Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Sunk Dunk posted:

the disaster artist audio book is super good btw. i recommend it to everyone. greg does a PERFECT tommy impression throughout. it makes the disaster artist movie look like poo poo
yeah the movie was kind of a weird revisionist fluff piece, I assume because of wiseau's direct involvement. in the book sestero is constantly comparing him to the talented mr. ripley lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

FeculentWizardTits posted:

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I think Bernthal is an okay actor but absolutely not the kind of guy that anyone would be a huge fan of

Yeah he buys into the "he's an actual tough guy from the streets" poo poo and who am I to ruin that for him. I just come here to vent instead.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

poisonpill posted:

The cobra racer guy from speed racer died :(

HIS NAME IS SNAKE OILER
AND HES GONNA PINCH THESE TURDS...
OFF!

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Speed Racer has such great line delivery. When they reject Royalton's offer and are leaving his office, Royalton belts out the most drippingly orgasmic YEEEEEHHHHSSS

Also Snake Oiler being told the other drivers are better than him. "Like.. (thinks for a moment) HELL they are!"

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

You are a nerd posted:

Is there still anybody streaming b movies on discord on fridays, or did that worthless dork who tried to stop them succeed?

still doing it, just haven't bothered posting the invite in the thread 'cause i figured by this point anyone interested would already be on the server

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

the disaster artist audio book is super good btw. i recommend it to everyone. greg does a PERFECT tommy impression throughout. it makes the disaster artist movie look like poo poo

I might have to check that out. I've read the book, which is hysterical. I did it all in one sitting on a lazy Sunday afternoon and I was laughing out loud more than during most comedies.

fuzzyduckbutt
Mar 3, 2016
I've been watching ToS for the first time and god Shatner was so beautiful, I wish I'd been around back then I could've fixed whatever's wrong with him

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

fuzzyduckbutt posted:

I've been watching ToS for the first time and god Shatner was so beautiful, I wish I'd been around back then I could've fixed whatever's wrong with him

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Dr. Thoss posted:

still doing it, just haven't bothered posting the invite in the thread 'cause i figured by this point anyone interested would already be on the server

it's a new thread. post links for all the fresh young faces

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I read In Cold Blood and then I went and watched two similar movies about the event that came out a year apart: Infamous and Capote. The latter (which I'd seen ages ago in college) really is just a better movie than the former. Infamous is much more over the top, almost comedic in parts, which leads to a tone problem where it's clear that the movie doesn't actually care about the victims and the affected community at all. Plus the crux of the movie is just dumb as hell. Basically, it posits the idea that Perry brutally murdered that family because he was a sensitive little gayboy and his friend said a slur :(. Then him and Capote fall in love after a rape attempt and begin a torrid love affair. Just...dumb. Capote, meanwhile is a lot more nuanced, more interested in exploring the complicity of the author in turning an act of horrific violence into a best-selling novel. The acting in both films is fantastic, though, and I think I might prefer Infamous' Harper Lee, or at least she has more to do. The one exception was Daniel Craig as Perry, making him into a deep-voiced, confident, tortured intellectual completely misses the point.

Anyway, is Capote PSH's only leading role? I guess he's almost the deuteragonist in The Master?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 6, 2024

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Mordja posted:

I read In Cold Blood and then I went and watched two similar movies about the event that came out a year apart: Infamous and Capote. The latter (which I'd seen ages ago in college) really is just a better movie than the former. Infamous is much more over the top, almost comedic in parts, which leads to a tone problem where it's clear that the movie doesn't actually care about the victims and the affected community at all. Plus the crux of the movie is just dumb as hell. Basically, it posits the idea that Perry brutally murdered that family because he was a sensitive little gayboy and his friend said a slur :(. Then him and Capote fall in love after a rape attempt and begin a torrid love affair. Just...dumb. Capote, meanwhile is a lot more nuanced, more interested in exploring the complicity of the author in turning an act of horrific violence into a best-selling novel. The acting in both films is fantastic, though, and I think I might prefer Infamous' Harper Lee, or at least she has more to do. The one exception was Daniel Craig as Perry, making him into a deep-voiced, confident, tortured intellectual completely misses the point.

Anyway, is Capote PSH's only leading role? I guess he's almost the deuteragonist in The Master?

you should absolutely watch the 1967 film.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Mordja posted:

Synecdoche, New York

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The Holdovers is on Peacock. I was *this* close to paying the ridiculous rental fee to see it last week, glad I waited. It’s extremely good.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Mordja posted:

He's the lead in Owning Mahowny, which is a really good movie about a banker who's using his job to fund his gambling addiction and features John Hurt with a hilarious flattop haircut and a sometimes goofy American accent. He also leads in Love Liza where he plays a guy addicted to huffing model airplane fuel as a means of coping with his wife's death. It's pretty good too.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Mordja posted:

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kalel posted:

just to be completely clear for everyone else: nobody says "it's morbin time" in the movie, it's just an internet joke. I haven't seen the movie but I know in my heart it can't be real

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I guess you do have to consider him secondary to Joaquin in The Master, but that's my favorite PT Anderson film, my favorite PSH film, and a personal hall-of-famer overall. I'd endorse the prior recommendations for Synecdoche, New York (this one in particular), Love Liza, and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. I'd also give mentions to other lead/quasi-lead roles which include A Most Wanted Man (straight up lead), The Savages (perhaps co-lead with Laura Linney), and Flawless (arguably second to De Niro but he got at least one award nom for lead although this one isn't as good as the others).

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

I guess you do have to consider him secondary to Joaquin in The Master, but that's my favorite PT Anderson film, my favorite PSH film, and a personal hall-of-famer overall.

:emptyquote:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just wanted to add to the consensus: Dredd is a fantastic action film.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

I guess you do have to consider him secondary to Joaquin in The Master, but that's my favorite PT Anderson film, my favorite PSH film, and a personal hall-of-famer overall. I'd endorse the prior recommendations for Synecdoche, New York (this one in particular), Love Liza, and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. I'd also give mentions to other lead/quasi-lead roles which include A Most Wanted Man (straight up lead), The Savages (perhaps co-lead with Laura Linney), and Flawless (arguably second to De Niro but he got at least one award nom for lead although this one isn't as good as the others).

Hoffman’s delivery of the line “You PIG gently caress!!!” occasionally enters into my thoughts at random because of that movie. Tremendous performance, tremendous film. He is definitely not second banana to Joaquin in that. It’s practically a love story, they share top billing imo.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Punch Drunk Love was my introduction to PSH, I loved his role in it. I should give that another watch it's been over a decade since I last saw it.

fuzzyduckbutt
Mar 3, 2016

I wasn't talking to you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ferrari was extremely mid. No idea why Mann made it. Ridders would have knocked it out in a weekend.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

Hoffman’s delivery of the line “You PIG gently caress!!!” occasionally enters into my thoughts at random because of that movie. Tremendous performance, tremendous film. He is definitely not second banana to Joaquin in that. It’s practically a love story, they share top billing imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRLvrE5zX6o

That's a favorite line reading of mine too, I laugh every time I watch it. And yeah, not only is it a great co-dependent love story, it's one of the greatest films about alcoholism.

FAKE EDIT: Also his reaction to his own outburst when he vainly tries to appear composed even though he just called a mild-mannered skeptic a "pig gently caress." PSH was the king.

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 6, 2024

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhv7bgmz64

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

fuzzyduckbutt posted:

I wasn't talking to you

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Get ready for some posts

Crescent Wrench posted:

Always watch Phantasm

Kingo Ligma posted:

I'd put Gerard Butler and his X has fallen firmly in this camp, he's getting old as poo poo too though.

I think the thread consensus last time this general topic came up is that the woke mind virus has made beefcake illegal and we live in the age of the power twink.

Plausible but disappointing imo. I miss large men beating each other up as an ex-insert military or intelligence agency here agent who is avenging their insert family relations death here.

NorgLyle posted:

After it was featured on BotW, I tracked down a copy of Stone Cold starring Brian Bosworth and it is even more fantastic than the episode made it look. It literally feels like watching Norm MacDonald describe a parody of 80s action movies in a completely deadpan way where you're never actually sure if you're supposed to be laughing or not.

Lol I rented it from Blockbuster when I was a kid and thought it was amazing, watching it as an adult it continues to be amazing.

ProperCauldron posted:

I feel like John Cena and Dave Bautista were gearing up for this type of career, but turns out both of them can do drama and comedy roles too. Plus they seem like more down to earth, empathic people that aren't demanding to make movies about beefcakeishly blowing the evildoers' heads off. Actually, that's probably why they're overall better actors than the 80s staples in the first place.

Yeah I figured when he did The Marine that Cena would go that way but he became a rapper instead. Stone Cold has a handful of generic action movies around on Tubi.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I just finished Paul T Goldman, the new show by Jason Woliner, and man was that weird. It’s a six episode docuseries about… uh, a born-divorced guy who… believes he has uncovered some terrible truths about his latest ex. Can’t say too much without spoiling it.

fuzzyduckbutt
Mar 3, 2016

hey :biglips:

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
guys.....GUYS

https://www.thenationalnews.com/arts-culture/2024/01/05/jerry-lewis/

Controversial Jerry Lewis film to screen in public for first time after 52 years
The Day the Clown Cried, a passion project for its star and director, reached mythical status after he refused to release it in his lifetime

-screening in Virigina in June, maybe perhaps

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

ProperCauldron posted:

guys.....GUYS

Controversial Jerry Lewis film to screen in public for first time after 52 years
The Day the Clown Cried, a passion project for its star and director, reached mythical status after he refused to release it in his lifetime

I was just thinking about this yesterday after I watched the law & order ep with him

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

How do you get tickets? Goon project

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ProperCauldron posted:

guys.....GUYS

the screening will be held not far from where I live. it sounds like it's a private or semi-private screening, the guest list will probably be VIPs and other rich people, but if I get a ticket I'll drive there myself and report back with a review

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonna watch Escape from L.A. with dinner in a little while. What does the thread think about it? I've only seen it once before and I remember it not being great, but that was probably 15 years ago, so it's been a long time.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

quote:

While there were several alleged issues during the shoot itself, problems reportedly arose between Lewis and producer Nat Wachsberger once filming stopped, the main catalyst for the film being shelved.

Lewis was reportedly unhappy with the film’s financing and announced that Wachsberger did not fulfill his obligations. Hearing this, Wachsberger threatened to sue Lewis for breach of contract, resulting in a fallout between the two that caused Lewis to leave with a rough cut of the film, according to a 2018 feature in The New York Times.

Lol I always thought he wouldn't allow it to be shown because the subject matter was too depressing, just being a slap fight over financing makes it much less interesting.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

Gonna watch Escape from L.A. with dinner in a little while. What does the thread think about it? I've only seen it once before and I remember it not being great, but that was probably 15 years ago, so it's been a long time.

Not as good as NY but it's okish.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Prepare for the cheese!

I was disappointed when I first saw it because of the cheese.

Not I like it because of the cheese.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

mysterious frankie posted:

The Holdovers is on Peacock. I was *this* close to paying the ridiculous rental fee to see it last week, glad I waited. It’s extremely good.

Really? I've seen the trailers before most of the movies I'v seen recently, and it looks pretty hokey/rubbish

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Escape from LA is really bad, sadly. The ending loving rules though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Just remember, The Last Jedi stole its climatic boss fight from Escape From L.A. :hurr: