Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Important Question 1: I have three keys and won't get to a fourth in the next couple days. I already have High Evolutionary, should I yolo a couple rolls to try and nab Gaiera/Nebula or sit on them (I want to save enough to make sure I can get Grand Master and Loki in a few weeks)?

Important Question 2: Should I use the gold with blue crackle or the inked with purple glimmer???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Davedave24 posted:

Important Question 1: I have three keys and won't get to a fourth in the next couple days. I already have High Evolutionary, should I yolo a couple rolls to try and nab Gaiera/Nebula or sit on them (I want to save enough to make sure I can get Grand Master and Loki in a few weeks)?

Important Question 2: Should I use the gold with blue crackle or the inked with purple glimmer???

Caiera and Nebula are both fantastic cards. You really can’t go wrong with them. If you’re strictly F2P you should be back up to 3-4 keys by Grandmaster week anyway. I would recommend going for it (Caiera is gonna eat a nerf eventually though).

Gold with blue crackle and I don’t think it’s close.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Davedave24 posted:

Caiera seems pretty good so far, and Nebula is one of the best 1 drops in the game and can fit in just about any deck that wants a one drop or two.

Loki is getting hit with an indirect nerf to it's interaction with Collector so keep that in mind.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

psychopomp posted:

Got Lady Deathstrike and High Evo with my keys. A few cards dropping down to 3 today or am I thinking of something else?

There's a series drop on the 9th with the patch

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ink is wasted on the Hipp ones, they all look so much better in colour

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Opopanax posted:

I really hate all the split backgrounds. I wish I could just get the particle effects on the original art.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Alright, I used two, got Gaiera on the first draw but the second just got me tokens :shrug: not so bad.

Edit: oh hey, I can do the weekend mission now, that's nice

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yesterday I had an idea, and it turns out I was right, this works. So, everyone, here is a deck with Skaar in it that wins:

# (0) Wasp
# (3) Lockjaw
# (3) Thor
# (4) Dracula
# (4) Jubilee
# (4) High Evolutionary
# (5) Jane Foster Mighty Thor
# (6) Doctor Doom
# (6) Odin
# (6) Skaar
# (6) Hulk
# (6) Magneto
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRHJhY3VsYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSHVsayJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiV2FzcCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiT2RpbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiVGhvciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSnViaWxlZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSmFuZUZvc3RlciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRHJEb29tIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJNYWduZXRvIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJMb2NramF3In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJIaWdoRXZvbHV0aW9uYXJ5In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTa2FhciJ9XX0=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

woo got HE from my second spotlight key and have Nebula pinned in the token shop :toot:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Not all.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

What does a good deck with Caiera look like anyways? Auto-Deck suggests just throwing most of the pool 1/2 1 cost poo poo into a deck with her but I'm sure there's better I could manage. Nebula probably works well with her actually?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kalman posted:

Not all.

Ok so there's 2

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

What does a good deck with Caiera look like anyways? Auto-Deck suggests just throwing most of the pool 1/2 1 cost poo poo into a deck with her but I'm sure there's better I could manage. Nebula probably works well with her actually?
Her, HE, Nebula, Sunspot, Magik, Cyclops, Hulk, Infinaut, She-Hulk, Misty Knight, Leech, Shocker. Works for me.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 6, 2024

aWall
Jan 28, 2003

Football Jesus
Thanks for this, fun deck to play.

I swapped Skaar in for Hulk for a bit to complete the weekend quest for gold and he fit in nicely as another potential discounted card late game.

uXs posted:

Cruised into infinite with this:

Sunspot
Electro
Caiera
Wave
Taskmaster
Blob
She-Hulk
Hulk
Magneto
Giganto
Destroyer
The Infinaut

It plays like an old-style Shuri deck: draw your combo pieces (Blob, Taskmaster, and something to cheat Blob out early), snap, and win.

You also need to either get Caiera out, or recognize when your opponent most likely has Shang so you should get out. And either far less people are playing Shang than you'd expect, or I was just lucky.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Davedave24 posted:

Gold with Blue Krackle absolutely.

Been having a blast with Ongoing Thanos Zoo. Quite a lot of lines to play, and you're not afraid of Killmonger since you've got Caeira. Was iffy on Blob but he's still enormous even when every card in your deck has 3 or less power.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Welp, had the sweet Midnight Suns Nico in store today so bought it and got the 2000 tokens bonus thing so now I actually can get Caiera with tokens, gonna be left with 1500 so will be "a while" until the next token buy but whatever

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I only have 2 keys this week, and it got me High Evo's variant (which, admittedly, is cool) and Daken - who I have already and converted to tokens. gently caress ever giving this game money.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Okay, but what if you gave them money to get more keys?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

When Pigs Cry posted:

Okay, but what if you gave them money to get more keys?

Spending $20 or more to pull a Nebula variant I don't care about? Sign me up!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

just. don't do that? idgi

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Red posted:

I only have 2 keys this week, and it got me High Evo's variant (which, admittedly, is cool) and Daken - who I have already and converted to tokens. gently caress ever giving this game money.

you're summoning the spotlight defender to tell you you're whining

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
I'm spending 3-4 keys to get 3 bad cards next week and no one can stop me

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Personally, I just save my keys until I see something I want

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Apparently grandmaster is going to be ridiculous according to the pros yelling about him

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Personally, I just save my keys until I see something I want

The problem is that I wanted Black Knight (last week?), who ended up costing 4 keys. Caiera would be incredibly useful in decks I play, but I’ve blown out the other 2 keys I had. I might be able to get another key before Tuesday, but this system loving sucks.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Fate Accomplice posted:

you're summoning the spotlight defender to tell you you're whining

Why do all the people that bitch the most also have zero clue or inclination to work within the system? Caiera is cool, but why would you give yourself a literal coinflip to get her if you knew the other 3 slots would disappoint you? Now you’ve hosed yourself for the next good week and started the disappointment cycle over. Meanwhile, people using their keys wisely are getting 2 or 3 new cards.

