Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pingui posted:

lmao, best read of the day.

You have all the pieces, just you know, figure out that testing negative means somewhere between gently caress and all. You are even stating it can persist after the virus causing it is gone lmao.

why do I suddenly feel like I'm living in the Stone Age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
[Pestilence] more misery expected, CDC says

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/flu-covid-infections-worse-holidays-misery-expected-cdc-106142328 posted:

Flu and COVID infections got worse over the holidays, with more misery expected, CDC says
The flu season in the U.S. is getting worse with 38 states reporting high or very high levels for respiratory illnesses

The flu season in the U.S. is getting worse but it's too soon to tell how much holiday gatherings contributed to a likely spike in illnesses.

New government data posted Friday for last week — the holiday week between Christmas and New Year's — show 38 states with high or very high levels for respiratory illnesses with fever, cough and other symptoms. That's up from 31 states the week before.

The measure likely includes people with COVID-19, RSV and other winter viruses, and not just flu. But flu seems to be increasing most dramatically, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“We expect it to be elevated for several more weeks,” said the CDC's Alicia Budd. So far, though, this is a moderate flu season, she said.

Interpreting flu reports during and after the holidays can be tricky, she noted. Schools are closed. More people are traveling. Some people may be less likely to go see a doctor, deciding to just suffer at home. Others may be more likely to go.

The flu season generally peaks between December and February; CDC Director Dr. Mandy Cohen said she expects it to peak by the end of this month. Officials say this season's flu shots are well-matched to the strain that is spreading the most.

According to CDC estimates, since the beginning of October, there have been at least 10 million illnesses, 110,000 hospitalizations, and 6,500 deaths from flu so far this season. The agency said 27 children have died of flu.

COVID-19 illnesses may not be as escalating as quickly as flu this winter. CDC data indicates coronavirus-caused hospitalizations haven't hit the same levels they did at the same point during the last three winters. Still, COVID-19 is putting more people in the hospital than flu, CDC data shows.

Lauren Ancel Meyers of the University of Texas, said the nation is seeing a second rise in COVID-19 after a smaller peak in September.

"There is a lot of uncertainty about when and how high this current surge will peak,” said Meyers, who runs a team that forecasts COVID-19, flu and RSV trends

A new version of the coronavirus, called JN.1, is accounting for nearly two-thirds of U.S. cases, according to a CDC estimate. But health officials say there's no evidence that that it causes more severe disease than other recent variants,

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

You have all the pieces, just you know, figure out that testing negative means somewhere between gently caress and all. You are even stating it can persist after the virus causing it is gone lmao.

lmfao :thunk:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
"experts"!

Plague lovers society indeed

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

silicone thrills posted:

"experts"!

Plague lovers society indeed

The Onion: Dominant COVID Strains Defeat Current Vaccination Strategy Within Months Requiring Non-pharmacutical Intervention vs No It Doesn't

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Potato Salad posted:

The Onion: Dominant COVID Strains Defeat Current Vaccination Strategy Within Months Requiring Non-pharmacutical Intervention vs No It Doesn't

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Gahahahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1743349168784257090

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

who is that

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I looked it up because I had no idea who that is, turns out he's a grifter who's been on Tucker and wrote an op-ed for Newsweek basically saying vaccines and NPIs are dumb and bad

:rip: to a real dumbass

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

without digging any further, I'll give you 50-50 odds it's some cryptofascist antivaxxer

bonus if he's open about being an evangelical extremist too

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I guess a weirdo who kind of lied about his credentials to get an opinion piece in Newsweek and then interviewed in the appropriate places.

https://x.com/decodingfoxnews/status/1622820401813364737?s=46&t=wnama2S_8JkOUK8-QXbBCg

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Bliss Probiotics makes a K12 lozenge infused with honey and it’s extremely tasty

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Twenty Thousand ‘Siegs’ by a Baby

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
lol at the last article upplaying influenza and downplaying COVID, when these are the numbers:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ariann...tory-illnesses/ posted:

Covid Hospitalizations And Deaths See Double-Digit Spike After Holiday — Amid Surge In Respiratory Illnesses

Hospitalizations for Covid spiked 20% in the week after Christmas, according to new data from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, along with an increase in Covid deaths, and flu hospitalizations and deaths, solidifying what experts predicted to be a “severe” season for respiratory illnesses as Americans traveled and gathered for holiday celebrations.

