Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Our second was born just under a month ago, happy to do a bit of an effortpost with our experiences later on when I have a proper keyboard available. Generally the second one was much less stressful since you now know how a baby works generally, but the downside is that you also have a toddler to take care of at the same time. Baby 2 is spitting up milk at least once a day though which we aren't used to, as our oldest rarely spit up anything at all. Both were/are exclusively breastfed

Pretty much in the same boat.

First spit up loads and was a fussy sleeper and eater. Crap combo when trying to figure out what works.

2nd one spits up loads but she's a solid sleeper (been sleeping at least 12 hours a night since she first got home) and super chilled about most things.

That's helped immensely when coping with a fussy 2 year old who is basically down to eating nothing but sausages and garlic bread when at home (he'll eat anything at the nursery) and keeps throwing all of his toys into the Christmas tree because he wants me to get them out of it for him.

2nd one has started teething though, so she was up till 3am this morning while the 1st got up at 7:30am on the dot and has refused to take his nap today.

Cant wait till they're both 4 years old+ and I can give em a switch and my backlog and let them zombify themselves on mario kart for a few hours or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

You always get a bargain with Nadine. Multiple lols for the price of one in this post.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Commit arson before the government bans houses.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Commit arson before the government bans houses.

Johnson the Christ killer

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do not give babies x, you don't want a libertarian racist.

https://x.com/bellofdonger/status/1743267076502896857?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

smellmycheese posted:

Johnson the Christ killer

Give us Boribbas!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Finnish Broadcasting Company is (unwittingly) stepping on Boris's turf :ohdear: Here's a newsclip explaining how people can donate their Christmas trees to horses.

https://i.imgur.com/BNOotCt.mp4

The horse's owner, Fanni, explains that this is a fun activity for the horse and the needles are good for their digestion. Do horse ranch owners count as landlords?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

Another thing popped into my mind with being a new parent too and it's about just how much your lifestyle changes. We were very comfy in our routine of work -> commute -> evening relaxing -> sleep/wake repeat that it was a bit of a huge system shock when the first kid came along.

Oh yes this too. Having a kid is like having a full time job you can never bunk off. Come rain shine, covid, exhaustion your little human will have their needs met. It's going to be a lot harder on mom on top of everything!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Legend Bozzer populism is a lot more grey and glum than MAGA. He acknowledges the myriad dangers of burning your tree, but suggests you somberly enjoy the experience anyway, before it's denied you forever, like having one last bite of a chocolate bar that's about to be discontinued because of its high mercury levels. And, with rising fuel prices, can you really afford not to? :smith:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rappaport posted:

The Finnish Broadcasting Company is (unwittingly) stepping on Boris's turf :ohdear: Here's a newsclip explaining how people can donate their Christmas trees to horses.

https://i.imgur.com/BNOotCt.mp4

The horse's owner, Fanni, explains that this is a fun activity for the horse and the needles are good for their digestion. Do horse ranch owners count as landlords?

Goats as well.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGe231bUu/

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah we know, Santa Claus is called Joulupukki in Finnish, literally "Christmas Goat"

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Most shameful moment: enjoying the 'respite' when the baby was poorly and just kind of quiet and limp

Most disquieting moment: When the health visitor probed my wife about domestic violence because apparently those early months are when it's most likely to happen :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Chubby Henparty posted:

Most disquieting moment: When the health visitor probed my wife about domestic violence because apparently those early months are when it's most likely to happen :(

I hope she got away with a 6'er :ohdear:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Chubby Henparty posted:

Most shameful moment: enjoying the 'respite' when the baby was poorly and just kind of quiet and limp

I'm encouraged to ask about domestic violence at every first contact with a family. Ideally, it should just be something that gets asked without attaching any weight to the question (a routine question should be asked in a routine way) but basically everyone I've worked with agrees that if you get a bad vibe from one of the partners, you'd probably wait for a better opportunity to ask.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

Legend Bozzer populism is a lot more grey and glum than MAGA. He acknowledges the myriad dangers of burning your tree, but suggests you somberly enjoy the experience anyway, before it's denied you forever, like having one last bite of a chocolate bar that's about to be discontinued because of its high mercury levels. And, with rising fuel prices, can you really afford not to? :smith:
Seems more like all the "now EU will ban you from having a tumble dryer" articles (many of which were written by him) than glum resignation.

