Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know if it's out yet but Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person is Quebec-set and both really good and, as you can see, has one hell of a title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYhzyE9oUm8

Yeah there we go, thank you! Quebecois cinema and TV has been thriving for decades when Anglo-Canadian productions were still a byword for cheap and weird, and I know almost nothing about it other than there are depths to be plumbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oh man the Irish folk horror movie Unwelcome is the unofficial sequel to Cat’s Eye I never knew I wanted.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I drive past Voorhees, NJ about once a month and there's no way F13 isn't supposed to be set in NJ.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

CelticPredator posted:

Looking it up or course Jason goes to hell fucks with it. Saying it’s set in Connecticut lol

Hmph. Another reason for me to not consider that movie canon. :colbert:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

ruddiger posted:

Oh man the Irish folk horror movie Unwelcome is the unofficial sequel to Cat’s Eye I never knew I wanted.

I got "Unwelcome" and "The Uninvited" confused for a second and wondered why the mutant cat on a boat movie qualified as folk horror.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Where in Canada was THINGS filmed? That's all that matters.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Well, Night Swim is some pretty forgettable trash. Completely unremarkable and probably won't even be remembered this time next week.

I guess Blumhouse dropping a movie in January only worked last year with M3GAN, we're firmly back to gently caress You It's January.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flubby posted:

Where in Canada was THINGS filmed? That's all that matters.

Toronto. (Technically Scarborough, but nobody gives a care about what part of Toronto you're talking about unless you're from Toronto.)

Also, lol, googling "Things" wasn't super helpful until I added "movie"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

moths posted:

I drive past Voorhees, NJ about once a month and there's no way F13 isn't supposed to be set in NJ.

There's nothing more terrifying that south Jersey where everyone calls it pork roll instead of taylor ham and mcmansions are 50k dollars.

One time we were camping in the pine barrens. A guy came up to us out of the woods while we were swimming in a river, not from the direction of the trail, was like 'you boys swimmin??' and ripped off his shirt to reveal swastikas up and down his torso.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Spooky swimming pool? Dean Koontz is higher brow ffs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm trying to imagine the guy who gets second and subsequent swastika tattoos because he's afraid of being too subtle.

I had it spoiled that the family cat doesn't make it through Night Swim so gently caress watching that film even for a bad January time filler.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
One of the scariest interactions I ever had was on a Amtrak train when I was 17 and I asked a guy who was wearing a dress shirt and tie about their tattoo and he pulled it up and it was a giant swastika and the guy said "When you're in prison you gotta pick a side" .

Anyway thats how I learned to not speak to people on the train.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The killer pointedly puts on black leather gloves and there is a police investigation, therefore Thanksgiving is a Giallo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh I knew that from the opening PoV shot with the weird breathing.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Finally saw Poughkeeepsie Tapes. Welp.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/filmupdates/status/1743349112647352505?s=46
Synopsis (if you want that this far out)

Lee Harker, a talented new FBI agent, has been assigned to an unsolved case of a serial killer. As the investigation becomes more complicated and occult evidence is uncovered, Harker realizes a personal link to the ruthless killer and must act quickly to prevent another family murder.

dorium fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 6, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsXyRVQN70U

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Finally saw Poughkeeepsie Tapes. Welp.

Yuuuuup.

I hate that super edgy ultra clever serial killer poo poo, so that movie was an absolute slog for me. Rewatched it for the challenge this year, and it did not improve.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yuuuuup.

I hate that super edgy ultra clever serial killer poo poo, so that movie was an absolute slog for me. Rewatched it for the challenge this year, and it did not improve.

He was a serial killer Mary Sue. It really became too much.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This could be a really funny premise. Like a dumber American psycho

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s being really proud of how clever you are for outwitting an opponent you control.

Just an hour and a half of somebody telling you about the cool chess gambit they did in a game they played against themselves. And they did things to the queen that make you really uncomfortable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Poughkeepsie Tapes is satirizing that poo poo, where all the characters are breathlessly fascinated by the villain but he's just some jagoff loser who happens to randomly kill people. He's the greatest serial killer off all time and it's like... that's it?

