Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

bred posted:

I had some throat irritation yesterday morning and increased irritation this morning. We rode bikes to the park and I was feeling a little more tired than usual. I used a Lucira test from the pile and it showed positive. The Lucira expired in October 2023 so I took a current Abbot test to confirm but it showed negative. My wife had a sore throat a week ago but never tested positive so I'm wondering if I have one of the not covid diseases. We want to play it safe. Family tested negative with current tests. I'm isolating in the bedroom wearing a vflex. I'm just sitting here with a laptop so I searched and do not see a date extension for the Lucira on https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests. I'm having thoughts trying to rationalize a false positive: it was expired, the other test was negative, etc. but we'll stay isolating.

The next decision is to start paxlovid or not. I have 5 days of pax and another 5 days are ready at CVS. I used Sesame Care (https://sesamecare.com/covid) and the visit was free for me in CA. A Texas doctor called me immediately. I was still clicking through the pages. I'm going back and forth about taking the pax now or waiting for more symptoms. I know the earlier the better but it is a limited resource and I only want to use it if I have Covid. This is my first positive test result ever. I'd say symptoms started Friday so that is day 0, today is day 1, so I think I'll wait to start paxlovid until I have a positive test from a not expired test or if symptoms worsen by Sunday or Monday, day 2 or 3.

As far as I know false negatives are very common and false positives are not and I've never read anything about expired tests having a higher false positive rate (if anything, the reverse).

You do you in terms of the pax, as IANAD and can only speak for what I'd do (pax attax!) but if you are symptomatic and have one positive test I would assume that you do, in fact, have COVID. Sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bred posted:

I had some throat irritation yesterday morning and increased irritation this morning. We rode bikes to the park and I was feeling a little more tired than usual. I used a Lucira test from the pile and it showed positive. The Lucira expired in October 2023 so I took a current Abbot test to confirm but it showed negative. My wife had a sore throat a week ago but never tested positive so I'm wondering if I have one of the not covid diseases. We want to play it safe. Family tested negative with current tests. I'm isolating in the bedroom wearing a vflex. I'm just sitting here with a laptop so I searched and do not see a date extension for the Lucira on https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests. I'm having thoughts trying to rationalize a false positive: it was expired, the other test was negative, etc. but we'll stay isolating.

The next decision is to start paxlovid or not. I have 5 days of pax and another 5 days are ready at CVS. I used Sesame Care (https://sesamecare.com/covid) and the visit was free for me in CA. A Texas doctor called me immediately. I was still clicking through the pages. I'm going back and forth about taking the pax now or waiting for more symptoms. I know the earlier the better but it is a limited resource and I only want to use it if I have Covid. This is my first positive test result ever. I'd say symptoms started Friday so that is day 0, today is day 1, so I think I'll wait to start paxlovid until I have a positive test from a not expired test or if symptoms worsen by Sunday or Monday, day 2 or 3.

You probably won't get a positive on a RAT for several more days. If you're able to, I'd suggest getting another Lucira, Metrix, etc. and retesting with that.

The problem with just waiting for symptoms to worsen and then starting pax is that you might have RSV or flu or something instead of COVID.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

As far as I know false negatives are very common and false positives are not and I've never read anything about expired tests having a higher false positive rate (if anything, the reverse).

You do you in terms of the pax, as IANAD and can only speak for what I'd do (pax attax!) but if you are symptomatic and have one positive test I would assume that you do, in fact, have COVID. Sorry :(

Luciras do have a false positive failure mode that's higher than advertised, we had one in my house at one point.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I had one false positive lucira from a 2022 test and then I got a PCR to confirm it was definitely false a few days later.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
It's :rubby: to me to be sitting here with (more significantly) shrieking ears, and at the same time having no idea if this will fade over the next ~9 months or not, but being very sure that numerous people early on in the pandemic assurred me that my concerns about this specific thing were based on my own fears and not the already-then-mounting pile of evidence that COVID can do fucky things to your ears.

