Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

I think she's misreading the study's conclusion. Merely not sharing a bedroom reduces infection risk by 78%. Independent of that, the infected person "wearing a mask more than half the time" (self-reported, so you can imagine what the quality of masking really is there) reduced infections by 67%. The study didn't evaluate the potential impacts of doing both.

So doing the things this thread recommends when living with someone who is infected (strict isolation, wearing high quality masks, monitoring air flow, etc.) should be a lot more effective than 78%. (But as ever with COVID, so much of the risk of getting sick comes during the period where someone is asymptomatic, and no precautions were being taken.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Well it took a while after the virus (2 weeks?) but I am quite certain my already dire tinnitus is louder and more annoying and doing a better job cutting through the meds I take for it so that's awesome.

I already know too much so I know that ~60% of such people recover and 75% recover to some degree based on the best data we had a year or so ago, but, also, that recovery can take 3-12 months and if you get COVID in the mean time it's super bad.

Building corsis and installing a RabbitAir today. we may get a second RabbitAir for the other side of this wall if we like it, sort of makes sense to have one between the kids room and ours.

I don't think such things work better than a corsi on viruses and they are definitely much more expensive, but, much quieter and small and wall mountable. Whatever.

Phlag posted:

So doing the things this thread recommends when living with someone who is infected (strict isolation, wearing high quality masks, monitoring air flow, etc.) should be a lot more effective than 78%. (But as ever with COVID, so much of the risk of getting sick comes during the period where someone is asymptomatic, and no precautions were being taken.)

when my wife got tagged she started masking in the house and sleeping in a different room instantly, but she couldn't avoid some amount of close contact with the kids.

I didn't get sick until a few days after I'd had one of the kids just hacking in my face at one point, and I do wonder if I'd been in an n95 and eye pro if that woulda kept me negative.

The cow is gone and the barn is burning (in my inner ears) but I'm taking much more hardcore, antisocial, Howie Mandell grade precautions next time anyone has anything.

Phlag posted:

I'd like to see this study repeated by a cohort who do their absolute best to maintain all protocols but also live with extremly high energy 7 year old and breastfeeding 2 year old children :allears:

WE DID THE BEST WE COULD
(my tombstone carving when tinnitus pushes me over the edge completely in a year)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cabbages and Kings posted:

WE DID THE BEST WE COULD

this marks the mass grave of the other victims of capitalism and empire.

like I don’t know if this will kill many young families but 20 years is a long time to raise a kid in the plague mines. lots of reinfections in store :(

I just can’t imagine holding a neighbourhood wracked by cholera in the 19th century to the standard we see people hold themselves and their families to. a toxic fluid has injured your family. the people who should be keeping toxic fluids away from your family in exchange for their power, as part of our agreement with them, have failed to do that.

like, all those people tried too. they tried to take care of their kids and parents and spouses. nobody came to help them and they died. if anyone needed events to demonstrate that more concentrated and organized resistance is necessary, this winter should suffice.

that mass grave is our fate now too if we can’t get organized and fight for our lives

edit for clarity. it’s a bad pain day

tuyop has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Jan 6, 2024

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Phlag posted:

(But as ever with COVID, so much of the risk of getting sick comes during the period where someone is asymptomatic, and no precautions were being taken.)

for instance, I didn't think it might be covid until my kid literally puked on me

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Phlag posted:

I think she's misreading the study's conclusion. Merely not sharing a bedroom reduces infection risk by 78%. Independent of that, the infected person "wearing a mask more than half the time" (self-reported, so you can imagine what the quality of masking really is there) reduced infections by 67%. The study didn't evaluate the potential impacts of doing both.

That account is anonymous, seems to be a layperson, and is only recently prolific so take with a grain of salt.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Gettin MOTHED UP

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Whose game is this?

AIR

BORNE

AIDS

YEAAHHHH!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Well it took a while after the virus (2 weeks?) but I am quite certain my already dire tinnitus is louder and more annoying and doing a better job cutting through the meds I take for it so that's awesome.

fwiw mine was noticeably worse for like 2 months after getting got and either my brain got used to it or it got better

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

WE DID THE BEST WE COULD
(my tombstone carving when tinnitus pushes me over the edge completely in a year)

There should be effective tinnitus therapy available in the US later this year, so keep an eye out. It's the thing that zaps the tongue with electricity and has had some pretty drat promising clinical trials in recent years. It will be marketed under the name Lenire. Silence is possible! Maybe.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

thanks! neat. might grab some.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

There should be effective tinnitus therapy available in the US later this year, so keep an eye out. It's the thing that zaps the tongue with electricity and has had some pretty drat promising clinical trials in recent years. It will be marketed under the name Lenire. Silence is possible! Maybe.