KEY FACTS
  • There were 34,798 Covid-related hospitalizations during the holiday week ending in Dec. 30, 2023, a 20.4% increase from the week prior, according to data from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
  • Covid-related deaths were up 12.5% during this period, with the highest concentrations in New Jersey, Massachusetts, Missouri and Oklahoma.
  • New Omicron Covid variant JN.1 made up 61.6% of all Covid cases in the two-week period between Dec. 24, 2023 and January 6, up 22.8% from the previous two-week period.
  • There were 39 states with high or very high levels for respiratory illness, including Covid, the flu and respiratory syncytial virus—this is up from 34 states the previous week.
  • Flu cases increased by 17.5%, and there were 20,066 flu-related hospitalizations, up over 5% from the previous week, according to the CDC.
(..)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lmao hundreds of people cycling through the ED for covid yet the dashboard been at 20 the past 2 weeks

It is so loving hard to get kicked out of med school. Like. You gotta really go loving balls to the wall to have this happen.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Asproigerosis posted:

Lmao hundreds of people cycling through the ED for covid yet the dashboard been at 20 the past 2 weeks

That's what happens when you cheap out on the display and go for the one that max out at 20.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
probably just the same 20 malingerers coming back again and again

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pingui posted:

Sometimes the inflammation is self perpetuating and makes you get sick more easily, then you get more inflamed. Haha.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
that Chris Evans guy is turning into the TMZ of twitter drama

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

not great, not terrible

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

what’s the strength of evidence WRT all of this probiotics biz? slam dunk (beets), or who knows but at least probably harmless (bad beets)?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mildly cycling through the ED, safely, as we begin to reopen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/lauramiers/status/1743375993669087302?s=46

https://x.com/dbdugger/status/1687179030091497472?s=46

fellas is Paxlovid garbage and should infected people be seeking out these “repurposed hiv drugs” instead

https://x.com/lauramiers/status/1743423698864853049?s=46

I somehow missed the “covid causes more T cell loss than HIV” train from 2022

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Jan 6, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Insanite posted:

what’s the strength of evidence WRT all of this probiotics biz? slam dunk (beets), or who knows but at least probably harmless (bad beets)?

Medium strength evidence, plausible mechanism of action, basically harmless at worst and probably good for your mouth zone even if it does not protect you from rona

Platystemon posted:

as we begin to reopen.

taking psychic damage over time

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

dew worm posted:

Bliss Probiotics makes a K12 lozenge infused with honey and it’s extremely tasty

nooo

i bought the wrong one

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

how is PhD MD in his name if he's still a student

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
he’s studying to be a phd someday

er was

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/nateb_panic/status/1743214718402134054?s=46

https://x.com/nateb_panic/status/1743224574840385942?s=46

on one hand I’m extremely jealous

on the other hand these antivirals didn’t stop mass death from happening when they opened up

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

maxwellhill posted:

how is PhD MD in his name if he's still a student

Just go on the internet and tell lies?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Steve Yun posted:

fellas is Paxlovid garbage and should infected people be seeking out these “repurposed hiv drugs” instead

no. don't post like this. paxlovid is a net benefit in everyone who has taken it. if it causes "endothelial damage" then which part of it does? the ritonavir? that's an AIDS medication. and no it doesn't seem to, based on the long history of ritonavir use for AIDS

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

maxwellhill posted:

nooo

i bought the wrong one

it has like half the amount of probiotics (only one billion :rolleyes:)so they aren’t as cost effective but drat are they good

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

on the other hand these antivirals didn’t stop mass death from happening when they opened up

imo they opened up because it was getting too hard to control the newer and more highly transmissible variants with their movement controls-first-and-only strategy, they never mass-issued n95 or similar disposable respirators so pretty much everybody was still just wearing baggy blues and they never mandated building ventilation or filtration upgrades. locking down a building or block or city with mass testing without any other infection control measures worked against wild type and it worked against delta, but it worked less and less after that and eventually the virus caught up. i think eventually they made a call that they'd rather give up and look like they had done it on purpose than look like they got dunked by the rona.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
biobot finally updated

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/joaquinlife/status/1743430246643458160?s=46

“what do you expect us to do, tell every hospital to mask?”

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Jan 6, 2024

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Steve Yun posted:

I'm one of those weird monogamous gays but this might get me on PREP.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Dren posted:

it would help if doctors hadn’t spent at least my entire lifetime just taking a wag with statements like “it’s probably a virus. yeah you’re not contagious anymore”

like it always struck me as insane, because, what virus? surely they have different levels and lengths of contagiousness. you didn’t test me for any viruses so you have no idea what i had, how the hell can you say this? but everyone just accepted this sort of advice forever. i know i did.

what if doctors make money when you’re sick, and by refusing accurate care thus making you sicker the doctor gets paid more
:unsmigghh:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Pingui posted:

You are even stating it can persist after the virus causing it is gone lmao.
Absolutely true fwiw. My mom got covid in fall 2020 and she’s had the most awful hacking cough every day since. No major lung damage on scans so the pulmonologist and ENT just shrugged and were like “I guess that’s life now, happens sometimes”

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Anne Whateley posted:

Absolutely true fwiw. My mom got covid in fall 2020 and she’s had the most awful hacking cough every day since. No major lung damage on scans so the pulmonologist and ENT just shrugged and were like “I guess that’s life now, happens sometimes”

I am saying that if the cough is caused by something that is now gone, what exactly is a negative test telling you?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Tbh, I think having tons of antivirals on hand to treat the virus is dumb when it's better to not get infected in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Pingui posted:

I am saying that if the cough is caused by something that is now gone, what exactly is a negative test telling you?
That the patient is fine and can go back to work, of course