If this does end up just being my new normal, that's not great, but also makes me feel better about all the mitigation efforts we've taken and continue to, because we avoided the loving thing for a long time, so even if I'm More Forever hosed now, well, I got a couple extra years of less physical disability.

I set up corsis in the house and I'm unboxing a rabbit air now but the main behavioral change I need to make is just fuckin masking up the second I get the sense any of the other 3 people I live with are even slightly off.

That's still going to expose me to more risk than I like, but wearing an n95 every day around a seemingly healthy familty still feels like a bridge too far. If I get COVID again and end up too disabled to work, that's when I'll go full Howie Mandell :allears:

I realize how stupid and defeatist that sounds. If that poo poo happens I hope it just fuckin kills me because my family is way better insured against my fast death, than they would be against Slow Decline And Insanity!

This post is intended to have the bite of dark comedy but if it just sucks I'll shut up or accept my sixer or w/e. gently caress.

EEEEEEEREeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEE

The Oldest Man posted:

Luciras do have a false positive failure mode that's higher than advertised, we had one in my house at one point.
good to know, thanks

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
c&k do you know what pitch it is

just curious more than anything

I probably wouldn't have the fortitude to persist if I had tinnitus. you're doin ok, keep your family safe and keep on truckin.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

c&k do you know what pitch it is

just curious more than anything

I probably wouldn't have the fortitude to persist if I had tinnitus. you're doin ok, keep your family safe and keep on truckin.

It is a set of tones, pretty hard to pin down but generally in the 12-14khz range which shockingly is where I have a unilateral notch in my hearing! Had the poo poo since '99, got worse at an insanely loud concert I should have left in 2010. When it's the least bothersome it's a background hiss; at worst it's a foreground set of insane oscillating stereo effects.

It's one of those things that's reeaaaallly down to how severe it is, and also how a person's brain interacts with it. When it's really bad and floats into hyperacusis territory (which has been a thing on and off lately, which is one way I know I'm having some issues because generally my sound tolerance has been fine for years) then it's basically a pain condition, and no one handles that too well. When it's "just" a noise, people like me with OCD and generalized issues with anxiety/fight-or-flight, tend to do a lot worse than people who are less inwardly fixated.

I wish I didn't have it and I hope some of the space-tech in the works hits market soon; at the same time, I'm able to work, I'm able to enjoy time with my family and on my own, and that remains true to a somewhat lessened degree despite COVID bullshit so I'm just trying to stay COVID negative and disease negative and psychologically positive. "I want more time to make good on the promises that I made to the world, when the world was moving slower" as Justin Sullivan sang, so for the moment here I stay.

Taking a low dose of mushrooms at the beginning of the week was subjectively unpleasant but left me feeling a lot more positive about all this stuff in the days to follow, so, given the way the research seems to be pointing, might repeat that little experiment. I'm also stacking up on the specific probiotic organisms that have shown up in research lately. Interestingly enough, some of those same probiotics are implicated in prior research specifically looking at tinnitus, because tinnitus has pretty clear neurological correlates in terms of lower GABA levels and serotonin signaling, and both of those things appear to be manipulated by Bifo (and lacto) bacteria.

My tinnitus is also "weird" in that it can seem loving deafening, even in a relatively loud environment, but if I go to a quiet room and then rub my fingers together next to my ear, that quiet rubbing (ballkpark like 40-45db, this is used as an extremely crude test for severe hearing loss, as people with severe hearing loss cannot hear the rubbing) is louder than the ringing. But, you know, if I walk into Union Station at rush hour, the ringing seems to rise over the din.

This is one reason I live in the middle of the woods, where there's basically no constant noise, and the intermittant redneck quartersticks tend to happen at certain hours and also not be much over 70db from my porch.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 03:30 on Jan 7, 2024

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/kenneth33071904/status/1743490236808830989?s=46&t=vNKUIzc4nvqsPFaYLiXegw

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

and they say the Covid thread has no sense of humor.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Those poor phones :ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fake news.

