Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

embarrassingly inadequate

ok if this penalty is for every investor in the hedge fund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

what on earth are you smoking

Sorry, was thinking of the autoclaves they use for certain components. The 787’s body is centrifugally wound though! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmmrkswDHp0

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

where does that asterisk lead at the end of “Not you!*”

probably something about begging your friends and relatives to pay for it via their housebuilt gofundme alternative

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

cool av posted:

ok if this penalty is for every investor in the hedge fund

Lmao at the “over 100” though for # of homes.

Any type of landlord needs the guillotine.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

spiritual bypass posted:

probably something about begging your friends and relatives to pay for it via their housebuilt gofundme alternative

lol is that what the card is

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

what on earth are you smoking

some of the Boeing plane hulls i think the 787 are CFRP. The 737 max is not to my understanding and is aluminum. and none of them are whatever that poster said.

edit yeah that video is correct.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Business Gorillas posted:

My one friend has been complaining about insomnia lately. We recently found out his fiancee sleeps with the TV on at full volume and needs it to the point where she wakes up if it's turned off

Normalize separate bedrooms.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RealityWarCriminal posted:

fun fact aeroplanes use bolts instead of welds because a cracked weld will propagate while a failed bolt will only fail that bolt, usually

Italian tanks were riveted so badly that they could be taken out with a hand grenade: the vibration would be so strong the tank would shake itself apart

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

that polymer is a real pain the rear end. it’s only allowed to be out of refrigeration for so many minutes and they ship it internationally.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

"centrifugal casting" is an entirely different process, they wrap a mandrel in prepreg tow for aircraft structures. Centrifugal casting is when you spin a big drum and spray material on the inside (or in the context of making scrimscrams or little things, using a centrifuge to let your casting material fill the molds)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Italian tanks were riveted so badly that they could be taken out with a hand grenade: the vibration would be so strong the tank would shake itself apart

Mama Mia

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

737 MAX SUCKED ME OFF???

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

population growth also rose by 3m but only 1.6m jobs were added, so that's what, another 1.5million without a job?

Well it's normal for a significant portion of the total population to not be working. Children, students, disabled people, retirees, stay at home parents (lol).

I guess we're trying to get rid of all that stuff though

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

some of the Boeing plane hulls i think the 787 are CFRP. The 737 max is not to my understanding and is aluminum. and none of them are whatever that poster said.

edit yeah that video is correct.

Justin Tyme posted:

"centrifugal casting" is an entirely different process, they wrap a mandrel in prepreg tow for aircraft structures. Centrifugal casting is when you spin a big drum and spray material on the inside (or in the context of making scrimscrams or little things, using a centrifuge to let your casting material fill the molds)

Yeah, they do centrifugally cast some components but I was misremembering the centrifugally spun 787 fuselage and it being loaded into the world’s (still?) largest autoclaves.

I’m used to the pipe world where companies making RFRP and other piping interchange “centrifugal cast” and “centrifugal mold” even though they’re referring to the same process.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43W8lC3csRU

atc/pilot audio and flight track

pilot sounds as scared as you would imagine someone in an aircraft that just explosively decompressed above 16,000 feet would be

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm building diaper equity.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

In Training posted:

I hope I don't get fired this year Lol. Heres to 2024. I think it's gonna be a wild one.

I won't because I'm a valuable and respected employee

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Xaris posted:

cant afford diapers? take out a line of credit

What the gently caress

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zerg Mans posted:

I won't because I'm a valuable and respected employee

you'll be fired from posting

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DaysBefore posted:

What the gently caress

idk if it makes it better but it's just a normal credit card that gives you reward points you can use for free diapers, or once your kid outgrows diapers some kid savings trust account or something

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Oldest Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43W8lC3csRU

atc/pilot audio and flight track

pilot sounds as scared as you would imagine someone in an aircraft that just explosively decompressed above 16,000 feet would be

haha "uh, Seattle we'd like to go down."