wait what in the world

is my suffering maybe over?

e: hm maybe! https://cse.umn.edu/bme/news/new-tinnitus-treatment-receives-fda-approval

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

a buddy's 18 month old just went to the ER with a bad RSV infection, and when his fever got worse and he started struggling to breathe, they admitted him to the PICU.

of which the city of Denver has zero beds available, so they shipped him via ambulance to Colorado Springs.

i have an unfathomably heartbreaking picture of lil man all geared up with a full-face forced air system smiling ear to ear because other than almost dying from a virus he's having the time of his life with gewgaws and lookin like he's goin to space.

the level of radicalization of parents has got to be off the charts.

update he has been discharged, diagnosed with both RSV and a non Covid coronavirus

dad says he had to ask the transfer team to put masks on, also, full masks gowns and visors inside lil guy's room, but not all visitors (to the loving PICU!) mandated to wear any masks!!

I'd feel like I'd be loving reverse John Q-ing any motherfucker who stepped inside the building barefaced if my toddler was in the PICU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Insanite posted:

wait what in the world

is my suffering maybe over?

e: hm maybe! https://cse.umn.edu/bme/news/new-tinnitus-treatment-receives-fda-approval

“available in Europe since 2019”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
goons, if you're walking past or surrounded by coughing people, is it better to breathe by nose or mouth? I've considered this whilst masked on a crowded bus but sometimes walking outside unmasked. (I blow my nose then flush with spray when I get home )

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mawarannahr posted:

goons, if you're walking past or surrounded by coughing people, is it better to breathe by nose or mouth? I've considered this whilst masked on a crowded bus but sometimes walking outside unmasked. (I blow my nose then flush with spray when I get home )

You mean you don't reflexively hold your breath every time you walk past someone on the sidewalk?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mawarannahr posted:

I just trust my respirator :shrug:

Which is literally glued to my face figuratively.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
took a tour of cvs pharmacies in the area and found extant novavax at two of them, one of which was staffed by a nice guy named Jeff who juiced me and my wife right up then and there

no mask, extremely excited about getting shots in arms though

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

wear a respirator, breathe through whatever hole you want

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Salt Fish posted:

You mean you don't reflexively hold your breath every time you walk past someone on the sidewalk?

I do but sometimes not sure...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pingui posted:

I worry about my aura's fit on a crowded bus

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mawarannahr posted:

I worry about my aura's fit on a crowded bus

I understand. If it happens a lot, I would consider doing a fit test and/or getting n100's. I use FFP3's rather than FFP2's, just for the added piece of mind.

Beyond not getting sick, the biggest benefit of wearing a good mask is to not give a poo poo.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
https://wellbefore.com/products/3d-kf94-style-kn95-pro-mask-with-adjustable-ear-loops?variant=39627789467777

I wear these in blue with around the head elastic for 5 hours of class and they are nice and big and feel very secure. They suit my purpose better than auras. The black version of this i have found too tight and uncomfortable, but the blue gets an A from me.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gunshow Poophole posted:

juiced me and my wife right up

That scene in Rocky Horror

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Acute covid driven guillan barre syndrome?

Concerning...

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Strep Vote posted:

https://wellbefore.com/products/3d-kf94-style-kn95-pro-mask-with-adjustable-ear-loops?variant=39627789467777

I wear these in blue with around the head elastic for 5 hours of class and they are nice and big and feel very secure. They suit my purpose better than auras. The black version of this i have found too tight and uncomfortable, but the blue gets an A from me.

fun trick: when the blue get too funky to keep wearing harvest the straps and replace the black ones with them. Chances are the masks are the same size but for whatever reason they made the straps shorter (probably to try and save money). If you’re careful you can even reuse the staples.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Haha this is where I get to flex my esoteric chronically ill knowlege and Pro Lab Rat status a bit.

You're talking about Leneire, I think. I am not that high on Leneire because I think they are going rush-to-market based on a UK approval of a prior version of their tech, and they are VC backed in ways which rub me the wrong way as a veteran of the VC The Wrong Way World

that said

their tech is basically a rip-off* of technology being developed by UMich Ann Arbor. They have published results, too, which are "better" data than the Leneire `science` for reasons I won't derail here, but also their initial phase-I had 20 humans of which I was one so I am 5% of that group and lol yea man it loving works.

Knowing that it loving works and that I could actually build it myself from an aurduino if my distress and impatience exceeds my general regard for my own safety is a tremendous comfort but I do wish they would hurry the gently caress up

https://medicine.umich.edu/dept/otolaryngology/news/archive/202307/study-shows-promising-treatment-tinnitus

this is the followup to the study I was in. It's wild poo poo. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to make a thread somewhere, because beyond being hopefully a treatment for an obnoxiously awful thing I personally have, it represents an entirely novel way of generating targeted neuroplasticity.

Also there's CSPAM content there because when I was in the study I asked the researchers if they had considered the possibility of the CIA using it in the other direction as torture and I actually saw the researcher squirm, :rubby:

* the connection between UMich, University of Minnisota and Leniere people and research is a tangled web of money

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 01:26 on Jan 7, 2024

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

lmao, best read of the day.

You have all the pieces, just you know, figure out that testing negative means somewhere between gently caress and all. You are even stating it can persist after the virus causing it is gone lmao.

Relatedly:

https://twitter.com/organichemusic/status/1743183659543237043?t=T7YVzLMHnfCi86aIaIQyTQ&s=19

I'm not sure if I agree with the take since the docs seem right to not prescribe antibiotics (is there anything they can even do about post-COVID cough? Mine lasted for 1-2 months at diminishing severity) but several people in that reddit thread mention 10%+ positivity rates on COVID, flu and RSV:

quote:

Nationwide, CDC is reporting that based on clinical lab reporting, flu test positivity is running at 16.1%, RSV at 10.2%, and COVID is at 12.7%. Those numbers are based on weekly reporting to the CDC by representative clinical labs in each state.

Looks like RSV positivity might have been even higher a month ago although if actual detections didn't peak then that's uhh not reassuring.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Pingui posted:

This is insanely cool.
"A stapled lipopeptide platform for preventing and treating highly pathogenic viruses of pandemic potential"

The research article is pretty esoteric, so here is a news article laying it out in a more layman accessible manner (I suspect it is a major development and this is Saturday, so have the entire thing with all the bells and whistles):
"Novel compound protects against infection by virus that causes COVID-19, preliminary studies show"

quote:

"Imagine being able to protect yourself from COVID-19 or other disruptive respiratory viruses with a simple nasal spray that you could use to avoid infection at a large gathering or after exposure to a close contact who turns out to test positive for SARS-CoV-2. That is the promise this work holds, not only for otherwise healthy individuals, but especially for immunocompromised patients who remain most at risk of severe infection."

sounds loving great man! give me the loving nasal spray!!

A Bag of Milk posted:

sounds loving great man! give me the loving tongue zap!!

why do i have to wait! i waive my rights, just do whatever you want to my body to fix and protect me aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagghh!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

How often do you get harassed for it?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

How often do you get harassed for it?

Only time I ever encountered anything, was a couple of teens where one muttered "survivalists" when the girlfriend and I was shopping in full face. Which I wouldn't really call harassment. The girlfriend very infrequently encounters stuff when out alone (like 5 times over the years), but a couple of those years was in full face. Oddest one was someone following her around in the shop telling her repeatedly that if she was infected she shouldn't be there, during the OG Omicron wave.

With the Dräger's it hasn't really happened much, mostly evil eye type stuff, some fake coughing a couple of times is the only "harassment"; though the few times people have asked her "why?" annoyed her, I don't think it qualifies. Most of it just comes of as idiotic to anyone around you, when you wear earbuds and complete ignore the clowns, though it is obnoxious.

Anyways, it isn't much and fairly light. I haven't heard her mention anything at all the last couple of months for some reason.

Fair bit of children asking (her) though. Children just stare wide-eyed at me :P

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Haha this is where I get to flex my esoteric chronically ill knowlege and Pro Lab Rat status a bit.

You're talking about Leneire, I think. I am not that high on Leneire because I think they are going rush-to-market based on a UK approval of a prior version of their tech, and they are VC backed in ways which rub me the wrong way as a veteran of the VC The Wrong Way World

that said

their tech is basically a rip-off* of technology being developed by UMich Ann Arbor. They have published results, too, which are "better" data than the Leneire `science` for reasons I won't derail here, but also their initial phase-I had 20 humans of which I was one so I am 5% of that group and lol yea man it loving works.

Knowing that it loving works and that I could actually build it myself from an aurduino if my distress and impatience exceeds my general regard for my own safety is a tremendous comfort but I do wish they would hurry the gently caress up

https://medicine.umich.edu/dept/otolaryngology/news/archive/202307/study-shows-promising-treatment-tinnitus

this is the followup to the study I was in. It's wild poo poo. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to make a thread somewhere, because beyond being hopefully a treatment for an obnoxiously awful thing I personally have, it represents an entirely novel way of generating targeted neuroplasticity.

Also there's CSPAM content there because when I was in the study I asked the researchers if they had considered the possibility of the CIA using it in the other direction as torture and I actually saw the researcher squirm, :rubby:

* the connection between UMich, University of Minnisota and Leniere people and research is a tangled web of money

Does this work for peripheral vertigo? Asking for someone that is loving beyond done doing millions of mris for dizziness.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I had some throat irritation yesterday morning and increased irritation this morning. We rode bikes to the park and I was feeling a little more tired than usual. I used a Lucira test from the pile and it showed positive. The Lucira expired in October 2023 so I took a current Abbot test to confirm but it showed negative. My wife had a sore throat a week ago but never tested positive so I'm wondering if I have one of the not covid diseases. We want to play it safe. Family tested negative with current tests. I'm isolating in the bedroom wearing a vflex. I'm just sitting here with a laptop so I searched and do not see a date extension for the Lucira on https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests. I'm having thoughts trying to rationalize a false positive: it was expired, the other test was negative, etc. but we'll stay isolating.

The next decision is to start paxlovid or not. I have 5 days of pax and another 5 days are ready at CVS. I used Sesame Care (https://sesamecare.com/covid) and the visit was free for me in CA. A Texas doctor called me immediately. I was still clicking through the pages. I'm going back and forth about taking the pax now or waiting for more symptoms. I know the earlier the better but it is a limited resource and I only want to use it if I have Covid. This is my first positive test result ever. I'd say symptoms started Friday so that is day 0, today is day 1, so I think I'll wait to start paxlovid until I have a positive test from a not expired test or if symptoms worsen by Sunday or Monday, day 2 or 3.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Asproigerosis posted:

Acute covid driven guillan barre syndrome?

Concerning...

how many people have you seen with CIPD?

my step dad thinks he got it from the vaccine but it didn’t present u til months later. he’s had at least one infection.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

bred posted:

I had some throat irritation yesterday morning and increased irritation this morning. We rode bikes to the park and I was feeling a little more tired than usual. I used a Lucira test from the pile and it showed positive. The Lucira expired in October 2023 so I took a current Abbot test to confirm but it showed negative. My wife had a sore throat a week ago but never tested positive so I'm wondering if I have one of the not covid diseases. We want to play it safe. Family tested negative with current tests. I'm isolating in the bedroom wearing a vflex. I'm just sitting here with a laptop so I searched and do not see a date extension for the Lucira on https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests. I'm having thoughts trying to rationalize a false positive: it was expired, the other test was negative, etc. but we'll stay isolating.

The next decision is to start paxlovid or not. I have 5 days of pax and another 5 days are ready at CVS. I used Sesame Care (https://sesamecare.com/covid) and the visit was free for me in CA. A Texas doctor called me immediately. I was still clicking through the pages. I'm going back and forth about taking the pax now or waiting for more symptoms. I know the earlier the better but it is a limited resource and I only want to use it if I have Covid. This is my first positive test result ever. I'd say symptoms started Friday so that is day 0, today is day 1, so I think I'll wait to start paxlovid until I have a positive test from a not expired test or if symptoms worsen by Sunday or Monday, day 2 or 3.

acquire paxlovid asap. test yourself with rapid tests using the low and slow method which i think is in the first post in the thread. if that's positive, start pax. otherwise, test every 6 - 12h until you're positive or in the clear.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

sonatinas posted:

how many people have you seen with CIPD?

my step dad thinks he got it from the vaccine but it didn’t present u til months later. he’s had at least one infection.

None, I don't work at a hospital that has the big brains enough to deal with something like this. I'd guess it's a very rare diagnosis as you'd present and get treated for the crippling GBS first.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Does this work for peripheral vertigo? Asking for someone that is loving beyond done doing millions of mris for dizziness.

I'm gonna PM you so as not to clog the covid thread with this but the very short answer is "I don't know but I hope you are able to find out soon"

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

bred posted:

That sucks I'm sorry to hear it. If it were me I'd pax up

Edit: I can't read

Woodsy Owl has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Jan 7, 2024

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

what a time to be alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

bred posted:

There is a false positive percent of a couple percent on the Lucira (according to the very small scale testing noted in the insert), though naturally that is if they are still good. I think I would use RATs at an increased interval as Soap Scum suggested (like every 12 hours) the next few days. If your irritation passes without a positive, I think you are good. If it continues, I would also continue the testing for a few days (I would start spacing it out to 24 after 2-3 days, because I am poor :P ymmv).

If you haven't already, I think you can still get free tests through the USPS. A lot of people got the initial 4 in September, but didn't know about the extra 4 added in November.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 03:07 on Jan 7, 2024