It is not possible that it was under four hundred and twenty parts per million.

Praise James Watt. 🙏

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

(..)
It is not possible that it was under four hundred and twenty parts per million.
(..)

Not accounting for air pressure difference at altitude. A shameful post.

Who are you and what have you done to Platystemon?

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Counterfeit fasteners have historically been one of the most profitable forms of conterfeiting and will probably continue to be so. Good QA programs just sort of assume they're a fact of life and have checks built into their procurement programs which you'd think would be a big part of the aviation industry but I guess they don't wanna spend that money.

It's funny/sad that this has been a known thing for longer than most of us has been alive, like there was a 60 minutes or w/e news segment on them in the 70's for causing planes to just drop engines while flying and yet it's still a thing we just sort of live with despite there being pretty effective known countermeisures.

We have the tools.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
what if the tools are counterfeit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

wear a respirator, breathe through whatever hole you want

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I got a false positive from a Lucira, and it wasn't even expired.

Speaking of, looks like Lucira tests are back on the market for home users, but I think I'll stick to Metrix tests for the foreseeable future. Just can't beat $25 for a molecular.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

spiritual bypass posted:

what if the tools are counterfeit

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

bred posted:

COVID-like symptoms AND a positive test of any kind? I'd be paxing up, no question, details be damned

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Patient with covid GBS pronounced dead :(

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Haha this is where I get to flex my esoteric chronically ill knowlege and Pro Lab Rat status a bit.

You're talking about Leneire, I think. I am not that high on Leneire because I think they are going rush-to-market based on a UK approval of a prior version of their tech, and they are VC backed in ways which rub me the wrong way as a veteran of the VC The Wrong Way World

that said

their tech is basically a rip-off* of technology being developed by UMich Ann Arbor. They have published results, too, which are "better" data than the Leneire `science` for reasons I won't derail here, but also their initial phase-I had 20 humans of which I was one so I am 5% of that group and lol yea man it loving works.

Knowing that it loving works and that I could actually build it myself from an aurduino if my distress and impatience exceeds my general regard for my own safety is a tremendous comfort but I do wish they would hurry the gently caress up

https://medicine.umich.edu/dept/otolaryngology/news/archive/202307/study-shows-promising-treatment-tinnitus

this is the followup to the study I was in. It's wild poo poo. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to make a thread somewhere, because beyond being hopefully a treatment for an obnoxiously awful thing I personally have, it represents an entirely novel way of generating targeted neuroplasticity.

Also there's CSPAM content there because when I was in the study I asked the researchers if they had considered the possibility of the CIA using it in the other direction as torture and I actually saw the researcher squirm, :rubby:

* the connection between UMich, University of Minnisota and Leniere people and research is a tangled web of money
This sounds awesome, I’m sorry for your awful tinnitus but hopefully relief is coming!

I’ve had tinnitus since I was a kid, most likely related to my left eardrum getting perforated, but thankfully it’s mostly in the background for me and pretty high pitch. Kinda just the background eeeee of the universe for me, but I sympathize with folks like you who have it real bad. Tbh I’m suspecting it’s gotten slightly worse in my middle age but I try not to worry about it too much…

anyway, I would be down to read more about this stuff if you made a thread!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I claim fair use on this comic strip.

In 1985, the alligator was an absurdity. “Nurses would not be casually reckless with the lives of infants in their care”, the reader would think.

In 2024, the alligator is a metaphor for SARS‑CoV‑2.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

I claim fair use on this comic strip.

In 1985, the alligator was an absurdity. “Nurses would not be casually reckless with the lives of infants in their care”, the reader would think.

