Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

crispix posted:

Guavanaut posted:

No scary forrin paintins with clocks and elephants melting all over the place just nice ones like with the horse cart going in the river.

lite bulbs proper paper tax discs just want me country back

WIV PERV-FRATIONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bring back proper roads with squid on 'em

No, bigger! :argh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Who remembers getting the squid to work like in good days??

None of these immigrants pointing their compound bows down at you through the fossil record was it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just want my Doggerland back. :qq:

Interestingly:

https://www.dw.com/en/doggerland-how-did-the-atlantis-of-the-north-sea-sink/a-55960379

quote:

SCIENCE
Doggerland: How did the North Sea's Atlantis sink?
Alexander Freund
12/23/2020December 23, 2020
For a long time, scientists believed that a powerful tsunami destroyed Doggerland 8,200 years ago. Sediment analysis now suggests that the land once connecting Great Britain with the rest of Europe had a later demise.

I know, I know, I know - waving hand madly in air - it was Brexit!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

If you showed up after the Milesiasn then as far as I'm concerned you can gently caress off back home, and we're only acceptable because the Nemedians all died out. Bunch of jumped up parvenus. Celts go home, this is our Gaelic and Pictish clay :argh:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

fuctifino posted:

This video just appeared on my feed

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1743211091973296552

He's like a constantly deflating wet fart. He's going to be our leader soon :toot:

You forget the saddest part. He's going to be an improvement on the current PM.
(Not thats hard, to be fair.)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I wanna bring back the real British culture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Beaker_culture

That's real tradition

Foreign interlopers the lot of them, coming over here with their poncy ceramics. :argh:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

WHO REMEMBERS PROPER FREEBORN BRITON CHRISTMAS TREE HEARTH BURNING???

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Because you'll cause a chimney fire or smoke out your house? So please proceed, Mr Prime Minister

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

All freeborn Britons can, who is going to stop His Majesty? The rest of us subjects are not covered by his question.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure the obvious answers of "most people don't have hearths and/or wooden christmas trees" are not the reason and there is some plot by the wokes to stop people.

going to burn my plastic asda tree in the name of freedom

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Grey Hunter posted:

You forget the saddest part. He's going to be an improvement on the current PM.

He's going to be worse, because he won't have significant backbench opposition causing chaos. So he will pass lots of rightwing legislation, to appeal to the Tory vote and line his backers' pockets.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure the obvious answers of "most people don't have hearths and/or wooden christmas trees" are not the reason and there is some plot by the wokes to stop people.

Bendy banana Brussels beaurocrats banning British briquette burning!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Feeding my plastic tree into the gas...jet? I guess? of my combi boiler, one plastic needle at a time, to own the wokes

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

Because you'll cause a chimney fire or smoke out your house? So please proceed, Mr Prime Minister

I read a (possibly bullshit) story about a family in America who tried to get rid of their Xmas tree simply by putting the pointy end into the fire, figuring that they could gradually feed the rest in as it burned away and burned their house down instead.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Somehow this is the immigrants staying in that old hotel down the roads fault.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
A dry Xmas tree, due to it's structure of many small branches and needles, burns incredibly fast and incredibly hot. I saw a fire safety video and it's quite a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also pine resin is flammable I think.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Long ago we replaced clipping candles to the branches with electric tree lights, to reduce the considerable fire risk. I think this is nanny state oppression. Furthermore baubles should be explosive

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The UK truly has the dumbest leaders alive.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
pine resin can be very flammable and prone to spitting out gobs of burning stuff, fatwood from pine (wood with loads of sap, normally from where a branch joins or a healed scar etc) is a prized firelighter for bushcrafting/survival stuff as it will take off with a hint of a spark and burn hot

it also produces a thick acrid smoke that clogs chimneys with flammable tar worra leggend tho

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

quote:

If you are worried about a conflagration in the chimney, can’t you feed the remains of your tree slowly — and lovingly — to the flames?

My man is just horny for his Christmas tree. Leave him alone

M_P_R
Apr 8, 2016

What's foreign Car Insurance??

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
The LFB have specifically warned against burning Christmas trees in the past.

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/2020-news/december/recycle-your-christmas-tree-don-t-burn-it-warns-brigade/

Worra legend indeed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
One year you are living it large at xmas, partying drinking Prosecco , feeling the arses of the secretary totty, PPE contracts already handed out to all your chums.
Then the next, you're posing as a Mall Santa, desperate for 1000 words while setting the fire alarm off.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

M_P_R posted:

A lot of insurers are based in Europe I guess. :shrug: It's more common for travel, health and more niche insurance than it is for cars though.

stev fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 6, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Or foreign cars driven by migrant workers and dual citizens? Not sure what the point is though. Like if you go on a road trip to Spain across France, I don't think that Johnny English is going to buy separate French and Spanish insurances to his car, his own insurance company will handle the paperwork.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I assume Johnny English has insurance through work.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

josh04 posted:

I assume Johnny English has insurance through work.

