Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
lol the plane was only 10 weeks old

https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1743487804133253264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mad Wack posted:

sort of like how united makes more money leasing planes to other airlines versus flying routes

I thought they made even more from credit cards

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mawarannahr posted:

I thought they made even more from credit cards

thats every airline

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

is pepsi ok posted:

An old coworker of mine spent pretty much all of his money to buy a house in Surfside (middle of the island on the top right).

He said the mortgage payment was huge but it would be worth it in the long run because the home value would always go up since it was so close to the beach.

The valuable real estate of Atlantis, a FIRE investors dream city

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

well like most new things if it’s gonna break it’ll happen earlier due to a manufacturing QA issue

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

it would be chill to buy a house before things really go off the rails. imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1743687020247986317?t=HpH0mDRwZ6GdbQoUIXRacg&s=19

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

long covid??

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
In case you were wondering it now costs $48,000 to buy every ship in Star Citizen, inflation once again coming for muh starships

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Scarabrae posted:

did you tell him humans can’t breathe underwater

I've tried this line recently with someone I know in Florida and a common clapback is "How is the Plymouth rock not underwater, einstein" because grandma fw:fw:fw:fw emails went around with these images

The fact it's been moved a million times, chipped up for souvenirs and this has been debunked by most major news outlets doesn't matter. The fact the rock has been dry for 400 years means houses are forever.

The rock is dry. If you are arguing with objective proof that the rock is dry you are wrong and have some kind of agenda. I'm going to sit in my beach house by the dry rocks.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Oh my loving god

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh my loving god

- guy who got sucked off

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Airbus A350 collides with another aircraft in Japan and everyone deplanes the flaming wreck with zero casualties

737 MAX serves for ten weeks and starts disintegrating 20 minutes into a routine flight

Lol lmao

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"Donnie Darko 2" looking pretty good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Horseshoe theory posted:

"Donnie Darko 2" looking pretty good.

There already is a Donnie darko 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope I don't get fired this year Lol. Heres to 2024. I think it's gonna be a wild one.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

In Training posted:

I hope I don't get fired this year Lol.

same

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

In Training posted:

There already is a Donnie darko 2

It's a meteorite/car instead of a plane that's the focus in the 'sequel'. :colbert:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
2024: The Return of The :chaostrump:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

In Training posted:

I hope I don't get fired this year Lol. Heres to 2024. I think it's gonna be a wild one.
you can't get fired if you quit first!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WaryWarren posted:

2024: The Return of The :chaostrump:

inauguration isn't until 2025

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Do not get on a Max aircraft. Been saying this for years.

-Hoot

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i wonder how the continuing decay and cannibalization of american industry is going, i ask myself as i skip 4000 posts and check the doomsday economics thread for the first time in months

hmm. i see.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mawarannahr posted:

long covid??

"Look at other in-flight incidents and you will see a pattern of ATC missing initial emergency calls. This however is one of the most egregious incidents I have yet heard where ATC just dropped the ball."

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ATC is also understaffed, overworked, and unable to strike

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

hallelujah it's raining men (and women and children's luggage)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

past the limit so it had to be carried to term even if it was unviable

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Aren't planes usually at cruising altitude by 20 minutes after take-off? I'm surprised this didn't catastrophically depressurize the fuselage. Lucky as all get out that nobody ended up hurt and the plane was able to touch down safely.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Voice of Labor posted:

hallelujah it's raining men (and women and children's luggage)

Apparently a bunch of people's phones were lost, and a child had his shirt ripped off his body as well.

I only know in passing from reading about the combined bomber offensive, and B-29s over Japan, but the plane was above the altitude where it's freezing cold, right?

"The bombers normally flew above 10,000 feet where air temperatures dropped well below freezing. Crew members wore electrically heated suits that plugged into the bombers electrical system to ward off the cold. Damage to the bomber or a system malfunction could cause a crew member’s suit heater to fail. To keep the crew member from being injured from frostbite, a bomber could descend to low altitude (below 10,000 feet) where the air was warmer."

"Bomber crews went on oxygen above 10,000 feet because of the thin atmosphere. Each crew station had an oxygen supply connection that the crewman plugged his oxygen mask into. Crew members used small portable oxygen bottles to move between stations when the bomber was at high altitude. Crew members quickly lost consciousness if their oxygen was interrupted. The oxygen system was also a potential fire hazard. To keep a crew member who lost his oxygen alive, the bomber had to descend to low altitude (below 10,000 feet)."

"A significant B-29 innovation was cabin pressurization. The B-29 had three pressurized cabins: the cockpit (which included the bombardier, navigator, flight engineer, and radio operator in addition to the pilot and copilot), the gunner’s compartment, and the tail gunner’s compartment. The first two compartments were connected by a tunnel running 40 feet across the top of the bomb bays. The entire system was designed to maintain 8,000- foot cabin pressure at an altitude of 30,000 feet. The job of pressurizing or depressurizing belonged to the flight engineer (although in emergencies there were cabin pressure release handles on the airplane commander’s control stand and in the gunner compartment). Under normal conditions, the crew was to begin pressurizing at 8,000 feet. B-29 crews were instructed to always depressurize (and go on oxygen) when expecting enemy action, if the bomber was on fire, or when preparing to abandon ship. Wearing oxygen masks was required when flying unpressurized above 12,000 feet."

"It’s important to note that a shell hole in a pressurized compartment did not necessarily render pressurization in that compartment impossible—it just added another leak to an already leaky fuselage. It was not unusual for a B-29 to return to base with assorted, multiple shell holes in the pressure vessel but still capable of being successfully pressurized."

"Explosive decompression does not automatically follow a puncture in an aircraft’s pressurization. Moreover, explosive decompression jeopardizes an aircraft’s inherent flight worthiness only in very rare and extraordinary circumstances—although it can be very harmful to the crew in the decompressed compartment. Explosive decompression is a change in cabin pressure faster than the lungs can decompress, and can result in lung damage. Even without lung damage, unconsciousness can occur in a very short period of time unless oxygen is used. The period of useful consciousness is considerably shortened when a person is subjected to rapid decompression because of the swift reduction in pressure on the body (this causes oxygen in the lungs to exhale rapidly). Partial pressure of oxygen in the blood can reduce an aircrew’s effective performance time by 1/3 to 1⁄4 its normal time. Another hazard of course is being tossed or blown out of the airplane if near a large opening and not wearing seatbelts/safety harnesses."

Seems bad

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I am the guy strapped to the chair that flew out the plane, Boeing did nothing wrong

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1743273379203788916

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:laffo:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Sydin posted:

Aren't planes usually at cruising altitude by 20 minutes after take-off? I'm surprised this didn't catastrophically depressurize the fuselage. Lucky as all get out that nobody ended up hurt and the plane was able to touch down safely.

20 minutes total, it blew under 10 minutes in at 16,000 feet

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

love Paul Krugman who said America needs MFA and got mad when others not him started saying it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

oh dear god, what did Boeing do now

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"there's a lot of money to be made while doing out of business"

-one of the literal CEOs of Boeing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol I do like that British civil aviation guys are extremely British

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYo5yxzpttA

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

revolution will be impossible in the metropol not because the people are pacified but because they've been conditioned into a laziness and indifference that will make the hard work of revolution and rebuilding and quality control impossible.

I suggest that we look into automating the revolution

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lol, I don't understand what happened but I'm happy it did

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I sure am glad that the FAA is a robust institution that asks hard questions and isn't staffed by former Boeing and carrier employees and completely captured by industrial interests