In 2024, the alligator is a metaphor for SARS‑CoV‑2.

this metaphor fails because in the comic strip the nurse is making an effort to get rid of the alligator

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I've had forever tinnitus as long as I can remember and it's not a bother at all, so there's not a certainty it would be terrible for you were you to experience it. Especially after some adjustment. For me the permanent level (i.e. not from near-past exposure to really loud noises or other seconds long extra tinnitus causes) is no more distracting or annoying than a regular room fan being on somewhere nearby. It mostly or totally disappears from perception if there's other sounds, like a regular room fan being on somewhere nearby, unless I focus on listening for it. It's just the normal sound of silence as far as I'm concerned. It sounds like the "ultrasonic" bird dispersers, which for better or worse I can still hear at some settings. Or the whine from CRT monitors and some other kinds of electronic equipment. Similarly the pitches are generally 12-15kish frequencies like C&K. If I heard actual silence, I have a vague feeling to guess it would be more unnerving (at least initially) than the tinnitus I have at this point.

My tinnitus is also "weird" in that it can seem loving deafening, even in a relatively loud environment, but if I go to a quiet room and then rub my fingers together next to my ear, that quiet rubbing (ballkpark like 40-45db, this is used as an extremely crude test for severe hearing loss, as people with severe hearing loss cannot hear the rubbing) is louder than the ringing. But, you know, if I walk into Union Station at rush hour, the ringing seems to rise over the din.
This seems like a more unfortunate situation though, as do some of the few other post-covid ones I've read about.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I got a false positive from a Lucira, and it wasn't even expired.
The kind of amplification chemistry used by Lucira, LAMP, is notorious for false positives. Much worse than antigen tests and PCR in that regard. However the symptoms certainly nudge things in the "maybe not false positive" direction.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
After having my tinnitus transform over time, I will say that it comes in many levels of style and severity, and some modes are much more unbearable than others. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I haven't been poking my head in much in the last year or so because I've still been bunkering down at home and, well, nothing's changed (keep wearing appropriate PPE in public, and don't share air with anybody outside my household), but, gently caress, I really need to vent, and I don't know of a better audience.

I've been looking for a dentist for a while now, here around Seattle. I've gotten some good recommendations from folks, but the problem is, every time I look them up, they're out of network for my dental insurance (an Aetna HMO plan, meaning I get zero out of network coverage). Near as I can tell, the only places that are actually in network for me are big chain companies like Bright Now or Gentle Dental (who aren't gonna give a poo poo about COVID; if they acknowledge it exists at all, it'll be performative bullshit like wiping down pens between uses). And, it's been several years since I've been to the dentist, so I probably need some stuff done. Meanwhile, my health insurance is trying to stick me for almost $10k (that I don't have) for poo poo, and with that hanging over my head, I can't really afford to go out of pocket, either. Plus my heart's been hosed up since before COVID ever started, so if I do get it, I'm probably pretty screwed.

I loving hate that everything in this shithole country is a business. I hate that I can't even go to the loving dentist because people had to get their microwaved Applebee's so badly that we collectively threw the entire concept of public health in the trash. I hate that every time I visit my cardiologist's office, the people in the waiting room skew younger and younger, and nobody seems to think that's at all odd. I hate that teeth (and eyes) are not considered to be part of the body for the purposes of healthcare.

Everything in this country (not just COVID- and healthcare-related) is just set up in the most malicious way possible, and I'm so incredibly tired of the assholes who pretend any of it has any redeeming qualities whatsoever. I just don't know what to do here. I'll figure something out, somehow, but . . . gently caress.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kreeblah posted:

I haven't been poking my head in much in the last year or so because I've still been bunkering down at home and, well, nothing's changed (keep wearing appropriate PPE in public, and don't share air with anybody outside my household), but, gently caress, I really need to vent, and I don't know of a better audience.

