Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Real good episode, though I do find it funny that the pacing of the manga means this episode fell after the cour break, feels like it should have come before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
That OP sucks, series ruined

The stop-motion in the ED is delightful though, and glad they kept the song.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

VideoWitch posted:

Real good episode, though I do find it funny that the pacing of the manga means this episode fell after the cour break, feels like it should have come before it.

The break only being a single week off helped because they aren't going to lose any momentum leaving the first season where they did.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

VideoWitch posted:

Yeah it was a great episode but I was a bit bummed that we didn't actually get to see Frieren standing in line to get her Mage License renewed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That was a very adorable episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
JUST DATE ALREADY

I felt that, Sein.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Arc Hammer posted:

JUST DATE ALREADY

I felt that, Sein.

He's just saying what we are all thinking

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

That OP sucks, series ruined

The stop-motion in the ED is delightful though, and glad they kept the song.

I mean its not as good as the first one but some of the animation on display there was rad as hell, i'll take it

episode's good and I think the bit with frieren holding fern's hand while she's sick is one of the most touching parts of the story

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

JUST DATE ALREADY

I felt that, Sein.

I despise tournament arcs but anything that provides any hope of the focus moving away from those two bickering is preferable to me.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I actually feel like the new OP song matches the series' tone a bit better than the first one - got a mix of a bit more chill tunes with higher-energy parts. I think I like the actual animation better in the first one, but I dig the new song quite a lot.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I prefer the new OP, though neither actually matches the story the way the ED does.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Old op was good but I feel like new one fits better. New stopmotion for the ED is gorgeous and cool they're using different bits of the same song. Anytime Anywhere feels like the true theme of the show.

Yoasobi had a big challenge following up Idol.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Sindai posted:

Yeah I prefer the new OP, though neither actually matches the story the way the ED does.

Same, I massively disliked the first OP and this one is much more fitting. But the ED wins out because it's still the same song, just the next verse :33:

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
I'll be one of the people that also preferred the old OP, at least the song. New one looks very good though. Of course, them keeping the same ending is most important, so good on them. Love it when a show does that with a song, where they just switch up the verse, makes it still feel fresh and you keep whatever great theme you already had.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
I had to check, but milet's Anytime Anywhere single was released as straight up the whole song and that's it.

I kinda wondered why they did that originally, but it totally makes sense now because goddamn imagine the chutzpah if it was released as ED1 single with TV version and full, and then again as ED2 single with TV version and full.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
fall season results are in:

best boy: stark (8.81%)
best girl: fern (7.11%)

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

JUST DATE ALREADY

I felt that, Sein.

Came here to post this

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

really nice ED

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
The Frieren x Sein boat sinking before having a chance to sail :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GateOfD posted:

The Frieren x Sein boat sinking before having a chance to sail :(

If hed gone with them to Außberg he could have met a sexy older lady who gave them shelter while Fern was sick.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This is a weird time to include Sein in the OP. But I guess. There are a bunch of other poeple in there too.
I loved that Sein had a quick flashback of the montage as he realized they didn't really hang out together during those shots.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

cant cook creole bream posted:

This is a weird time to include Sein in the OP. But I guess. There are a bunch of other poeple in there too.
I loved that Sein had a quick flashback of the montage as he realized they didn't really hang out together during those shots.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets removed from the OP to reflect his status.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
wonder if they keep him to say the next episode title just to keep him part of it.
i like that they do show them spending time apart when not traveling. its not like they're joined at the hip.

when not traveling, they all spend their free time how they want.

and lol @ Stark's strong hands scaring Fern.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 6, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dude can lift boulders with senile dwarfs atop them and carve canyons with his axe blows. I'd be more surprised if he didn't have strong hands.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Plus, he was still working out while in the cabin. Dude keeps it tight.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Pan Dulce posted:

Plus, he was still working out while in the cabin. Dude keeps it tight.

I kind of wondered what the answer to Gorilla Warrior's question of "could I be as buff as Kraft if I worked out really hard" would even be.

Apparently you can work out until you can carry boulders around and still be a noodle boy. Maybe it literally takes ten thousand years to build a body like an underwear model in this universe and Kraft can bench-press the planet. Or possibly it's completely unrelated and you just have to convince the manga artist to give you a new character design.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Stark has the anime musculature type where he normally looks unimposing, but if he ever took off his shirt he'd be so unbelievably ripped that you wonder how he ever fit in those clothes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mirage posted:

Stark has the anime musculature type where he normally looks unimposing, but if he ever took off his shirt he'd be so unbelievably ripped that you wonder how he ever fit in those clothes.

He's like Michio from Dumbbells.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It's a pretty good gag, Stark looks menacing as hell here

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Mirage posted:

It’s called a sleeper build and you should look up pictures of real people with that tag, it’s wild.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Agronox posted:

It's a pretty good gag, Stark looks menacing as hell here

I think I saw that German guy from Monster do this once.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

"Haha I'm gonna touch her with my ice cold hand to get back at her, her face is gonna be so funny I just can't wait." - Stark probably.

He really is just six years old mentally sometimes :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Super Jay Mann posted:

He really is just six years old mentally sometimes :allears:

Those clouds look like boobs, and that one looks like a turd!

He goes from being a compassionate guy who helps out everyone around town to laughing at poop jokes without skipping a beat.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Arc Hammer posted:

He goes from being a compassionate guy who helps out everyone around town to laughing at poop jokes without skipping a beat.

It seems relevant that he went from having no women in his life to being the only male in the party in fairly short order.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Stark never had a lot of peers growing up. In the village he was that loser child, plus all of them died later on. Then he hung out with stark who's moral guidance was dubious at best. Afterwards he became revered as the protector of that village while suffering under massive imposter syndrome. Fern, Sein and to an extend Frieren are the first real equals in his life, so he feels like he can catch up on the childish silliness.
Fern, on the other hand, has a similar backstory and it mostly made her a weirdly silent person.

Oh yeah that too. His experience with women is lacking at best.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

Even then, his next thought was that he totally wanted to share something he found amusing to Fern when he sees her, and then immediately tries to share something he found amusing to Fern the second he saw her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Even then, his next thought was that he totally wanted to share something he found amusing to Fern when he sees her, and then immediately tries to share something he found amusing to Fern the second he saw her.

And then quickly dropping it when he reads her face and realizes yeah, maybe not.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

And then quickly dropping it when he reads her face and realizes yeah, maybe not.

It's honestly kind of sad whenever he does that, because he's never had that many people in his life to share things that makes him happy, and getting shot down so quickly just puts him back in that cycle of self-doubt.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Apprentice Dick posted:

It’s called a sleeper build and you should look up pictures of real people with that tag, it’s wild.

Yeah its crazy they contort their bodies to fit inside beige pc cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Arc Hammer posted:

I love his mental note of having to tell Fern about boob and poop cloud later.