Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

my bony fealty posted:

can't get road head in a stupid tiny car like that. checkmate tiny car losers.

not with that attitude you can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

can't get road head in a stupid tiny car like that. checkmate tiny car losers.

Look again. He's getting it right now

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

yes you can bitch

wow, your mom must be tiny

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
You can ride a horse on the trail but you have to scoop the poop, otherwise no horses allowed imo

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my bony fealty posted:

wow, your mom must be tiny

yuck!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

500excf type r posted:

You can ride a horse on the trail but you have to scoop the poop, otherwise no horses allowed imo

this is only fair b/c i also have to clean up after my bike when it takes an enormous poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Horse poop is not as bad as dog poops.

But everyone should clean up after their animals, yes.

I’ll make an exception for the falconer I met once.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Platystemon posted:

Horse poop is not as bad as dog poops.

But everyone should clean up after their animals, yes.

I’ll make an exception for the falconer I met once.

Horse enjoyers always post about how harmless manure is but I challenge them to eat some. Personally I prefer no horse poop in my mouth or on my body

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loving hate it when pet owners leave their owl pellets lying around

mystes
May 31, 2006

i say swears online posted:

loving hate it when pet owners leave their owl pellets lying around
exercise your second amendment rights and cast avada kedavra

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

took the bike out for a spin for the first time since I got it fixed up by the shop. my cycling fitness is terrible.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i get so gassed after 12-14 miles that everything shuts down immediately and i granny-gear it home at 3mph. i'm loading my water bottle with salts and sugars too

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I tend to ride local Bike Share in winter and not worry about my own bikes, but the system's maintenance has taken a complete poo poo the last few years. It can be hit, but mostly miss with what bikes you get.

Yesterday it took me 45 minutes to get to work downhill (switching bikes twice), but 28 to get home on one half-decent one. The poo poo bikes are like trying to ride through molasses. Also a weird phenomenon where a bike seems like it might be okay for the first few minutes, but then the wheel gets more wobbly or something and it's just hell.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

i get so gassed after 12-14 miles that everything shuts down immediately and i granny-gear it home at 3mph. i'm loading my water bottle with salts and sugars too

maybe you are taking in too many electrolytes and carbs? sometimes pure water is all you need

my cardio fitness is great but all the cycling-specific muscles are aching after 6 miles

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

V nice. Would be better split across the street, but not bad. Love the physical barrier that *also* prevents dooring.

The other side of the street has a bus lane for a pretty popular bus route, this avoids an awful lot of potential pedestrian/cyclist conflicts

Also all the businesses worth going to are on the left side of the street anyway

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the goto when was riding was one of the sports drink powders but using 2 or 3 times as much water

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the farthest ive ever ridden was like 8 miles and it felt pretty easy and fine.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

what does the thread think of these cool electric cars

grifters: "these will replace cars"
reality: "these will replace walking literally anywhere ever again"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

the farthest ive ever ridden was like 8 miles and it felt pretty easy and fine.

i want to train back up and attempt a century (100 miles) someday before i die. my best day was 86 miles but it was mostly desperation

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

i guess the fast model of this can go 75mph lmfao excited to see them on the freeway

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

500excf type r posted:

depending on the ground horses can cause a lot of damage to a trail because of how heavy they are

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the tip my friend gave me about how to build endurance was to pick a high gear and then just never touch it no matter what. And if you need to go slower for safety reasons, just pedal less.

I started going on rides on 6th gear (out of 8) and then moved up to 7, and then to 8. Staying on 8 all the time still kinda sucks for getting started from zero but it's doable once I'm up to speed.

that said, if you're commuting, then the book-advice I got was to just stay on whatever low gear you're comfortable with, since you're not racing against time or measuring yourself on distance, and I agree with that too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

If you want low speed personal motorized transit use a drat golf cart.
https://twitter.com/goodkidbikecity/status/1702171087717736796

these things piss off so many carbrains here in the PH as they claim they're "unregistered" and "people using them don't follow road rules" meanwhile they're idling on the bike lane

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

these things piss off so many carbrains here in the PH as they claim they're "unregistered" and "people using them don't follow road rules" meanwhile they're idling on the bike lane

this is actually an auto-rickshaw, different provenance than electric cars. rickshaws have an urban heritage, whereas cars derived from work trucks and agriculture. an important distinction when discussing EVs & LSVs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Technically I think auto-rickshaw is an oxymoron

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

the tip my friend gave me about how to build endurance was to pick a high gear and then just never touch it no matter what. And if you need to go slower for safety reasons, just pedal less.

I started going on rides on 6th gear (out of 8) and then moved up to 7, and then to 8. Staying on 8 all the time still kinda sucks for getting started from zero but it's doable once I'm up to speed.

This is wrong. That’s how you build strength and a few other things, but for endurance you want to always be in a gear that lets your legs move at one speed that works best for you. That’s the whole point of gears. Training for endurance requires going on longer rides (or getting on an elliptical for a while, but that’s just the worst).

quote:

that said, if you're commuting, then the book-advice I got was to just stay on whatever low gear you're comfortable with, since you're not racing against time or measuring yourself on distance, and I agree with that too

Also depends on whether you have a shower at work. If you’re going to shower anyway, crank it. If not choose the pace that lets you sweat a reasonable amount.

AreWeDrunkYet has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Jan 6, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is wrong. That’s how you build strength and a few other things, but for endurance you want to always be in a gear that lets your legs move at one speed that works best for you. That’s the whole point of gears.

actually yeah the way you put it is more correct, I stand corrected

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah ideally you shift to keep going at the same cadence and keep putting the same force into the pedals. This means putting out a consistent amount of power, which should be something that you can keep up for the whole ride. You’ll slow going uphill and/or into headwinds.

As you train your body, your limits will increase, and you will be able to maintain both higher cadence and higher force. You’ll go faster and use higher gears as you do.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Yeah call me carbrained but i think of gears on a bike like i would on a manual car

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my ratio is too high. I need littler front gears

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh yeah? well imagine if someone blew it up with a big bomb. Not so clever now.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mystes posted:

Technically I think auto-rickshaw is an oxymoron

shows what i know

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

my ratio is too high. I need littler front gears

The bicycle industry has played us for absolute fools.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why is this? :confused:

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Tiggum posted:

Why is this? :confused:

:shrug:
having problems with cars trying to use it is my best guess

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Golf carts are how we wean Americans off cars. Let people drive lifted golf cars, $100k golf carts, ghost ride their golf carts, etc

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Peanut President posted:

Yeah call me carbrained but i think of gears on a bike like i would on a manual car

It’s the same concept, down to both humans and ICEs running most efficiently in a particular RPM range.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

always be in a gear that lets your legs move at one speed that works best for you. That’s the whole point of gears.

i would give anything for a gear shifter that automatically keeps me at 100-120rpm at all times

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Truga posted:

i would give anything for a gear shifter that automatically keeps me at 100-120rpm at all times

The change is inside you. Just switch when it feels too hard or light? Or just before stopping, always do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i already do that basically subconsciously at this point but it's still a thing that would be nice to have you know :v: