Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

I realise I never actually took any photos of my 10mm English Civil War armies when they're substantially complete, so here they are:

brilliant, love them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Feel like I shouldn't have made these smaller throwaway models so complicated, but I also wanted to work through all the potential problems on something less important.

Still not entirely sure how I'm going to paint all the fur trim.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I realise I never actually took any photos of my 10mm English Civil War armies when they're substantially complete, so here they are:

*ahem* Pennies where?

(they look great)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

AndyElusive posted:

*ahem* Pennies where?

(they look great)

*camera pans out to reveal that the table is itself, just a heavily verdigris penny"

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Lostconfused posted:

Feel like I shouldn't have made these smaller throwaway models so complicated, but I also wanted to work through all the potential problems on something less important.

gold is one of those colours that does not go over white or grey well at all. i think you’d be better served repainting the gold in brown/red/black/deep purple then painting that gold. as for the fur, maybe a deep brown with a lighter brown or blonde dry brushed over it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lostconfused posted:

unless you have absolutely insane neurosurgery levels of dexterity and are using literal scalpels for brushes, painting trim is difficult without accidentally spilling over the edges. However, the trick is to paint it first and then fill in the middle bits to cover up the accidental spillovers.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Is there any reason not to put a drop or two of paint into colored primer in order to change the color a little? I've got some Pro Acryl Dark Camo Green to use as a primer and shading for my Blood Angels and it's a really cool color but not quite as green as I'd like so a drop or two of a dark green paint should get me closer to the color I want but I also don't want to gently caress up the actual primer part of it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

rantmo posted:

Is there any reason not to put a drop or two of paint into colored primer in order to change the color a little? I've got some Pro Acryl Dark Camo Green to use as a primer and shading for my Blood Angels and it's a really cool color but not quite as green as I'd like so a drop or two of a dark green paint should get me closer to the color I want but I also don't want to gently caress up the actual primer part of it.

Should be fine just fine. AFAIK acrylic primers are basically just paint w/ an additive, usually polyurethane. So adding a little more paint won't hurt.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

We had this long discussion a few pages ago about primer but tl:Dr is a lot of hobby primer isn't really proper primer (certainly none of GW's stuff is) but for plastic minis it doesn't really matter as even bog standard acrylic will hold well enough.

It's a different story if you're painting resin and especially metal but for plastic don't sweat it and mix away.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

Fur's easy as long as you have a decent degree of brush control which you do judging by the trim job. Get appropriate Contrast and slap on.

Your trim would benefit from a careful wash, partly to line it so if stands out from the white, and partly to hide any messy edges.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The only thing I’d say is there may not be much point, for example if it’s so you don’t have to basecoat, you’re stuffed if you want to fix any mistakes because your basecoat colour doesn’t exist.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

unless you have absolutely insane neurosurgery levels of dexterity and are using literal scalpels for brushes, painting trim is difficult without accidentally spilling over the edges. However, the trick is to paint it first and then fill in the middle bits to cover up the accidental spillovers.

Oh good lord! Embarrassed to say I'd never thought to do trim first.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Virtual Russian posted:

Yeah, the best recommendation I was given for Chaos Marines (who are basically 50% trim by volume) was to basecoat the entire model the trim colour and then just use regular paints with good coverage to “colour-in” the panels.

The easiest example here is to prime Black Legion minis metallic gold, use the Black Legion contrast paint (which has absurd coverage) to fill in the flat panels and then highlight or wash as necessary.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Virtual Russian posted:

it's part of the general plan of "do the hard parts first, then the easy parts"

Like if you're painting one part with something that has garbage coverage, do that first and be lazy with it. Then on the other parts with paints that cover extremely well you'll have to focus a tiny bit in comparison but only have to do it once instead of 3 times

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Brush control depends entirely on how much beer you had for lunch and or dinner.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ooooh just saw that one of my FLGSs stocks Pro Acryl paints now! I'm going to swing by and buy a couple this weekend.

Are there some must haves you guys suggest? How are their metallics?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Ooooh just saw that one of my FLGSs stocks Pro Acryl paints now! I'm going to swing by and buy a couple this weekend.

The entire line is excellent but takes some getting used to. The paints have a very thin consistency, almost as thin as airbrush paint lines. They still have very good opacity, but you should expect to apply multiple coats. The Transparent paints are excellent for glazing. Their washes dry matte and have fairly significant staining outside of recesses.

The influencer sets are also fine, but make sure you check before buying: some of them are satins, or glosses, or ultraflats. This is not bad but it may not be your style.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

AndyElusive posted:

I’m a massive Pro Acryl dummy so have their full line, a non-exhaustive list of my faves:

Bold titanium white (holy poo poo)
Burnt red
Burnt orange
Shadow flesh
Magenta
Mahogany

From the signature series:
Payne’s grey
Red grey
Dark Bronze

The washes are also good.

The Metallics are great. I’d still use Vallejo metal colour for silvers, but pro acryl’s rich gold, and copper is excellent.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AK acrylic Old Gold is one of the more tolerable gold paints I've tried so far, however it is very yellow.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

Brush control depends entirely on how much beer you had for lunch and or dinner.

Just chew fistfuls of propranolol.
I wish I could get photos to upload on the awful app, just lurking here has done amazing things for my Battletech dorks.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

AndyElusive posted:

Bold Titanium White, without question.

Apart from what's otherwise mentioned, Bold Pyrole Red's a nice vibrant one.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just got done doing a large area of white and holy poo poo it was a PITA, I switched from Corax White to White Scar even though that was too white and it improved a lot (Corax dries so weird) but I was throwing it over some Fenrisian grey to get those like.. bluish shadows. There's gotta be a better way to do that though, are there any decent light blue or grey washes for that kind of work? I previously tried some Nuln oil for lack of a better idea and it was gross, Drakenhof Nightshade was.. ok very watered down, but the blue is so dark. Tyran Blue maybe??

E: also it's a slow rear end day in work and I have access to a ring light and wondered if throwing my camera phone onto it's tripod, jamming it right up against a model I keep on my shelf here and then using the windows phone app to control my camera remotely instead of a mile away by hand would make a difference to the weird smudging of colour I seem to get photographing minis and I think it has?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 6, 2024

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

*ahem* Pennies where?

(they look great)

Under my RT space marines and orks!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

You could also do a gold sharpie.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Whoever designed the trigger assembly on the Badger Patriot should be forced to publicly apologize to the entire airbrushing community and also be forced to reassemble the loving thing for every owner each time it comes apart.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

X-posting

WIP of my Lord Solar proxy. I'm currently doing some practices before I paint a tiny Icon into the frames on the barding.

I ended up being pretty conservative with this conversion, I really wanted to cover him in medals, but it didn't look right. I've got a lot of touching up on the horse still to do as well, but it is getting closer to done.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Jonny Nox posted:

upcoming video? I'd like to see that.

Eyy
https://youtu.be/W2iI7vzlYzw?si=Xc5E3uKzik-C2rcI

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Honestly I tried, but this is just a silly amount of work. I'll paint up what's left of them, and maybe I'll clean up the gold parts a bit more if I feel like it, but probably not.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

rantmo posted:

Whoever designed the trigger assembly on the Badger Patriot should be forced to publicly apologize to the entire airbrushing community and also be forced to reassemble the loving thing for every owner each time it comes apart.

I’ve gotten pretty good at it, it’s not THAT bad.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

poop chute posted:

it’s not THAT bad.

Badger Airbrush llc’s new slogan.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I’ve got gifted an airbrush spray booth for Christmas, but I appear to have lost my airbrush. What is the best choice for something in the middle ground? Primarily for base coating, zenithal occasionally and terrain?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

So I’ve got gifted an airbrush spray booth for Christmas, but I appear to have lost my airbrush. What is the best choice for something in the middle ground? Primarily for base coating, zenithal occasionally and terrain?

Iwata Eclipse if you're already pretty handy with a brush. It's not too pricey in the UK and more than sufficient for model spraying.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
H&S ultra (2023 model) just go updated, on run out. Perfect.

https://spraygunner.com/airbrush-kits/by-type/gravity-feed/harder-steenbeck-ultra-airbrush-v2/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wanna grab some rapahel 8404 brushes in the USA, is there a suggested place that ships them to us?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Eej posted:

Painting minis with only Q-tips, sponges, my fingers and a funny stick I found on the sidewalk

Didn’t use your finger

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I blend with my fingers sometimes, works great!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

This one.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wanna grab some rapahel 8404 brushes in the USA, is there a suggested place that ships them to us?

I got mine off of Amazon back in 2019. You know, long enough ago you could order a brush off of Amazon and be pretty sure you'd get something shaped like a brush. Probably not a good idea these days.

If you want a Raphael specifically, Jackson's is probably your best bet, but apparently they're weirdly selective on what US locations they'll ship to.

Rosemarys are a little easier to come by now that there's slightly less covid, and I think they compare favorably to the Raphaels I've got.

You can also hit up your local art store and see what sable watercolor brushes they've got in stock.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ordering directly from Rosemary isn't that bad with the prices and the shipping compared to some local stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think the Harder and Steenbeck Ultra 24 is really great, I like mine, so that would be my recommendation for airbrush.

Raphael has their own store on Amazon, and I have never received a false/fake brush from any of my brush orders on Amazon.