Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you could take the case off and short the power switch, possibly? I’ve had to do it with desktops before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

What’s the tldw on this?

Probably fine, maybe ambitious or poorly optimized titles in the future might be a drag, but it doesn’t matter because vampire survivors 2 will be out by then

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
I’ve been holding myself back from getting a Deck for months now, opting for my frugal Moonlight-To-iPad-with-a-controller setup, but this year I won two fantasy football leagues so I’m deciding to finally blow the winnings on something for myself instead of being practical with it like a sucker.

512GB OLED inbound.

How do these things do PC Streaming? Is Moonlight built in or does it default to Steam Remote Play and I’ll have to hack it somehow?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Whoreson Welles posted:

I’ve been holding myself back from getting a Deck for months now, opting for my frugal Moonlight-To-iPad-with-a-controller setup, but this year I won two fantasy football leagues so I’m deciding to finally blow the winnings on something for myself instead of being practical with it like a sucker.

512GB OLED inbound.

How do these things do PC Streaming? Is Moonlight built in or does it default to Steam Remote Play and I’ll have to hack it somehow?

Steam remote play is the built in option. It's easy enough to install moonlight, but give steam streaming a shot. Some people report that it sucks, but it works really well for others (myself included). It's worth at least firing up a game with it to see if it's worth installing moonlight.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And if you decide to use Moonlight, installing it is as easy as installing the Moonlight client in desktop mode and adding it as a non-Steam game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mattfl posted:

So I'm sure this is all old news and everyone does it, but as someone who hasn't been into gaming in years and just recently got the OLED deck, this thing is amazing. Also, I just signed up for at&t fiber and got a 6 month free sub to geforce now. Got it installed on the deck and playing cyberpunk 2077 on my 4k monitor with the equivalent to a 4080 is pretty amazing! Tempted to hook it up to the 65" OLED in the living room for an even better experience lol

I play Cyberpunk a lot on my 55" OLED (LG C1) and it's hands-down the most visually impressive thing I've ever seen in gaming. I think you should be able to get 120fps (if your OLED is new enough to support that) + some ray-tracing with the 4080 through geforce now.

Streaming it to the Steam Deck is also wild, though I sadly can't do it with HDR yet (hopefully Moonlight gets that worked out at some point)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

emudeck also installs moonlight (and chiaki for ps, xbox cloud for gamepass)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Super No Vacancy posted:

emudeck also installs moonlight (and chiaki for ps, xbox cloud for gamepass)

Is this recent? I don't have those

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Got a quick question. I don't have an external keyboard, or usb-c hub at all. Not going to get one just for the deck right now. Well, I don't even have the deck yet (auction ends on Monday to sell my stuff, but once I get confirmation of payment and I ship the stuff out, I'll buy the deck)

Can I use Steam Link on my PC connecting to the deck as a makeshift remote desktop for typing in commands? Probably will be a whole lot easier for the long commands rather than the hunt and peck method for an on screen keyboard. Or to move files around.

In a similar vein, when I see tutorials for deckyloader or cryoutilities or emudeck, do I need to actually move the scripts to the desktop that end in .desktop, or can they be run just from the download folder?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

not very recent, no

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

IAmTheRad posted:

Got a quick question. I don't have an external keyboard, or usb-c hub at all. Not going to get one just for the deck right now. Well, I don't even have the deck yet (auction ends on Monday to sell my stuff, but once I get confirmation of payment and I ship the stuff out, I'll buy the deck)

Can I use Steam Link on my PC connecting to the deck as a makeshift remote desktop for typing in commands? Probably will be a whole lot easier for the long commands rather than the hunt and peck method for an on screen keyboard. Or to move files around.

In a similar vein, when I see tutorials for deckyloader or cryoutilities or emudeck, do I need to actually move the scripts to the desktop that end in .desktop, or can they be run just from the download folder?

you can absolutely use steam link to remote control the deck, it works reasonably enough; not perfect because it does depend on steam actually running and some stuff will close steam to use it (eg steamrommanager has to do so). tbh for command line fuckery i enable sshd and ssh in from my pc; this doesn't work for stuff that uses zenity to show GUI dialogs tho

the tutorials/install instructions ask you to move the scripts to the desktop because iirc the desktop folder is an allowed location for .desktop files while downloads is not. you can still run them from downloads, but you'll need to change the permissions of the file to allow you to execute it, which you don't have to do from the desktop. same-ish effort either way

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

What’s the tldw on this?