This 2017 study considering New Zealand and likely future trends in the UK says

quote:

Residential wood combustion (RWC) currently accounts for >10% of renewable energy and >50% of renewable heat generation in the UK.
Models predict UK RWC to increase by a factor of 14 between 1990 and 2030, with heating stoves and fireplaces dominating.
Wood consumption per person in New Zealand is twice that of the UK, with significant air quality and climate impacts.
And

quote:

Emissions are increasing rapidly in the UK which may result in severe wintertime air quality reductions, as seen in New Zealand

Boris is just banging the "they are coming for your Aga" drum, but they're not (but they should be).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wait why is woodburning increasing in the UK? That's the wrong direction you dumbos!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

First few months after Baby # 1 also represent the first statistically significant divorce spike. It’s always nightmarishly hard, but somehow most people get through and decide about nine to eighteen months in “you know what would make our life better? Doing this all over again”.

Ours are 11 and 13 now and it didn’t really start getting easier until they were maybe 4-5. Then it’s a great run until teenage years, where it’s a whole new and interesting set of problems.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Love my friends and family's kids, love my vasectomy and lie-ins, simple as

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wait why is woodburning increasing in the UK? That's the wrong direction you dumbos!
Because of misplaced ideas about it being better than electric or gas because it is 'natural' and 'renewable', and because of stupid appeals to tradition like "remember when freeborn Britons went around the world burning everyone's houses down?" or whatever, and because it does at least look nice while it is killing all the white blood cells in your lungs.

My house is from the 1890s and still has an original fire, but I've never burned anything in the grate, it just has a decorative LED thing in there. Most of this increase is not from austerity hit people having to revert back to that (although I do know a couple of people who had to) it's from suburban types getting log burners installed because they're either terminally misguided 'natural == good' environmentalists or 'traditional == good' Tories who are harking back to vague stories their nan told them.

That's exactly who Boris is trying to appeal to with "and they won't even let you burn your living room now" nonsense.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kingturnip posted:

I'm encouraged to ask about domestic violence at every first contact with a family. Ideally, it should just be something that gets asked without attaching any weight to the question (a routine question should be asked in a routine way) but basically everyone I've worked with agrees that if you get a bad vibe from one of the partners, you'd probably wait for a better opportunity to ask.

But if, say, the mother is a victim of domestic violence, do they even tell you the truth?

My close female relative was routinely beaten to a pulp by her bf - who also used to boot her in the belly when she was pregnant, stab forks out in her, stub out cigarettes on her and push her down the stairs. Yet after giving birth, I saw the notes thing the health visitor left with her and it said "loving supportive partner". I scribbled it all out and wrote he is a violent abusive pig on the notes. At first female relative was ok with me doing that - I happened to call round just a few minutes after he had beaten her up again, I even saw him driving away in his car - then within half an hour it was back to the "I must have done something to deserve it" crap. (This went on for over a decade - they didn't even live together) and destroyed the papers.

At one point I finally decided that the immediate family were far too close to it all to behave rationally and time for me to 'be the adult in the room - I was in my late 20s at the time - and went and reported the lot to social services, and after a few visits the kids were taken into temporary fostering to try to give her a respite. The foster mother reported that a scene of domestic violence came on tv - it must have been East Enders or something like that - and the 2 year old was screaming and pointing at the tv going "no mummy no'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

My mum is wanting to install a wood burner in her house, I tried talking her out of it but she won't listen. She's normally on the case for 'green' issues but is convinced there's nothing wrong with wood burners. (Cost of heating is also an issue - wood being prolific where she lives now).

Guavanaut posted:

"remember when freeborn Britons went around the world burning everyone's houses down?"