Meanwhile, the diegetic documentations claim that America is collapsing as a nation due to a plague of uncaught serial killers. Like, "we're trying to raise awareness! Look at how bad they are!" It's a real smoke-the-whole-pack approach to True Crime garbage.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My main thought about Poughkeepsie Tapes was and remains "this was getting teaser trailers in 2006, didn't get released in a way I could legally watch it until 2017, and I didn't hate it* but it definitely didn't deserve that length of wait for what it delivered"

*The director also made the REC remake Quarantine, so. Maybe low bar, but I definitely don't think this is his worst film

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I liked when they implied the Poughkeepsie Taper did 9/11 to evade capture

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Poughkeepsie Tapes had some cool imagery but overall very hollow. It was practically made for a 5 minute YouTube clip.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

Lee Harker, a talented new FBI agent, has been assigned to an unsolved case of a serial killer. As the investigation becomes more complicated and occult evidence is uncovered, Harker realizes a personal link to the ruthless killer and must act quickly to prevent another family murder.

This is a pretty appealing cast and crew for me, drat! Admittedly, The Blackcoat's Daughter didn't work for me, but I really liked I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House. And Maika and Nic in horror are always pretty easy sells.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Tubi has a found footage flick called Embedded that I watched last night and thought was pretty good

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

dorium posted:

Nic Cage horror output has been pretty drat good so I'll definitely see this and I'm a suckered for occult serial killer investigation movies

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

It's exactly what it was.

It also felt extremely 2006. Like I don't think the director is fantasizing about killing women and children. I think him and his brother sat down and tried to think of the edgiest things they could think of because that's what was seen as worthwhile back then. Like just the year before they had Wolf Creek and Hostel and the Devils Rejects and stuff like that. The Dowdle brothers sat down and wrote a lame rear end exploitation film. The mask/needle scene and the water dunking scene are both memorable but like, it's just gross. Doesn't feel like anything or making any commentary. It feels like what Siskel and Ebert were complaining about back in the 80s but actually right about it this time.

I would like to see a remake where they tone it back and maybe put a story in it instead of a series of torture vignettes.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

The killer pointedly puts on black leather gloves and there is a police investigation, therefore Thanksgiving is a Giallo.

Is there a good/definitive list of the top ~100 giallos?

I've watched a ton on tubi over the last few years and I'm worried I've seen all the good stuff.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fate Accomplice posted:

I've watched a ton on tubi over the last few years and I'm worried I've seen all the good stuff.

just go on letterboxd and sort Horror/by country/Italy and you're like 90% of the way there

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Poughkeepsie Tapes was pretty much the last gasp for the "supervillain serial killer" genre that Se7en and Silence of the Lamb popularized.

It was tapering off by 2007 anyway, but they'd just caught Denis Rader (the BTK killer) in '05 and the David Parker Ray "toy box" abduction killings were still fresh on people's minds.

You couldn't just go on stage with "he's the most serial killer!" because the mystique of the brilliant human predators had been washed away - and what was left was chubby gross white dudes who are stupid, very lucky, and hateful.

Poughkeepsie Tapes presented us with the mythic version of how IRL serial killers imagine themselves, and it felt legitimately dirty.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wouldn't the FBI try and contact stores selling large amounts of blank VHS tapes? This dude had an outrageous amount.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fate Accomplice posted:

You can never go wrong with a giallo

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Why isn’t there horror themed jello called Giall-O.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Because it would look like orange tempera paint.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

moths posted:

Because it would look like orange tempera paint.

As opposed to the appetizing look of normal jello?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Have a nice day to relax and I decided on Slugs 1988 for my horror movie the weekend.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Crescent Wrench posted:

This is a pretty appealing cast and crew for me, drat! Admittedly, The Blackcoat's Daughter didn't work for me, but I really liked I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House. And Maika and Nic in horror are always pretty easy sells.

I'm the opposite in I liked Blackcoat's Daughter, but Pretty Thing had me wondering if I'd be collecting social security by the time it got anywhere. That said, Longlegs looks interesting, but I need to see more trailers first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

As opposed to the appetizing look of normal jello?

The savory seafood Jell-O of mid century America deserves a horror thread of its own.

I've seen it once with a cooked trout posed to appear swimming in it.

Hollismason posted:

Have a nice day to relax and I decided on Slugs 1988 for my horror movie the weekend.

Hell yes.