Far better than I expected. Many of the games he looks at run ok at 720p@30 even with global illumination enabled.

A couple show GI artifacting because 720p is such a small input resolution to those algorithms. (The ever present problem for 800p output resolution since it also affects FSR2's scaling from even smaller resolutions.)

Given how early we are in the tech cycle for UE5, I'd expect things to improve a lot as people get more experience with the engine. And hopefully the fixed hardware target of the Deck means we may also see some of the PS3 effect where folks got really good at optimizing for a shittily confusing hardware architecture, just without the shittily confusing target architecture. (I really hope Epic do optimizations/specializations for the Deck's hardware.)

But most of all, UE5 is just magic.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

v1ld posted:

But most of all, UE5 is just magic.

Everspace 2 is converting the game to UE5

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Crossposting

PurpleXVI posted:

https://vxtwitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1743434193156370925

Content: M2 Browning is apparently Steam Deck compatible.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I fixed my roommate's Deck and it was an interesting case.

He came to me a few days ago with the problem that when the steam button was pressed it acted like a mouse click and the steam menu did not come up. I tested his inputs and they all seemed to work. I told him to try customer service even though he was just out of warranty. While he was doing the CS back and forth he brought it to me and pointed out that in the input test the right trigger always showed a value even at rest. I missed that as I was mainly looking at the steam button input. I verified on my deck that holding the right trigger and pressing the steam button mouse clicked and that the triggers at rest should show 0. Google search suggested that the magnet from the hall effect trigger was the culprit. Once inside I found a screw protruding from the faulty trigger which I thought was stripped at first, but turned out it's not supposed to be there at all!
That's when I remembered that roomie had come to me about two months into ownership and said he had dropped it and it now rattled. I figured it was just a piece of plastic and said as long as everything works don't worry about it.
I looked for a hole missing it's screw and found none. My assumption is it was in there from the factory stuck under something until the initial drop. It had in a subsequent drop moved it's way to the trigger magnet and was perfectly stuck in a hole over the magnet. He's lucky it didn't short something out.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Welp, RIP my plans for an OLED Deck. I was planning to use my bonus from work on one, but I just found out I need $1200 worth of dental work lmao.

Oh well, maybe when Deck 2.0 shows up!

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

imma tell you now, you also need an OLED deck

get your scales out bud, gotta weigh up teeth vs brain

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You are getting your priorities out of whack.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Annath posted:

Welp, RIP my plans for an OLED Deck. I was planning to use my bonus from work on one, but I just found out I need $1200 worth of dental work lmao.

But how are you gonna recover in bed without a Deck OLED? Just do half of the dental work now and half later.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Just wait for the OLED Dental.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Just cut your losses and have your teeth pulled. Once you get dental work there's always more to be done.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Medullah posted:

Just cut your losses and have your teeth pulled. Once you get dental work there's always more to be done.

Look, my parents didn't pay $12K for massive jaw surgery when I was younger for me to just pull all the teeth out 10 years later :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Annath posted:

Look, my parents didn't pay $12K for massive jaw surgery when I was younger for me to just pull all the teeth out 10 years later :v:

Time to become your own person, rebel against your parents!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Plus if you have no teeth, you cant turn people into zombies after you inevitably get bitten.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Animal posted:

Plus if you have no teeth, you cant turn people into zombies after you inevitably get bitten.

And look at all the extra gaming time you get each day when you don't have to brush your teeth

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

man ea sports big made all the good ps2 games but they love making you use 2-4 bumpers/triggers plus face buttons lol. guess im gonna have to train myself to use these paddles

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The extra buttons and touchpads on both sides mean I can game one handed and uninterrupted brushing my teeth, wiping my butt, signing divorce papers etc

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Annath posted:

I couldn't get one at Christmas because I had to get my wisdom teeth removed. Still recovering a bit from that. So, my contingency plan was putting some Pokemon games on eBay. Right now, the bids after eBay's cut will cover the entire cost of the 1TB OLED. I just hope more bids come in while it's the last 2 days of the auction so no I can get the microSD card without using any of my own money. And that nobody who bid is a scammer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Super No Vacancy posted:

man ea sports big made all the good ps2 games but they love making you use 2-4 bumpers/triggers plus face buttons lol. guess im gonna have to train myself to use these paddles

Speaking of, while I don't want to go through the mill on their yearly sports updates and I'm not REALLY that much of a sports fan, it'd be cool to have one of their hockey games on Steam. Wtf, EA?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

I've got smaller hands so I find the R1/L1 buttons to be uncomfortable to use in conjunction with the R2/L2 triggers but I just always rebind the R4/L4 paddles to mirror the bumpers and it works so much better.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I've got smaller hands so I find the R1/L1 buttons to be uncomfortable to use in conjunction with the R2/L2 triggers but I just always rebind the R4/L4 paddles to mirror the bumpers and it works so much better.

Wait, are people putting fingers on the triggers and shoulder buttons at the same time?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of, while I don't want to go through the mill on their yearly sports updates and I'm not REALLY that much of a sports fan, it'd be cool to have one of their hockey games on Steam. Wtf, EA?

100% agreed. I get the new NHL game every year on Playstation, you'd think if FIFA can do a PC release, the NHL series should as well (yes I know Fifa is waaaaay more popular than NHL, but it'd still be nice).

Having said that, there's a few okay-ish hockey games on Steam:

Tape to Tape is a hockey rogue-like, but the controls are good, and similar to the NHL Series (though it can get a little gimmicky like pickups in mariokart). It's good, but you have to know it's a roguelike (no seasons - just a partially random choice path each game with a battle/bosses). Looks to be Verified on the Deck (I haven't tried it there yet). Would recommend.

Super Blood Hockey has a career mode, player upgrades, with decent humour. It's fun, but it's more like Nintendo Hockey. Plays well on the deck IIRC. Would recommend.

Bush Hockey League is close to the NHL type series, but it's pretty old now, and while I enjoyed what I played of it, I'm not sure how well it's aged. Not Deck Compatible.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bumhead posted:

Yours is a more knowledgeable and refined take on it, but I agree. It feels like we’re at the “throwing poo poo at a wall and seeing what sticks” stage.

There’s an obvious market leader and then a bunch of other folk taking a swing. Some of them will do some good things and have their moment, but all I see when I look at these other devices is “huh, I wonder if they’ll hit anything to influence Valve”.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I think this is a... generous take. The whole idea of handheld PCs isn't really new and Valve wasn't the first one to take a swing, but they were the first company with the means to treat their handheld gaming device as its own platform rather than just a different form factor. You're seeing a ton of other releases because shoving mini PC internals into a handheld form factor is a pretty low effort way to make a few bucks off of the hype. The lack of anything other than a touchscreen for mouse-like input is a dead giveaway that very little thought went into designing a usable product.

I'm willing to bet almost none of these companies will bother with near-term future revisions unless Microsoft miraculously decides to make a Gaming OS edition of Windows. Even then, Microsoft's pathological anti-competitive tendencies would probably gently caress the whole thing up badly enough for Steam users to end up poisoning any devices that use it. Failing that, it'll just be another wave after the Steam Deck 2 when companies like ASUS can capitalize on the "look! bigger numbers!" urge to make a few more dollars.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

has anyone had luck saving per game settings for emudeck ps2. if i change the aspect ratio for games with widescreen support it persists even though the ‘per game settings’ option is set to On

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How well would a SteamDeck work for couch coop?

e: hooked up to a TV

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 6, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The screen is a bit small for two people to share but I guess it could work.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

The screen is a bit small for two people to share but I guess it could work.

Ah, if it were hooked up to a tv.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Ah, if it were hooked up to a tv.

oh yeah fine

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Slack Lagoon posted:

If you mean with a tv, there shouldn't be any showstopper. Any dock/hub will allow you to have it powered and displaying through hdmi, and then you have your choice of usb ports on the hub or bluetooth for controllers. The only caveat is that you'll likely use a higher resolution on the tv than on the deck, so performances might be lower if you're aiming for high-end games.

Note that TVs generally won't like 40hz as a refresh rate, so if you're hard-set to 40Hz by default, that needs to be changed before you plug in that hdmi cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

FishMcCool posted:

If you mean with a tv, there shouldn't be any showstopper. Any dock/hub will allow you to have it powered and displaying through hdmi, and then you have your choice of usb ports on the hub or bluetooth for controllers. The only caveat is that you'll likely use a higher resolution on the tv than on the deck, so performances might be lower if you're aiming for high-end games.

Can I stream from a PC to the Steam Deck but have the controllers connected to the Steam Deck directly? PC is in another part of the house to the TV. I had a steam link a long time ago that didn't work well, but hoping the technology has improved :)