeah, if your goal is simply to beat the game AC6 is probably the easiest recent game to do it with and one particular build trivialises almost every mission from a difficulty perspective (if not necessarily a time or score perspective).

Balteus's main nasty trick is really the shield to teach you "hey sometimes you may need weapons that do good shield damage somehow", and you even start the game with one equipped in the form of the plasma blade. Otherwise the secret is, as demonstrated in the LP, getting up close to it so that its missiles can't get to you.

Yeah, a lot of the bosses in AC6 are weak against extremely aggressive all out attacks that hold nothing back. Staggering the poo poo out of them quickly and often is a winning move every time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
99% of people playing a regular game find a cheesy tactic that works then do nothing else for the rest of the game and learn nothing.

Fromsoft games have skill checks that make sure you have been learning the lessons the game has been trying to teach you. For some people, this just the worst thing ever for some reason.

The lessons are usually simple. If the enemy is strong up close, attack at range or with quick hit and run attacks. It the enemy is strong at range, rub your face on their crotch and stab them in the ankle. If the enemy is impervious from the front, get behind them. Etc.

And even with that, if you get good at the game, you can still use your single cheesy tactic all the way through to the end boss.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Megillah Gorilla posted:

99% of people playing a regular game find a cheesy tactic that works then do nothing else for the rest of the game and learn nothing.

This is entirely made up and a good intro to a pointlessly :smuggo: post

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I stand by what I said, though the :smuggo: accusations are valid.

e: It's also why I'm really enjoying this playthrough because Crow is having his personal playstyle challenged in every mission by goons who are equally trying to minmax his loadout and those trying to come up with the worst possible build.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 7, 2024

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm not sure about actively trying to come up with terrible builds, i think it's just pure chaos of people picking individual bits of gear with basically no group coordination. The ones I've put forward, at any rate, aren't thought through very much beyond what i think might be fun to see in the hands of a skilled player we just need the wrecker parts from grid 086 to build THE BUS now, right?

But yeah, trying half the stuff that we've seen here in, say, last raven would have made the game look like some kind of kaizo romhack. AC6 is probably the most newbie-accessible game From have made since metal wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'm not sure about actively trying to come up with terrible builds, i think it's just pure chaos of people picking individual bits of gear with basically no group coordination. The ones I've put forward, at any rate, aren't thought through very much beyond what i think might be fun to see in the hands of a skilled player we just need the wrecker parts from grid 086 to build THE BUS now, right?

But yeah, trying half the stuff that we've seen here in, say, last raven would have made the game look like some kind of kaizo romhack. AC6 is probably the most newbie-accessible game From have made since metal wolf.

I don't know if I'm just good at playing the early game of 6 or it's a testament to how well balanced the game is, but there haven't been any really "lovely" builds submitted so far. I'm actually kind of disappointed. That said, I have not recorded Chapter 2 yet, so the OppenMech could be an amazing disaster, we'll see. I'm kind of worried about how it will handle both the Sweeper though. It's got no real good angle of attack exploiting weapons for that one. The Sea Spider I am mildly less worried about.

You'll know how well it goes if I start rageposting in the thread randomly in the middle of the night.