I've been looking for a dentist for a while now, here around Seattle. I've gotten some good recommendations from folks, but the problem is, every time I look them up, they're out of network for my dental insurance (an Aetna HMO plan, meaning I get zero out of network coverage). Near as I can tell, the only places that are actually in network for me are big chain companies like Bright Now or Gentle Dental (who aren't gonna give a poo poo about COVID; if they acknowledge it exists at all, it'll be performative bullshit like wiping down pens between uses). And, it's been several years since I've been to the dentist, so I probably need some stuff done. Meanwhile, my health insurance is trying to stick me for almost $10k (that I don't have) for poo poo, and with that hanging over my head, I can't really afford to go out of pocket, either. Plus my heart's been hosed up since before COVID ever started, so if I do get it, I'm probably pretty screwed.

I loving hate that everything in this shithole country is a business. I hate that I can't even go to the loving dentist because people had to get their microwaved Applebee's so badly that we collectively threw the entire concept of public health in the trash. I hate that every time I visit my cardiologist's office, the people in the waiting room skew younger and younger, and nobody seems to think that's at all odd. I hate that teeth (and eyes) are not considered to be part of the body for the purposes of healthcare.

Everything in this country (not just COVID- and healthcare-related) is just set up in the most malicious way possible, and I'm so incredibly tired of the assholes who pretend any of it has any redeeming qualities whatsoever. I just don't know what to do here. I'll figure something out, somehow, but . . . gently caress.
Yeah I hear you and share your frustrations, goon. The fact that even local vet's and doctor's offices are being gobbled up and gutted by private equity is extremely depressing.

On a more pragmatic level, there might well be a relative lull after this big JN.1 wave. Timing your visit for that would probably be your best bet if you can't find anything Covid-safe. (That's what I'm having to do, too...)

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

louisgod has a tinnitus thread in e/n, there's a few of us. my tinnitus mostly gets annoyed by cannabis nowadays

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:iiam:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4392133-fears-tripledemic-surging/ posted:

Why fears over a ‘tripledemic’ are surging

Cases of three major respiratory viruses — the flu, COVID-19 and RSV — are surging
(..)
:ms:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
There are a bunch of this type of article, which aren't really interesting enough to quote on their own, but are interesting as a pattern:

There are many more, for different states. More or less the same.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
So I've been listening to Naomi Klein's "Doppelganger," her book centered on how she has been getting incessantly confused with disgraced conspiracy fanatic Naomi Wolfe and what it says about identity in the modern world and all kinds of other things. The book talks about covid a lot because one of Wolfe's main things nowadays is anti-vaxx lunacy. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when Klein approvingly cited something written by Bea from Death Panel re: how we could be using so many non-vaxx things like NPIs to control the virus. Worlds are colliding, in a good way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Klein was on the Death Panel for an hour or so, and she wasn’t terrible there.

Shame about cheering for millions of deaths in China.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
:smith:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Interesting (Marc Johnson you may recall does sewershed variant tracking):
https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1743737356820033814

To answer the question posed at the end of the thread, it would be very very bad.

Nitter thread: https://nitter.net/SolidEvidence/status/1743737350721622458#m

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

hey can someone post a link to that opera house or whatever that was built after the influenza pandemic with better ventilation?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

To answer the question posed at the end of the thread, it would be very very bad.

Nitter thread: https://nitter.net/SolidEvidence/status/1743737350721622458#m
I'm surprised he even posed it as a question :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wrex Ruckus posted:

hey can someone post a link to that opera house or whatever that was built after the influenza pandemic with better ventilation?

Vancouver’s Orpheum

https://cleanairstars.com/item/the-orpheum/

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Big round of applause to the public health authorities of Ohio, you did it! :coronatoot:

Ohio surpassed their Omicron wave.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

I'm surprised he even posed it as a question :confused:

Yeah, I don't know what kind of mental contortion happened there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only way it could possibly be good to have two antigenically distinct strains circulating would be if real world pathogens worked like that door gag in The Simpsons.

It’s very clearly a bad thing.

What’s next? Being unable to decide if we want the B/Yamagata lineage of influenza to stay gone or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Is it bad for public health if the virome turns into a grey goo of SARS-CoV-2 lineages? I'm not sure, but it will definitely make my job of cataloguing them all harder!