For his private car?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yes, apparently:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, it's more stupid poo poo in the natural freeborn wood fire vs heat pump 'debate'.

M_P_R posted:

I'd like to think it's the third party insurance mandate they're against and they'd prefer a national road accident fund instead, but it's probably that some insurance companies have foreign names like Ageas and they prefer the one with the nodding dog who goes "oh yes" and "I burned down Cork" and so on.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67899189

quote:

Post Office scandal: Met Police investigate 'potential fraud offences'

It sounds like the Met are interviewing people who prosecuted and recovered money from the postmasters under caution for fraud offences as they potentially knew the software was dodgy.

No idea if this will stick but given theres been zero consequences for this so far its better than nothing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Z the IVth posted:

You can get ready to go bottled milk. Some even come ready with teats. It's a lifesaver when the baby is screaming, mom's exhausted and the little monkey refuses to latch on.

Also despite all the benefits of breast feeding its ok to mix in some formula at the beginning especially when mom's isn't producing much and/or is too exhausted. Some midwives verge on guilt-tripping new mom's into breast feeding exclusively (and they feel like poo poo when it doesn't work out perfectly) which is a bit iffy IMO.

We had a bottle warmer but barely used it (son didn't like formula past the first few weeks) - it was generally easier to blast the milk for short bursts in the microwave. 5-10s at a time and keep testing it.

Also was always leery of the automatic milk machines because of all the uncleanable innards. Too much like a coffee or milkshake machine for my liking. There were some odd reports of food poisoning from them which is not something you want a newborn to have.

Yeah those are a great option too and you should always keep a bottle or two of that in your changing bag for emergencies, but they come in super handy vs the powder (though they're a tad pricier).

The bottle prep machine we got was the tommee tippee one and it's basically a glorified hot water maker (kind of like the nespressos). You put the powder in the bottle itself and then just add water to the tank of the machine. That goes through a water filter thing like the Britta ones i guess and when you make a bottle it passes that water through a heating element so that it comes out at 70 degrees or whatever to help dissolve the formula in the bottle. The rest of the bottle is then topped up with the remaining cooler filtered water that was in the tank to bring it to feeding temperature.

We've not had any problem with it, but we cycle through the water fairly regularly to make sure it's relatively fresh and use the cleaning/descaling cycles regularly too.

Another thing popped into my mind with being a new parent too and it's about just how much your lifestyle changes. We were very comfy in our routine of work -> commute -> evening relaxing -> sleep/wake repeat that it was a bit of a huge system shock when the first kid came along.

It sounds extreme, but if you've still got most of the pregnancy to go, I'd almost recommend trying to preemptively dial back any free/relaxing time you've got just now so that it's less of a change. Maybe do some volunteering or something (if you don't already).

For example, right now both of my kids are having their midday nap and I'm trying to decide whether i use the next hour and a half to get some chores done or watch a TV show or something. Free "grown-up" time becomes a big luxury in the early years.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm 4 weeks in to a new baby and yes the shock to the routine has probably been the worst thing for me. That and the sleep loss.

The days of having 3-4 hours to do 'whatever' no longer exist. I came home from work last night and just took the baby until we went to bed, and then i got up at 4am and had the baby until 9.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

we were fortunate that my wife was able to breastfeed both our kids, the stuff is basically magic. Mostly thanks to the nearby clinic support group for new mothers, i cant imagine how much tougher it would be without access to a resource like that. It's also perfect for the lazy dads of the world since there's no faffing about with powder and bottles and sterilising

e: my pro tip for new parents is to get familiar with medicines and dosing now while youre a functional human, before you need to use them. there is nothing worse than trying to figure out how much of X to give a shrieking baby at 3am when you're running on fumes yourself

kecske fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 6, 2024

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Congratulations and good luck to the new goon parents out there. It's an absolute headfuck at first, but mine are 2 and 4 now, and generally speaking it's just loads of fun and joy (and, of course, immeasurable stress).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Do not give babies x, you don't want a libertarian racist.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Our second was born just under a month ago, happy to do a bit of an effortpost with our experiences later on when I have a proper keyboard available. Generally the second one was much less stressful since you now know how a baby works generally, but the downside is that you also have a toddler to take care of at the same time. Baby 2 is spitting up milk at least once a day though which we aren't used to, as our oldest rarely spit up anything at all. Both were/are exclusively breastfed

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

crispix posted:

no potlitlical correct wheelie bins no weird lite bulbs proper paper tax discs just want me country back

nunna theez indian an chinees an italian takeaways, just greggs from sea to shining sea.

and nunna that vegan rubbish neeva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do not give babies x, you don't want a libertarian racist.

i knew buttercup had a mean streak but I didn't think they were that bad