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

idk if it makes it better but it's just a normal credit card that gives you reward points you can use for free diapers, or once your kid outgrows diapers some kid savings trust account or something

so…who pays for the dypers

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

i am harry posted:

where does that asterisk lead at the end of “Not you!*”

It's an existential asterisks. "You" is "you" at this moment.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

i am harry posted:

Here's a simple explanation:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i am harry posted:

not you!*

*After $1600 in spend to earn enough reward points for a single box of diapers

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, they do centrifugally cast some components but I was misremembering the centrifugally spun 787 fuselage and it being loaded into the world’s (still?) largest autoclaves.

I’m used to the pipe world where companies making RFRP and other piping interchange “centrifugal cast” and “centrifugal mold” even though they’re referring to the same process.

its still not centrifugally spun, the barrel mandrel rotates slowly as prepreg carbon fiber tows are laid down, layer by layer, by a heated head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmmrkswDHp0

the 777X wing autoclaves (120+ feet) are now even bigger (at least in length) than the 787 autoclaves are (80ft?), to accommodate the main spar of the wing which is a single piece of carbon fiber and over 100 feet long

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh, well, it's not worse. I guess

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

George H.W. oval office posted:

not you!*

yeah but you also get some for just signing up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

not you!*

How do you pay for insurance on a credit card. Gyms too actually.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
wonder where that kid was sitting to have their shift fly off because kids can’t sit in exit rows.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

In Training posted:

How do you pay for insurance on a credit card. Gyms too actually.

you don't?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

sonatinas posted:

wonder where that kid was sitting to have their shift fly off because kids can’t sit in exit rows.

it's not an exit row because that wasn't an exit in their configuration

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In my experience they only take bank account info and just take money directly. Or it comes out of a paycheck

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Xaris posted:

No, it was a door, or rather, a spot for a door. for the high-capacity mega-sardine can version, they need to have an additional emergency door. but not all versions need it so they use a fake door plug in the frame instead. they used to make outward opening doors but learned they kept popping off. that's why all doors are now designed to swing inward in planes because the pressure keeps them from loving popping out. it looks like the plug was just a |_| -shape version wherein the plug should have been the same sort of /_\ design as well as if it was a door

Lmao that they build airplanes like they built my Chevy Cruze. I just have the LT trim so there's a few plugs where the sun roof controls go for the more expensive LTZ trim

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

In my experience they only take bank account info and just take money directly. Or it comes out of a paycheck

every month, 2% cash back

... on a goddamn exchange plan that's north of $1200 but yeah, credit cards all the way

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the Max, Boeing’s most profitable product :thunk:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Lmao that they build airplanes like they built my Chevy Cruze. I just have the LT trim so there's a few plugs where the sun roof controls go for the more expensive LTZ trim

about that

quote:

The crashed Lion Air 737 MAX and the Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX aircraft had more in common than aircraft design and the apparently malfunctioning flight system that led to their demises. Both of the planes lacked optional safety features that would have alerted the pilots to problems with their angle of attack (AOA) sensors—the input suspected of causing the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) software to put both aircraft into a fatal dive.

The New York Times reports that both vehicles lacked an "AOA disagree" light—a warning light that indicates when the aircraft's two AOA sensors provide different readings—and an angle of attack indicator. Since the MCAS system relied only on one of the aircraft's AOA sensors, the disagree light and AOA indicator would have given the flight crew visible evidence of a sensor failure and prompted them to disable the MCAS. But both of these features were sold by Boeing as expensive add-ons. And many discount and smaller airlines declined to purchase them, as they were not required by regulators.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/03/boeing-sold-safety-feature-that-could-have-prevented-737-max-crashes-as-an-option/

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's not an exit row because that wasn't an exit in their configuration

going to disagree with you on whether it was an exit row in that plane's configuration

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

going to disagree with you on whether it was an exit row in that plane's configuration

I guess you'd be right if you said it was an emergency exit row 😂😂🤣🤣😂🤣😂😭😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EglX3ugBbSM