For the record, I used 3 of 4 saved keys to get her, but I like both the variants and think the next couple of weeks are weak. My sympathy is limited when people can’t even attempt to use the system in a strategic way.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

DeepDickPizza posted:

Why do all the people that bitch the most also have zero clue or inclination to work within the system?

we're all working within the system, there's no alternative.

the system sucks and is getting worse.

I decided weeks ago not to spend unless I need all three cards, so that means zero new cards outside season pass till March at the earliest. Even needing 2/3 and spending 3-4 is a super feel bad experience.

super easy bandaid? guarantee the random P4/5 card is new to you.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Fate Accomplice posted:

we're all working within the system, there's no alternative.

the system sucks and is getting worse.

I decided weeks ago not to spend unless I need all three cards, so that means zero new cards outside season pass till March at the earliest. Even needing 2/3 and spending 3-4 is a super feel bad experience.

super easy bandaid? guarantee the random P4/5 card is new to you.

Why is getting 3 new cards in one pop a super feel bad experience?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

DeepDickPizza posted:

Why is getting 3 new cards in one pop a super feel bad experience?

imo that’s best case scenario but basically, like you said, it gates you out of new cards for at least 3 weeks

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Keys are bad for people who are near complete.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They're less good, but they're still far from bad. Again, a player who buys the season pass and nothing else gets, on average, over 80% of new cards. Yes, sometimes you get unlucky, and it sucks, but if you're spending keys responsibly, the Spotlight system is great. Easily better than anything else about the game's economy.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Somewhere someone is opening their target card in 1/2 boxes every week and thinks the system is great, at the expense of the rest of us

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There are still the tokens, too. You can always just get the card you want if you don't want to gamble a key.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Opopanax posted:

There are still the tokens, too. You can always just get the card you want if you don't want to gamble a key.

That's what I do. Key on weeks where I need 2/3 card good cards, and Tokens on weeks where I only need the new release.

On that topic: don't spend Tokens unless you need that card right away. Hold at least 6k in reserve for weeks when a new meta staple drops. It can easily save you three keys if you're close to collection complete.

And man, if anyone upset with the Spotlight system spends a single key in the upcoming two weeks, you are playin' yourself.

Beasteh posted:

Apparently grandmaster is going to be ridiculous according to the pros yelling about him

He's a 2-drop with a powerful ability. He might not be broken at release, but there's an above-average chance he'll end up in some bullshit sooner or later.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 7, 2024

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Grand Master is gonna make some very broken decks I’m sure

And he’s gonna be 0 power, surely it’s Mr Negative’s time to shine finally! (It’s not)

Spotlight system would be fine or even good if token acquisition wasn’t a joke, but you’ve gotta accept that you will not be collection complete ever unless you’re a complete whale, and just ask yourself if the game itself is still fun every once in a while

wyoak fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 7, 2024

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

wyoak posted:

And he’s gonna be 0 power, surely it’s Mr Negative’s time to shine finally! (It’s not)

I've long said that the real problem with Negative decks is a lack of things to do before Turn 4 and Grand Master doesn't fix that. There's the reason the best version of Negative right now is running Sunspot and Nebula. At least with them down you're getting some kinda value when you pass on 2 and 3.

When I look at Grandmaster I think something like Bounce. Between him and the next Season Pass card (Black Swan, On Reveal: Until the end of next turn, your 1-Cost cards cost 0) I feel like the recursive 1-drop spam could get pretty oppressive.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DeepDickPizza posted:

Why do all the people that bitch the most also have zero clue or inclination to work within the system? Caiera is cool, but why would you give yourself a literal coinflip to get her if you knew the other 3 slots would disappoint you? Now you’ve hosed yourself for the next good week and started the disappointment cycle over. Meanwhile, people using their keys wisely are getting 2 or 3 new cards.

For the record, I used 3 of 4 saved keys to get her, but I like both the variants and think the next couple of weeks are weak. My sympathy is limited when people can’t even attempt to use the system in a strategic way.

Stockpiling keys to get the cards you want doesn't work out so well when, each time you want a specific card, you end up burning 4 keys.

I was blown away when I got Blob with just 1 key. That reaction would seem to indicate an extremely flawed system (for the user, anyway).

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Somewhere someone is opening their target card in 1/2 boxes every week and thinks the system is great, at the expense of the rest of us

It's me, sorry! I don't actually think the system is great, but I've been getting real lucky with keys this past month and have barely hit any duds

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Red posted:

Stockpiling keys to get the cards you want doesn't work out so well when, each time you want a specific card, you end up burning 4 keys.

I was blown away when I got Blob with just 1 key. That reaction would seem to indicate an extremely flawed system (for the user, anyway).

It isn't flawed. It's meant to allow new players to catch up on their collection relatively quickly while making it hard to maintain a full collection so whales have something to spend money on.

It does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CJ posted:

It isn't flawed. It's meant to allow new players to catch up on their collection relatively quickly while making it hard to maintain a full collection so whales have something to spend money on.

It does that.

And, again, "whale" is a very relative term here. You can obtain 80% of new cards for $9.99 per month, and 100% of cards for ~$60 per month. That is pretty mild as CCGs go.