Thought that was Meibion Glyndwr. (My answer to numpty acquaintances who believe all terrorists are muslim or all muslims are terrorists - would that be the muslamic welshies then?)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 6, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

It's a question we have ask everyone with an itchy bum hole. Do you insert anything up it or have any interesting hobbies? :goatsecx:

I don't envy any job with a huge safeguarding component. The pressure must be immense and so many damned if you do, damned if you don't moment's.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Cant wait till they're both 4 years old+ and I can give em a switch and my backlog and let them zombify themselves on mario kart for a few hours or something.

Still not a guarantee.
My brother's kid is 4-5 atm and he talks constantly.
Even with an ipad and headphones on he will give a running commentary on what's happening in Paw Patrol.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Beefeater1980 posted:

First few months after Baby # 1 also represent the first statistically significant divorce spike. It’s always nightmarishly hard

I sent parcels of homemade scotch eggs to my friends when they had their kids, and by god if they don't reciprocate now, i will call them up on speakerphone every time my kid is screaming

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But if, say, the mother is a victim of domestic violence, do they even tell you the truth?

Some of my colleagues have had disclosures made, although I haven't.
The reason we ask routinely is because it's a lot easier for a victim to say "yes" in response to a question than to initiate a conversation with a professional about it, but it's still not necessarily easy to do even that.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Certainly something to ponder…

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does the flap of a butterfly's wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas?

Does the plop of a Cardiffian's ring in Bridge Street send off a train in Tianjin?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That, my friend, is the Cardiffian Ring.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

tbf China having world class public transport while in Britain we can't even maintain public toilets is a reasonable point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tesseraction posted:

It's very funny that the most popular PM in the Tory brainworm community is the man who is objectively as anti-conservative as they come. The only reason he's in the tories and not something else is it's the party of establishment power and he knows where his bread is buttered.
This comes out again in a very different way with all his "freeborn Englishmen should burn their Christmas trees on roaring log fires, they are trying to take that from you" antics.

Some of the biggest names in putting a stop to that kind of thing were far right racist Tory backbencher and stupid facial hair haver Gerald Nabarro and South African copper turned civil engineer and industrialist Hugh Beaver, Enoch Powell was a participant in some of the early domestic heat pump debates in the 1950s (although he remained skeptical on help-to-buy schemes), and the driest most toryish views on traditional fires in that era were all "they are all poo poo, stop loving with my fields"

All of those people would regard Boris as a complete clownshoes idiot for encouraging burning your spruce, one of the few things I can agree with them on.

I think that also fits in with the big increase in log burners from the late 90s to the 2020s. The people who remember the 1950s as a soot covered shithole all died (many of black lung I assume) and the 50s nostalgia lovers who remembered it as new songs on the radio and going to the pictures and being 10 forgot why people stopped doing that poo poo as soon as someone let them live in a council house with storage heaters.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

smellmycheese posted:

Just wait till the other one drops

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, you should always wait to see if there's a second one before putting your pants back on.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

WHO REMEMBERS PROPER FREEBORN BRITON CHRISTMAS TREE HEARTH BURNING???

this is definitely the first time i've seen a santa look unconvincing because he's too fat

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

The russian troll can have a squat shite wherever he wants, they nicked toilets from Ukraine but never learned about plumbing.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

tbf China having world class public transport while in Britain we can't even maintain public toilets is a reasonable point.

Oh I completely agree.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Wistfully recalling the airborne carcinogens of yesteryear

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Most worrying part of that to me is the freeborn Briton part which seems quite dog whistle-y, no? So immigrants etc need not apply.

Also posting while stress eating butter slathered rice cakes as our 9mo old is proving right tricky to keep asleep tonight. (Baby’s rice cakes whoops)

Flux Wildly fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 7, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I hope ITV produces a four part series about the PPE scandals. It seems to be the only way to get the police to investigate establishment crime.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Flux Wildly posted:

Most worrying part of that to me is the freeborn Briton part which seems quite dog whistle-y, no? So immigrants etc need not apply.

Those forrins would probably be burning some kind of ethnic tree...palm tree perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failed Imagineer posted:

Those forrins would probably be burning some kind of ethnic tree...palm tree perhaps?

Oh, they'd be going into parks and cutting down proper Bri'ish trees. Then roasting 'Is Majesty's swans over them or something like that.